Start by marking “Carnal Innocence” as Want to Read:
Carnal Innocence

Carnal Innocence

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  9,961 ratings  ·  324 reviews
Nora Roberts, bestselling author of The Reef and Genuine Lies, mixes scorching passion with icy suspense in her classic novel of murder and infatuation in a southern town--now available in hardcover for the first time.

In the small town of Innocence, Mississippi, days are long, nights are fragrant, and secrets are hard to keep. But when a brutal killer starts claiming the l
Audio, Abridged - 5 hours 42 minutes, 0 pages
Published July 5th 2000 by Random House Audio (first published December 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Carnal Innocence, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Carnal Innocence

Dorsey aka Wrath Lover & KA Addict
Dec 04, 2013 Dorsey aka Wrath Lover & KA Addict rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Dorsey aka Wrath Lover & KA Addict by: Karla
Shelves: nora_roberts
Solid 4 Stars

I really enjoyed this book and the narrator was fantastic. My only complaint was there are sooooo many characters involved at times it was confusing and I would have to stop and remember who's who. I really didn't figure out who the killer was till about 3/4 or more into the book...I kept changing my mind. Very good storyline and characters with plenty of aghast and heart beating scenes.

Tucker and Carolyn

The hero Tucker Longstreet is not my average kind of hero he's very "Non Al
Carrie
ETA: 4/7/12 The unagridged version narrated by Tom Stechschulte is now available on audible.com!

5* for the narrator/narration. Listened to this on audio narrated by the masterful Tom Stechschulte. Absolutely amazingly deep, sexy voice. Recommended if you can find it.

While listening to a book on audio the reader is forced to listen to all the description and not skim. I'm guilty of skimming at times, especially when the action gets going and I'm on the edge of my seat. While listening to Stechs
D.G.
You are probably dying to ask me…What are you doing reading a romance published in 1991? Isn’t it terribly outdated?

Well, I read it because the audiobook came HIGHLY recommended by friends and I put a lot of stock in friend recommendations. And yes, it’s a bit outdated – there are no cell phones, no internet and the police procedure is a bit iffy (we know better now that an FBI agent shouldn’t be consorting with the sister of a suspect) but the book is old enough that it doesn’t feel weird, if t
Lea's Audiobooks Hensley
Unabridged audiobook version from Speaking of Audiobooks dated 9/30/10:

Narrated by Tom Stechschulte
Attempting to listen to a bad copy of Carnal Innocence, I just knew there was so much to enjoy that I was missing because of all that extra noise. Giving up on my library copy, I was delighted when my friend offered to loan me a copy. I totally fell into the story and in love with Tucker. Tom Stechschulte’s narration is superb and I believe it’s his interpretation of Tucker that made him so, well,
Dina
Tucker and Caroline, according to Lifetime Television:

Photobucket

Me likey!
Elisabete
Gostei bastante deste livro, apesar de não me ter cativado tanto como outros que já li da Nora. Tem bastante suspense e mistério e um pouco menos de romance do que é habitual, mas o pouco que tem é muito giro e divertido, dei umas boas gargalhadas com as personagens deste livro, principalmente com o Tucker (uma personagem masculina um pouco diferente das que a Nora costuma criar, mas não menos cativante) e com a prima Lulu. Mas o que ma cativou mesmo foi a parte policial, nunca imaginaria que er ...more
Jane Stewart
Well done romantic mystery suspense. I was engaged all the way through.

Wonderful character creation. Wonderful dialogue. Various conflicts are well done.

An example of fun dialogue: Tucker is this slow talking rich southern man who sleeps with a lot of women. Heroine is not interested. He makes a seductive comment to her. She says “You’re sick.” He replies “I do feel a fever comin’ on.”

I loved the way clues and things came out gradually during the book - like the clue someone saw that led them t
Branwen *Blaidd Drwg*
"I can be an outsider, or I can belong. It comes down to how you treat others, doesn't it?"

Whoever said that you can't go home again? Caroline Waverly has fled to Innocence Missisippi to escape the burdens of her high stress career as a famous violinist and the pressure her mother imposes on her. Staying in the house that her grandparents owned, she finds a slower pace than what she is used to. she discovers the joy of smalltown living; warm friends, friendly neighbors, and even romance. But the
ElaineY
REVIEW OF AUDIO & KINDLE: MARCH 28, 2014
Narrator: Tom Stechschulte

Probably my favorite Nora Roberts, for now. NR, like Linda Howard, is a hit-or-miss with me, unlike Sandra Brown, whose books I usually do well with.

The Narrator: Stechschulte, or Tom (easier to spell!) is every bit the seasoned and excellent narrator he is. I'd heard him once on a Christine Feehan Ghostwalkers series which he also narrates but Carnal Innocence shows off his skills a lot more. Tom's Tucker Longstreet brings ac
Kathy Davie
Don’t get excited---Innocence is a very small town in Mississippi although, yes, it is a very carnal small town. The kind of town where everybody knows your business as well as the business of your family 200 years back and it’s all still current.

A world-famous violinist has escaped to Innocence to find herself and her roots. Roots that are based on a very short visit as a young girl to her grandparents. Unfortunately for Caroline, she has arrived at the tail end of three nasty murders.

We get t
Leontine
The setting of the sweltering, southern small-town is fantastic. It is inhabited with flamboyant characters who get under your skin quickly. They breath life in to their town with gossip, passion, love, death and everything in between. Add a rivting suspense with twists and turns that surprised the hell outta me and I was enthralled by this story from beginning to end. The romance was heart-tugging sweet, Caroline and Tucker are endearing characters with their personal quirks and their chemistry ...more
Brittany B.
Great narration. Fun listen. Classic old school romance novel. Lite on bedroom scenes, but great chemistry and satisfying HEA with the main couple.

Nice one far a long drive on a sunny day. :) .

Definitely recommended!
Tori
I absolutely LOVE this book!!! This is one of those books I'll read over and over again. My favorite Nora Roberts book hands down!
Jess
This was not a favorite of mine. I'm going to attribute it to the fact that it was originally written almost 20 years ago. The language was unacceptable to me (a lot of racist remarks and situations), the lack of technology bothered me, and overall the whole thing just felt dated.

Also, the plot was just bizarre and there seemed to be a constant "crazy" person trying to kill someone, it just felt that there were multiple storylines that were vying for the main plot. The romance was lackluster and
Chinablue_25 West Bostedor
Fantastic book! It is about a concert violinist who has a emotional breakdown and escapes by moving into the old house she just inherited from her recently passed grandmother in rural Mississippi. Her second day there she finds a body in the pond on the property. She soon starts meeting all the town folk and learns that this is the third woman murdered in this rural area in the last 2 months and there was also one similar in Nashville a few hours away.

The FBI gets involved and there are lots of
Lizzie
Mar 26, 2010 Lizzie rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: No one, really; maybe to silly ninnies who don't know better.
It is clear that Carnal Innocence is more of a murder mystery than it is a romance novel, and don’t make the mistake of believing it’s a blend of the two – the romance is thrown in haphazardly. It seems like an afterthought, as if Roberts had forgotten that she’d promised her publisher she’d live up to the novel’s name. More to the point, there’s not much “carnal” about the relationship between Tucker and Caroline. It’s hurried and rushed, contradicting Tucker’s continual sermons on how everythi ...more
Annika
This title will always make me laugh for two reasons. One, because my mother-in-law cannot say the word "Carnal" correctly to save her life. (She says car-nail...and that's funny to me). Two, because there is nothing carnal about this book, at least the first two-thirds of the story. The title is misleading...like that time I was reading a biographical account of Queen Elizabeth's life in England and it was called "The Virgin Queen".

So...the town is Innocence, Mississippi, a dusty, boring littl
Brenda Audiobooks Only
Narrated by Tom Stechschulte - Narration 5+*

Reviewed for AAR's Speaking of Audiobooks 6/11/12 http://www.likesbooks.com/blog/?p=8353

Anyone who has been around Speaking of Audiobooks for long is aware of my love for Tom Stechschulte’s narration of Carnal Innocence. With its recent rerelease in digital format I decided to articulate what makes this book a favorite relisten for me.

The number one reason is Tom Stechschulte’s performance and I mean performance in every sense of the word – few narrato
Maria
Apesar de tantas páginas que se podem considerar “inúteis” gostei deste Inocência Perdida, talvez porque a autora acrescenta mais uma vez ao romance um toque de suspense e crime que me faz ler o livro até ao fim para desvendar o terrível criminoso. Neste caso, não foi assim tão complicado achar o culpado do crime, mas a explicação para tão horrendas mortes até que convenceu.

Roberts coloca como personagem principal uma conhecida violinista que, sofrendo de um esgotamento nervoso pelo fim de um re
Mónica Silva
Opinião no blog http://howtoliveathousandlives.blogsp...

Quem já leu uma obra de Nora Roberts conhece a dinâmica multifacetada das suas estórias: sempre com uma componente de suspense a acompanhar um bom romance. Habitualmente é a dimensão romântica que me atrai mais nos seus livros, a evolução da relação mesmo perante todas as dificuldades… Mas neste caso foi a componente criminal que mais me entusiasmou!

Uma pequena cidade de Mississipi (EUA), Innocence, é assolada por uma onda de homicídios bru
Suzanne
Four stars for the superb narration by Tom Stechshultz, who brings Tucker Longstreet to life. Still not a Nora Roberts fan, but I simply fell in love with the hero, Tucker Longstreet, a charming Southern lothario with hidden depths and lots of heart!
Autumn
3.5

Enjoyed the lively folk culture. Caroline`s vocation a great contrast to Tucker careless ways.

It did much better at the mystery subplot than others she`s written. Unfortunately the pattern seems to repeat.. over-and-over!

come back to hometown:check

murder lurking :check

hometown where everyone makes anyone's business their own: check

H/h known each other since childhood: check

Now, dont get me wrong, Nora does know how to craft a story to make it widely popular.. Perpahs that seems to be my p
KA
i really enjoyed this one!

i forgot how great nora roberts is at creating captivating stories with characters that have a lot of depth and substance. my favorite secondary characters were crazy cousin lulu, who was hilarious and cy.

this was another wonderful mystery/suspense with lots of great twists and turns, that will keep you guessing until the end. there was a little romance, too. i loved the setting of innocence, a small town in rural mississippi.

my only complaint is there was no epilogue,
Paula
This is one of the first books I read by Nora Roberts and the reason I've been hooked on her books ever since. I have retread this one many times.
Emily Karn
Oct 23, 2014 Emily Karn rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Romance and Mystery fans
The town of Innocence, Mississipi is hiding secrets, dark secrets filled with blood, torture, and murder, for a killer walks openly among them hidden in plain sight.

Witty, urbane, and beautiful, violinist Caroline Waverly has come home to her grandparents house to rest and recuperate after her recent illness and an all-too public breakup with the world-class conductor who was also her lover.

All Caroline wants is to live quietly in her family's secluded old bayou home with its shady front porch.
Mitzi
Loved this audio book! Wow, the narrator Tom Stechschulte nailed the slow...southern...sexy...drawl...of the hero Tucker. This story is a bit 'old school' (the hero smokes cigarettes)...& the sex scenes are very subtle...But Boy-Oh-Boy, I loved every minute of the entire 19 hour audio book....What a great experience!
Filipa
Já tinha lido o livro em inglês há 1 ano. No entanto, sempre tive esperança que fosse editado em português.
Agora que se deu a oportunidade, finalmente comprei o livro em português.
Este é um dos livros que faz parte do meu top 10 da autora.
Katie Q
Very engaging. Very well written. Enjoyed this book a great deal. More than I thought I would when I started reading it.

It started strong, floundered a little bit and then picked up to captivate me until I finished it in one afternoon.
Sara
Este foi o primeiro livro que li de Nora Roberts e gostei bastante. A forma como vamos descobrindo os crimes, a reação das personagens, o romance entre as personagens, o assassino, tudo neste livro está bem conseguido! Adorei.
Кристина
Добро попадение,с доста неочакван край.Старите книги на авторката определено са по-въздействащи.
  • Divided in Death (In Death, #18)
  • Heart of Fire
  • Slow Heat in Heaven
  • One Summer
  • Family Man
aka
Jill March
J.D. Robb
Sarah Hardesty

Eleanor Marie Robertson was born on October 10, 1950 in Silver Spring, Maryland, USA. She was the youngest of five children, also the only girl, of a marriage with Irish ancestors. Her family were avid readers, so books were always important in her life. She attended a Catholic school and credits the nuns with instilling in her a sense of discipline. During her
More about Nora Roberts...

“Caroline Waverly: Sometimes we hurt more for what might have been than for what is.” 30 likes
“Happy Fuller: Somehow you always love in a special way the one who gives you the most grief.” 12 likes