Start by marking “Sabine's Notebook: In Which the Extraordinary Correspondence of Griffin & Sabine Continues” as Want to Read:

Sabine's Notebook: In Which the Extraordinary Correspondence of Griffin & Sabine Continues (Griffin & Sabine Trilogy #2)

4.17  ·  Rating Details  ·  8,528 Ratings  ·  284 Reviews
Devotees of Bantock's enigmatic bestseller, Griffin & Sabine , won't be disappointed by this equally intriguing and perplexing--and equally gorgeous--sequel. London artist Griffin Moss and islander Sabine Strohem, who have never met face-to-face or spoken via phone, exchange hand-illustrated, handwritten letters and postcards--ostensibly reproduced here, tucked into en ...more
Published 1992 by Raincoast Books

Matthew
True Rating: 4.5 Stars

What do I have to say when it comes to a book series, filled with postcards and letters, and yet we are right back to square one with this book? I really enjoyed it but I felt disconnected overall when it came to this particular book.

In the previous book, Sabine finally travels to London to meet Griffin but unfortunately he magically disappeared from the face of the world leaving his studio empty with only his postcards and letters from Sabine. We do not know if Sabine is a
Hannah Greendale
In which the story of Griffin and Sabine takes an odd turn. The use of postcards and letters is no less entrancing than it was in the first book of the series. One of the subtle charms of Sabine's Notebook is the care given to describing architecture in evocative ways with use of few words: Cold marble. Smoky walls. Silent stones.

[The church] was a dark place, steeped in death. As I stood looking at it, I felt its roots running below the city like a black twin to the underground.

The museum is c
Mont'ster
I'm probably going to get flamed for this but I read this book and I was really not all that impressed. Since I was working selling books at the time, I realize that there are some people who are passionate about the entire Griffin & Sabine series. That's fine - you are welcome to your opinion but honestly, I did not find this book engaging enough to even attempt any of the other books in the series. It was a mildly entertaining read but not something that I would repeat or something that I ...more
Melissa McShane
This sequel to Griffin and Sabine is more of what I loved about the first book: beautiful art and the fun of reading an imaginary correspondence. I can't call it a successful romance because I didn't fall in love with the characters the way they fell in love with each other, but the ending was intriguing enough to make me want to continue to the next book.
Inggita
Aug 06, 2007 Inggita rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
love "opening" mails with fake-nation stamps on it - or "peeking" into other people's mail - it's feeding on this fantasy of having such fabulous painting as your country's postage - amidst streams of meaningless emails we get at work ;-( this suppressed mail-envy is feeding nick's fan into book hysteria.
Christina
Jun 13, 2007 Christina rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: artists
I suppose the story is alright, it's a bit melodramatic for my taste, but the artwork is absolutely amazing - a mix of surreal and still life impossible to resist. Which is why I'll be checking out all the other books in this series too, certainly not for the overblown "love" story.
Jessica
Nov 12, 2015 Jessica rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Scared that Sabine isn't just a figment of his imagination, but a real person, Griffin flees when she comes to meet him. Now their letters and cards are coming from all around the globe. Is it real? Is it love? Is someone else watching them?
Eyehavenofilter
Feb 10, 2013 Eyehavenofilter rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: artworthy
Now it's Sabines turn, it's like a treasure hunt, across the universe, to find the answer to the ultimate question, or maybe to even find the question it's self. But these artistically beautiful poetic declarations of love are worth reading over and over again. Each is a beautiful treasure all in its own. Collage, watercolor, print, script, you name it; any and every medium is used to its finest and fullest potential.
I can't really say much mor it's just pure EYECANDY!
Yeah I know I usually wri
Elizabeth A
Sep 25, 2013 Elizabeth A rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
This is the second book in the Griffin and Sabine trilogy, and I would highly recommend reading all three of these visual novels back to back. There are clues all over the place people, so don't rush through. My love affair with mail art continued as I poured over the postcards and letters. I think the less you know about the story the better it unfolds, so quit reading this review and just dive in.
Anne
May 23, 2007 Anne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not sure that I really understood what was going on but the pictures were very special. I think what I liked the most about these books was sensation of reading personal letters, cards, and postcards.
Amber Ditullio
The second book in the Griffin and Sabine trilogy (that eventually spawned a second trilogy) sees Sabine come to London, only to find that Griffin has fled. The letters between them continue, Sabine being the supportive friend and love as Griffin tries to figure himself out. Of all of the books in this series, this is the one that explores change and acceptance more than any of the others.

As with the first book, Sabine's Notebook has beautiful, sometimes disturbing artwork that only adds to the
Shivani Dayal
Again, amazing book. Reading it actually makes you feel the excitement of receiving a letter/postcard from someone you care about. Through this series, you can feel yourself getting attached to both Griffin and Sabine. It's quite mysterious though, and I'm still not entirely sure Sabine even exists. Super-interesting, I'm planning to read the third one as well.
Erin Germain
The story continues, with the characters essentially switching places this time. The artwork was at the same amazing level, but I guess the story didn't resonate with me quite as much as the first book. Griffin started to annoy me with his somewhat depressed mood and I also wanted to see how the pair would (or if they would) actually meet face-to-face.
Audrey-anne
This is not the type of book you could call riveting, but the art was even better than the first and that twist at the end, again! I'm intrigued.
ciah
Jun 28, 2016 ciah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned, 2016
this one wasn't as intriguing throughout... that ending saved it though.
Julia Pillard
Apr 22, 2016 Julia Pillard rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my local friends brought these books to me unexpectedly when we met for drinks this week. "You have to read these," she said. I said I would, and last night I sat up for several hours reading all three that she'd given me. I was utterly enraptured.
This book is told through letters and postcards from Griffin and Sabine. Griffin, a lonely artist, has run away from his flat in London just before Sabine arrives. He believes he's conjured her up and she can't possibly be real. Sabine arrives a
Barbara
Feb 28, 2015 Barbara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I discovered this Trilogy by Nick Bantock when I picked up Griffin & Sabine for a dollar at our local library book sale. The joy of books (advertisement for reading) is that this early 1990’s series was vibrant and new to me in 2015. I immediately went to the library and checked out all of the Nick Bantock’s books (also an advertisement for libraries). The story and artwork are as engaging today as they must have been 20+ years ago.

I was immediately hooked by the intriguing story, quirky for
Pixelina
Apr 08, 2014 Pixelina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, z2014-read
3 stars for the story that quite frankly is a little thin, but 5 stars for art and concept.
I especially loved that drawing of a dragonfish, thinking of having it framed.
Lynn
Jun 10, 2016 Lynn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Today's post is on Sabine's Notebook by Nick Bantock. It is the second in his Griffin & Sabine trilogy. It is 48 pages long and is published by Chronicle Books. The cover is a beautiful, stylized map of Europe. The intended reader is someone who loves art, reading other peoples mail, and where art and story meet. There is no language, no sex, and no violence in this book. The story is told from the first person perspective of the two main characters. There Be Spoilers Ahead.

From the dust jac
Alex
Oct 23, 2011 Alex rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: art
I lost interest with this one and really preferred the mysterious way the first book ended. Bantock seemed to have been under pressure from fans and the publisher both to crank out another bestseller. The passion that was so distinct with GRIFFEN & SABINE was clearly missing in SABINE'S NOTEBOOK.
Nisah Haron
Jul 30, 2012 Nisah Haron rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Nisah by: ninotaziz ninotaziz
Extraordinary!
The letters and postcards were continuously exchanged between Griffin and Sabine but their positions were reversed. Griffin went globetrotting and soul-searching. Sabine came to his studio in London, or did she?
Margie
Feb 01, 2012 Margie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Dawn
Shelves: fiction, series
A bit darker than the first in this trilogy. Still lovely artwork. The book ends with another bit of mystery, but the one at the end of the first book was better, or more of a surprise, than this one.
Jess
From Griffin's first letter...
"Will you wait for me?... I'm running from you, but I'm also searching for a way to accept my fate, which I know to be bound to yours."

"Wanting to look like an adventurer rather than accepting the idea that I'm behaving like a madman hiding from his shadow."

"Could all my confusion be punishment for lack of faith in you?"

Sabine...
"Your preparations for "creating into no-man's land" have the sound of a death wish. Why not try to view the next stage of your journey as
Amerynth
Definitely not enjoying this series as much as I did the first time I read it-- back in the 90's. However, I keep picking up the next volume so I guess I can't complain too much.

In this installment of Nick Bantock's series, Griffin and his penpal/love Sabine are once again separated as he flees London when she arrives for a contrived reason that drives the rest of the book. It ends with a good cliffhanger, which propels you right to the next book.

The fun of the "Sabine's Notebook" is reading the
Libby
Aug 13, 2007 Libby rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Those who like books like The Missing Piece
Shelves: booksilove
I would say this story is a love story. And I would say this is a book for adults, though children would like it for other reasons than adults would. It's magical.
Ape
Apr 12, 2014 Ape rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
This is a continuation of the strange tale started in Griffin and Sabine. It is still beautifully and hauntingly illustrated, with this celebration of snail mail through postcards and actual letters that you have take out of their envelopes. As it's a continuation, I don't know how interesting the story would be if you started with this book without having read Griffin and Sabine. In this they both go travelling, Sabine to London and Griffin around the world, without managing to meet up. So I lo ...more
Raina
Sep 05, 2007 Raina rated it it was amazing
I ADORE these books! The entire Trilogy is so inventive and imaginative and wonderful...especially for someone like me who lives to write letters.
AJ Best
Jan 15, 2015 AJ Best rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another stunning display of artwork and wordsmith. Why does Bantock love to bait me so? Off to the end of the trilogy.
Brianna
Three stars

I did not enjoy this one as much as the first. The story wasn't as engaging this time. I understand the narrative and the actions of Griffin. So, I can appreciate the reasoning. If the entire series of these short books were to be put into a novel, this would be one of the slower character realizing/developing/growing parts.

Even though it was slower moving, I thoroughly enjoyed the artwork. Made it worth the while to me. Curious as to how the rest of the story unfolds. I have some th
Susan
Apr 18, 2016 Susan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is such a beautiful, unique and imaginative book. I enjoyed this one slightly less than the first book in the series mostly because I found Griffin a bit cowardly and self-indulgent. I think that when I first read this book I was much younger and more tolerant of this kind of behaviour but now I'm older and crustier I find it annoying. Sabine seems to be the voice of reason in this relationship! If I were her I wouldn't have been so understanding and patient. I guess I'm too grouchy for a m ...more
  • The Tattooed Map
  • Amphigorey Also (Amphigorey, #3)
  • Paris Out of Hand: A Wayward Guide
  • Journal: The Short Life and Mysterious Death of Amy Zoe Mason
  • Lady Cottington's Pressed Fairy Book
  • 500 Handmade Books: Inspiring Interpretations of a Timeless Form (500 Series)
  • Collage Discovery Workshop: Make Your Own Collage Creations Using Vintage Photos, Found Objects and Ephemera
  • Still Mostly True
  • Georgia O'Keeffe: Art and Letters
  • Untitled (The Bee On The Comb)
  • The Detective and Mr. Dickens
  • The Lover's Path: An Illustrated Novella of Venice
  • The journey is the destination : the journals of Dan Eldon
  • The Book as Art: Artists' Books from the National Museum of Women in the Arts
  • Supergods: What Masked Vigilantes, Miraculous Mutants, and a Sun God from Smallville Can Teach Us About Being Human
  • Blue Chicken
Nick was schooled in England and has a BA in Fine Art (painting). He has authored 25 books, 11 of which have appeared on the best seller lists, including 3 books on the New York Times top ten at one time. ‘Griffin and Sabine’ stayed on that list for over two years. His works have been translated into 13 languages and over 5 million have been sold worldwide. Once named by the classic SF magazine We ...more
More about Nick Bantock...

Griffin & Sabine Trilogy (4 books)
  • Griffin and Sabine (Griffin & Sabine Trilogy #1)
  • The Golden Mean (Griffin & Sabine Trilogy #3)
  • The Pharos Gate: Griffin & Sabine's Lost Correspondence

“I have loved you in every manner that my imagination could contrive. I have wanted you so deeply that my body sang with pain and pleasure. You have been my obsession, my passion, my philosophers' stone of fantasy. You are my desire, my longing, my spirit. I love you unconditionally. - Sabine Strohem” 17 likes
“Do you see that I cherish you beyond question, that you have nothing to prove to me? You are making your journey to secure yourself. I am already tethered to your side. if you can love yourself as I love you there will be no dislocation --- you will be whole. Bring yourself home to me and I will immerse you in very ounce of tenderness I possess. - Sabine Strohem” 12 likes