Start by marking “Sara Crewe What Happened at Miss Minchin's” as Want to Read:
Sara Crewe What Happened at Miss Minchin's

Sara Crewe What Happened at Miss Minchin's

4.16 of 5 stars 4.16  ·  rating details  ·  2,484 ratings  ·  47 reviews
Published in 1888, Sara Crewe by Frances Burnett is about a young girl, Sara, the daughter of a wealthy entrepreneur. Forced to leave her father as he travels to India in search of diamond mines, Sara makes the most of her time in a boarding house. Even after a severe reversal of fortunes due to the death of her father, she remains understanding and kind-hearted to her fel ...more
Published July 13th 2009 by ReadHowYouWant (first published 1888)

To ask other readers questions about Sara Crewe What Happened at Miss Minchin's, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sara Crewe What Happened at Miss Minchin's

emily
I can't help but think I am Sara Crewe.
Aubrey Hansen
After enjoying "A Little Princess" for many years, I was surprised to discover it had originally been published serially as a novella in a magazine. It was very interesting to read the original novella and see the story that inspired my favorite novel. Not surprisingly, the novella isn't as charming or complete as the novel, but it is still a fun read.

***
An older review salvaged from my blog archives:

As the predecessor to A Little Princess, the novella Sara Crewe is a simplified shadow of the no
Emily
Sara Crewe, or What Happened atMiss Minchin's, the original version of The Little Princess. Sara Crewe was written in 1888 and FHB didn't revise it into A Little Princess until 1905. All those years and people only had this small novella about a girl whose fortunes are double-reversed. It's an interesting read and an astute reader with a love of A Little Princess would pick up thousands more little tweaks than I did. An angry Sara knocks Emily to the ground. In ALP, Sara is so dedicated to her p ...more
Elaine
A Little Princess is one of my all-time favorite books, but I had never read the original story, Sara Crewe. ( A Little Princess was a rewrite of Sara Crewe.) I enjoy the rewrite so much that this book wasn't as entertaining, I missed some of my favorite characters, yet the basic part of the story was there and that I did enjoy. I wish I would have read this first, then A Little Princess. If you've read neither, I recommend starting with this book.
Librarianista11
Sara Crewe: Or What Happened at Miss Minchin's is the original telling of Frances Hodgson Burnett's The Little Princess. The story of Sara, the extremely bright young daughter of Captain Crewe, who was placed in a boarding school only to become orphaned and then treated as a servant by Miss Minchin, was originally published as a serial novella in St. Nicholas Magazine in 1888. It was republished in 1988 by G. P. Putnam's Sons and featured the artwork of Margot Tomes.

This shorter version of the w
Marti
My favorite book as a child, and the first book I ever read more than once.
Anastasya Harahap
I really love to read this novel. I love how strong Sara is and how kind Sara is. Because Sara still kind-hearted although she knows that she is a rich girl. Burnett made me hate Miss Minchin's, evil chef, Lavinia and her friends. But, in the other side the story made us (reader) knew about the means of friendship with Sara's relationship with Becky, Lottie and other kind-friends. If there is Sara in this world. I will be the first person who fall in love with her. YOU MUST READ THIS NOVEL, FOR ...more
Natashio
I love to read but am not much of a writer so I know I'll follow short in describing how much this book means to me.

I don't remember when or how I got the book, but I do remember when I read it for the first time. There's something about this little novella that absolutely makes time and space stop. The reader is instantly transported to another time and place where Sara Crewe, a once privileged and spoiled child is left destitute and at the hands of Miss Minchin. I haven't read the book in yea
Dominika
Frances Hodgson Burnett könyveit valami varázslat járja át, akárhányszor az ember kezébe kerülnek! A padlásszoba kis hercegnője ugyanolyan örömet okozott, mint a többi könyve. Legszívesebben minden héten olvasnék valamit az írónőtől. Tiszta, kedves történetek. Milyen jó is lenne, ha én is egy ilyen padlásszobában lakhatnék! :)
Joanne G.
Although I usually despise abridged versions, I read this as a child and was unaware of the full version of A Little Princess. In this case, however, it is the author who first presented Sara Crewe as the novella and then later fleshed it out into a complete novel, so it isn't as if a stranger stripped an author's words and intentions out of a story. This is a perfect version for the younger child to take on.

Sara is placed in a boarding school in London when her father becomes concerned for her
Heather
I love this book and it probably has a lot to do with the copy that I read. It belonged to my Great Grandmother. She got the book the Christmas after she graduated high school in 1900. I think book began my love of period literature. Although to my great grandmonther this would have been contemporary literature. Sara is an orphan who lives at Miss Minchin's. The story tells her adventure and hope of finding a new fmaily after the loss parents. I think there was something magical for me, as a you ...more
Susan Bell
I loved this book as a child; I recently caught the old Shirley Temple film (which changes the ending) and thought I would do a re-read. Well worth it. Nice when some childhood memories hold up to the test of time.
PurplyCookie
The same basic heartwarming story as "A Little Princess" with fewer details and some character changes. There is no Becky, Capt. Crewe's friend is old and fat, plus there were different interactions with neighbor families. There are contradictions; first Sara cries for several days after her father leaves and a few pages later, it says that Sara never cries.

Quite interesting to see the author's storyline in another version.

More of Purplycookie’s Reviews @: http://www.goodreads.com/purplycookie
Jukka
Sara Crewe - Frances Hodgson Burnett

Really loved this. It's novella size, and more fairy-tale than realism in style though i'm not sure that was entirely the author's intent. There are a few rough spots, perhaps from dated perspectives -- for instance referring to Lascar as a slave, actually the whole Lascar character, but all together this is really an emotional sort of book with heart.

I'd say more but that would spoil the story, go ahead and find this for yourself.

You probably already know, bu
Austen to Zafón
I have my grandmother's tattered copy printed in 1890-something and I remember poring over the detailed engravings in the book as a kid. I loved the story and the way in which Sara used her imagination to hep her cope with the sadness and cruelty she encountered. As an adult, I read the longer version that Burnett cranked out later, A Little Princess," and I didn't think that it had the same punch as the original did. and I love Birch's illustrations. This version is no longer under copyright an ...more
Megan Li
this book was the best it got my attention and i didn't want to ever put the book down
Lorelei
Just as wonderful as when I first read it.
JoAnn
I have my Grandmother's copy printed in 1892. I remember looking at the beautiful pictures before I was old enough to read it myself and then finally realizing on one visit that I could read it and so I did in one weekend visit. That was many years ago, and my memory has been somewhat corrupted by movies of the story, but I do remember being fascinated as I discovered the story that went with the illustrations. An entirely worthwhile read.
K.J. Klemme
I have my grandmother's copy and I cherish it. I actually prefer this one to "The Little Princess," as Sara is very alone. There isn't a Becky living in the room next to her.
Kat
I decided to check this out since A Little Princess has been one of my favorite books since I was about 8, and I always liked Sara's philosophy that one can always behave like a true princess. This is a much thinner version of the story, but still interesting to check out for completionist purposes.

The reading is sadly mediocre -- a bit too slow and robotic -- but it's not unbearable for such a short piece.
josey
I got this book for free on kindle. Tried reading it and almost deleted it, but then I tried it again and it was delightful. A young girl from India is sent to a boarding school in London because the heat in India is too much for her health. Her father dies, and she then become penniless. But due to her character, her charity towards another girl, her life eventually changes.
Sara
Thank goodness for Goodreads recommendations! I had this paperback but I got it used so 1/2 the cover was torn off but I remembered the psychedelic coloring. I remembered a book about a girl named Sara who was forced to live in the attic. I liked the book but unfortunately I don't remember much about it.
Judy
Sara Crewe, sadly mistreated by the headmistress of the "Select School" after her father's death, gets through the worst times by using her imagination (and by her generosity to another who was worse off than she). A happy ending and the basis for "The Little Princess." Another free download to my Kindle.
Carisa
This was basically a shorter version of "The Little Princess". It was a fast good read. I read it in the car coming home from a trip. I liked picking out the differences between the book I was reading and the movie I watched. This is a good book for the young reader. Less that 100 pages and fast to read!
Juliet
I read this book in the 3rd grade, I think, and fell in love with the story of the little girl in sad circumstances who finds a happy ending. I forgot the title for many years and finally remembered it and searched to find a copy for my growing library. I would highly recommend this book.
Nagisa
A short version of A Little Princess. I recommend reading this first, and then A Little Princess which will give you more details, if you're going to read them both.
Jessica
As 'A Little Princess' is one of the books I loved most as a child, it was interesting to read the original version of the story. However, I'd recommend reading 'A Little Princess' first - this is good, but the final book is in another league entirely.
A.D. Morel
Like it? Nooo, way beyond like. I own two copies, does that say something? Now I get to enjoy it as an ebook, but how will they handle the amazing illustrations? really the technology needs to address this matter for us ebook readers, and soon!
Zenny Kauser
What a superbly written, well structured, downright brilliant book! Could not put it down, an absolute joy to read, this beautiful story kept me enthralled the whole way. One of my favourites now, one I would read over and over.
  • Cold Cereal
  • And Then It's Spring
  • The Humming Room
  • Breaking Stalin's Nose
  • Penny and Her Song
  • Dick Whittington
  • An Enemy at Green Knowe (Green Knowe, #5)
  • Return to Gone-Away (Gone-Away Lake, #2)
  • Extra Yarn
  • The Dolls' House
  • Tales of St. Austin's (School Stories, #3)
  • The Wonderful Flight to the Mushroom Planet (Mushroom Planet, #1)
  • Paddington at Work (Paddington, #7)
  • Liesl & Po
  • Breadcrumbs
  • Cleopatra
  • Little House on the Prairie Boxed Set (Little House, #1-9)
  • A Garland for Girls
2041
Frances Eliza Hodgson was the daughter of ironmonger Edwin Hodgson, who died three years after her birth, and his wife Eliza Boond. She was educated at The Select Seminary for Young Ladies and Gentleman until the age of fifteen, at which point the family ironmongery, then being run by her mother, failed, and the family emigrated to Knoxville, Tennessee. Here Hodgson began to write, in order to sup ...more
More about Frances Hodgson Burnett...
The Secret Garden A Little Princess Little Lord Fauntleroy The Lost Prince The Secret Garden & A Little Princess