Start by marking “Twisted City” as Want to Read:
Twisted City

Twisted City

From the acclaimed noir novelist Jason Starr comes this savage portrait of a misanthropic man stuck in a New York nightmare. Written in caustic, streamlined prose, Twisted City is a chilling depiction of how quickly one's life can take a turn for the worst.

Times are tough for David Miller, a journalist for a second-rate financial magazine who hates his boss, is tired of su
Published December 18th 2007 by Vintage (first published July 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Twisted City, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Twisted City

Greg
I'm thinking of adding this term to urbandictionary.com. Bel Canto : Inspired by the 2001 PEN/Faulkner Award winning novel. To ruin an otherwise fine book with an out of left-field last chapter; to jack on one last unneeded chapter to a book causing the internal stability of the book/narrative to collapse on itself.

Example: Dude,
Twisted City, totally Bel Cantoed!

The last chapter was great and all, but it didn't fit in this book. I would have liked to read more of what was going on in that chap
Josh
Aug 02, 2014 Josh rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, read_2014
Jason Starr is perhaps the best writer of modern white collar noir I've come across. His stories are laced with an undercurrent of vehemence that steams from normalcy ever so delicately nurtured to noir. TWISTED CITY (published 2004) is everything I'd come to expect from a Jason Starr and then some. Early on Starr plants the seeds that something is a little off about the character lead in David Miller, a journalist for a financial magazine who is still mourning the death of his sister some time ...more
Travis Leamons
Jul 07, 2008 Travis Leamons rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Every time I read a Starr novel I'm almost grateful that I don't have a sixteen-fifty a month apartment in the Big Apple or work in advertising or for a business journal. Twisted City is no different. A slim 242 pages, Starr's novel is about a man who loses his wallet at a bar and from there gets entangled with dope fiends, a girlfriend who has way more baggage than she leads on, and the police. Nearing the end of the novel I wasn't sure as to why Starr called this novel Twisted City, but the la ...more
Electric
May 31, 2011 Electric rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
leichtfüßiger thriller der einen jungen mann in den abgrund begleitet. manchmal trifft es eben doch die richtigen. schnell erzählt, grandioser spannungsaufbau, tolle charaktere.
Kristen Shinn-shinn

This book was so frustrating! And what a WEIRD ending!
Ben
Nov 12, 2015 Ben rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A twisted pity.
David Bridges
Oct 16, 2016 David Bridges rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked the ending.
Leo Aramazd
HOLY BABY JESUS! o_O WTF WAS THIS?
First of all, I have to say that this is the first book I've read by Jason Starr (read it in German) and also the first time I'm reading this genre. I was amazed, yet disappointed at the same time. I was bored/frustrated, yet in some scenes so into it and carefully following up, wanting some kind of a BIG HAPPENING other than the sudden killing.
I was thinking the whole time "there's something twisted about this main character? Why isn't J. Starr not clarifying,
Ed Armstrong
Mar 27, 2010 Ed Armstrong rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Well, I guess anyone.
Recommended to Ed by: No One, picked it up in the library
OK, I accepted the "weird" ending on the first three of Starr's books that I read but I think the ending on this one is the weirdest of all of them. I'm sure that Starr has a purpose in doing this, who knows, maybe it's his trademark, his signature. For some reason though the books are compelling and I would not discourage others from reading them.

I "Twisted City" David Miller is a writing for a business magazine and he is eventually promoted to associate editor though I'm not sure if that reall
Betsy
May 13, 2012 Betsy rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: No one
I can't believe I read this whole book. This character was totally unbelievable and I had no patience with him or his situation. I've read plenty of books in which the characters lives went completely downhill, all the way to the bottom, and I developed sympathy and understanding for them. But this guy made one stupid, unlikely decision after another which required a complete suspension of belief.

The ending was fitting, and my own punishment for reading the book all the way to the end.
Frederick
Twisted City by Jason Starr Twisted City by Jason Starr - Twisted City is a twisted book, although you might not realize it right away. I loved the premise for this story - very original. The story itself was pretty cool too; wasn't so predictable like so many books. The ending left me scratching my head for a minute, but then that is part of why I liked it too.
Theodore Kopoukis
Having finished Cold Caller a couple months ago, I had a strong feeling of deja vu throughout Twisted City. By itself, it's excellent, but the many similarities made me want to rate it at 2 or 3 stars as the story was about to end. I'll have to give it to Starr though, I did not expect the twist at the very end. Well played, sir, well played.
D. B.
Jan 04, 2015 D. B. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I bought this book on a whim in a $0.99 Kindle sale, and it blew me away. I wasn't familiar with Jason Starr, but I thought this was a cleverly structured, seamy, insane thriller. I'm knocking it down one star because the ending came too abruptly.
Günter Wahl
About great sex of a thirtyfive year old journalist with a twentyfour year old modern dancer from Texas in New York City in the year 2005, the protagonist had lost his wallet with the credit cards to a pick pocket, the young woman could pay with favours she enjoyed.
Brandon Nagel
May 25, 2014 Brandon Nagel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent noir. One of my favorite Starr books to date. Things go from bad to worse on this train wreck of a story. An ending you will never see coming. Almost perfect.
Randall
Nov 17, 2008 Randall rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book leads you along and then punches you in the mouth. Then when you are about to get back up it kicks you in the gut.
A story of bad things that happen to, well not so good people.
Daniel Sevitt
Well that was just unpleasant. I don't mind a bit of nasty but this made me feel dirty. Horrible people making moronic decisions. Humorless and ugly.
Bill
Apr 22, 2010 Bill rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Entertaining noir detective thriller about a journalist who finds himself in trouble with criminals in New York.
Rioronin
Rioronin rated it it was amazing
May 20, 2016
Jonpaul
Jonpaul rated it really liked it
Dec 01, 2011
Cyber
Cyber rated it it was amazing
Apr 03, 2016
Simonne
Jan 08, 2016 Simonne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Twisted is right. But gotta love Jason Starr
Bryn Swartz
Bryn Swartz rated it it was ok
Apr 07, 2013
Jason DeGroot
Jason DeGroot rated it really liked it
Oct 23, 2011
Matthewosu
Matthewosu rated it really liked it
Sep 10, 2013
Kim DeNero
Kim DeNero rated it really liked it
Nov 27, 2007
Frederick
Frederick rated it it was amazing
Sep 08, 2016
I-am Damage
I-am Damage rated it liked it
Dec 20, 2012
Mathias
Mathias rated it liked it
Sep 30, 2012
Kj Mcleod
Kj Mcleod rated it really liked it
Nov 30, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Slide (Max & Angela, #2)
  • Fright (Hard Case Crime #34)
  • The Corpse Wore Pasties (Hard Case Crime, #62)
  • The Girl with the Long Green Heart (Hard Case Crime #14)
  • Nothing More Than Murder
  • The Cleanup
  • Street of No Return
  • Choke Hold
  • Soft Touch
  • Somebody Owes Me Money (Hard Case Crime #44)
  • Songs of Innocence (Hard Case Crime #33)
  • The Body Lovers
  • Robbie's Wife (Hard Case Crime #29)
  • Death's Dark Abyss