Start by marking “Fatal Embrace” as Want to Read:
Fatal Embrace
Read eBook* *Different edition

Fatal Embrace

3.65 of 5 stars 3.65  ·  rating details  ·  367 ratings  ·  61 reviews
High-spirited horse trainer Jessica Stanson stumbles into the perfect job on one of the most elite ranches in Montana. Or at least it would be if her boss, ex-detective Michael Carven, stopped acting like he didn't want her there. Jessica has to prove herself to him on the ranch, and also try to penetrate his armor to get to the man inside.

Michael Carven is a man who has
Nook, 280 pages
Published December 1st 2010 by Gale Group (first published December 2nd 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Fatal Embrace, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fatal Embrace

Rebecca Graf

Review of Fatal Embrace

4/22/2015

0 Comments

The owner of a ranch is called back to his former position as police detective when a string of murders occur that the police cannot solve. He has to hire a new ranch manager who surprisingly turns out to be a woman, a very attractive woman. The attraction between them is intense, but a killer is on the loose. It gets more heated when the killer turns his attention to the new woman in his life.

From the look of the cover, I thought this was mainly romance
Elizabeth Olmedo
I am happy to say that Aris Whittier outsmarted me with her novel, Fatal Embrace. Once she unmasked the killer, it made perfect sense. Still, not once did I suspect that person of being the murderer. Whittier keeps her audience glued from beginning to end as she makes the character’s feelings become one with those of the reader. Fatal Embrace is good for anyone looking for a cleaner Nora Roberts’ kind of story. Whittier offers the suspense without having to trudge through sex scenes about every ...more
Amanda-Lee (StoryWings)
Fatal Embrace was nothing if not predictable.

Jessica Stanson is a horse trainer, a female one, and when she shows up at Michael Carven’s farm for her first day of work, he flips. He doesn’t want a girl running his stables let alone a woman living in his house.

But they grow closer as Jessica helps Michael finally get past his traumatic loss and simultaneously fight the common enemy in the form of a serial killer that is after her.

Jessica was a nice enough character, feisty and intelligent, but ii
Kelli (I'd So Rather Be Reading)
This book is classified as a romantic suspense but it was heavier on the suspense than the romance. I was pleasantly surprised at that---I am no great fan of pure romance novels. They always feel too shallow to me. I was so happy that Fatal Embrace was not an empty read. It had romance and suspense in perfect balance.

I love books set on ranches. I think it's because I've always wanted to ride a horse, so the idea of being around horses all the time appeals to me. The appeal of ranches is definit
The Project
Tonileg
Micheal Carven starts this book out with his POV coming home after a couple of days of hard work then throws himself into another day with no sleep. He has a shock meeting 'Jess' Stanson the new head horse trainer because he thinks that it is a man.
Surprise! It's a woman, a beautiful woman. Micheal quickly tries to fire her because he doesn't want to live and work with a beautiful woman, we don't know much about him or his motivations, but after arguing he ends up keeping her. Plus, I believe s
Mishel Zabala
My Rating: 4/5 stars!

I always enjoy a good romantic suspense novel. I’m a sucker for romance and I happen to really enjoy suspenseful moments… so put them together and you have a nice little party via words. Fatal Embrace was a well-written, nicely-paced, enjoyable romantic suspense novel. It can easily be read in one sitting although it took me much longer because of little girls not letting me get my reading time in…

Jessica and Michael were very likable. Although their relationship was somewha
Suzanne Williams
The most incredible part of this story was the relationship between the two main characters, Michael and Jess. The plot itself was well done, and I did not see the ending coming at all. In fact, I'd say it was one of the biggest surprises in a suspense/mystery plot that I've read recently. The story structure itself had quite a bit of head-hopping (going from one point of view to another) and this became annoying. There were also large sections of "telling" where the author could have greatly im ...more
Debora Lima

I can just say one thing about this book: I loved it! I loved the romantic parts, loved the mystery part, loved the characters and everything else! The story begins with Michael, retired homicide detective, who has the guilty of never being able to catch his fiancée murder. So now, he lives in a ranch in Montana with his horses, but the past always come.
His old partner Dan, who is now the homicide chief, asks Michael if he can help the force to catch a serial killer, who has been murdering youn
Itsjustme-wendy
And yet another good one by Aris! I am not surprised. I believe this was Aris' first book. You can tell right away that she has the knack for writing suspenseful romance. While not my favorite one by her, this one is certainly well worth the read and will keep you guessing right up to the very end.

I thought there was real nice character development. I liked Jess, I thought she was a good strong (enough, I don't like them too strong) and yet nice and very likeable female lead. Surprise surprise!
Kelly
So who doesn’t love a good mystery? This one throws in a little romance, a little horse love (which by the way, I’m a huge animal person so that was a plus for me), some pain, some happiness, a murder and some fun and interesting side characters. It’s a quick read, and even though I guessed who it was, I don’t think that was necessarily the author’s purpose in writing this book (I mean, I don't think the book was intended to keep you guessing until the very end). I felt more like she wanted to e ...more
Stephanie (Once Upon a Chapter)
Kelly
Mar 01, 2011 Kelly rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of suspense, mysteries and/ or romance
Recommended to Kelly by: Aris Whittier
Let me start by saying that I finished this in 4 hours. I loved this book. It drew me in from the first page and kept me hooked as I tore through the book. I immediately liked Jess and felt the draw towards the painfully lonely Michael. I like that the author spent the better part of the book developing the relationship between Jess and Michael. They didn't just fall into each other's arms and profess their love for each other. They had their ups and downs, and by half way through the book I was ...more
Jude
Disappointing! I wouldn't normally buy a romance, but it was free so I had nothing to lose except perhaps my patience. This book wasn't complete balderdash but it was incredibly lightweight. From the start I was left wondering why anyone who owned a horse ranch would leave anything as important as hiring a horse trainer to a friend, who hadn't even seen the trainer in person. It was obvious that Stanton and Carven were destined to fall in love, but there was very little work put into mapping the ...more
Julie
Review written by Leisha for A Tale of Many Reviews

Every once in awhile a reader will come across a book that simply cannot be put down. When you find that book and begin reading, all else in your world ceases to exist. The dishes don’t get done, the laundry goes unfolded, and the dirty toilet can just wait one more day! Most recently, I found that wondrous sensation with Aris Whittier’s fast-paced and well-written romantic-suspense novel, Fatal Embrace.

Whittier opens her novel with Michael, a
RoloPoloBookBlog
Source: Author; 3/5 stars

Whittier opens her novel with Michael, a hard-working if sullen cow
Anita
RATING: Four of Five Stars

GENRE: Adult Fiction

FORM: eBook

While the author requested that I read and review her book, I have received no compensation for
this review other than the joy of reading!

SYNOPSIS: Michael trusted the responsibility of hiring a temporary horse trainer to his good friend, Dan, so that he can come out of retirement long enough to help catch the serial murder that has been plaguing the town. He gets quite a shocker when he finds out that the new guy that Dan hired, Jess St
Katie_la_geek
For this review and more like it visit my new Adult book review blog: The Little Death

This book had all the right ingredients but none of the fizz. There was drama, romance, sex, angst and crime but it never quite hit the mark for me. The characters, although well put together, changed their minds about things all the time. Their personalities also seemed to change a lot too. One minute he was hot then cold. One second she was tender and caring then sarcastic and snappy. There is nothing wrong
Yvonne
After tragedy strikes, Michael Carven leaves his career as a police detective behind and runs his own ranch in Montana. When his former partner, Dan Walker, calls to seek his help in tracking down a serial killer, he feels obligated to lend a hand in the investigation. Dan hires Jessica Stanson help out on the ranch as a horse trainer. Michael is not thrilled to discover his new horse trainer is a woman. Against his better judgment, he agrees to give her a chance.

Jessica has no intentions of let
Jean
Horse trainer Jessica Stanson stumbles into the perfect job on one of the most elite ranches in Montana. Jessica has to prove herself to Michael Carven, the owner of the ranch, and also try to penetrate his armor to get to the man inside. A wave of violence hits the nearby small town of Riverside, as a cunning serial killer preys on the population.
Against his will, Michael finds himself both drawn into the case and coming to care for his independent new trainer. And if having a killer on the loo
Pen
I love a book with deep, interesting characters- this book did not have them.

I love a romance where two broken people come together after finally breaking through each other's walls- also not this book. It attempted such a thing, but failed terribly.

I like good writing and a good storyline. Not this book! The storyline was passable but not really explored and the writing poor with such lines as "He was worried I'd kick his ass because he tried to pick up you."

Jessica comes across in the first fe
Lu (Sugar & Snark)
Rating 6/10

This was definitely a well written, thoroughly entertaining read. You get mystery, romance and suspense all in one neat little package!

The story flowed effortlessly with great character development. Michael and Jessica have intense chemistry and you can't help but root for them! They started out not too fond of one another but slowly their relationship grew and so did their love for one another.

The mystery is also a big aspect of the story. You can't help but to try and solve the crim
CoffeeTimeRomance andMore
Fatal Embrace is a really great romantic suspense novel from the first page until the last. Both the love story and the murder mystery had me on the edge of my seat. I loved Jess and Michael grew on me despite his rather schizophrenic behavior towards her. The setting of a remote horse ranch fit the plotline perfectly and the author really does a great job of building the suspense to a spectacular conclusion. I never guessed the identity of the murderer and was surprised at the ending.

Maura
Revie
Emily
"A great story, couldn’t put it down."

When Detective Michael Carven opens the door to rustle up the horse trainer he hired while he helps assist on a serial killer case, he finds himself starting at a beautiful woman instead. When he finds out he has hired Jessica “Jess” Stanson, believing she was a man he immediately tries to let her go not wanting to be constantly reminded of the attraction that had instantly set in, but the fiery tempered Jess will have none of it refusing to be let go....

Fu
Dawn
Good story; it pulled me in right from the start and kept me turning the pages. The characters were good,I like Michael and Jessica together. Michael, at times, seemed to change moods quickly but that changed throughout the course of the story. The mystery kept me guessing until the end, I thought I had guessed the killer but I was wrong. I really like when an author can stump me and change direction at the final moment. Good story, sweet romance, I'll look for more from this author.
Jen_C
Not the style of writing I prefer. I felt like every time the story was getting interesting, the paragraph/chapter ended & picked up the next day or some later time. I want my action "on screen" so to speak. Also, nothing really great happens till about 75% in. I think you got 1 kiss and a little practical joking but not much danger/suspense or relationship build up involving the main characters. I would not say it is bad, just not my cuppa. Overall an interesting story.
Marti
This was a nice “whodoneit” wrapped around a sweet romance. The length was nice – long enough to provide some character development but not overly long. The plot moved along fairly briskly with the romantic part of it developing fairly slowly with just enough tension to make that relationship believable and enjoyable. The reading level was pretty easy and it only took me a day tp read it. If you like detective novels combined with a sweet romance, this is a book you would enjoy ...more
Bonnie
I enjoyed the story and characters in this book. It definitely held my interest. I would say to some of my friends, who I know are very particular about these things and would want a heads up, there are a few pages near the end of the book that you will probably want to skip. Other than that, I would recommend the book to anyone who enjoys a love story or a thriller. Very good, Aris. I'm glad I read it - I still find myself thinking about it several days later.
Okay so I was all about this book. The mystery was pretty good until the climax and the storyline itself seemed decent. However, I cannot in good conscious reccomend this book because I was so distracted towards the end by how bad and time consuming the romance was that it ruined the whole book for me. It had really good potential and I recommend the author for like a book written after this but this book was just too bad for me to say "read it"
J. Ewbank
This book by Ars Whittier is an interesting read. The book is a little rough in the beginning after a memorable scene of the boss finding he has hired a female rather than a male. Once it gets going it is easy enough reading and pleasurable. Of course you know that the female and the male will get together, but it certainly takes long enough.
Enjoy.

J. Robert Ewbank author "John Wesley, Natural Man, and the Isms" and "Wesley's Wars"
  • Family Secrets (A Cop in the Family, #1)
  • A Cowboy for Christmas
  • Test Pilot's Daughter: Revenge
  • Three Days in Seattle
  • Recovery (Nicci Beauvoir #2)
  • California Caress
  • An Eye For Danger
  • Wild Mustang Man
  • Desert Rose (Warriors Series - #1)
  • Catch Me a Catch
  • Playing With Fire (All Fired Up #1)
  • The Huntress
  • The Edge Of Trust (Team Edge series, #1)
  • Dangerous Kisses
  • Passion to Die For (Silhouette Romantic Suspense #1579)
  • Firebird (Apocalypto, #4)
  • The Storm Within
  • Tall, Dark and Cowboy
Aris Whittier is a romance writer. She writes suspense, contemporary, and commercial woman’s fiction. Her debut novel, Fatal Embrace is a romantic suspense that was featured in Cosmopolitan Magazine as a Red-Hot Read. Foolish Notions is a contemporary romance that has just a touch a mystery too. Across Eternity is a beautiful love story that transcends time. Visit Aris Whittier at: www.awhittier.b ...more
More about Aris Whittier...
Across Eternity Secrets Foolish Notions The Truth About Being A Bass Fisherman's Wife