Elephantmen Volume 1: Wounded Animals

Elephantmen Volume 1: Wounded Animals (Elephantmen #1)

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  475 ratings  ·  51 reviews
The sold-out first volume of Elephantmen is back in print - and now includes the sold-out ZERO issue with art by Ladron, as well as an all-new sketchbook section, and the English & Media Studies backmatter from the single issues. Collects Elephantmen #0-7.
Paperback, Revised Edition, 312 pages
Published December 7th 2010 by Image Comics (first published August 14th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Elephantmen Volume 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Elephantmen Volume 1

Bryan
Definitely shows promise. I have the first three TPBs of Elephantmen and while this is definitely good stuff, it's pretty disjointed. From what I understand this collects issues #0 to #7 of a series that didn't start out to be a series, so a bit of wandering is to be expected.

A lot of it is flashbacks and short story style writing, almost like vignettes. It really feels more like the building blocks of a universe, rather than a coherent story at this point.

However, that being said, there are a f...more
Fiberguy
I've been hovering around Elephantmen for a while. It was recommended to me by a clerk in a comic bookstore in Boston two years ago, but the first TPB wasn't available and, to be honest, the premise seemed a little too much on the silly side.

I stumbled upon it again in Dublin a couple of weeks back and decided to give it a shot anyway. I'm glad I did.

Elephantmen is set in a cyberpunk-ish universe in which a mad genius bio-engineered human-animal hydrids and trained them as war machines. Those t...more
Jessica
Appeal Characteristics: Art, GIANT ELEPHANT NAMED EBONY, world-building, PTS, soldiers

Another great world building comic. I was afraid this comic was going to be "I AM MALE!" Surprisingly, it was all about the characters. The fact that I saw Wreck-it Ralph, and Ebony reminded me of him, and Hannah, was parallel to Ralph's Sugar Rush friend...this story was just warm and endearing. This comic (which the author mentions) is a tribute to the 60/70s media of everything "science-fiction." I really en...more
Matej
Elephantmen Vol 1. is an interesting book about the future in which the line between humans and animals is as blurry as it can be.
The story is really interesting, and has a lot of heart even though it starts as one shots that are only connected by the same world they inhabit. By the end the stories start to show how connected they actually are, and leave you wanting more.
The art is really good, and the art of the pirate story alone is great enough to forget a rare panel or two that looks a bit r...more
Elise
I got into this series because I spotted volume three with a GIANT HIPPO MAN on the cover. Naturally I bought it and had to find volumes 1 & 2. Volume 1, aside from human-animal hybrids, doesn't exactly blaze new turf: all the animal hybrids are big tough breeds like crocs, hippos, elephants, hyenas, etc. and all are male while all the women are big boobed and devoted. I will keep reading (maybe it was a slow start) but I'm mostly in it for the hippos.
Laurel
I'm forever amazed at how much depth of story a graphic novel can tell, with so few words and only limited imagery. The effect is astounding! I'm going to pick up the next few omnibuses quite soon, as the story is only beginning to unfold, but I'm moved by the animosity both felt by the Elephantmen and the hate some humans focus on them. It has the beginnings of a truly epic story!

To be continued...
Mel
I'd not heard of Elephantmen before but I came across this on the sale rack at Waterstones and was intrigued. I just LOVED the artwork and the look and feel of the pictures. Pulp and Science fiction are two of my favourite things so seeing the film noir clothing of Fedoras on giant hippos and elephants looked great. This edition was particularly lovely as it had really thick high quality paper pages. Normally I find short vignette story telling frustrating but here it worked well. I liked how th...more
Justyn Rampa
Even thought I've finished reading this gorgeous thick volume reprint of Elephantmen, it is hard for me to articulate exactly how it made me feel.

On one hand, the concept and commitment to the concept is incredibly audacious! The images of these large anthropomorphic animals is hypnotizing and I can't seem to get them out of my head. The actual story itself is engaging enough although all the reviews I've read suggest this first volume is essentially a warm-up to what is to come.

The only turn-...more
Logan
First impressions: I wasn't sure what to expect with this book. I knew nothing about it when I ordered it other than that Lia Habel said the series is so good it has left her sobbing, and that it was about, well, Elephantmen. I love nothing better than a glowing recommendation, so I decided to spring for it despite my limited knowledge of the subject matter.

Lasting impressions: I think that in the future, Lia Habel should be in charge of determining all of my reading material. She has never fail...more
Mar 19, 2011 Andy rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: comics
This really just goes to show that some people (and I'm not naming names) are a sucker for advertising and packaging. This is a reprint of a book I've already read and indeed own. The thing is they've standardised it and reprinted it in the same format as the other two collections (following this one) and that just cries out to my OCD tendencies and love of order. So was it worth buying again?

Well, the ongoing format of their collections as I've previously said are gorgeous. Heavy paper, thick,...more
Erik
For several years now I’ve been scratching my head wondering just what comic book my brother’s best buddy Justin Norman draws. And, oddly, it wasn’t until I saw him recently at the 2008 San Diego Comic-Con when I ran into him at his booth that I finally found out what he’s been whittling away at.

Already several years into this gig, Justin – now going by the mysterious moniker “Moritat”, which explains why I’ve been in the dark all this time – pencils, inks, and even colors the Elephantmen series...more
David Pain
This is good. It has fun, wonder AND heart and draws on varying styles of storytelling to depict a future world where huge, genetically-modified human/animal hybrids live among regular humes after their initial purpose is done.

I want to give it a four-star rating but there are a couple of reasons why I'm saving more stars for a later volume.

The artwork is striking but a couple of the issues' have some wobbly line work, which is somewhat odd given the excellent design and sumptuous colouring. On...more
Emily
So, this comic has a human/elephant hybrid on the front, pulpy science-fiction art on the back, and its basic premise is that there are these animal/human hybrids called Elephantmen living alongside average humans, and the main Elephantman we follow - Ebony - is a detective. Seems like maybe it will be a bit of a silly romp, right? WRONG.

The story of the Elephantmen is tragic - genetically engineered as warriors, brainwashed, women used as carriers and thrown away - and their current reality is...more
Jacobi
This was enjoyable. Definitely not as great as the buzz I've seen online, but still a decent enough read.

There were some things this book was trying to say about classism and racism that were a little too obvious for my tastes, but those weren't the only themes the book explores, so there is a lot of stuff to latch onto in Elephantmen.

However, I just don't buy that normal women, even in the year 2661 (or whenever) would want to shack up with anthropomorphic Elephants and Rhinos. Sorry. Not even...more
Ryan
One of the problems with war is that it requires warriors: you have to take people and turn them into weapons, which creates the problem of what to do with those weapons after the war is over. A gun can go on a rack, a sword can be mounted on a wall - but what to do with the warriors, and how to re-integrate them into regular society?

Starkings et al address this question by literally creating warriors - the oddly-named Elephantmen, warriors created by creating genetic amalgams of humans and diff...more
Joshum Harpy
Really uneven in tone, random in plot, nearly incoherent, but totally loveable. The premise carries a lot of weight, the look of the book is a bit hit or miss, but when it hits it's a grand slam. The atmosphere is what keeps hooking me...moody as hell with talking animals in a sci-fi noir landscape. Awesome. I'm really hoping that once I get further into this book it's problems will clear up because I wanna love it soooo bad.
Alex

a race of animal/human hybrids (bred for war, known collectively and perjoratively as "elephantmen") attempts to coexist with man in your basic perpetually-rainy dystopian blade runner future-America. talk about modern guilt: it's all about our society's weird, exploitive relationship with animals, and how it would be different if they could walk and talk and get jobs and crush us with their giant rhino hands. and it works as a fable about human soldiers, and the general public's weird exploitiv...more
Tyler
Finally got to read this and, admittedly, I'm intrigued. The art was hit or miss, but progressively got better and the writing was interesting. Will definitely have to follow up eventually.
Gayle Francis Moffet
This is not my comic. There's a lot of interesting pieces in it, but I can't shake off my discomfort and visceral reaction to a plot point that requires women to be kidnapped, raped, and forcibly impregnated to show you the evil scientist--who is unquestionably evil before this--is like, really evil, you guys.

It's a good idea wrapped in an interesting world, but I won't be reading farther. I gave it a full arc, and it gave me a female-based plot device I thought we were finally leaving behind a...more
Andy
I picked this up after hearing good things on a few blogs I read and I have to say I wasn't disappointed. Billed as 'pulp science fiction' it's set in the world of Hip Flask and Mystery City dealing with the Elephant Men. Dark and surprisingly touching the first volume is light on story but does serve as an introduction to the world. I particularly liked the final story of Captain Stoneheart and the Truth Fairy.

All that aside the artwork is stunning and beautifully rendered. The world is alive a...more
Georgina
So compelling, I read it in one sitting. The setting is very cool and bleak--very noir in style with well-written characters.
Nick
Weak story, nice art on the cover, ugly and repetitive art inside, boring, cliché, disappointing.
Stephen
I walked away feeling that I had somehow missed something. Instead of perfecting Star Wars satellite weapons in space or energy blasters on your hip, in this future they will make Elephant/human hybids...because taking the time to hatch them, raise them and train them and feed them makes so much more sense to somebody than building a better gun.

The art was phenomenal when new, up there with Heavy Metal in its prime, but it was also clearly the impetus for the storyline. Somebody drew a cool ani...more
Mike Montesa
I discovered this by chance about a month ago, and it looked so intriguing I had to pick it up. It's about these genetically created human-animal hybrids known as "Elephantmen" (though they are not all elephants - hippos, rhinos, alligators, are also used). They were created by the requisite evil genius for use as super soldiers, and then discarded back into society. The story is sort of a pulp detective narrative with flashbacks to the war for each of the characters. The story is excellent, the...more
R.John
The premise is pretty stupid or great, depending on one's mood. The artwork is amazing tho which makes up for the morose tone and only glimmers of action. Most of the pages are consumed with gigantic incubators, over-sized zoo animals in human clothing, and dark dialogue. About half way, I almost stopped because I felt like I might be reading a bad riff on Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. Can I recommend it? Probably not unless you want YOUR wife to laugh at you, too, while you try and read it in b...more
Pturingan
Nice introduction to the main characters and the world. I guess we're just getting warmed up here. Another series to follow.

By the way, I don't normally notice these things but on this book one can't help but do so- 1) the book is printed on probably the highest quality paper I've ever seen in a comic book, and 2) the book is just very beautifully designed and a treat to look at and hold.
Andy
At first I wasn't sold on this mixture of noir, sf, pulp and fairy tale, but the art is stellar and the story huge. This is an enormous trade paperback that only costs $19.99 (Image could easily have charged $35). As interesting as it is, this seems only the tip of the iceberg, setting the stage for an enormous saga. If the stories continue at this level, I'm in for the long haul.
Dan Messer
Wow... these ain't cute furry little cretures. Bred for war, abandoned in peace, the human/animal hybrids known as Elephantmen are creatures who did not as to be created being forced to live in a world that fears them. Basically, what you have here is The Island of Dr. Moreau meets military fiction. It's a treat, with some fantastic art and wonderful writing.
Craig
Love the art and the idea behind the series, but I'd like to see a bit more sequential storytelling. This volume is filled with lots of little vignettes that don't really add up to much of a coherent whole. I'll certainly give another volume a try, but hope others are more substantial.
  • Goatsucker (Proof, #1)
  • Atomic Robo and the Fightin' Scientists of Tesladyne (Atomic Robo, #1)
  • Fear Agent, Volume 1: Re-Ignition
  • Lobster Johnson, Vol. 1: The Iron Prometheus (Lobster Johnson, #1)
  • A Distant Soil, Vol. 1: The Gathering
  • Batman/Huntress: Cry for Blood
  • Morning Glories, Vol. 3: P.E.
  • Camelot 3000
  • The Nobody
  • Remission (Prophet, #1)
  • Scud: The Disposable Assassin - The Whole Shebang!
  • Chew, Vol. 5: Major League