Start by marking “I, Vampire: The Confessions of a Vampire - His Life, His Loves, His Strangest Desires ...” as Want to Read:

I, Vampire: The Confessions of a Vampire - His Life, His Loves, His Strangest Desires ... (I, Vampire #1)

3.67 of 5 stars 3.67  ·  rating details  ·  1,325 ratings  ·  57 reviews
From yesterday to a hundred years ago, he lives in the world and walks among us. He enjoys the finest things in life, including beautfiul women, well-aged wine, and the finest classical composers. He has no guilt -- he has no need of it. Neither good, nor bad, neither angel nor devil, he is a man, he is a vampire. And this is his story....

From the Paperback edition.
Published December 15th 2010 by Fawcett (first published July 1st 1990)

To ask other readers questions about I, Vampire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I, Vampire

Andrew
This book was completely unexpected for me. I am a HUGE Anne Rice fan and have loved her writing for years. At one point, a family friend recommended to me this book. Initially, I was intriqued because it was a book about vampires.

Romkey is a master at taking something that will challenge your perceptions of things you know and twisting them to his purpose for telling an incredible story that takes its readers on a fantastic journey. In an effort to dispel the convoluted statement I have just m
P. Aaron Potter
One of the worst books I've gone to the trouble of actually finishing...mostly because I couldn't quite believe how wretched it was. Every time you think the plot can't get any more contrived, the protagonist more obnoxious, deeper it goes, like some urban-paranormal train-wreck.

The main character is the second worst Mary-Sue in modern letters. We are to believe this drug-addled, morally vapid, sex-driven liesure-suited bargain-basement lothario keeps running into the Great Minds of history (Moz
Eric
I must admit, when I first started reading this book, that it struck me as a rip-off of Anne Rice's Vampire Chronicles. The protagonist, David Parker, is a new, sensitive, arts-loving vampire, unsure of all his new powers. I immediately thought of Louis.

But, happily, any similarities ended there. In fact, Romkey has written an original vampire tale, to which he has added several sequels.

David Parker is an unhappy lawyer, freshly divorced, terribly lonely, when he meets a beautiful and mysterio
Jon Alette
Michael Romkey var någonting briljant på spåren. Den första halvan av denna vampyrroman var mörk, mystisk, konstnärlig och spännande. Den andra halvan utvecklas till ett stort Harry Potter-äventyr med Star Wars-vibbar där historiska karaktärer travas på varandra i en stereotypisk komplott. I övrigt uttrycker Romkey en konservativ heteronorm där protagonisten uttalar sig negativt om drag show-konceptet samtidigt som han själv lever efter en promiskuös norm som försvaras av att han gör det på ett ...more
John
Aug 29, 2007 John rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of mystery, horror and comedy
Shelves: ivereadthis
I cannot say enough about this book. It's not what one would expect at all. I know I seem to read a lot of vampire novels but this one stands apart from all others in it's surprising characters, people you've actually heard of, and yes, they are vampires. It's so much fun and full of good humor and completely unbelievable but the story is gripping and I have read it more than once.
Brian Dickerson
Easily, one of the worst pieces of tripe I've ever read. It's the only time I've finished a book thinking "how bad can it get". It got pretty bad. Every cliche' you've ever seen in a vampire story was there.
The "surprise" ending felt more like a punchline.
The book's only redeeming quality is that it's thankfully a quick read.
E
Jun 28, 2007 E rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of Lestat, or fans of outright cheese
Shelves: fantasy
Terrible tacky vampire cheese. Dated, circa mid-80s. Overblown and campy. You might not be able to admit to yourself how much you are enjoying it. And wow, is it terrible. In the best possible ways.
Snazzy Bazil
This book received three stars from me because overall I did enjoy it.
The historical figures intertwined into the story was a great treat for me. The words Romkey used to paint scenes in your mind were quite successful for me, they made me feel as though I were there.

My key issue with this book was towards the end during the battle. It seemed almost contrived, as though Romkey had run out of ways to have them fight it out in the end. From the buildup through the book I expected much, much more,
I laugh every time I think about this book. Ridiculous.
ein Leichter
Apr 18, 2007 ein Leichter rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: No one
Shelves: never-finished
This was just too silly for me.
Emily
We've all been there. Staring up at the top of the bookshelf, reading the mysterious titles with mounting curiosity, and finally constructing makeshift ladders in order to reach the books our parents didn't want us to notice. For me, I, Vampire was one of those books. I think I read it for the first time in sixth grade. I thought I was such a badass.
(side note: this book is extremely graphic, and I'm surprised I'm not permanently scarred by the experience of reading it).
It's an enjoyable read,
Nancy Oakes
Set in 1989, David Parker is a frustrated musician whose wealthy family wanted him to become an attorney. He marries the boss's daughter and lives to regret it. While he's working, she's having fun with his office mate. He is lonely, addicted to cocaine & hits bottom. Soon after he is fired from his job, divorced, and meets up with a gorgeous Russian woman named Tatiana. He falls for her almost immediately; unbeknownst to him, she is a vampire. Eventually he decides he can't live without her ...more
Ladiibbug
Nov 15, 2008 Ladiibbug rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Vampires in Historical Fiction
Very enjoyable, dense read - meaning lots of details and plot packed into each paragraph.

"I, Vampire" is the journey of an unhappy, highly successful attorney whose life is in a tailspin. Once he's turned into a vampire, not only must he adjust to life as a vampire, he finds himself thrown into a mysterious world that takes him from Chicago to Paris to Russia.

The newly turned vampire struggles with all kinds of philosophical questions -- Am I good? Am I evil? ...

In this fictional book, the vampi
Keelynn Hardy
I think that the writing itself is actually pretty good, but the main character is hard to like. He's a bit like a Gary Stu in a sense, in that everything seems to happen without him really taking much action. When he does take action, well. . .it seems to be in the interest of using his mental powers to increase his chances with women. His character just doesn't even out very well in my opinion.
Betsy
I've always loved the idea of vampires in history, and historical figures as vampires, so I really liked this. I love the inclusion of Russian history (always a plus for me), and Victorian Britain (yeah...gotten into that lately. Thank you, Sherlock Holmes!).

Anyway, I haven't read a vampire book in a while, and this one was really good, I thought. Hard to get though...had to find it in a secondhand book shop. Hopefully the sequels will be easier to find. Only problem I had was the dating...the w
Jerry
This is an interesting novel with good points and bad. The story is mostly narrated by journal entries and other documents rather than by a narrator or the protagonists stream of consciousness. I find his living vampire theory to be well thought out and plausible without requiring "magic" or some other supernatural force. Unfortunately Romkey's ideas are better than his writing. I really wanted to like this novel more than I did.

If you are looking for a Vampire Romance novel, this isn't one (eve
Jo
A vampire tale in the style of Anne Rice. David Parker, a disillusioned lawyer on the verge of suicide is saved by a Russian princess who turns him into a vampire. The novel is set out as his journal showing how he comes to terms with his vampire state, his dealings with other vampires and the human world. It's an old book so, as mentioned at the start, the vampires are reminiscent of Rice's Vampire Chronicles before the world's view of the undead was changed by Buffy and True Blood. It's sweepi ...more
Angela
I have to admit it's been several years since I read this book, but it's one of the few (relatively speaking) vampire novels that survived a mass purge a few years ago, so I must have really liked it. Here's the first paragraph or so, slightly edited:

"Women are my weakness. Or to be more accurate, I should say they are my greatest weakness, for I have many. Travel. Books. Classical music. Art. Excellent wine. And, formerly, cocaine...."

Now, how can you NOT like a book that starts out like that?
Mariah
I liked this book, but in a way it feels dated. Or perhaps it's just my macabre mind. I kept expecting the good guys to end up being bad guys and vice versa. Not sure why considering the historical figures involved, but I did. I'm very glad I read it. I think it should be more popular and more people who are into vampires should read this book. I think it's one I'll develop a keen appreciation for as I think about it more.
Chere
I think I would have better appreciated this novel had I read it around the time I bought my copy (12 years ago!), when I was at the height of my vampire obsession. Nevertheless, it was nice to read a different take on the vampire lore, and to follow the initiation of this modern vampire into his new life. The story is also filled with interesting vampire characters such as Mozart, Jack the Ripper and the Borgias.
Matthew Kelley
I'm not usually into books about vampires but this series is an exception. It takes an interesting look at vampire lore by introducing historical figures into the mix. If used by a less talented writer, this could easily written off as a marketing gimmick - however, Romkey excels at telling a gripping tale of love and loss well before the time when sparkling vampires were the accepted form of storytelling.
Gail
This amazingly good read is why my addiction to vampires begun. I love the idea of historical figures being vampires. The story is a wonderful blend of romance, horror, science fiction, fantasy, and a touch of history, that I would recommend to any vampire fan. David Parker is an immortal, caught in the classic battle between good and evil, using his love of the arts and poetry to keep him moving forward.
Gwen
David Parker states, "women are my weakness." I, Vampire, is a journal of how Parker became a vampire and the obstacles he must defeat to live and find his love. Parker experiences how his actions as a mortal and vampire produce negative and postive consequences. I enjoyed the inclusion of history woven throughout the story.
Grace Jensen
Jul 04, 2011 Grace Jensen rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anne Rice fans
I enjoyed this, especially the more current timeline. Plus, the author gets points for making a certain person vampire. ^_^
This doesn't really differ from Anne Rice much, in the respect of vampires as dead people with feelings. It was a good read, though I don't know if I will read it again.
Kim
This book started really slow....I had a tough time getting into it, which is probably why I've had it for so long(a year or so). Finally about 1/3 the way thru it picked up and now I'm looking forward to the ending. I'm almost there. I'm still not sure I'll go on with the series.
Naja
A typical "Woe is he who is beautiful and lives forever." story, that is horribly cliche in the whole vampire genre... but Michael Romkey takes the story and meshes it with familiar tidbits from history to make it something that is an enjoyable and quick read.
Tiffany O'Brien
Wow! The only book in history that ever made me look over my shoulder with the phrase (don't remember the exact quote but it was something like) "i could be silently coming up behind you now, and you'd never know..." And my back was to a wall at the time!
devil doll
in my high school vampire stage, i read a bunch of vampire books, and i must say this is by far the best ive ever read. i actually read it a few times. i could not put it down and i actually found myself really liking the villain vampire..
Thomas
Book started off ok, picked up a small bit after 50 pages, had to force myself after 100 pages to finish it. Wasn't bad just want my cup of tea, the ending was pretty good though, but not enough to make me wanna recommend it or read it again.
AA
I read this forever ago and can't remember a darn thing about it other than that I see it staring at me from the bookshelves from time to time. If it was that forgettable, then I must have enjoyed it but not thought much about it one way or another.
  • Mina
  • The Penguin Book of Vampire Stories
  • Children of the Vampire (The Diaries of the Family Dracul, #2)
  • Red Death (Jonathan Barrett, Gentleman Vampire, #1)
  • Dracula the Undead
  • Shattered Glass (Austra Family, #1)
  • The Vampire Tapestry
  • Vampire Junction
  • Of Saints and Shadows (Shadow Saga #1)
  • Kiss of the Vampire (Creed, #1)
  • Deliver Us from Evil
  • Hotel Transylvania (Saint-Germain, #1)
  • The Vampire Book
  • Sunglasses After Dark (Sonja Blue, #1)
  • The Hunger (Hunger, #1)
  • Keeper of the King (Ethical Vampires #1)
  • The Book of Common Dread: A Novel of the Infernal (Vincent DeVilbiss, #1)
  • Kadaverdoktoren (Madeleine Karno, #1)
The Vampire Papers The Vampire Princess The Vampire Virus The Vampire's  Violin The London Vampire Panic