Spectacular Happiness: A Novel

Spectacular Happiness: A Novel

3.53 of 5 stars 3.53  ·  rating details  ·  64 ratings  ·  8 reviews
In his bestselling Listening to Prozac, Peter Kramer asked how much happiness we have a right to expect, and how quickly we should demand it. In Should You Leave? he questioned whether trading up has replaced loyalty in intimate relationships. Critics have praised his intellect and writing, comparing him to Roth and Updike, and have anticipated his turn to fiction.
Now Kr...more
Published January 27th 2002 by Scribner (first published July 17th 2001)

Stacy
Got through 100 pages of this book and decided there are too many other books I want to be reading. Too dry for fiction, not an interesting enough topic to spend non-fiction time on.
Nuri Ripley
I like other, non-fictional books of Kramer's as well, but that had not made me expect good fiction-writing from him, and I approached the novel skeptically at first, but it didn't take long before I was interested. The narrative is conventional and steers away from experimentation, the language is sparse yet adequately smart, and (thankfully), Kramer does not attempt to isolate himself from his authorly self when writing; psychotherapy-inspired observations, recalling moments of "Should You Le...more
Abigail
This is a god first novel of a non-fiction writer. The discussions of demonstration and spectacle were interesting, though at times the political tone fell flat.

As a card-carrying feminist, I must add that this ultra-lefty guy was pretty damn condescending towards the women characters. Oh, and he also slept with each one of them.

But the book was good overall.
Megan
Kept my interest enough that I finished, but overall left me disappointed. Reads too much like the attempt at a novel by an academic that it is - too much explication of ideas and name-dropping, not enough showing of ideas through other means.
Malbadeen
I don't remember much about this book except thinking wow, this is unbelievable (as in it's not believable at all, not as in those fireworks are unbelievably great) and that he shouldn't have ventured to fiction yet (or maybe ever)?
Kara
A good story with a pretentious and macho New England narrator. Enjoyable, but doesn't give the pure pleasure of an Ozeki or Hiassen.
This book gives great insight into anarchism in its most sincere form.
Joe
Borrowed from Karen.
ecoterrorism with an absurdist ending.
Marc Kohlman
Marc Kohlman is currently reading it
Apr 14, 2014
Alissa
Alissa added it
Apr 05, 2014
Steve Woodson
Steve Woodson marked it as to-read
Jan 31, 2014
Jo
Jo marked it as to-read
Jan 06, 2014
Laura marked it as to-read
Dec 04, 2013
Keri
Keri marked it as to-read
Nov 18, 2013
Josh
Josh marked it as to-read
Nov 08, 2013
Vanessa
Vanessa marked it as to-read
Oct 11, 2013
Shandelirious
Shandelirious marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2013
Mich
Mich marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Listening to Prozac Against Depression Should You Leave?: A Psychiatrist Explores Intimacy and Autonomy--and the Nature of Advice Freud: Inventor of the Modern Mind Moments of Engagement: Intimate Psychotherapy in a Technological Age