Start by marking “Black Alley” as Want to Read:
Black Alley

Black Alley (Mike Hammer #13)

3.42  ·  Rating Details  ·  221 Ratings  ·  25 Reviews
The grandmaster of crime fiction returns with a Mike Hammer thriller--and America's best known P.I. is literally a new man! A retired Hammer wakes from a near-death coma to find that he is at the center of a search for $89 billion in missing mob money. The mob suspects--rightly--that Hammer's friend has left a clue to the money's whereabouts. And to complicate matters, the ...more
Published November 1st 1996 by Dutton Books (first published January 1st 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Black Alley, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Black Alley

Jim
This is book 13 of the Mike Hammer series & the last one that Spillane did before he died, I believe. (Max Allan Collins has finished up a few more from Spillane's notes.) Unfortunately, it sucked. Mind you, I don't expect a lot out of Mike Hammer novels. They're ego-fests, first person shoot 'em ups with everyone realizing just how tough, smart, & wonderful Mike Hammer is. That's a pretty big anchor for any story to wear, but Spillane's brutal verbiage & a huge suspension of belief ...more
Ellen
Feb 11, 2016 Ellen rated it really liked it
Black Alley by Mickey Spillane.

Once in a while I might notice an old master in mysteries. An author or series that you don't often hear of lately. This book and author caught my eye while browsing in the library. An old Mike Hammer book that I thought might be an interesting read...and it was.

Mike is severely wounded and left unattended until a homeless man brings him to his make shift dwelling far away from the public eye. This homeless man turns out to be an educated medical doctor who nurses
Olean Public Library
Sep 08, 2009 Olean Public Library rated it really liked it
Mickey Spillane remains a revered crime writer and never fails to entertain. His characters P.I. Mike Hammer and Veda, Mike’s secretary find themselves in deep trouble. Pitted against a powerful mafia family and also a missing $89 billion in cash to find they are engaged in many adventures. Spillane holds his own with many modern mystery writers. Worth rereading!
Bettie☯

Description: The grandmaster of crime fiction returns with a Mike Hammer thriller--and America's best known P.I. is literally a new man! A retired Hammer wakes from a near-death coma to find that he is at the center of a search for $89 billion in missing mob money. The mob suspects--rightly--that Hammer's friend has left a clue to the money's whereabouts. And to complicate matters, the Feds are also in on the race for the cash.

Had this in storage for what seems like forever: time to get it gone
Ralph
Feb 19, 2014 Ralph rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime, mystery
Tough guy detective Mike Hammer is back from the grave, almost literally, for one last adventure. It begins with getting shot to pieces and left for dead at what was supposed to be a hit on the last of the big-time Mafia dons, arranged by one of the don's sons. After Hammer put a bullet in the face of the Kid-Who-Would-Be-Don, but before he enters what Hammer calls the "black alley," he is bundled into the back of a car by a once-alcoholic doctor who lost his license and is nursed back to a frag ...more
Ed
May 25, 2016 Ed rated it really liked it
#13 in the Mike Hammer series.

Mike Hammer series - Caught in a gangster shootout in New York City, Hammer takes two slugs in the gut. Triage teams leave the tough PI for dead, but a burned-out doctor, wasting away in dockside bars, reclaims his professional pride and brings Hammer back from the brink. Mending slowly, Hammer learns that his old war buddy, Marcos Dooley, has been shot. As he dies, Dooley gives a Hammer a clue regarding $89 billion in cash, crime proceeds hidden by old-guard mobste
Joel Mitchell
This was my first Spillane book, and I was not very impressed. The plot was weak and rather predictable; Mike Hammer spent the entire novel recovering from being gut shot and stressed out (where's the much-vaunted "tough guy"?); and there were major problems with the timeline (characters who had obviously been adults in the 1920's and 1950's all seemed to be no older than middle aged even though the story took place in the 90's).

The dust jacket heralded this as Spillane's triumphant return after
Carl Brookins
Jun 10, 2012 Carl Brookins rated it really liked it
It started with “I The Jury,” back in 1947 and continued for more than a dozen novels through the 1950’s. They were fast, hard-hitting and gritty. In the mystery field they made Mike Hammer a detective icon, much like Philip Marlowe of an earlier time. Hammer was, and is, a big, tough, take-no-prisoners P.I. He made the .45 cal automatic a cliché of the genre.

Hammer talked tough and acted tough and when he solved his cases, after bedding at least one of the principal women in the story, they sta
David
May 01, 2010 David rated it it was ok
I picked up this Spillane title at random, through the luck of the draw—i.e., what was on the library shelves—just to get a taste for the work. Just because Spillane was admired by Ayn Rand doesn't mean he's should be overlooked. But it turns out that there are better practitioners of gritty crime fiction from mid-century: Spillane can't match up to Thompson, Chandler, John D. MacDonald, Richard Price.

Black Alley is a late work, at a time of life for Spillane's hero Mike Hammer that he's ready t
Dale
Jul 17, 2012 Dale rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Mike Hammer almost kicks the bucket

...and he drives around a lot with a seeping gut wound, visits old friends, gets put in a coma, gets a marriage license and looks for $89 billion. Sounds like a lot of action, doesn't it? In reality, there's not too much going on here.

The series is not aging well. I find myself running the math figures on this 1997 book and most of Hammer's friends and contacts are in their 70s, 80s and 90s. One former Prohibition cop that he uses as an informant would be at
Metagion
Aug 10, 2012 Metagion rated it really liked it
Jeff Dickison
Just an okay Mike Hammer entry. In this one he nearly dies from a gunshot wound, finds 89 billion dollars worth of mafia money, and asks Velda (the shapely secretary) to marry him. Not to be taken seriously, recommended only to Hammer fans. Does anyone out there remember Frank Lovejoy playing Mike Hammer in the fifties television show?
Bill
Apr 19, 2013 Bill rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The plot is predictable; the characters are transparent; and the final solution lacks the shocking explosion of the other Hammer novels. This, the last entry in the Hammer series, fails to rise to the level of the earlier books in any ways. It is clumsily updated from the 50's feeling the first books had and now Mike Hammer, the toughest detective ever drinks Miller Lite, uses Sweet-N-Low, takes frequent naps and, perhaps, worst, plans to marry Velda (who must now be about 75 years old). Even th ...more
David Macpherson
May 28, 2014 David Macpherson rated it it was ok
Why do I do this to myself? Why do I pick the last book in a long running series for my first look at the series? This was my first Mike Hammer book. It might be my last. Wow, lousy plotting. Dull plot about the mob hiding eighty seven billion dollars somewhere in upstate new york. And then there is Mike Hammer, brave fellow. Dull. I am sure people love these books for a reason, but I didn't see it in this thing.
Ed Teja
Feb 18, 2014 Ed Teja rated it liked it
A typical Mike Hammer novel. Nicely paced and a convoluted story.
David Reynolds
Jun 23, 2014 David Reynolds rated it really liked it
First Mickey Spillane I've read. Thanks Marsha!!
Gamze Golden
Dec 26, 2014 Gamze Golden rated it liked it
Average.
Penny
Apr 01, 2015 Penny rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's been ages since I've read a Mickey Spillane book. I really enjoyed it.
Pilvi
Jul 13, 2008 Pilvi rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime
I really didn't like the book. Mike Hammer was annoying; "I-know-it-all" -type a guy. The basic idea of the story was good, but it was badly written. This surely was my first and last Spillane -book I read. All I can say, that the book was so bad, that I can't even write a decent review of it...
Charles
Oct 08, 2010 Charles rated it really liked it
I listened to this as an audio book. I like the Mike Hammer series, and this was set in the new millenium, in New York. Not like the old LA hard nosed detectives of the early 20th century. Still it was well written, I liked the plot.
Andrew
Dec 10, 2010 Andrew rated it it was amazing
Shelves:
A great example of noir. It was a quick read. Very fast paced. Straight to the point. I loved it. Can't wait to read more by him
AndrewP
Aug 12, 2011 AndrewP rated it liked it
Shelves: crime-detective
Started off thinking I had read this one, but turned out I had read the short story it was written from in Playboy.
Mark
Aug 21, 2012 Mark rated it did not like it
Shelves: mystery-noir
This is a horrible book, very poorly written. Things happen out of sequence. I hated it.
Ben
Jan 25, 2009 Ben rated it really liked it
Great read,, made me want to delve deeper into Spillane's library.
Ron Sadowski
Audio Book 8-30-04
DA Wolfe
DA Wolfe rated it really liked it
May 29, 2016
Cecilia Dunbar Hernandez
Cecilia Dunbar Hernandez rated it it was amazing
May 25, 2016
Oğuz Dinçer
Oğuz Dinçer rated it it was amazing
May 24, 2016
Fiona Theologous
Fiona Theologous rated it really liked it
May 15, 2016
  • Mike Hammer: Lady, Go Die!
  • More Beer
  • Worse than Dead (Inspector Drake #2)
  • Little Girl Lost (Hard Case Crime #4)
  • Stop This Man! (Hard Case Crime #58)
  • Shooting Star/Spiderweb (Hard Case Crime #42)
  • Say It With Bullets (Hard Case Crime #18)
  • Night Squad
  • The Fabulous Clipjoint
  • The Black Lizard Big Book of Black Mask Stories
  • The Max (Max & Angela, #3)
  • Murder for Christmas
  • Expiration Date
  • Eye Scream
  • The Twenty-Year Death (Hard Case Crime #108)
  • Every Brilliant Eye (Amos Walker, #6)
  • An Unlikely Hero (Alfie Bowman Novellas, #1)
  • Death Penalty (Charley Sloan, #2)
Mickey Spillane was one of the world's most popular mystery writers. His specialty was tight-fisted, sadistic revenge stories, often featuring his alcoholic gumshoe Mike Hammer and a cast of evildoers who launder money or spout the Communist Party line.

His writing style was characterized by short words, lightning transitions, gruff sex and violent endings. It was once tallied that he offed 58 peop
More about Mickey Spillane...

Mike Hammer (1 - 10 of 21 books)
  • I, the Jury  (Mike Hammer,  #1)
  • My Gun Is Quick
  • Vengeance Is Mine  (Mike Hammer, #3)
  • One Lonely Night