Start by marking “Elephantmen Volume 1: Wounded Animals” as Want to Read:
Elephantmen Volume 1: Wounded Animals

Elephantmen Volume 1: Wounded Animals (Elephantmen #1)

The sold-out first volume of Elephantmen is back in print - and now includes the sold-out ZERO issue with art by Ladron, as well as an all-new sketchbook section, and the English & Media Studies backmatter from the single issues. Collects Elephantmen #0-7.
Paperback, Revised Edition, 312 pages
Published December 7th 2010 by Image Comics (first published August 14th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Elephantmen Volume 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Elephantmen Volume 1

Jesse A
Sep 08, 2015 Jesse A rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Im not 100% sure what to make of this one. The art was fantastic, the story interesting, to say the least. Seemed a bit disjointed but shows significant promise.
Jan 16, 2012 Bryan rated it liked it
Definitely shows promise. I have the first three TPBs of Elephantmen and while this is definitely good stuff, it's pretty disjointed. From what I understand this collects issues #0 to #7 of a series that didn't start out to be a series, so a bit of wandering is to be expected.

A lot of it is flashbacks and short story style writing, almost like vignettes. It really feels more like the building blocks of a universe, rather than a coherent story at this point.

However, that being said, there are a f
Appeal Characteristics: Art, GIANT ELEPHANT NAMED EBONY, world-building, PTS, soldiers

Another great world building comic. I was afraid this comic was going to be "I AM MALE!" Surprisingly, it was all about the characters. The fact that I saw Wreck-it Ralph, and Ebony reminded me of him, and Hannah, was parallel to Ralph's Sugar Rush friend...this story was just warm and endearing. This comic (which the author mentions) is a tribute to the 60/70s media of everything "science-fiction." I really en
Jul 22, 2014 Matej rated it really liked it
Elephantmen Vol 1. is an interesting book about the future in which the line between humans and animals is as blurry as it can be.
The story is really interesting, and has a lot of heart even though it starts as one shots that are only connected by the same world they inhabit. By the end the stories start to show how connected they actually are, and leave you wanting more.
The art is really good, and the art of the pirate story alone is great enough to forget a rare panel or two that looks a bit r
The art is gorgeous and I like the concept a lot. ...But I've read the seven issues collected here and I only kind of understand what's actually happening plot-wise, and the women are all dressed like strippers for no reason.

I'll give this series a little more of my time, in hopes it improves.
May 24, 2011 Elise rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novel
I got into this series because I spotted volume three with a GIANT HIPPO MAN on the cover. Naturally I bought it and had to find volumes 1 & 2. Volume 1, aside from human-animal hybrids, doesn't exactly blaze new turf: all the animal hybrids are big tough breeds like crocs, hippos, elephants, hyenas, etc. and all are male while all the women are big boobed and devoted. I will keep reading (maybe it was a slow start) but I'm mostly in it for the hippos.
Fantasy Literature
Hip Flask, one of the main characters of Elephantmen, has been around for over a decade now, and the first images I saw did not immediately appeal to me. However, after reading the first issue, I realized this reaction is essential to the entire point of the series, because we are led to see how these Elephantmen, who have been terribly mistreated, continue to be discriminated against by humans. So, if you also are put off by the appearance of a humanoid hippopotamus dressed in a trench coat, th ...more
Aug 13, 2012 Laurel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012
I'm forever amazed at how much depth of story a graphic novel can tell, with so few words and only limited imagery. The effect is astounding! I'm going to pick up the next few omnibuses quite soon, as the story is only beginning to unfold, but I'm moved by the animosity both felt by the Elephantmen and the hate some humans focus on them. It has the beginnings of a truly epic story!

To be continued...
Jun 01, 2015 Jacob rated it really liked it
This is a five star story with five star art. The reason this is a four star book is because, physically, it is poorly made. The binding is pretty bad. I've read it once and I'm kind of scared the middle pages are going to fall out. So yes, this is a really, really good book to get four stars under that situation.

The world is just plain fun- a mad scientist created an army of human-animal hybrids. After the war, the surviving Elephantmen, as they're called, are semi-integrated into society.

May 03, 2014 Mel rated it really liked it
I'd not heard of Elephantmen before but I came across this on the sale rack at Waterstones and was intrigued. I just LOVED the artwork and the look and feel of the pictures. Pulp and Science fiction are two of my favourite things so seeing the film noir clothing of Fedoras on giant hippos and elephants looked great. This edition was particularly lovely as it had really thick high quality paper pages. Normally I find short vignette story telling frustrating but here it worked well. I liked how th ...more
Jan 31, 2016 Erika rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novel
This is a dark and painful but beautiful story. The art is just stunning and plays a huge part in creating the emotions and reactions to this story as you find yourself believing that elephants, rhinoceroses, crocodiles and giraffes can be merged with humans and look like they are possible.
The story is deep and dark and show humanity at it's worst and sometimes at it's best, but mostly worst. I really found myself feeling for the Elephantmen featured in this first book, even the clear villain a
Justyn Rampa
Even thought I've finished reading this gorgeous thick volume reprint of Elephantmen, it is hard for me to articulate exactly how it made me feel.

On one hand, the concept and commitment to the concept is incredibly audacious! The images of these large anthropomorphic animals is hypnotizing and I can't seem to get them out of my head. The actual story itself is engaging enough although all the reviews I've read suggest this first volume is essentially a warm-up to what is to come.

The only turn-
Aug 15, 2011 Logan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
First impressions: I wasn't sure what to expect with this book. I knew nothing about it when I ordered it other than that Lia Habel said the series is so good it has left her sobbing, and that it was about, well, Elephantmen. I love nothing better than a glowing recommendation, so I decided to spring for it despite my limited knowledge of the subject matter.

Lasting impressions: I think that in the future, Lia Habel should be in charge of determining all of my reading material. She has never fail
Mar 19, 2011 Andy rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
This really just goes to show that some people (and I'm not naming names) are a sucker for advertising and packaging. This is a reprint of a book I've already read and indeed own. The thing is they've standardised it and reprinted it in the same format as the other two collections (following this one) and that just cries out to my OCD tendencies and love of order. So was it worth buying again?

Well, the ongoing format of their collections as I've previously said are gorgeous. Heavy paper, thick,
Jul 31, 2008 Erik rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
For several years now I’ve been scratching my head wondering just what comic book my brother’s best buddy Justin Norman draws. And, oddly, it wasn’t until I saw him recently at the 2008 San Diego Comic-Con when I ran into him at his booth that I finally found out what he’s been whittling away at.

Already several years into this gig, Justin – now going by the mysterious moniker “Moritat”, which explains why I’ve been in the dark all this time – pencils, inks, and even colors the Elephantmen series
David Pain
Dec 31, 2013 David Pain rated it liked it
This is good. It has fun, wonder AND heart and draws on varying styles of storytelling to depict a future world where huge, genetically-modified human/animal hybrids live among regular humes after their initial purpose is done.

I want to give it a four-star rating but there are a couple of reasons why I'm saving more stars for a later volume.

The artwork is striking but a couple of the issues' have some wobbly line work, which is somewhat odd given the excellent design and sumptuous colouring. On
So, this comic has a human/elephant hybrid on the front, pulpy science-fiction art on the back, and its basic premise is that there are these animal/human hybrids called Elephantmen living alongside average humans, and the main Elephantman we follow - Ebony - is a detective. Seems like maybe it will be a bit of a silly romp, right? WRONG.

The story of the Elephantmen is tragic - genetically engineered as warriors, brainwashed, women used as carriers and thrown away - and their current reality is
Jan 31, 2015 Jacobi rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: trades-read
This was enjoyable. Definitely not as great as the buzz I've seen online, but still a decent enough read.

There were some things this book was trying to say about classism and racism that were a little too obvious for my tastes, but those weren't the only themes the book explores, so there is a lot of stuff to latch onto in Elephantmen.

However, I just don't buy that normal women, even in the year 2661 (or whenever) would want to shack up with anthropomorphic Elephants and Rhinos. Sorry. Not even
Jul 06, 2010 Ryan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of the problems with war is that it requires warriors: you have to take people and turn them into weapons, which creates the problem of what to do with those weapons after the war is over. A gun can go on a rack, a sword can be mounted on a wall - but what to do with the warriors, and how to re-integrate them into regular society?

Starkings et al address this question by literally creating warriors - the oddly-named Elephantmen, warriors created by creating genetic amalgams of humans and diff
It's a couple hundred years in the future and a scientist has made human/animal hybrids. Originally engineered for the art of war, we're now seeing the aftermath and where each of their lives has taken them.

This one comes off as an anthology of sorts, showcasing an array of characters with a unifying theme here and there.

Clever stories and absolutely gorgeous art from many talented creators make this one worth a look.
Patrick Day
Great art mixed with so-so storytelling makes for a mixed bag. Despite a great premise (genetically engineered animal people bred to be warriors and then left to integrate themselves into society), the story moves awfully slow in these first seven issues. However, the pirate fable in the final issue, guest written by Joe Kelly is a highlight.
Joshum Harpy
Jan 23, 2014 Joshum Harpy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
Really uneven in tone, random in plot, nearly incoherent, but totally loveable. The premise carries a lot of weight, the look of the book is a bit hit or miss, but when it hits it's a grand slam. The atmosphere is what keeps hooking me...moody as hell with talking animals in a sci-fi noir landscape. Awesome. I'm really hoping that once I get further into this book it's problems will clear up because I wanna love it soooo bad.
Jul 14, 2008 Alex rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

a race of animal/human hybrids (bred for war, known collectively and perjoratively as "elephantmen") attempts to coexist with man in your basic perpetually-rainy dystopian blade runner future-America. talk about modern guilt: it's all about our society's weird, exploitive relationship with animals, and how it would be different if they could walk and talk and get jobs and crush us with their giant rhino hands. and it works as a fable about human soldiers, and the general public's weird exploitiv
One of the strangest comics I've ever read. The cover got my attention. An elephant in a trench coat smoking a cigarette? I'm in.

This is a bit uneven, but it's more that each issue is a little meandering. The art is worth the trip.
Apr 28, 2014 Tyler rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Finally got to read this and, admittedly, I'm intrigued. The art was hit or miss, but progressively got better and the writing was interesting. Will definitely have to follow up eventually.
Tiffany Tucker
Mar 27, 2016 Tiffany Tucker rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is hard to put down, it is absolutely fascinating. The art work is beautiful and this new world is one that I want to know more about, so I'm going to continue on with volume two.
Dec 10, 2014 Muneeb rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brilliant. Its a comic about Giant anthropomorphic Savannah animals - a typically 80s cartoon trope - but imbued with stark, grim back stories and poignant characterization.
Gayle Francis Moffet
This is not my comic. There's a lot of interesting pieces in it, but I can't shake off my discomfort and visceral reaction to a plot point that requires women to be kidnapped, raped, and forcibly impregnated to show you the evil scientist--who is unquestionably evil before this--is like, really evil, you guys.

It's a good idea wrapped in an interesting world, but I won't be reading farther. I gave it a full arc, and it gave me a female-based plot device I thought we were finally leaving behind a
Feb 23, 2010 Andy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
I picked this up after hearing good things on a few blogs I read and I have to say I wasn't disappointed. Billed as 'pulp science fiction' it's set in the world of Hip Flask and Mystery City dealing with the Elephant Men. Dark and surprisingly touching the first volume is light on story but does serve as an introduction to the world. I particularly liked the final story of Captain Stoneheart and the Truth Fairy.

All that aside the artwork is stunning and beautifully rendered. The world is alive a
  • Symphony
  • Dark Destiny: Proprietors of Fate
  • The Wildman
  • Black Magic
  • The Boys Are Back in Town
  • Godland Volume 1: Hello, Cosmic!
  • Willy
  • Proof, Volume 1: Goatsucker
  • The Best Horror of the Year Volume Five
  • Fear Agent, Volume One: Re-Ignition (Fear Agent, #1)
  • The Art of Fiction: A Guide for Writers and Readers
  • Atomic Robo and the Fightin' Scientists of Tesladyne (Atomic Robo, #1)
  • The Magician
  • B.P.R.D., Vol. 9: 1946 (B.P.R.D., #9)
  • A Distant Soil, Vol. 1: The Gathering
  • Isis
  • Batman/Huntress: Cry for Blood
  • Scud: The Disposable Assassin - The Whole Shebang!

Elephantmen (6 books)