Outlander

Outlander (Outlander #1)

4.13 of 5 stars 4.13  ·  rating details  ·  253,798 ratings  ·  16,967 reviews
Claire Randall is leading a double life. She has a husband in one century, and a lover in another...

In 1945, Claire Randall, a former combat nurse, is back from the war and reunited with her husband on a second honeymoon—when she innocently touches a boulder in one of the ancient stone circles that dot the British Isles. Suddenly she is a Sassenach—an "outlander"—in a Scot...more
Published July 17th 2001 by Doubleday Canada (first published January 1st 1991)

Eric
I wrote an irreverent but still pretty mean review of this book in 2007. It ruffled some feathers, which made me realize I was being too internet ugly about it. So I toned it down and went with a less prickly and more humorous vibe to describe why I didn't like it. Still pretty insulting in retrospect.

The comment section continued to blow up, taking on a life of its own with hundreds of comments as this review persisted at the top of the stack where most people would see it. I lost track of it f...more
Holly
A special note to those who say my review stopped them from reading this book: No no no! Read it! I actually reread the whole series last summer and enjoyed it immensely. Just read it for what it is: ludicrous, well-written, humorous, delicious TRASH. Just don't expect it to be the most brilliant novel ever written and you'll be fine.

How To Commit Adultery Without Being a Cheap Slutty Whore: A Q&A by Diana Gabaldon

Q: I love my husband but I'm feeling kind of restless. But adultery is wrong....more
Kelly
Jan 13, 2014 Kelly rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: all women, historical fiction lovers
Yes! I read this. I admit it! You caught me! Not only that... I loved it. It is a double sin I will likely have to one day repent for by reading piles of Dostoyevsky while I tear out my hair. In any case. Right, once again into the breach to defend myself!

This book is incredibly long. It's just a fact. All of them are. But they go by so incredibly fast. By the time I got to the third one? I read it in three days. The pages just keep turning. I read at double speed I was so engrossed in the story...more
RandomAnthony
(Ok, first off, there are going to be minor spoilers/hints in this review…read at your own risk, although I’ll try not to reveal too much.)

Outlander is a damn good book. Sure, the book has a blue fake leather cover, costs four bucks, and screams “spinning rack at the airport bookstore”. I approached the text with suspicion but found myself invested in the language and storyline within the first hundred pages. Here’s why:

TEN GOOD THINGS ABOUT OUTLANDER

1. The characterizations of Jamie and Claire,...more
Lisa
Contains SPOILERS ---
I was lying in a hospital bed with my leg broken, and once the library trolley came for a round of 'books, anyone?', my hand was in the air in no time.
Too late did the librarian notice the foreign literature on my bedside table and with a distraught expression try to recover 'Outlander';I said firmly: 'Oh no, Madam, I'll read that.'. Just enough time left for her to make up with a tome of controversial French literature on the genocide in Ruanda...
But as I'd said: my first...more
Julie (Mom2lnb)
Sep 15, 2008 Julie (Mom2lnb) rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: Fans of Scottish History, Romance or Time Travel
Reviewed for www.thcreviews.com

I've read that Outlander was originally marketed as a romance novel because the publisher didn't know what else to do with it, but this book is no ordinary romance novel. It doesn't follow any typical romance formula and is a real genre bender that doesn't fit neatly into any one category. Outlander has a swoon-worthy hero and dozens of truly romantic scenes that should be sufficient to satisfy even the most discriminating romance reader, while it's time travel asp...more
HeatherJay
I remember my friend in college ( 1992ish ) coming out of her room holding a book to her chest and saying " YOU HAVE TO READ THIS BOOK". She said it was a time travel romance book set in post world war II Scotland and mid 18th century Scotland.
Being as I was a 24 year old stoner and a 5th year college student, Lord of the Rings was more up my alley and I told her I'd "put in on my list"!! Fast forward to 2009, I'm on my usual Saturday morning sojourn to Barnes and Noble and I come across "Outla...more
Chelsea
Man, after the pitch I've heard about this book from basically every (female) reader I've ever met, I was expecting something that was NOT THIS. Fairly offensive, needlessly graphic, and smutty in that skeevy way, rather than the hot way. At one point, Jamie punishes Claire for disobeying him by literally spanking her - which was treated as perfectly understandable, and was quickly dismissed. I know that I cringed throughout the entire thing, and found it hard to believe that any relatively mode...more
Leslie
This series changed my life. I cannot even begin to go into the details of how much I fell in love with the main characters: Claire Beauchamp and Jamie Fraser. The love story between these two beautifully written characters actually transcends time and logic. Their devotion, respect and soul-reaching love was one of beauty and even awe inspiring. Theirs is a long and beautiful historic journey together reaching limits and boundaries of both heartwarming depth and gut-wrenching tragedy. Not to be...more
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads)
Okay, there are tons of reviews on this book, and I can't add too much to the review ether that hasn't already been said. But, I promised to write a review for every book I read, so I'll do this in an different kind of way. How about a Q&A session about this book?

Question and Answer Session With Danielle Regarding Outlander by Diana Gabaldon

1. So, you finally read it. How does it feel to read this 850 page magnum opus?

I feel a profound sense of accomplishment. I'm glad that I 'womaned-up' an...more
Aestas Book Blog
Here are a bunch of pics from the TV show being filmed right now :D

Latharia
I read the first 300 or so pages of the book. The first 200 had me hooked...and then the sex scenes started. I've got nothing against a sex scene or two ... but the main characters were having sex all the freaking time. And when it escalated to include violence, including a scene that I can only describe as rape (she says no, he forces her to have sex anyway), I closed the book & decided not to read anymore. I enjoy historical fiction ... just not this type of it, I suppose.
Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker
Update- 4/29/12- I'm having serious Outlander withdrawals, whenever this happens, I find myself searching for novels like this (not just time-travel, or historical romance, or rich with details, but the excellent writing as well) and always come up short. There is nothing out there like this and it is sad.

Re-read finished 1-16-12 (still the best damn book out there)

You can read my review as a guest reviewer here...

or below...

The Outlander series audioboo...more
Lynn
People kept telling me how good the Outlander series was, and I kept putting off reading them because they're time travel romances. Time travel romances are always completely cheesy aren't they?

Well, I finally broke down and read "Outlander," and quickly discovered it's one of the most original novels out there. I was happy to see that Barnes & Noble recently moved them out of the "romance" section because they are way more involved than your typical girl-meets-boy.

Claire, the World War II...more
Mimi Smith
5++++++ stars

Anyone who's known me longer than 5 minutes knows this is my favorite book. I've always said I'll never write a review about it. I gave in, but I won't be able to write anything dispassionate about it, nor write about it reasonably, so I'll just say what I love about it...

I love Jamie, Claire, Inverness, Castle Leoch, Jamie, Dougal and Colum, the wedding, Jamie, the humour, the childhood stories, Jamie, Lallybroch, Jenny, Jamie, Ian, the kids, JAMIE!, the desriptions, the ending...A...more
Kat Kennedy
Outlander is not a book for everyone. I'll put that right out there. If you think you can stomach extreme sexual violence as well as themes of sadism then go ahead. If you can understand good characters doing things in their historical context that would be seen as abuse now, then give it a try.

You won't be disappointed.

Gabaldon has finely crafted a novel that is radically different to the stereotype. This is no average love story. Her research is extensive and flawless; bringing to life a world...more
Duchess Nicole
Quick question: if this book has a quarter of a million ratings and still maintains an average rating of 4.13, why the hell are the most popular reviews the snarky, mean spirited, one or two star reviews? That doesn't match up at all with what I'd assume would be the case, which is that most people who read this book LOVED IT. Including me.
Please, people. If you enjoy a book, click "like" on the good reviews as well. That's what people see first when they look for reviews on Goodreads...the one...more
Alysha
Oct 03, 2008 Alysha rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: reader's of Harlequinn Romances
Too bad here isn't a rating stronger than "didn't like" because I hated this book. In fact, I read the entire thing just so that someone couldn't talk me out of hating it by saying "Oh, it gets better at the end" or "you really needed to read the whole thing to appreciate it".

This book isn't about Scotland or time travel, it's about Jamie and Claire having sex in different locations and positions. Throw in a little wife beating, rape and repeated torture and you've got yourself a toned-down Mar...more
Felicia
Ok, so historical romance isn't really my thing. I read this book because I got tipsy after a concert and went to the bookstore and bought a ton of "Highland-hunk" romance novels on whim and Twittered about it, so I had to read them all. Ugh. So, I read 4 other books that were hideously bad, and then this one was highly recommended to me by many on Twitter/Facebook as the cream of the crop. I was dubious.

I have to say, this is a LOVELY book. I'm not CRAZY motivated to read the rest of the series...more
Werner
Apr 30, 2008 Werner rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: Fans of time travel, historical fiction, or of romance with some substance
The description of the book above is inaccurate and misleading, in two respects: Claire's time travel isn't caused by touching a natural "boulder," but rather a magic-endued standing stone; and more importantly, Jamie isn't her illicit "lover," but her lawfully-wed husband. True, the fact that she has another husband in the 20th century raises the question of bigamy, and poses interesting time travel paradoxes; but I think Gabaldon, and her characters, take the position that Claire's future marr...more
Carrie
Jan 07, 2009 Carrie rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: someone who likes anything from historical fiction to romance to time travel to adventure.
I first read this book 3 years ago, and have devoured the 6 books in the series (so far) since. Since it's been a year since the last one came out, and I had recently OD'ed on YA lit, I decided to go back to the first book. I remembered why this is my favorite series. Even though I remembered the larger plot points, and know all the future plot points, I still couldn't put this down on it's second reading. I found myself falling in love with the characters all over again, and since Gabaldon writ...more
Stephanie
"Oh Hello. Who are you, where did you come from and what on earth are you sitting on?"

"Hi there. Um, I'm Stephanie, I came from The United States, 2011, and I'm sitting on a time mower. I "borrowed" it from my friend Kemper, he was pretty tanked on the corn liquor and semi buried in taco wrappers...I don't think he'll notice. Who are you and when are we?"

"Claire, I came from 1945, Brittan. But from what I can tell we are in mid evil Scotland. It took me more than a minute to figure that out, day...more
Wendy
James Alexander Malcolm MacKenzie Fraser, you're digging your way into this little heart of mine, you hot brave, sexy Highlander.

together_apart_by_captivated2-d3eqji9-1-c

I enjoyed this book quite a lot, even though there were a few things that didn't sit quite right with me, i.e the beating, the full account of Jamie's ordeal at the prison and Claire who I liked at the start, but ended up annoying me towards the end by her own foolishness. Alas, I took it in my stride and ended up enjoying the ride.

Jamie is wonderful, brave and has a...more
Claire Greene
Jan 24, 2008 Claire Greene rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: ANYONE
I'm not going to give a synopsis or anything, but I will say that this is one of the best series I have EVER read. And I read a lot. Tons. So to say that really means something. Don't let the romance label put you off, this series is difficult to define. The historical content is accurate and amazing, the characters are amazingly real and complicated, the storylines interesting and unexpected - really, I just can't say enough great things about this series. I have re-read the whole series at lea...more
Shannon (Giraffe Days)
It is 1945 and Claire Randall (nee Beauchamp) is enjoying her second honeymoon in Scotland with her husband Frank, a historian interested in tracing his family tree back to Jonathan Wolverton Randall, a Captain in the English army during the Jacobite period. They've been apart for almost all their 8 years of marriage, she working as a nurse, he working for MI5, during the war.

While exploring the countryside around Inverness she revisits a circle of stones on a hill and is transported back in tim...more
Tatiana
Nov 16, 2009 Tatiana rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: fans of historical romance
Recommended to Tatiana by: Kari
If you are reading this review, you probably already have an idea what this book is about - Claire, an English nurse vacationing with her husband in Scotland in 1945, miraculously time-travels 200 years back. She finds herself in a midst of Scottish clan politics, gradually gets accustomed to 18-century life style and eventually marries.

This book is customarily classified as a historical/romance novel. I am not a big fan of romance literature, so for a while I've been reluctant to read "Outlande...more
Megan Baxter
I was working in a bookstore when this book first started to be hugely popular. I have had friends who loved it practically swoon when they heard I hadn't read it. I've heard other people dismiss it out of hand. So, eventually, in absolutely no hurry, I had to check it out myself.

And the verdict? Meh. It's okay. Parts of it are interesting, but other parts (particularly the ones that are supposed to be suspenseful) are far too repetitive, and the narrative dwells on sexual violence in far more d...more
Katinki
This is actually a very difficult book for me to rate. Certain aspects of it were very good. Others, I didn't care for at all. I suppose I can say that as a whole I liked it "okay". Somewhere between a 2 and a 3, but I'm going to round down due to the seriousness of my dislikes.

What worked for me:
- Attention to detail (more on that below, however). It was very easy for me to visualize scenes and actions.
- In general, the premise for the novel was interesting. And some parts of it were very e...more
✽ Sharon is an emotional book junkie ✽
reviewed edited 2/12/12 at bottom of review

Outlander is the story of Claire who is from 1945 but accidentally travels back in time over 200 years and dumped right in the middle of a small skirmish between the English and the Scots. Lucky for her, she is saved by the Scots where she uses her nursing skills to tend to the wounds of a young, good looking Scot named Jamie.

Like mostly everyone else, I have put this book off due to the size, from people saying that the language is hard to understand a...more
The rape reenactment scene 24 218 6 hours, 22 min ago
Latvija: Ārzemju (2014 februāris) – Svešzemniece 9 56 Apr 15, 2014 01:22PM
Round Lake Librar...: Please check my events calendar!! 2 4 Apr 10, 2014 03:22AM
Why the hell does Claire BRUSH her hair? 39 252 Apr 05, 2014 07:36AM
Buddy Read Zone: Outlander 6/21/2013 1677 122 Mar 30, 2014 08:07PM
  • Fire Along the Sky (Wilderness, #4)
  • Mariana
  • The Summer Garden (The Bronze Horseman, #3)
  • Highland Guardian (Daughters of the Glen, #2)
  • A Knight in Shining Armor
  • Untamed (MacKinnon's Rangers, #2)
  • Rivals for the Crown (Highland, #2)
  • Kiss of the Highlander (Highlander, #4)
  • Here be Dragons (Welsh Princes, #1)
  • The Hawk (Highland Guard, #2)
  • The Forbidden Rose (Spymasters, #1)
  • Through a Glass Darkly (Through a Glass Darkly, #2)
  • A Dance Through Time (MacLeod, #1)
  • The Winter Rose (The Tea Rose, #2)
Diana Jean Gabaldon Watkins grew up in Flagstaff, Arizona and is of Mexican-American and English descent. She has earned three degrees: a B.S. in Zoology, a M.S. in Marine Biology, and a Ph.D in Ecology.

She currently lives in Scottsdale, Arizona .
More about Diana Gabaldon...
Dragonfly in Amber (Outlander, #2) Voyager (Outlander, #3) Drums of Autumn (Outlander, #4) The Fiery Cross (Outlander, #5) A Breath of Snow and Ashes (Outlander, #6)

72 trivia questions
2 quizzes
More quizzes & trivia...
“I can bear pain myself, he said softly, but I couldna bear yours. That would take more strength than I have.” 432 likes
“Oh, aye, Sassenach. I am your master . . . and you're mine. Seems I canna possess your soul without losing my own.” 407 likes