Start by marking “Twisted City” as Want to Read:
Twisted City

Twisted City

3.62 of 5 stars 3.62  ·  rating details  ·  170 ratings  ·  18 reviews
From the acclaimed noir novelist Jason Starr comes this savage portrait of a misanthropic man stuck in a New York nightmare. Written in caustic, streamlined prose, Twisted City is a chilling depiction of how quickly one's life can take a turn for the worst.

Times are tough for David Miller, a journalist for a second-rate financial magazine who hates his boss, is tired of su
Published December 18th 2007 by Vintage (first published July 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Twisted City, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Twisted City

Greg
I'm thinking of adding this term to urbandictionary.com. Bel Canto : Inspired by the 2001 PEN/Faulkner Award winning novel. To ruin an otherwise fine book with an out of left-field last chapter; to jack on one last unneeded chapter to a book causing the internal stability of the book/narrative to collapse on itself.

Example: Dude,
Twisted City, totally Bel Cantoed!

The last chapter was great and all, but it didn't fit in this book. I would have liked to read more of what was going on in that chap
Josh
Jason Starr is perhaps the best writer of modern white collar noir I've come across. His stories are laced with an undercurrent of vehemence that steams from normalcy ever so delicately nurtured to noir. TWISTED CITY (published 2004) is everything I'd come to expect from a Jason Starr and then some. Early on Starr plants the seeds that something is a little off about the character lead in David Miller, a journalist for a financial magazine who is still mourning the death of his sister some time ...more
Travis Leamons
Every time I read a Starr novel I'm almost grateful that I don't have a sixteen-fifty a month apartment in the Big Apple or work in advertising or for a business journal. Twisted City is no different. A slim 242 pages, Starr's novel is about a man who loses his wallet at a bar and from there gets entangled with dope fiends, a girlfriend who has way more baggage than she leads on, and the police. Nearing the end of the novel I wasn't sure as to why Starr called this novel Twisted City, but the la ...more
Leo Aramazd
HOLY BABY JESUS! o_O WTF WAS THIS?
First of all, I have to say that this is the first book I've read by Jason Starr (read it in German) and also the first time I'm reading this genre. I was amazed, yet disappointed at the same time. I was bored/frustrated, yet in some scenes so into it and carefully following up, wanting some kind of a BIG HAPPENING other than the sudden killing.
I was thinking the whole time "there's something twisted about this main character? Why isn't J. Starr not clarifying,
Electric
leichtfüßiger thriller der einen jungen mann in den abgrund begleitet. manchmal trifft es eben doch die richtigen. schnell erzählt, grandioser spannungsaufbau, tolle charaktere.
Ed Armstrong
Mar 27, 2010 Ed Armstrong rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Well, I guess anyone.
Recommended to Ed by: No One, picked it up in the library
OK, I accepted the "weird" ending on the first three of Starr's books that I read but I think the ending on this one is the weirdest of all of them. I'm sure that Starr has a purpose in doing this, who knows, maybe it's his trademark, his signature. For some reason though the books are compelling and I would not discourage others from reading them.

I "Twisted City" David Miller is a writing for a business magazine and he is eventually promoted to associate editor though I'm not sure if that reall
D. B.
I bought this book on a whim in a $0.99 Kindle sale, and it blew me away. I wasn't familiar with Jason Starr, but I thought this was a cleverly structured, seamy, insane thriller. I'm knocking it down one star because the ending came too abruptly.
Brandon Nagel
Excellent noir. One of my favorite Starr books to date. Things go from bad to worse on this train wreck of a story. An ending you will never see coming. Almost perfect.
Betsy
May 13, 2012 Betsy rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: No one
I can't believe I read this whole book. This character was totally unbelievable and I had no patience with him or his situation. I've read plenty of books in which the characters lives went completely downhill, all the way to the bottom, and I developed sympathy and understanding for them. But this guy made one stupid, unlikely decision after another which required a complete suspension of belief.

The ending was fitting, and my own punishment for reading the book all the way to the end.
Frederick
Twisted City by Jason Starr Twisted City by Jason Starr - Twisted City is a twisted book, although you might not realize it right away. I loved the premise for this story - very original. The story itself was pretty cool too; wasn't so predictable like so many books. The ending left me scratching my head for a minute, but then that is part of why I liked it too. ...more
Günter Wahl
About great sex of a thirtyfive year old journalist with a twentyfour year old modern dancer from Texas in New York City in the year 2005, the protagonist had lost his wallet with the credit cards to a pick pocket, the young woman could pay with favours she enjoyed.
Bill
Entertaining noir detective thriller about a journalist who finds himself in trouble with criminals in New York.
David
Very good pacing and crisp story. Quick read, good cover art. Sells books.
Debra
Couldn't put it down. It was about things that could happen to anyone.
Kristen Shinn-shinn

This book was so frustrating! And what a WEIRD ending!
Sammy
Quick reading, typical Jason Starr style. Good twists.
Randall
This book leads you along and then punches you in the mouth. Then when you are about to get back up it kicks you in the gut.
A story of bad things that happen to, well not so good people.
B Mch
great noir fiction
Abhinav
Abhinav marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2015
Anthony Rivera
Anthony Rivera marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2015
Concretecolored
Concretecolored marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2015
Sara
Sara added it
Aug 12, 2015
Astrid
Astrid added it
Aug 09, 2015
Shelia
Shelia marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2015
Jay
Jay added it
Jul 14, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Slide (Max & Angela, #2)
  • Fright (Hard Case Crime #34)
  • Choke Hold
  • Nothing More Than Murder
  • The Girl with the Long Green Heart (Hard Case Crime #14)
  • The Corpse Wore Pasties (Hard Case Crime, #62)
  • Frank Sinatra in a Blender
  • The Wounded and the Slain
  • Robbie's Wife (Hard Case Crime #29)
  • The Cleanup
  • Songs of Innocence (Hard Case Crime #33)
  • The Damned
  • The Body Lovers
  • Somebody Owes Me Money (Hard Case Crime #44)
  • Baby Moll