Start by marking “Merry Christmas, Mom and Dad (Little Critter)” as Want to Read:
Merry Christmas, Mom and Dad (Little Critter)

Merry Christmas, Mom and Dad (Little Critter)

4.28 of 5 stars 4.28  ·  rating details  ·  2,944 ratings  ·  38 reviews
Mercer Mayer's very popular character stars in a getting-ready-for-Christmas picture book. Little Critter approaches Christmas with the intention of being a good helper. When he makes a mistake, he has a logical explanation. He couldn't wrap the Christmas package because the tape got too sticky. He couldn't buy his parents a present because there were too many toys to look...more
Published September 10th 1999 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published July 1st 1982)

To ask other readers questions about Merry Christmas, Mom and Dad, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Merry Christmas, Mom and Dad

How the Grinch Stole Christmas! by Dr. SeussA Christmas Carol by Charles DickensThe Night Before Christmas by Clement C. MooreThe Polar Express by Chris Van AllsburgThe Best Christmas Pageant Ever by Barbara Robinson
Favorite Christmas Books
121st out of 636 books — 821 voters
How the Grinch Stole Christmas! by Dr. SeussThe Polar Express by Chris Van AllsburgThe Night Before Christmas by Clement C. MooreStar of Wonder by Paige W. PendletonWho's That Knocking on Christmas Eve? by Jan Brett
Favorite Christmas Picture Books
40th out of 237 books — 76 voters

More lists with this book...

babyhippoface
I loved reading this book with my older daughter when she was tiny. Everything Little Critter does in an attempt to help just makes a bigger mess (which is so completely typical of kids at Christmastime). Love it.
Tiffany
My 3-year-old keeps asking me to read this book. It's a cute book, but I wonder if it is because he wreaks the same kind of havoc the little monster does. Hmmmm .....
Teea
i had this memorized when i was three years old and my mom has a tape of me reciting it to her. (back in the olden days 1982) it's now my kid's favorite.
Sylvester
3* art
3* story
Rebecca Janda

The book "Merry Christmas, Mom and Dad" written by Mercer Mayer is a picture book about getting ready for Christmas. The main character Little Critter has all intentions of being a good helper for Christmas. Every time he makes a mistake he always has an excuse. Little Critter seriously means well, however, he just can't manage to do anything right. One example of how the illustrations show this is when he couldn't wrap the Christmas package because the tape good too sticky.

This book reminds m...more
Jessica Daniel
Perfect example of a child's excitement at Christmas time. My son loves it and I love to read it around Christmas.
Betsy
STINKING GREAT BOOK!
Seth
PB:46 Merry Christmas Mom And Dad. Funny little story depicting the truth about many Christmas' within a household. The illustrations are funny because they are true. When he walks into the room with all of his toys from Santa, you can't help but look at the parents' facial reactions when they see it's six in the morning and laugh! Great book to bring out on Christmas and enjoy it while celebrating one of the greatest days of the year. All of Mercer Mayer's books are priceless!
Kellee Hao
What a cute story! I am in love with Christmas and anything that deals with Christmas, so this book was perfect for me. Sometimes, children mess up the work even more when they try to help, but their intentions are good. We see how they want to help us out and where they've gone wrong, but we can't help but to feel proud of their thoughtful minds. This would be a good book to read to children on what they can do to help with around the holidays.
Cara
I loved these books as a kid. I was so happy that I stumbled across these at my local library. I don't think I read this particular book as a kid, but I enjoyed it. It made me think from the perspective of a child, that they're trying to do something nice even if they mess up.
Connie
We love Little Critter books around here. They're short, they're funny, they're topical, and they're cheap.

This one is just a sweet story about how Little Critter tries to make a special Christmas for his parents - naturally, following the formula of these books, he doesn't get it *quite* right. But that's okay :)
Mckinley
I think this is more for parents than children.
Kylie
I grew up reading the Little Critter books. This was by far my favorite! I recently saw it at a store and had a flashback to my childhood. I now have a 2-year old myself and she loves these just as I did. I think HER favorite so far has been "Lost at the Mall", which we frequently borrow from the library.
Gala
I remember wanting to make my mom's day special by doing something that I thought she might like. This Critter is on the same page as most children so relational in his efforts to love his parents. Critter is self centered like most children his age but he means well. Children read or listen to the story read to them.
Olson Family Matters
At first I thought this book wasn't going to be a success, and just something I liked when I was little - but Madelyn ended up consistently asking to read it during the last week we had it from the library. She also liked looking for the grasshopper and spider in each picture.
Katie Roberts
Little Critter wants to be a good helper to his parents during Christmas time. But wrapping gifts is hard because the tape is too sticky, and buying them gifts is too hard when there are so many fun toys to choose from.
Yuyingchao
It is a picture book about getting ready for Christmas.
This one is just a sweet story,a cute story about celebrating christmas at home.
I have read this at least 10 times while sitting in the library!
love it :)
Cheryl
Jul 25, 2013 Cheryl rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Cheryl by: Friends of Library
The first thought that comes to mind is "What a gentle little book!" Cute illustrations, and the ending brought a smile and tender memories. A good addition to those Christmas stories for very little ones.
Lyndsay
As much he liked christmas and decorating, everything seemed to go terrible as he got out the lights, wrapped gifts, and tried to buy gifts for his parents Cute book at least he made the effort!
Bobbi
My little brother's all time favorite. I am almost 11 years older than him...and helped him memorize it when he was three...by reading it over and over! VERY VERY CUTE!
Stevie
I'm reading a bunch of my little sister's books so I'm no longer behind in the 2011 challenge.

This book was cute, but not really worth reading... at least it was short.
Dolly
Feb 22, 2010 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents reading with their little ones
Shelves: 2010, childrens, christmas
Cute little critter book that effectively depicts the excitement and anticipation of Christmas. It's a good story to read aloud with younger children.
Vicki
Come on now, who doesn't LOVE the littler critter books. Nice text to tell the story and awesome pictures for little ones to look at and pour over.
Theresa
a cute story with a cute idea, using the stories of his daily life to teach children. a cute story about celebrating christmas at home
Tammy
shows how complicated christmas can get. poor kid is soooo stressed out. hopefully the parent appreciates him.
Annette
Nov 21, 2008 Annette rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone who likes to read to small children
Yep! That's right, it's a Mercer Mayer book, which means I've probably read it a gazillion times!!!
Brenda
The best of intentions go awry! Darling book about getting ready for the holidays that made me smile:)
The lovable, fantastically flawed Little Critter stars in a simple Christmas tale.
Chelsea
I have read this at least 100 times to my kids. Never get tired of it either. =)
Katie Beck
I think that this is a cute book to read close to christmas time.
  • The Berenstain Bears Meet Santa Bear
  • Clifford's Christmas
  • Arthur's Christmas (Arthur Adventure Series)
  • Curious George Learns the Alphabet
  • Madeline's Christmas
  • Merry Christmas, Amelia Bedelia
  • The Night Before the Night Before Christmas
  • I Spy Christmas: A Book of Picture Riddles
  • Merry Christmas, Big Hungry Bear!
  • Angelina's Christmas
I began illustrating books in 1966. Since that time I have published over 300 books. Most of my books are about things that happened to me when I was a little kid. Now I'm a big kid and I write about things that happen now, especially with my own children. They always remind me of what it was like.

I was born in Arkansas in 1943. Boy, that was a long time ago! It's real fun to be an old kid. Then m...more
More about Mercer Mayer...
Just Go to Bed Just for You (Little Critter) Just Me and My Dad (Little Critter) I Was So Mad There's a Nightmare in My Closet