Start by marking “The Smushy Bus” as Want to Read:
The Smushy Bus

The Smushy Bus

2.94 of 5 stars 2.94  ·  rating details  ·  16 ratings  ·  6 reviews
When the regular schoolbus is in the shop, a clever driver must use all that he knows about addition and subtraction to ensure that seventy-six children get on--and off--of the four-seat substitute bus.
Published September 1st 2002 by Millbrook Press

To ask other readers questions about The Smushy Bus, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Smushy Bus

Kim
A math parable story: with child endangerment!

Seriously, I try not to get too philosophical with my children's books, but there are several laws being broken here that should perhaps be explained to any elementary class that you read it to.
Sara Lemonade
Sure, you can fit 76 kids on a short bus if you stack 12 of them on the upper shelves that all school buses have, fold up the crying kindergartners (Come on! We're 6! We don't cry on the bus!) and stuff them under the benches and let all the fourth graders ride on the roof.

Top it all off with a narrative full of subtraction and addition puns that I'm too young to get, and you've got a sum total of one underwhelming book.
Kathryn Wray
Cute to use for ELA/Math integration. I'm always interested in books that are published in Connecticut (this is published by Millbook Press in Brookfield). I think our students would understand that you can't literally hang students off the top of the bus to get them home.. But feel free to explain if needed!
Angie  Moore
Not as great as her newest books...I also think the format & words are too 'squished' on the pages :(
Catherine Johnson
This time there are no chickens but lots of fun still. The school bus is late and the school kids are driving the teachers crazy! When the new bus driver finally arrives, the bus is quite small. So how do all the school kids fit in the bus? Well they get squashed in, slip in, shoved in, pushed into all the nooks and crannies in a hilarious tale which kids will laugh out loud listening to.

Leslie really knows how to make kids and adults laugh with silly predicaments and funny words. The illustrati
Kris
Perfect for an early elementary math lesson - would be great for a math center.
Aiyah
Aiyah marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2015
Cheryl
Cheryl added it
Oct 23, 2013
Jason Beyer
Jason Beyer marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2013
Kim
Kim added it
Jun 23, 2009
Kat Montei
Kat Montei marked it as to-read
Oct 30, 2008
Stacy
Stacy marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2008
Shelly
Shelly marked it as to-read
Aug 06, 2008