Start by marking “Live Your Life for Half the Price: Without Sacrificing the Life You Love (Debt-Proof Living)” as Want to Read:

Readers receive tips, resources and techniques for half-price living. Financial well-being is not measured by one's income. It's the money you don't spend that gives you freedom to live the life you love.
Published October 1st 2005 by DPL Press

To ask other readers questions about Live Your Life for Half the Price, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Live Your Life for Half the Price

Victoria Klein
Aug 01, 2010 Victoria Klein rated it really liked it
There is no better time than now to tackle your growing debt - economic depression or not. “Affluence is not measured by your annual income. Affluence is determined by how many of your resources you manage not to spend – the amount of income you keep,” says bestselling author Mary Hunt.

According to her book, Live Your Life for Half the Price: Without Sacrificing the Life You Love, Mary says, “no matter your current income, you can do better with what you have without giving up the life you love.
Jared
May 09, 2011 Jared rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2008
Live Your Life for Half the Price by Mary Hunt is a wonderful book. Mary has gathered almost 300 pages of ways to save money and help yourself get out of debt. She has a very easy way of writing and does not talk down to readers, but rather offers practical and everyday suggestions on ways to save money. Need some examples? How about saving money on your car, home, insurance, groceries, fees, and a whole bunch more! Mary uses this book in connection with her other book Debt-Proof Living which I ...more
Nov 27, 2008 Laura rated it really liked it
This was a great book with many good ideas for finding ways to spend less in many areas in life. She recommends spending only 80% of your money, saving 10%, and giving away 10%. One of my favorite ideas she has is making a list of best prices for everything so you know if something you see on sale is really a good deal or not. She also says to want what you have, and be content with the things you do have. I would read this one again, but probably just reread a few chapters instead of the entire ...more
Yulia Vorotyntseva
Dec 26, 2013 Yulia Vorotyntseva rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction
I wish I read this book immediately after coming to the US. I'm not a spender, and I have been tracking and planning all my expenditures for 3 years so far. Still, I learned a great amount of incredible tricks from this book. US-specific tricks.

I'm not quite agree with the wardrobe chapter -- the described approach works bad for me. Surprisingly, spontaneous shopping turned out to be cheaper for me, especially with flash sales.
Paula Quinene
Oct 09, 2014 Paula Quinene rated it it was amazing
I bought this book forever ago! The two things that came out of it that were worth the price: couponing (before the frenzy of "extreme couponing." The author included info on how to use thegrocerygame.com. I saved a TON of money...but then the sales/coupon availability plummeted and stores got more strict. The second nugget was a selection of excellent recipes that were easy to make, not very expensive, and most of all delicious!
Jwinkel
Jan 07, 2009 Jwinkel rated it really liked it
This is a great resource for ways to cut your living expenses but still live a comfortable life. It has excellent tips on ways to buy cars, groceries, shop for insurance, and otherwise save money in simple ways from day to day. She's easy to read.The chapters are to the point and not bogged down with too much info. Recommended to anyone who wants to be smarter about their finances.
Ashley
Jan 09, 2013 Ashley rated it really liked it
This is a decent book. Well written and clever. Full of practical advice that most people dont think of for some reason. I had already been through the Dave Ramsey program, so it was new info to me. I highly recommend this to people who are new to the idea of really taking control of their finances.
Lisa
Jan 20, 2013 Lisa rated it it was ok
I am a very frugal person so I am already doing the things listed in this book. However, if you are in debt, I think this book has a lot of practical suggestions for getting out and staying out of debt.
Kristen
Apr 14, 2011 Kristen rated it liked it
Most of this wasn't applicable to our situation. This was more of a moral booster to be a wise consumer to avoid waste.
Heather
Mar 22, 2012 Heather rated it liked it
I don't read too many finance books, but for some reason this author caught my eye. She has good common sense through experience. I learned a few things and am going to put them into practice.
Stacy
Feb 02, 2010 Stacy rated it really liked it
This is a very good book. It has a lot of helpful tips on getting, staying out of debt, and living off 80% of your income.
Stephanie
Mar 11, 2008 Stephanie rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
The key to financial freedom is to live below your means. This book teaches you how to limit your overall spending to %80 of your net income.

There's a lot of great tips in here.
Mar 30, 2016 Laura rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Any wanting to learn how to save money on groceries, bills, etc.
Shelves: finances, 2008, frugality
A great resource, especially for those starting out, on how to save money on EVERY area of your life.
Angela
Feb 23, 2010 Angela rated it really liked it
Shelves: 330-finances
ideas in a variety of life spheres. Not just info on retirement plans and IRAs, but anywhere there is a money drain: practical ideas on wardrobe and food management, for example.
Casey
Casey rated it really liked it
Jul 07, 2013
Chris
Chris rated it it was amazing
Jul 06, 2016
Amanda
Amanda rated it liked it
May 12, 2011
Julie
Julie rated it really liked it
Jan 04, 2011
Michelle
Michelle rated it it was amazing
Sep 25, 2010
Angie
Angie rated it liked it
Dec 03, 2015
Melissa
Melissa rated it it was ok
Jul 17, 2011
Amy
Amy rated it liked it
Dec 25, 2011
micheleschnorr
micheleschnorr rated it it was amazing
Dec 30, 2015
Sharon
Sharon rated it it was ok
Feb 11, 2012
Kelly Clevinger Bernard
Kelly Clevinger Bernard rated it really liked it
Sep 17, 2014
Linda
Linda rated it really liked it
Apr 25, 2008
J. R. Longsdorf
J. R. Longsdorf rated it it was amazing
Dec 25, 2014
Cherye Elliott
Cherye Elliott rated it really liked it
Jun 06, 2014
Jennifer rated it liked it
Feb 28, 2008
Beverly
Beverly rated it really liked it
Apr 17, 2012