Natural Health after Birth: The Complete Guide to Postpartum Wellness

Natural Health after Birth: The Complete Guide to Postpartum Wellness

4.19 of 5 stars 4.19  ·  rating details  ·  89 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Provides essential advice for adjusting to the many challenges facing women during the first year after giving birth.

• Offers practical tips for finding balance between being fully immersed in the beautiful but demanding path of motherhood and maintaining a sense of self.

• Provides helpful herbal tips and recipes and includes gentle yoga exercises.

•...more
Published January 1st 2002 by Healing Arts Press

To ask other readers questions about Natural Health after Birth, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Natural Health after Birth

Carissa
I would have liked to have sat and read this book from cover to cover, but I am pretty tired of reading baby books in general so I skimmed it.
It includes references to women in other cultures and how they handle the postpartum period, which I found very interesting. There are several recipes for herbal baths, supplements, rubs, ointments and nutritious dishes. I will copying some of these recipes into my own repertoire.

Notes:
"mother roasting" goes beyond keeping the ambient temperature warm... i...more
treva
Be prepared to spend 200+ pages being told that you will feel abandoned, incompetent, and unconfident for a minimum 8 months. As a brand new first-time mom, is this REALLY what she thinks I need to hear? Believe me, I am aware that this will be a lot of work, for the rest of my life, and that there will be many times, as there are already, when I don't feel like I have the slightest clue what I'm doing. But perhaps focusing on those mindsets is not exactly the most effective way to encourage me....more
Valerie
thought this would be helpful, even though I'm on baby #5, but really, the first couple chapters talk about how women in our culture will be abandoned and feel incompetent. After that, most of the info was a big "DUH" to me. Might be helpful for a 1st time mom, though. The only parts I found remotely useful were the herbal recipes... One part kinda grossed me out though- it said if your breasts are engorged with milk and baby can't latch on, let your partner suckle at your breasts as long as he...more
Amanda
This would be more useful and helpful if I were already more versed in natural health. As I am, it was kind of intimidating. It's a good reference, though I don't know if I would buy it. Again, if I were more familiar with using herbs, etc., already, I might feel more comfortable. Very interesting info re: breastfeeding, and I have to admit that I wish I had saved my placenta to try powdering it. Yes, some might say that is gross. Oh well.
Angeline
Beautifully written. Everyone should read this - whether you are becoming a mother for the 1st/2nd/3rd time or have someone around you who is becoming a mother. Aviva gently writes about mom, new baby and the post-partum period which is often forgotten or rushed in our culture. I only wish I had read this before I had Oli! This will definitely come in handy for the next time. She also has great herbal suggestions - from teas to baths.
Stephanie
This book was so crammed with information, it was like she was trying to say everything and ended up saying nothing at all.
Very unlike her Natural Pregnancy Book in flow. I can see how this would be hard for a new mother to sort through for the bits she needs, although there is value in it for someone willing to take the time to hunt for it.
Becky
Highly recommended for moms to be. Practical advice and recommendations for preparing for motherhood and those seemingly impossible days and weeks postpartum. Better to overly prepare emotionally than feel stuck in a breakdown.
Shelly
Loved it. Aviva Jill Romm really brings home the essential point of the importance of pamering a recovering postpartum mother. Great for any expectant mom, or friend or family of an expectant mom.
Melissa Matthewson
Every new mother should have this book on hand for right after the birth of her baby. It helped me through some really down days after my son was born.
Amy
This should be essential reading for every new mom-to-be and those who will be her support system as a new mom!
Anne
Anne marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2014
Rebecca
Rebecca marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2014
Laura marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2014
Kelsey
Kelsey marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2014
Danie Newcomb
Danie Newcomb marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2014
Emily
Emily added it
Jul 13, 2014
Andrea Bartel
Andrea Bartel marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2014
Nicole
Nicole marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2014
Stacey Novak
Stacey Novak marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2014
Ashley Cassidy
Ashley Cassidy marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2014
Lovelylady1994
Lovelylady1994 marked it as to-read
May 29, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
The Natural Pregnancy Book: Herbs, Nutrition, and Other Holistic Choices Vaccinations: A Thoughtful Parent's Guide: How to Make Safe, Sensible Decisions about the Risks, Benefits, and Alternatives Naturally Healthy Babies and Children: A Commonsense Guide to Herbal Remedies, Nutrition, and Health Botanical Medicine for Women's Health Pocket Guide to Midwifery Care