Start by marking “Merry Christmas, Mom and Dad” as Want to Read:
Merry Christmas, Mom and Dad

Merry Christmas, Mom and Dad (Little Critter)

4.31  ·  Rating Details ·  4,095 Ratings  ·  50 Reviews
Mercer Mayer's very popular character stars in a getting-ready-for-Christmas picture book. Little Critter approaches Christmas with the intention of being a good helper. When he makes a mistake, he has a logical explanation. He couldn't wrap the Christmas package because the tape got too sticky. He couldn't buy his parents a present because there were too many toys to look ...more
Published September 10th 1999 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published July 1st 1982)

To ask other readers questions about Merry Christmas, Mom and Dad, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Merry Christmas, Mom and Dad

Becky
Nov 27, 2016 Becky rated it really liked it
First sentence: I wanted to make Christmas very special, just for you, so I made a Christmas wreath. I wanted to decorate some Christmas cookies just for you, but I couldn't stop tasting them. I wanted to find a Christmas present just for you, but there were too many toys to look at.

Premise/plot: Little Critter tries really hard to make Christmas really, truly special for his Mom and Dad. But, as you'd expect, things don't always go according to plan. Is it the thought that counts?!

My thoughts:
babyhippoface
Dec 02, 2008 babyhippoface rated it really liked it
I loved reading this book with my older daughter when she was tiny. Everything Little Critter does in an attempt to help just makes a bigger mess (which is so completely typical of kids at Christmastime). Love it.
Teea
Oct 15, 2008 Teea rated it it was amazing
i had this memorized when i was three years old and my mom has a tape of me reciting it to her. (back in the olden days 1982) it's now my kid's favorite.
Tiffany
Dec 19, 2008 Tiffany rated it liked it
My 3-year-old keeps asking me to read this book. It's a cute book, but I wonder if it is because he wreaks the same kind of havoc the little monster does. Hmmmm .....
Sylvester
Dec 30, 2012 Sylvester rated it liked it
3* art
3* story
Bethany
This is one of my favorite books by one of my favorite authors Mercer Mayer. I like this book because my mom read this series to me as a child
Josiah
Dec 11, 2015 Josiah rated it it was ok
Little Critter and Christmas: What's not to love? With his charming wit and deep-seated understanding of kids, Mercer Mayer takes us through Christmas beside his most famous character, and it's great fun. As the holiday fast approaches, Little Critter wants to do everything he can to be a help to his parents and prove his noble intentions to Santa Claus, but Advent doesn't make temptation any less alluring. Little Critter wants to buy a nice present for his parents, but how can he concentrate o ...more
Rosa Cline
Dec 18, 2016 Rosa Cline rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids, christmas, 2016
As in LIttle Critter fashion, he wants to do good and has good intentions but as he does things they don't always turn out like he hopes but his parents love him just as much just the same.
Rebecca Janda

The book "Merry Christmas, Mom and Dad" written by Mercer Mayer is a picture book about getting ready for Christmas. The main character Little Critter has all intentions of being a good helper for Christmas. Every time he makes a mistake he always has an excuse. Little Critter seriously means well, however, he just can't manage to do anything right. One example of how the illustrations show this is when he couldn't wrap the Christmas package because the tape good too sticky.

This book reminds m
Stacy
Sep 05, 2016 Stacy rated it liked it
Shelves: children, christmas
Kellee Hao
Nov 25, 2012 Kellee Hao rated it really liked it
What a cute story! I am in love with Christmas and anything that deals with Christmas, so this book was perfect for me. Sometimes, children mess up the work even more when they try to help, but their intentions are good. We see how they want to help us out and where they've gone wrong, but we can't help but to feel proud of their thoughtful minds. This would be a good book to read to children on what they can do to help with around the holidays.
Seth
Nov 15, 2012 Seth rated it really liked it
PB:46 Merry Christmas Mom And Dad. Funny little story depicting the truth about many Christmas' within a household. The illustrations are funny because they are true. When he walks into the room with all of his toys from Santa, you can't help but look at the parents' facial reactions when they see it's six in the morning and laugh! Great book to bring out on Christmas and enjoy it while celebrating one of the greatest days of the year. All of Mercer Mayer's books are priceless!
Connie
Aug 31, 2008 Connie rated it really liked it
We love Little Critter books around here. They're short, they're funny, they're topical, and they're cheap.

This one is just a sweet story about how Little Critter tries to make a special Christmas for his parents - naturally, following the formula of these books, he doesn't get it *quite* right. But that's okay :)
Gala
I remember wanting to make my mom's day special by doing something that I thought she might like. This Critter is on the same page as most children so relational in his efforts to love his parents. Critter is self centered like most children his age but he means well. Children read or listen to the story read to them.
Katie Roberts
Little Critter wants to be a good helper to his parents during Christmas time. But wrapping gifts is hard because the tape is too sticky, and buying them gifts is too hard when there are so many fun toys to choose from.
Cara
I loved these books as a kid. I was so happy that I stumbled across these at my local library. I don't think I read this particular book as a kid, but I enjoyed it. It made me think from the perspective of a child, that they're trying to do something nice even if they mess up.
Olson Family Matters
Dec 27, 2011 Olson Family Matters rated it really liked it
Shelves: pre-k-christmas
At first I thought this book wasn't going to be a success, and just something I liked when I was little - but Madelyn ended up consistently asking to read it during the last week we had it from the library. She also liked looking for the grasshopper and spider in each picture.
Yuyingchao
Dec 04, 2013 Yuyingchao rated it it was amazing
It is a picture book about getting ready for Christmas.
This one is just a sweet story,a cute story about celebrating christmas at home.
I have read this at least 10 times while sitting in the library!
love it :)
Cheryl
Jul 25, 2013 Cheryl rated it really liked it
Recommended to Cheryl by: Friends of Library
The first thought that comes to mind is "What a gentle little book!" Cute illustrations, and the ending brought a smile and tender memories. A good addition to those Christmas stories for very little ones.
Karen
Dec 05, 2014 Karen rated it really liked it
A cute book for kids at Christmas. Mercer Mayer always has fun illustrations and little critter is always trying to help but not quite getting it right. I love reading these books with my kids as it shows them they can keep trying and mom and dad will love you no matter what.
Brenda
Dec 10, 2012 Brenda rated it it was amazing
The best of intentions go awry! Darling book about getting ready for the holidays that made me smile:)
Lyndsay
As much he liked christmas and decorating, everything seemed to go terrible as he got out the lights, wrapped gifts, and tried to buy gifts for his parents Cute book at least he made the effort!
Kim Hampton
Dec 30, 2014 Kim Hampton rated it it was amazing
My kids love the Little Critter series, and this one is just as cute as all the others. Teaches kids (and grownups) that Christmas doesn't have to be perfect, as long as it's from the heart.
Dolly
Feb 22, 2010 Dolly rated it liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their little ones
Shelves: childrens, christmas, 2010
Cute little critter book that effectively depicts the excitement and anticipation of Christmas. It's a good story to read aloud with younger children.
Bobbi
Feb 18, 2009 Bobbi rated it it was amazing
My little brother's all time favorite. I am almost 11 years older than him...and helped him memorize it when he was three...by reading it over and over! VERY VERY CUTE!
Annette
Nov 21, 2008 Annette rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone who likes to read to small children
Yep! That's right, it's a Mercer Mayer book, which means I've probably read it a gazillion times!!!
Theresa
Jul 24, 2011 Theresa rated it liked it
Shelves: review
a cute story with a cute idea, using the stories of his daily life to teach children. a cute story about celebrating christmas at home
Tammy
Dec 14, 2012 Tammy rated it it was amazing
shows how complicated christmas can get. poor kid is soooo stressed out. hopefully the parent appreciates him.
Miri
Dec 21, 2014 Miri rated it it was amazing
Little Critter tries to help get things ready for Christmas....but end up giving more trouble than help.
Jessica Daniel
Perfect example of a child's excitement at Christmas time. My son loves it and I love to read it around Christmas.
  • The Berenstain Bears Meet Santa Bear
  • Clifford's Christmas
  • The Biggest, Most Beautiful Christmas Tree
  • Curious George Learns the Alphabet
  • Arthur's Christmas (Arthur Adventure Series)
  • Madeline's Christmas
  • The Night Before the Night Before Christmas
  • Merry Christmas, Strega Nona
  • Merry Christmas, Amelia Bedelia
  • Corduroy's Christmas Surprise
  • Merry Christmas, Big Hungry Bear!
  • Mickey's Christmas Carol: Classic Storybook
  • The Spirit of Christmas
  • Frosty the Snowman
  • I Spy Christmas: A Book of Picture Riddles
I began illustrating books in 1966. Since that time I have published over 300 books. Most of my books are about things that happened to me when I was a little kid. Now I'm a big kid and I write about things that happen now, especially with my own children. They always remind me of what it was like.

I was born in Arkansas in 1943. Boy, that was a long time ago! It's real fun to be an old kid. Then m
More about Mercer Mayer...

Little Critter (1 - 10 of 171 books)
  • Just for You (Little Critter)
  • Just Me and My Dad (Little Critter)
  • The New Baby (Little Critter)
  • All by Myself
  • I Was So Mad
  • Just Go to Bed
  • Just Grandma and Me
  • Just Grandpa and Me (Little Critter)
  • Me Too! (Little Critter)
  • When I Get Bigger