The Surprising Purpose of Anger: Beyond Anger Management: Finding the Gift

The Surprising Purpose of Anger: Beyond Anger Management: Finding the Gift

4.22 of 5 stars 4.22  ·  rating details  ·  97 ratings  ·  8 reviews
The tenets of Nonviolent Communication (1892005034) are applied to a variety of settings in these booklets on how to resolve conflict peacefully. Illustrative exercises, sample stories, and role-playing activities offer the opportunity for self-evaluation and discovery. The four key truths revealed in this insightful take on anger help develop strategies for channeling fee...more
Published April 1st 2005 by PuddleDancer Press (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about The Surprising Purpose of Anger, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Surprising Purpose of Anger

Ishraq
I came across self-awareness and needs when we had a three months training on Business Relational needs at work and how to build your self-awareness of your needs and the needs of the others so most of the ideas and terms discussed in this booklet was very familiar and was very easy for me to connect to them.

Marshal Rosenberg is trying to communicate to us that through non-violent communication (NVC) we can understand anger and turn these feelings into constructive actions rather than suppress t...more
Trista
Jul 11, 2014 Trista rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anybody
Shelves: teeter-library
Ah, Dr. Rosenberg. I wish someone had pointed me towards you LONG ago. Alas, I am extremely grateful for your work. If anyone reads this review, I highly recommend reading his original book Non-Violent Communication (also you can YouTube 'rosenberg san francisco' and get a 3 hour lecture/conference that he gave that is amazing and sums the book up quite well).
Vladimir Tarasow
The essence of the NVC principles makes me feel contradictory. From the one hand they represents the gentle and non-violent way of communication the very need of the person, but from the other, the power to change things, to change people way of thinking arises from the strong feelings.

Knowing the fact that strong unpleasant feelings have the other background than just emotions will help me to improve myself.
Alexandria Skinner
This is a very brief and easy to read synopsis of Rosenberg's Nonviolent Communication (NVC), and applying NVC theory to understanding the feeling of anger and what to do about it. This book gives concrete steps that will help the reader go beyond "anger management," instead developing a deeper understanding of the root causes of anger and then giving positive tools to help the reader channel those emotions into positive, more helpful responses. I highly recommend this book, especially for peopl...more
Henrik Berglund Berglund
Nice short read. I liked the personal, hands-on, real-life examples. I'm not new to the flaws our minds get so easily trapped in when trying to communicate. This book inspred me though, gave me enhanced self-insight and new tools. I'm sure it improved my life a little. So what else except 5 stars can I give ;-)

Alyssa Mcfarland
This slim volume was really helpful to me, not only in understanding why people around me get irate, but also in understanding what is the root of my own struggle with feelings of discontent and ire. Highly recommended.
Jess
Jan 12, 2008 Jess marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: in-my-collection
My mom picked this book for me. It's only 35 pages long, but should contain a lot of useful tools for me.
semsma
semsma marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2014
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2014
Jay Smoke
Jay Smoke marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2014
Ray Hernandez
Ray Hernandez marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2014
Dwight
Dwight marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2014
Fernanda
Fernanda marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2014
Hortus Conclusus
Hortus Conclusus marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2014
Bashar
Bashar marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2014
Amber
Amber marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2014
Kristy Hall
Kristy Hall marked it as to-read
c. akemi mitsueda
c. akemi mitsueda marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2014
Sarah marked it as to-read
Syed Raza
Syed Raza marked it as to-read
Ryan
Ryan marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2014
Marshall Rosenberg is an American psychologist and the creator of Nonviolent Communication, a communication process that helps people to exchange the information necessary to resolve conflicts and differences peacefully. He is the founder and Director of Educational Services for the Center for Nonviolent Communication, an international non-profit organization.

In 1961, Rosenberg received his Ph.D....more
More about Marshall B. Rosenberg...
Nonviolent Communication: A Language of Life Raising Children Compassionately: Parenting the Nonviolent Communication Way Speak Peace in a World of Conflict: What You Say Next Will Change Your World Speaking Peace: Connecting with Others Through Nonviolent Communication Being Me, Loving You: A Practical Guide to Extraordinary Relationships