Start by marking “Me Oh Maya (Time Warp Trio #13)” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Me Oh Maya

Jon Scieszka

Me Oh Maya (Time Warp Trio #13)

One minute Joe, Sam, and Fred are shooting hoops in Brooklyn; the next they're on a court that is definitely not in New York, and surrounded by a bunch of players wearing feathered headdresses and not much else. And the other team is saying something about losers being the next blood sacrifices. Uh-oh. Tossed back in time to Chich?n Itz?, Mexico, in the year A.D. 1000, the ...more
Published April 21st 2005 by Puffin Books (first published September 15th 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Me Oh Maya, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Me Oh Maya

Debbie
Feb 01, 2013 Debbie rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: not-recommended
Scieszka's got a way with words and wit that makes most of his books terrific. In this one, though, he went head-long into the land of insensitivity to people of another culture. Instead of a respectful treatment of the Maya people, he mocks them by mocking their names.

A full review of his book is at my site, American Indians in Children's Literature.
Erica
Jan 15, 2017 Erica rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I read this book to see if it would work as a classroom read aloud. But I decided the name "Kakapupahead" was more than I could handle. Not a bad story, just not one that works for me as a teacher.
Elizabeth
it a good book
Brandon O'Neill
May 21, 2008 Brandon O'Neill rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: youthlit
I've wanted to read Jon Scieszka since I like the website he runs - www.guysread.com, to try and encourage boys of all ages to read. This is a book in the Time Warp Trio series - 3 friends have a magic book that transports them backwards or forwards into time, in different cultures. Here, they go to Mexico 1, 000 years ago and end up in a ball game the Mayans played for their lives. I like how he weaves in real information - the chapters are numbered like the Mayan numeral system - with dots and ...more
Children's Literature
Kakapupahead, the High Priest of the Mayan people decides that Joe, Sam and Fred will make the perfect sacrifice to please the Mayan gods to ensure a successful harvest. Whether Joe, Fred and Sam live depends on whether they can beat Kakapupahead and his teammates in a game of ball. Again the Time Warp Trio is faced with trying to figure out how to can get home when The Book is not in a language or format that they understand. It is a good thing that at least Sam understands the special way the ...more
Liz
Sep 08, 2010 Liz rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
In me oh maya there are 3 kids that live in brooklin and so one day they are play in baskit ball, and next they know it they are serawded by gues in leather hats and they get in a fight about who is better at baskit ball.the 3 kids also lose there book that can transport them to places,so now they cant go home...
Mrs Bond
The boys warp back 1000 years to a Mayan village. While there they challenge the High Priest Kakapupahed to a ball game in order to oust him from power and to get their hands on The Book. Final chapter titled 'Professor Sam's Maya Math' explains how to write numbers the way the Mayans did.
Ubalstecha
The boys find themselves thrown back in time to Mayan civilization where they end up having a basketball like game that could end in their death. Can the boys find the book before they end up a sacrifice?

Another book of silly fun from Jon Scieszka.
Anna
Jan 10, 2009 Anna rated it it was ok
Eh, this is an okay book but I'm just not wild about the series in general. I don't really think it's a great way to teach history. I personally find it to be kind of confusing and choppy and would rather just read a book about the Mayas.
SCES
Jan 17, 2011 SCES rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: p
Boys seem to enjoy this adventure book. They learned a little about the Maya in reading it. Girls did not really dig it. Good endings to chapters that made the students want to keep reading. -Susan
If you want a way to analyze what works for young boy readers, especially the humor part (which is exactly what I was looking for), the Time Warp Trio is the go-to series.
Lisa
Mar 02, 2010 Lisa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor, time-travel, series
Of all the series books for younger children, this is one of my favorites. I can hear just Scieszka's voice reading it. He combines humor and just a bit of history in this goofy time travel series.
Acton
Oct 22, 2010 Acton rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
me oh maya was prety much fiction
Patricia Bell
Sep 23, 2013 Patricia Bell rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Future POTUS thought it was awesome. The trio is totally hilarious. And Kakapupahed? That's a totally awesome name for a high priest!
Jessica
Aug 02, 2012 Jessica rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of the better ones in the series I think.
Shelley
Shelley rated it really liked it
Dec 30, 2007
Birgit
Birgit rated it it was amazing
Apr 20, 2010
Will Holub-Moorman
Will Holub-Moorman rated it liked it
Jan 16, 2015
Katherine
Katherine rated it really liked it
May 21, 2010
Jude
Jude rated it really liked it
Jun 17, 2010
Egan
Egan rated it really liked it
Sep 20, 2011
Katie
Katie rated it it was amazing
Dec 17, 2014
Eleanor Walsh
Eleanor Walsh rated it really liked it
Jun 23, 2013
E.A.
E.A. rated it really liked it
Apr 27, 2008
Skye
Skye rated it really liked it
Aug 31, 2012
Tyla
Tyla rated it it was amazing
Feb 08, 2010
Abigail
Abigail rated it liked it
Nov 20, 2008
Justin
Justin rated it really liked it
Feb 11, 2014
Kailey
Kailey rated it really liked it
Oct 11, 2012
Bentley Altman
Bentley Altman rated it it was amazing
Apr 12, 2013
  • The Great Egyptian Grave Robbery (Flat Stanley's Worldwide Adventures #2)
  • The Case of the Missing Monkey (High-Rise Private Eyes, #1)
  • Ms. Frizzle's Adventures: Imperial China
  • The Long Way to a New Land
  • Trouble at the Arcade (The Hardy Boys: Secret Files, #1)
  • Mr. Chickee's Funny Money
  • Prairie School
  • Nate the Great Goes Undercover
  • The Chalk Box Kid (Stepping Stone Books)
  • The Toothpaste Millionaire
  • Clash of the Class Clowns (Tales of a Sixth-Grade Muppet, #2)
  • If You Traveled West In A Covered Wagon
  • Journey to the Volcano Palace (The Secrets of Droon, #2)
  • What Was the March on Washington?
  • If You Hopped Like A Frog
  • The Unwilling Umpire (A to Z Mysteries, #21)
  • Ricky Ricotta's Mighty Robot vs. the Jurassic Jackrabbits from Jupiter (Ricky Ricotta, #5)
  • Coach Hyatt Is a Riot! (My Weird School Daze, #4)
Jon Scieszka is a writer and teacher. He lives in Brooklyn, New York, with his wife and two children. Occasionally he has been known to howl at the full moon. --from the dust jacket of "The True Story of the 3 Little Pigs"

Jon Scieszka is also the author of the best-selling ALA Notable Book, The True Story of the Three Little Pigs, as well as Knights of the Kitchen Table, and The Not-So-Jolly Roger
More about Jon Scieszka...

Time Warp Trio (1 - 10 of 16 books)
  • Knights of the Kitchen Table (Time Warp Trio, #1)
  • The Not-So-Jolly Roger (Time Warp Trio #2)
  • The Good, the Bad, and the Goofy (Time Warp Trio #3)
  • Your Mother Was a Neanderthal
  • 2095 (Time Warp Trio, #5)
  • Tut, Tut (Time Warp Trio, #6)
  • Summer Reading is Killing Me! (Time Warp Trio #7)
  • It's All Greek to Me
  • See You Later, Gladiator
  • Sam Samurai (Time Warp Trio, #10)