Start by marking “Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret” as Want to Read:
Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret

Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret

3.89  ·  Rating Details ·  161,468 Ratings  ·  5,148 Reviews
Margaret Simon, almost twelve, has just moved from New York City to the suburbs, and she’s anxious to fit in with her new friends. When she’s asked to join a secret club she jumps at the chance. But when the girls start talking about boys, bras, and getting their first periods, Margaret starts to wonder if she’s normal. There are some things about growing up that are hard ...more
Audio, 0 pages
Published December 29th 2009 by Listening Library (Audio) (first published 1970)

To ask other readers questions about Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret, please sign up.

Hermione That is how she starts her prayers. This isn't a super religious book though
Whisperwind Well... this book is about girls and what they go through during puberty so... unless you are trying to find out which gender has the hardest time…moreWell... this book is about girls and what they go through during puberty so... unless you are trying to find out which gender has the hardest time during puberty.... I would NOT recommend this to a guy.(less)

Erin
Apr 27, 2007 Erin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: once-upon-a-time
I first read this book in kindergarten. After getting into an argument with the PTA lady running the school book fair about whether or not I could buy the book (I thought she was trying to imply that I couldn't read it, which I found insulting) - an argument that was ultimately settled by a call home to my mom - I brought the book home and read it all on a Friday night. Up past my bedtime, I snuck downstairs, where my parents were entertaining friends, and announced that I had a question about w ...more
Stina
Mar 07, 2009 Stina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Isn't it pathetic that as a girl, once you learn about periods, you just can't wait to get one, and then for the rest of your life, you just wish the effers would go away? Except of course, the periods that show up JUST when you need them to- like when one is perhaps a few days late and not super confident in her decision-making skills during the last month. Those periods are probably even better than the satisfaction of that very first one.

K.D. Absolutely
Oct 20, 2010 K.D. Absolutely rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to K.D. by: Time 100
Shelves: ya, chick-lit, time-100
During the final round in the 2011 Miss Universe pageant, Miss Philippines Shamcey Supsup was asked this question:
”Would you change your religious beliefs to marry the person you love? Why or why not?”
Supsup answered:
”If I had to change my religious beliefs, I will not marry the person that I love. Because the first person that I love is GOD who created me. And I have my faith and my principles. And these what make makes me who I am. And if that person loves me, he should love my God too. T
Lola  Reviewer
This novel discusses subjects of importance to preteen girls, like kissing, bras, boys and menstruation. Presence of religion, but no exasperating preaching. Parents, gift this to your children.

As a side note, Margaret is the only girl I know who is excited about getting her period. The way I see it, the longer the wait, the better. Because blood, cramps and no white pants.
Tiphany
Jan 31, 2008 Tiphany rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who use the word "menses".
Oh, how I do miss the 1970 edition of this book. Somehow the cute little cover girl of the new edition, what with the sparkling eyes and her head in the clouds, doesn't express the loneliness and contemplative nature of Miss M. in the same way the little girl with lank brown hair and brown knee socks did. And how else can one completely alarm and overwhelm a modern 10-year-old about the mysteries of the pubescent female body without the mention of the belt?

When I first read the book, not only wa
Deanna
Oct 15, 2015 Deanna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm feeling very nostalgic today.

I can still remember sitting on the floor in the library and reading this book. One of my favorite authors when I was young.

If I didn't have so much to read I would read it again now. Actually if I can find my box of old books I probably will read it again. I LOVED this book :)
John
Mar 20, 2007 John rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book again very recently as part of a program in which volunteers help teach childen and adults who have difficulty with reading and comprehension to read for understanding and ulimately enjoyment.

The girl I was reading with was very moved by the book. I guess, I had taken it for granted. Blume clearly knows her audience and speaks to them. As a young, fat boy, I read Blubber and Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing (along with 1001 Arabian Nights) over and over under the covers by the y
Alex
Apr 19, 2017 Alex rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those waiting for busts and/or periods
Shelves: 2017
The first thing Margaret asks God is "Don't let New Jersey be too horrible," so you know she's in for a rough time with God. The second thing she asks for is boobs.

What makes Blume so wonderful - well, there are lots of things, but one of them is that she respects her audience, which is specifically 12-year-old girls and no one else. She's tackling big subjects here - puberty and God, so that's half of the entire list of Big Subjects - and she respects their difficulty. Margaret is the product
Deborah Markus
I loved this book so much as a kid. It was interesting rereading it now.

One thing that startled me was something I barely noticed when I was younger: Margaret gets very angry at God at one point, and decides she's not talking to him any more. She thinks he's been mean to her, and she's hitting back as best she can.

Which is fine. Very believable. But then she starts telling everyone that she doesn't believe in God. And whenever she says that, she thinks to herself that she hopes he's listening.
Emer
May 21, 2016 Emer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Emer by: My Mum
GAAAAAHHHHH!!!!! I'm feeling nostalgic!!!!

Oh I remember reading this book when I was 11 years old and I'd just gotten my first period (oh the trauma!!!!!!) and knew NOTHING about EVERYTHING even though I refused to admit publicly that I didn't understand anything!!!

And there was Margaret. As clued in and as clueless as I was!!! She was a wonderful protagonist. And I DISTINCTLY remember the contraptions that Judy Blume described as for use as a sanitary towel in this book.... belts and all sort
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books)
You have to love a book with the lines "We must, we must, we must increase our busts."
Rebecca McNutt
This is an excellent middle-grade classic about a girl who, rather than having to pick a faith, creates her own personal version of faith and religion. Creative and daring, Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret is an incredible story for all ages.
Justin
Feb 06, 2016 Justin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Are you there feminine side? It's me, Justin. It was great getting to know you better. Full review on the way....
Brian Yahn
Apr 10, 2016 Brian Yahn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Are you there, Judy Blume? It's me, Brian. I loved your book. I devoured it in one sitting. It was enlightening but at the same time funny as can be. Never had I ever wanted to be a ten year-old girl, and now I kind of do. Is that okay? Am I normal? I find myself going up to my friends and saying, "I must--I must--I must increase my bust." They think it's strange. Anyway, thanks for writing this story. It was more fun than a Pixar movie and taught me a lot. I hope you have a good day.
Stacia (the 2010 club)
No Boyz Allowed!1!!!1eleven!1!!one!1!!

4 stars for my love of the book as a child.

2 stars for how it reads now as an adult.

= 3 star average.

I was cleaning out my stuff and found this book and had a sudden urge to revisit my childhood.

As a child, this was one of those books that I read over and over (probably because my mom didn't want me reading it). I was probably about 9 or 10 when I snuck (wait, this isn't a word? why am I getting spell-checked?) Are You There God? into my house.

It put the f
anique Halliday
Mar 24, 2007 anique Halliday rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Every Saturday growing up, my mother would drop me off at the public library and wouldn't come back for several hours. Instead of dwelling on the problem of abandonment, I got lost in the stacks and one day found this book. I remember loving it and rooting for and identifying with the main character--a girl trying to reach out, needing only someone to listen to her as she tries to figure out what the hell is going on.
AE
I read this book while living in Greece and listening to Kasey Casem's top forty. I remember that "Total Eclipse of the Heart" was the number one song and I also remember Casey telling the story of Bonnie Tyler's vocal dramedy and comeback. What does it have to do with this book? Um, not much.

I was about ten, aleady had boobs and a period (both of which I wanted to jettison). I found the book amusing because I could relate to the religious power struggle that plagued our protag. Also I was the
Ammara Abid
This book is not for me.
melissa
Apr 02, 2007 melissa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was prohibited from reading Judy Blume books. My parents said so. So, beginning in the seventh grade, I secretly checked them out from the school library and hid in my room and read them instead of doing homework. Ahhh, clandestine reading. This was the first that I read and, though not my favorite Judy Blume, definitely something I wouldn't mind taking a crack at now. I wonder if it would be as good reading it now that my parents don't care?
Bethany
Feb 17, 2008 Bethany rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Carolyn Heinze
Re-read this recently for the hell of it and was once again swept away by Blume's talent for capturing the adolescent spirit (god, how awful puberty was). Unfortunately, the newer addition featured some technical updates (women will know what I mean), and I see why they did this, however I think girls today would be well served to learn how clunky feminine hygiene products were back when Margaret first hit the shelves.
Jessica
Nov 17, 2007 Jessica rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: don't jump the gun, wait until you're Margaret's age, and totally crazy
This book made no sense to me (no, I didn't read it en español, that was just the best cover). I thought the characters were totally crazy, and couldn't relate at all to their bizarre obsessions and behavior. I could not for the life of me figure out why anyone in her right mind would look forward to bleeding out of her private parts, let alone what was so desirable about wearing a bra, or growing breasts in the first place, let along pubic hair (ew!). Later on, sadly, I would become all too fam ...more
Judy
Aug 02, 2012 Judy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: 6th grade girls and their moms

THE SUNDAY FAMILY READ

Judy Blume is nine years older than I am. I did not read her books growing up because they weren't published yet. They would have helped me a great deal but by the time this one was published in 1970, I was married and having my first baby.

I decided to read this now because I have come to the part of my memoir where I need to write about my early awareness of sex and all that goes along with changing from a child to a teen to a young woman. I found myself very blocked and f
Jessica
May 29, 2008 Jessica rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kidlit
I was not allowed to read Judy Blume as a kid, so of course I read any one of them I could find and hide from my mom. This is a fun one, one of the quintessential girl-growing-up books, and yet I had a bit of a hard time with it. You see, unlike just about every other girl (according to a number of books I read in the 1980's with young girl protagonists), I wasn't waiting with bated breath to get my period. Nope. Not interested. So books that revolved around finding out what that was like, or we ...more
Lina
Whenever I read books like these it always reminds me of how stifled I was as a child. No spin-the-bottle and 3 minutes in the closet for me. Instead it was a constant back and forth between home and school. I had my first friend sleep over a month ago and I'm nineteen for Hera's sake!

That being said, the beauty of this book and Judy Blume's way of writing it, is that it captures a point in a girl's life when she's pressured with growing up. As I read Margaret's story I understood that exciteme
Crystal
Jul 26, 2007 Crystal rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: any female, woman or girl
This is the ultimate book that every female, whatever her age, should read AT LEAST once! It's the charming story of 12 year old Margaret who learns what entering into womanhood is about. It's everything, we as females, go through from a young girl through the awkwardness of puberty. IT will make you smile and giggle. I've read this book no less than 200 times...really. My copy is so worn the pages are falling out and the binding is completely shot. Judy Blume knows how to write them!!!
Marta
Mar 22, 2017 Marta rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
This book is amazing. It brought back the time when I was 12 and me and my friends had a secret society, with secret name and membership cards. Our secret society was more centered around Star Wars than boys, however. We talked about sexual enlightening materials, too - with horror, of course. So spot on - I loved it!
Drew (Drew’s Cup of Tea)
2 1/2 stars. This was a cute coming of age tale following eleven-year-old Margaret who moves to Farbrook and joins a new school.

It was fun to read because I could look back at my preteen years and sympathize with Margaret. She made new friends at school, joined a secret club, and tried to fit in with everyone - which sometimes meant walking a quarter mile to school with no socks on and getting blisters because "it wasn't cool" to wear socks. In some ways it read like a preteen bible, and for the
Mindy
Judy Blume was my absolute favorite when I was young. She didn't need a ton of pages to put you right back to that time. Right when everything changes. Ladies of a certain age will never forget this....
quote-we-must-we-must-we-must-increase-our-bust-judy-blume-211877.jpg (850×400)

5 stars for bringing back all the memories!!!

2016 MacHalo Challenge: Re-read a childhood favorite
Alissa Patrick
Blume at her best. It's just as good as I remembered it. I will definitely encourage my daughters to read this one when the onset of puberty happens. Such a funny yet poignant book about growing up and learning to be comfortable in your own skin.
  • The Cat Ate My Gymsuit
  • Logan Likes Mary Anne! (The Baby-Sitters Club, #10)
  • Anastasia Krupnik (Anastasia Krupnik, #1)
  • Fifteen  (First Love, #1)
Judy Blume spent her childhood in Elizabeth, New Jersey, making up stories inside her head. She has spent her adult years in many places doing the same thing, only now she writes her stories down on paper. Adults as well as children will recognize such Blume titles as: Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret; Blubber; Just as Long as We're Together; and the five book series about the irrepressible Fu ...more
More about Judy Blume...