Start by marking “The Little Match Girl (And Other Stories)” as Want to Read:
The Little Match Girl (And Other Stories)

The Little Match Girl (And Other Stories)

4.08  ·  Rating Details ·  17,223 Ratings  ·  528 Reviews
This version of these classic tales has been designed with your NOOK ereader in mind. The formatting was created and tested on the NOOK to provide the best reading experience available.

This collection was originally published in 1864 as 'The Christmas Gift', a selection of stories that was probably intended as a gift book during the holiday season. The best known story in
Nook, 0 pages
Published December 9th 2010 by Matsuzine Publishing (first published December 1st 1845)

Duane
If there is a more heart wrenching story in all of literature, then you will have to show me, because I don't believe there is.
Carol
First published in 1845.......Yep, 1845, and I'd never even heard of it. Well, take my word for it, this very sad short story of The Little Match Girl will rip your heart right out!
Mohammed  Ali
Nov 17, 2016 Mohammed Ali rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
في ذلك الركن المنسي من العالم..في ذلك الركن البارد و المظلم..تجلس طفلة بائسة و حيدة..تصارع الحياة..بسلاح البراءة..بسلاح الضعف و الهوان..بسلاح الأحلام الصافية النقية . من ذلك الركن تنادي و تناجي العالم كبريت..كبريت..من يشتري مني الكبريت...

قصة " بائعة الكبريت " واحدة من أشهر القصص القصيرة في العالم..فالكل تقريبا قد شاهد هذه القصة على شكل رسوم متحركة أو فلم مقتبس أو حكاية تشبهها و مأخوذة عنها .
Rain ~miss kinky knickers~
I simply cannot bring myself to rate this.
It's one of those bedtime stories from my childhood, that were read to me repeatedly, and that stayed carved in my memory for good.

Only, this particular one is kind of an issue for me.
When you're a kid - three or four years old - you're bound to enjoy the numerous fairy tales, and think about... well, fairies, and princes, and frogs, and villains, and magic, and God knows what else. And it's great. Almost everything is great at that age, but still...

Anyw
Huda Aweys
Every time I read it I can not really prevent myself from crying it's not just a tale for children it is deeper than that and really afford meaning, many novels of famous writers does not afford
كل مرة باقرأها بابكى :( ..، دى موش مجرد حكايه للاطفال ، بجد قصة معبرة و اعمق و اكبر معنى و جملة من روايات لكتير من الادباء العالميين
Mohsin Maqbool
Dec 13, 2016 Mohsin Maqbool rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
HANS Christian Andersen writes beautiful fairy/folk tales. Not all of them have "she/they lived happily ever after" endings. However, they have realistic endings which is what exactly make them all the more beautiful.
"The Little Match Girl" is a tale about a poor little girl trying to sell matches so as to make a living. She is doing so on a freezing winter night. She is without a sweater or a jacket or a woolen coat to keep herself warm.
Not a single person feels sorry for her and buys any of h
Manny
I think I first read it, in English, when I was about seven, but I only just got around to looking at the Danish original. If it doesn't bring tears to your eyes, then your heart is truly of stone.
Mischenko
Dec 10, 2016 Mischenko rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A beautifully written Christmas book for children, yet so sad. It's still one of our Christmas favorites.
Ahmad Sharabiani
Den Lille Pige med Svovlstikkerne=The little match Girl, Hans Christian Andersen
عنوانها: دختر کبریت فروش؛ دخترک کبریت فروش؛
با عنوان: دختر کبریت فروش؛ نویسنده: هانس کریستین اندرسن؛
مترجم: حسین امیری؛ تهران، شقایق، 1376؛ شابک: 9789649487953؛ در 127 ص؛ چاپ هفتم 1392؛
مترجم: علی اتحاد؛ تهران، سپیده، 1380؛ شابک: 9645773318؛ در 12 ص چاپ چهارم 1385؛
مترجم: مژده خسروان؛ تهران، اردیبهشت، 1381؛ در 12 ص؛
مترجم: لیلا خیامی؛ مشهد، ایران جوان، 1384؛ شابک:ایکس - 964899322؛ در 12 ص؛
مترجم: مریم عزیزی؛ گرافیست:
Franco  Santos
Una linda historia. Triste y revuelve sentimientos a pesar de su corta extensión. Si tienen unos minutos libres, este relato es ideal para ocuparlos.
Dem
Dec 20, 2015 Dem rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Beautiful but heartbreaking Christmas tale.
Ahmed  Ejaz
===========
3 STARS (~__~)
===========
I was feeling very pity for the protagonist while reading this. This was one of the saddest short story I have ever read.

*BRIEF OVERVIEW
This is the story of a poor girl who is trying to sell matches at the last day of the year (obviously it is very cold). She has nothing to cover her from cold and her slippers has been lost also. She takes refuge between the space of two houses. As she is feeling very cold so, she lights a match to seek warmth. Every time she
Maryame
Oct 19, 2016 Maryame rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I grew up watching the movie cartoon of this amazing story, and I read the book so many times as a child (in arabic), and today was the first time I read it in English, and holy spirits, I LOVED IT.
it brought back so many beautiful memories. And it managed to break my heart into millions of pieces. that ending always gets me, I don't know if I should feel happy that her suffering is over, or feel sad that she was frozen to death, but oh how much feels do I have right now?
I honestly thought u wa
Sadia Mansoor
Dec 11, 2016 Sadia Mansoor rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
Such a sad, heart - breaking ending... wasn't expecting it :'(
علي الماجد
Feb 24, 2015 علي الماجد rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
من القصص المؤثرة التي تبكي من يقرأها . اختزلت قسوة زوجة الاب و المجتمع و البرودة في جسد هذة الطفلة البريئة

هكذا يجب ان تكتب القصص القصيرة

ايجاز

صور

وصف

و نهاية غير متوقعة
Jean
The Little Match Girl or in a literal translation "The little girl with the matchsticks", is a short story by the Danish author Hans Christian Andersen, which was first published in 1845.

Illustration by Hans Christian Andersen's original illustrator, Vilhelm Pedersen

The story starts on a bitterly cold New Year's Eve, as a poor little girl wanders the streets barefoot, trying to sell matches. She doesn't want to go home without having sold any, for fear her father might beat her. She sits down i
Kandice
*Crosses right hand over heart* Hi! My name is Kandice and I am a Scholastic junkie... You know, those flimsy, newspapery catalogues with all the cool, discounted books in them that teachers send home with their students? Yeeeesssssss! ILLLLLLOOOOOOOOVVVVVVVEEEEEEEEE Scholastic!

I loved Scholastic when I was a kid and recently rekindled my love when I became a mom. I noticed a parent with one at a play centre and attacked her, “Where did you get those!?!?!” She pointed to a huge stack close by,
Starjustin
Dec 10, 2016 Starjustin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A beautiful story when looked at with a positive thought. Loved this book and would highly recommend it for all to take the time to read.
Gözen Durmus
Jun 02, 2016 Gözen Durmus rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Mia Prasetya
Bagi angkatan 80’an seperti saya di mana jaman SD bacaan hanya berkisar donal bebek, komik Nina dan kumpulan dongeng tentunya nama Hans Christian Andersen melekat kuat di ingatan kita. Kisah tragis gadis korek api, cinta putri duyung yang bertepuk sebelah tangan, perjalanan hidup gadis mungil Thumbelina adalah beberapa karyanya yang sangat terkenal dan sudah diterjemahkan dalam berbagai bahasa di dunia.

Kali ini penerbit Atria mengemas 10 kisah H.C. Andersen dalam satu kumpulan dongeng yang diant
Amina - أمينَة.

poor little match girl, it brought me so much memories of my childhood. and i remember i used to cry. it's not only a random story, you can't just read it and not get touched by it.
نرگس
Jul 12, 2015 نرگس rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A proof for this fact that fairy tales are much different with their uncle-Walt's-happily-ever-after versions. They mostly are sad, cruel, unfair.
Ritika Gupta
Children stories cannot be this sad :-|

"and both flew in brightness and in joy so high, so very high, and then above was neither cold, nor hunger, nor anxiety.. they were with God".

Farah Cook
Apr 12, 2017 Farah Cook rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This books will make you cry!!!

H.C. ANDERSEN'S LOVE ADVENTURE gathers the most beautiful, most romantic, but also the most tragic and sad stories about love in all its many forms: between sweethearts, husbands and wives, parents and children.

This book is one of many that's tragic and beautiful at the same time!

Eman
I was firstly introduced to Hans Christian Andersen's The Little Match Girl by some TV cartoon. The story remained in my mind and had its special place over the years. I can't figure out why exactly. It was simply special.

The Little Match Girl is a little girl who sells matches... Duh, the title says it all! Anyway, you get a hint that the girl is extremely poor that she had to sell matches for a living. We get that she has an abusive father who beats her if she came home in some bad business d
Dolly
Dec 23, 2012 Dolly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: childrens, denmark, 2012
This is a heartbreaking story about a little girl who freezes to death on New Year's Eve. I had never read the story before (and didn't preview it first), so we were all a bit surprised when there wasn't a different ending. I think we've been surrounded by candy coated pat endings in stories and on television for far too long!

The fact that she is warmed by the visions she sees and is brought to heaven in the arms of her beloved grandmother is little comfort. The illustrations by Rachel Isadora
Matthew
Ladan
Feb 10, 2017 Ladan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
مصداق بارز کودک آزاری...من چقدر غصه خوردم, چقدر اشک ریختم واسه این کتاب...انصافا مناسب این گروه سنی نیست....
Lisa
This little story is just utterly heartbreaking.

You know how some stories simply get under your skin, and they never really leave you? This definitely was one of them for me. It makes me want to curl up into a ball and bawl my eyes out every time.

A sad, true-to-life gem in a sea of unrealistic happy endings.
Stephan
Nov 10, 2015 Stephan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fairy-tales
Sad, real, appalling; in this fairy tale Andersen’s criticism is aimed at the harshness of the adults towards a little girl who was selling matches in order to survive the harsh winter in Denmark. I shed tears in this heartbreaking and tragic story. Parents should approach this story carefully. Be ready with the handkerchief. (See more on my blog)
The Little Match Girl 3 19 Feb 13, 2014 03:00PM
Alternate Title 4 14 Sep 24, 2013 05:58PM
  • New Poems of Emily Dickinson
  • Thumbelina
  • The Princess and the Pea
  • The Littlest Angel
  • Goldilocks & Three Bears: Bears Should Share!
  • Novels, 1930-1942: Dance Night / Come Back to Sorrento / Turn, Magic Wheel / Angels on Toast / A Time to Be Born
  • The Mojo Collection: The Ultimate Music Companion
  • I Believe in Santa Claus
  • The Nutcracker
  • Hansel and Gretel
  • Hansel and Gretel
  • Brigadoon (Vocal Score)
  • My Life As Author And Editor
  • The Fall of the Athenian Empire
Hans Christian Andersen (often referred to in Scandinavia as H. C. Andersen; April 2, 1805 – August 4, 1875) was a Danish author and poet. Although a prolific writer of plays, travelogues, novels, and poems, Andersen is best remembered for his fairy tales. Andersen's popularity is not limited to children; his stories—called eventyr, or "fairy-tales"—express themes that transcend age and nationalit ...more
More about Hans Christian Andersen...