Grass

Grass

3.65 of 5 stars 3.65  ·  rating details  ·  66 ratings  ·  11 reviews

It would have been hard to have missed what was written on the wall. Painted in giant whitewashed letters: 'SHARKEY IS A GRASS'.

I hadn't a clue who Sharkey was, but I knew one thing. 'Sharkey's a dead man,' I said.

Leo knows the value of never grassing and that you never grass on your friends. Everybody, too, knows the gang leaders in town. And you don't grass on them. No

Published November 1st 2010 by Bloomsbury UK (first published August 3rd 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Grass, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Grass

Emma (BelleBooks)
This book follows the story of Leo who has a pretty ordinary life.
He lives at home with his parents and 5 year old brother, goes to school. and has a best friend who he likes to explore abandoned buildings with.
One day Leo witnesses a violent murder and his life is turned completely upside down.
Before he knows it he is working for one of the local gang leaders and going against everything he has ever been told about what is right and what is wrong.

I really loved this book, it is set in and aroun...more
Polly Todd
Apr 02, 2010 Polly Todd rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Polly by: Lancashire Book Award
What a gem! From the outset, Cathy MacPhail paints a glorious picture of what it means to live in gang territory. Sean, the main character, has a realistic mixture of fascination and horror at the world he inhabits. He is an absolute innocent, drawn slowly and almost unbearably seduced into the midst of a situation that sickens him. As a reader, I found myself also drawn into the dreadful dilemmas and sympathetic to Sean's efforts to "do the right thing", yet the cynic within me spotted the dang...more
Fiona
Apr 13, 2010 Fiona rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: boys aged 9-15
Recommended to Fiona by: Lancashire Children's Book Award, Polly Todd
A brilliantly written book. This would really suit teenage boy readers who are a bit more reluctant to read. Clear and simple narrative is nonetheless woven into action so gripping I found myself curled up, staring at the page, willing the worst not to happen! The reader is immediately introduced to the main characters, and the local situation, and without anything to complicate the plot, it ploughs through the story, racing up to the brilliant, and clever, ending.
I was impressed that this book...more
Lorraine Fotheringham
This book had me riveted from start to finish.
The author draws the reader in from the word go. Two young, school friends lives are torn apart by bully mafia style barons. Several housing estates are owned by these thugs, they ruin good law abiding citizens, but it is tolerated as no-one wants to be known as a grass. They would face a severe beating or at worse murdered.
Until one day, one of the friends witnesses a local big man, murders another thug.
Scared to come forward is embroiled into their...more
Sarah Dean
I really tried to like Grass because I normally like books about gang warfare and, granted, it highlighted issues associated with gangs like, for example, the MC - Leo - was being used and the gang leader was so good at manipulating the MC that he actually believed he was doing the right thing but the way the book was executed was sloppy. There was far too much soul-searching in this book for me and it took until the second to last chapter until something seen as mild-action was revealed.
Gras...more
Jenni
A tense and gripping read that really made me think. Interesting to read it as an adult, I think I may well have seen some if it differently if I was reading it as a teen - there's lots of potential here for discussions. So interesting to see the way Armour manipulated Leo, a pretty stark reality of how things must be happening as young teens are drawn into the criminal underworld. Loved the relationship between Leo and his little brother David.
Anne
This book is great! Takes place in Scotland. Leo witnesses a murder committed by one of the gang leaders in town. The leader knows that Leo saw him and 'befriends' Leo. This is a great story of growing up, trust, loyalties to friends and families and making important decisions. This is perfect for a middle school or high school library.
Joshua lukeee bend
really loved the ending of this book, it was very cleverly thought out and I did not see that coming at all! I would recommend this book to everyone as it has a really good point to the story, and isn't too long to read. It can be read in one sitting, or in my case a few hours. I just couldn't put this book down! Great book!!!
Matthew Don
Grass is enjoyable enough, with a great story and a realistic hero, but it's executed sloppily and the characters are less than appealing friends, especially Sean.
Sara
This is a great story on how people can easily get caught up in gang's and crime the only problem was the book is based around the main character being....naive and simply stupid. I can sympathize but a crappy main character does kill a book quickly for me....
Abbey Roberts
Abbey Roberts marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2014
Samantha
Samantha marked it as to-read
May 15, 2014
Isabella Wilson
Isabella Wilson is currently reading it
Apr 23, 2014
Daisy
Daisy added it
Apr 17, 2014
Don
Don marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2014
Joe
Joe marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2014