Start by marking “Patchwork: A Story of the Plain People” as Want to Read:
Patchwork: A Story of the Plain People

Patchwork: A Story of the Plain People

3.75 of 5 stars 3.75  ·  rating details  ·  135 ratings  ·  7 reviews
This scarce antiquarian book is a selection from Kessinger Publishing's Legacy Reprint Series. Due to its age, it may contain imperfections such as marks, notations, marginalia and flawed pages. Because we believe this work is culturally important, we have made it available as part of our commitment to protecting, preserving, and promoting the world's literature. Kessinger ...more
Published September 10th 2010 by Kessinger Publishing (first published September 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Patchwork, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Patchwork

Sandra Munoz
This book was written in 1920. I chose to read "The Plain People" because I wanted learn about Dunkards. My Great Great Grandfather was a Dunkard preacher. It was an easy read and not very exciting, but it did give me a glimpse into the life of Plain People.
Carol
'Patchwork: A Story of the Plain People' by Anna Blamer Myers is an enchanting story of a ten year girl in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania. She was raised as a United Brethren or as some people knew them, the Dunkards. The Dunkards are one of three Plain People religious groups who believed in pacifism and simplicity.

Phoebe, the main character hasn’t decided on whether or not to be “plain” when she becomes a woman. She lives with her father and her Aunt Maria in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania. H
Margaret A Register
Sweet old-fashioned romance

I loved the quaint way with words-- from 1920, and the simplicity of life. The characters are not Quakers, but Pennsylvania Dutch, Brethren. Very well written.
Crystal
Very educational about the plain people, though sometimes the storylines dragged. not really abou the Amish
Karen
Phoebe was brought up as one of the Plain People - they seem to be not Amish but some other religious persusion that dresses plainly. She grows up longing to see the world, but finds out it isn't as great out in the world as she thought it would be, comes back home as a school teacher.
Copyright is 1920 and it takes place in Lancaster County PA, so maybe this is either about the Amish or about what was perceived as Amish living at the time. Probably a typical 1920 era romance novel.
Free Kindle do
Marjorie Sapp
Touching ending

I liked the book but had a hard time following the story sometimes. it had very tender moments and I enjoyed the trip Phoebe took to realize what is really important in life.
Trisha
Pretty good, clean book. I great look into the life of the "Plain People" Not a thriller by any means but still a great story.
Deidre Sowerby
Deidre Sowerby marked it as to-read
May 17, 2015
Rhonda Chaney
Rhonda Chaney marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2015
Robin Wallace
Robin Wallace marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2015
Cindy
Cindy marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2015
Kathryn
Kathryn marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2015
Jenn
Jenn marked it as to-read
Mar 18, 2015
Rebecca Cole
Rebecca Cole marked it as to-read
Mar 17, 2015
Lynn
Lynn marked it as to-read
Mar 04, 2015
  • Simply Sara (Plain and Simple, #2)
  • Ella's Wish (Little Valley, #2)
  • Living in Harmony (The New Beginnings, #1)
  • A Rose Revealed (Amish Farm Trilogy, #3)
  • The Truant Officer
  • A Perfect Square (Shipshewana Amish Mystery #2)
  • Anna's Gift (Hannah's Daughters, #3)
  • The Search
  • Her Best Catch
  • Rhythms of Grace
  • Seasons: A Real Story of an Amish Girl
  • A Season of Love (Kauffman Amish Bakery #5)
  • Shadows of Lancaster County
  • Love Finds You in Amana, Iowa
  • Faithful to Laura (Middlefield Family #2)
  • Rachel's Secret (The Riverhaven Years, #1)
  • Summer of Secrets (Seasons of the Heart #1)
Amanda - a Daughter of the Mennonites Amanda: A Daughter of the Mennonites I Lift My Lamp Amanda a Daughter of the Mennonites