Start by marking “Patchwork: A Story of the Plain People” as Want to Read:
Patchwork: A Story of the Plain People

Patchwork: A Story of the Plain People

3.82  ·  Rating Details  ·  182 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
This scarce antiquarian book is a selection from Kessinger Publishing's Legacy Reprint Series. Due to its age, it may contain imperfections such as marks, notations, marginalia and flawed pages. Because we believe this work is culturally important, we have made it available as part of our commitment to protecting, preserving, and promoting the world's literature. Kessinger ...more
Published September 10th 2010 by Kessinger Publishing (first published 1920)

To ask other readers questions about Patchwork, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Patchwork

Sandra Munoz
This book was written in 1920. I chose to read "The Plain People" because I wanted learn about Dunkards. My Great Great Grandfather was a Dunkard preacher. It was an easy read and not very exciting, but it did give me a glimpse into the life of Plain People.
Carol
Nov 03, 2014 Carol rated it it was amazing
'Patchwork: A Story of the Plain People' by Anna Blamer Myers is an enchanting story of a ten year girl in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania. She was raised as a United Brethren or as some people knew them, the Dunkards. The Dunkards are one of three Plain People religious groups who believed in pacifism and simplicity.

Phoebe, the main character hasn’t decided on whether or not to be “plain” when she becomes a woman. She lives with her father and her Aunt Maria in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania. H
jane Hicken
Jun 06, 2015 jane Hicken rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fame and Fortune

I gave this book about the "Plain People" 5 stars,because it is a precious story of love, heroic military servitude, Phoebe's learning the importance of simple life vs. a famed life of singing and so much more! It is a story that shows true love in many shapes and forms and the reality that quality time, lifelong friendships and constant showing of love is most important to those we hold dear to our hearts.
Margaret A Register
Sweet old-fashioned romance

I loved the quaint way with words-- from 1920, and the simplicity of life. The characters are not Quakers, but Pennsylvania Dutch, Brethren. Very well written.
Crystal
Jul 26, 2014 Crystal rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Very educational about the plain people, though sometimes the storylines dragged. not really abou the Amish
Karen
Jan 09, 2012 Karen rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Phoebe was brought up as one of the Plain People - they seem to be not Amish but some other religious persusion that dresses plainly. She grows up longing to see the world, but finds out it isn't as great out in the world as she thought it would be, comes back home as a school teacher.
Copyright is 1920 and it takes place in Lancaster County PA, so maybe this is either about the Amish or about what was perceived as Amish living at the time. Probably a typical 1920 era romance novel.
Free Kindle do
Marjorie Sapp
Touching ending

I liked the book but had a hard time following the story sometimes. it had very tender moments and I enjoyed the trip Phoebe took to realize what is really important in life.
Trisha
May 15, 2013 Trisha rated it liked it
Pretty good, clean book. I great look into the life of the "Plain People" Not a thriller by any means but still a great story.
Faith DeNucci
Faith DeNucci rated it it was amazing
Jun 17, 2016
John W Strother
John W Strother rated it really liked it
Jun 04, 2016
Kay Simpson
Kay Simpson rated it it was amazing
Jun 02, 2016
Judy C Adams
Judy C Adams rated it really liked it
May 23, 2016
martha j keck
martha j keck rated it liked it
May 12, 2016
Peggy
Peggy rated it it was amazing
May 03, 2016
Tammy Fuhrman
Tammy Fuhrman marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2016
Alexa Burks
Alexa Burks marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2016
Angela Aldershof
Angela Aldershof marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2016
Patricia Molloy
Patricia Molloy rated it liked it
Mar 10, 2016
Debbie carvajal
Debbie carvajal rated it liked it
Mar 08, 2016
Becca
Becca rated it really liked it
Mar 05, 2016
Karen
Karen added it
Mar 01, 2016
Jan Clark
Jan Clark rated it really liked it
Feb 28, 2016
Ruth Erickson
Ruth Erickson rated it it was amazing
Feb 27, 2016
Jeanie
Jeanie added it
Feb 07, 2016
Ian Donnelly
Ian Donnelly marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2016
Jc Brigid
Jc Brigid marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2016
John Komenda
John Komenda rated it liked it
Jan 31, 2016
  • Ella's Wish (Little Valley, #2)
  • The City of Fire
  • Simply Sara (Plain and Simple, #2)
  • A Perfect Square (Shipshewana Amish Mystery #2)
  • Seasons: A Real Story of an Amish Girl
  • Living in Harmony (New Beginnings, #1)
  • Rhythms of Grace
  • Faithful to Laura (Middlefield Family, #2)
  • Providence
  • Summer of Secrets (Seasons of the Heart #1)
  • Family Blessings (Amish Brides of Celery Fields, #2)
  • A Good-Hearted Man
  • Rosanna of the Amish
  • Dangerous Deception
  • A Stranger's Wish (Amish Farm Trilogy, #1)
  • Nadia's Hope