Start by marking “What Type Am I?: Discover Who You Really Are” as Want to Read:
What Type Am I?: Discover Who You Really Are

What Type Am I?: Discover Who You Really Are

The Myers-Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI) is the most widely used psychological indicator in the world. Millions of people take the test annually. Now a family therapist explains this fascinating system of ideas to the public in a way that is entertaining and easy to absorb. Based on the work of Carl Jung, the MBTI is a system that discusses people's individual preferences on ...more
Published August 1st 1998 by Penguin Books

To ask other readers questions about What Type Am I?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What Type Am I?

Esteban del Mal
What's to say? At my worst I'm "hypersensitive, overly emotional, judgmental, impractical, unrealisitic, and self-absorbed."

I don't wanna talk about it.
Jasmine Teed
This book really helped me to understand the different types more than any other books or websites I read before. I've been interested in Myers - Briggs types for a while and had done a lot of research, done online tests and even a professional administered one, but after reading this book I finally felt like I really understood what the different modes meant and how to best use my own instinctive ways of reacting, taking in information, relating, organizing myself etc. It's also great for under ...more
Charmaine E. Pooh
Apr 09, 2011 Charmaine E. Pooh rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great insight on Jung, Myers, and Keirsey. Specifically geared toward teenagers. Excellent reference to have. Includes what I've seen to be the best and most accurate temperament sorter. Sorter is especially good for people who have not studied psychology and so don't recognize the context of words used in KTS-II or MBTI. At least I've found it to be the most accurate for my friends, family, and colleagues. The descriptions though are definitely geared to teenagers.
Rift Vegan
Sep 01, 2012 Rift Vegan rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012

I read this book for work, and I never would have picked it up unless forced to! ;) I am a "Introvert - Sensing - Thinking - Perceiving" type. But in the big scheme of things, that's not very interesting!
Sue
Oct 06, 2007 Sue rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
fun intro to Myers-Briggs personality assessment
David
Aug 08, 2009 David rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good book for beginners in the subject.
N
Oct 16, 2016 N rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: psychology
หนังสือเลมนีฉบับภาษาอังกฤษออกมานานแลว ไมนึกวาจะไดเหนเวอรชันภาษาไทย
หนังสือนีเปนหนังสือทีดีมาก ๆ
ทำใหเรารูวา บุคลิกภาพพืนฐานของเราเปนอยางไร จุดออน จุดแขงเปนอยางไร และการนำมันไปใชงานในชีวิตจริง ฯลฯ
(นึกถึงคารล ยุงไดเลย)

หนังสือมีลักษณะทีเปนมิตรตอการอานเปนอยางมาก มีภาพประกอบเยอะ
ทีสำคัญคือ ผูแปล แปลภาษาไดลืนไหลนาอานมาก
สัมผัสไดถึงความเอาใจใส คุณภาพสูง
คุมคาเงินเปนอยางมาก
Jun 22, 2013 Sarah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: personality
I got What Type Am I? Discover Who You Really Are by Renee Baron out of the library before I went on vacation and read it at the beach. I love personality theories; they're fascinating to me. Baron's book is an easy-to-access version of David Keirsey's Please Understand Me II, which was based on the classic Meyers-Briggs Type Indicator. Please Understand Me II was my first introduction to personality types when I borrowed it off of my dad's bookshelf when I was in junior high. It is a fascinatin ...more
Ellen
Dec 23, 2007 Ellen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: teens and families and students of pyschology, relationships
This book helped me understand the basics of Myers-Briggs, but I found it somewhat limited. I still have not accounted for why I am Introvert dominant, but often have extrovert tendenies. I plan to read on in this subject area. The author also introduces a little bit of David Keirsey's theories on personality (Please Understand Me, etc.), as well as the more ancient study of the Enneagram, which I knew very little about. Older readers and students of psychology and personality will enjoy the app ...more
Cale
Aug 15, 2013 Cale rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is an interesting, fairly casual introduction to Myers Briggs Personality Types, mixed with Temperaments. I'd never come across the Temperaments approach before, but it doesn't add a whole lot - just categorizes types into four archetypes. The information is geared to families, although it does include some reference to work impact as well. There's also a section at the very end about Enneagrams that just kind of feels thrown in. Again, somewhat useful but not deep enough to really go anywh ...more
Gabriela
Aug 28, 2013 Gabriela rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was, like, the dreamiest textbook you'd ever want: easy-to-read, informative enough though not too in-depth, illustrative and straight-forward. The preference tests made it easy and fun to pinpoint specific types for different people in my life (which really appealed to the non-dominant Thinker in me!), and the "suggestions" and comics were useful and amusing. A small criticism would be that I wish it'd had a deeper analysis or perhaps a bit more science without becoming too obtuse. But as ...more
Kalena
Aug 21, 2016 Kalena rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, nf
Nonfiction. This book covers the well-known Myers-Briggs Type Indicator. Although it was not new information, I enjoyed her format and handling of the material. Helped me review principles regarding working with differences in personality. Useful illustrations and great quotes to live by. ("There is more to life than increasing its speed. - Mahatma Gandhi) Recommend for those interested in this subject.
Nicole
Aug 07, 2011 Nicole rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Nicole by: myself
so far ive only read about myself and my boyfriends types but they are either dead on or kinda off. i really like it tho because it gives u tips with how to get along with that type of personality. the pictures are also great and give me a good understanding of things lol. i think i will read the rest of personalitys and try to think of people who are like them. i am ISTJ!
K.E. Garvey
May 14, 2013 K.E. Garvey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
For anyone interested in human nature (why we act the way we act)... and behavior, this is the book for you. Written in layman's terms, you don't need a degree to follow through each section. I use it for reference in my creative writing, but anyone who reads it will walk away with a better understanding of 'what makes us tick'.....

Would recommend.
Jennifer Beall
Mar 19, 2013 Jennifer Beall rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: psychology
I am a psychotherapist and a certified MBTI practitioner. I often recommend this as one of the first MBTI books to read, because it is concise, easy to understand, and has helpful illustrative cartoons.
Melissa
An interesting, quick read on personality types and how they relate to various aspects of your life including work, relationships and parenting.
Michelle Bai
It's a fun book to read, and there are some tests that you can take to get to know yourself better.
Stephanie
This book was great at pointing out that the MBTI personality types are a way to describe and understand different types or people, but not a permanent label with which to fix on anyone.
Leah
Jul 29, 2016 Leah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A pretty good general introduction to Jung and MBTI. Especially useful if you are not sure of your own type. Very general knowledge so not for advanced readers.
Dayla
Mar 01, 2013 Dayla rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: self-help
Myers Brigg is always interesting to me, especially the difference between people who need closure (the J's of the world) and those who don't (the P's).
Tori
Sep 26, 2007 Tori rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love this test, and I enjoyed the book version more than the free tests available on the internet.
Leah
Jan 31, 2009 Leah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: home-bookshelf
Very easy read about the Myers-Briggs personality typing. Peter and I were enlightened to find out that we are actually opposite personalities! Hmm...
Maria Connor
Apr 14, 2009 Maria Connor rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A fun book on personality types with some different twists. I will use this as my base for a MOPS talk this spring. Thanks for the loan, Leah!
Judy
Jan 24, 2014 Judy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very accessible and easy to read book on a subject I always find interesting. The whole family had fun with this one.
Bailey
Bailey rated it it was amazing
Apr 19, 2015
Tara Elena Price
Tara Elena Price rated it really liked it
Jun 06, 2011
Jenni
Jenni rated it really liked it
Jan 14, 2012
Julia Bridget
Julia Bridget rated it liked it
Mar 15, 2014
Rhonda
Rhonda rated it it was amazing
Jul 16, 2016
Synde Acks
Synde Acks rated it it was amazing
Jul 29, 2015
  • Type Talk: The 16 Personality Types That Determine How We Live, Love, and Work
  • Just Your Type: Create the Relationship You've Always Wanted Using the Secrets of Personality Type
  • Gifts Differing: Understanding Personality Type
  • Lifetypes
  • Who Are You?: 101 Ways of Seeing Yourself
  • I'm Not Crazy, I'm Just Not You: The Real Meaning of the Sixteen Personality Types
  • Get Married: What Women Can Do to Help it Happen
  • The Enneagram of Parenting: The 9 Types of Children and How to Raise Them Successfully
  • Jim Elliot (1927-1956) (Heroes of the Faith)
  • Graphic Design Cookbook: Mix & Match Recipes for Faster, Better Layouts
  • Welcome to Samantha's World · 1904: Growing Up in America's New Century (American Girls Collection)
  • Please Understand Me II: Temperament, Character, Intelligence
  • The Corporate Culture Survival Guide
  • Running - Getting Started
  • The Enneagram: Understanding Yourself and the Others in Your Life
  • Fundamentals of Corporate Finance
  • Stories of the Pilgrims
  • How Good People Make Tough Choices
Renee Baron, a writer and therapist who uses the Enneagram in her counseling practice, she is the author of The Enneagram Made Easy: Discover the Nine Types of People. She lives in Berkeley, CA.
More about Renee Baron...

“It is a terrible thing To be so open: it is as if my heart Put on a face and walked into the world. —SYLVIA PLATH, “A POEM FOR THREE VOICES” 1 likes
“The best way to compliment someone is frequently. —ANONYMOUS” 1 likes