Start by marking “Everyday Paleo” as Want to Read:
Everyday Paleo

Everyday Paleo

3.98  ·  Rating Details ·  2,249 Ratings  ·  93 Reviews
Do you want to lose weight, regain your health, and achieve a level of fitness you never thought possible? Are you interested in eating the foods that our bodies are intended to eat, but have no clue where to begin? You may already be a Paleo diet enthusiast; but are you struggling to feed your family the same foods that fuel you?

In Everyday Paleo, Sarah Fragoso gives deta
Published April 25th 2011 by Victory Belt Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Everyday Paleo, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Everyday Paleo

Katsim Simons
Jul 16, 2012 Katsim Simons rated it liked it
I wanted to love this cookbook. I like her website/blog. Sarah does a good job in including sections you don't really see: a fitness section, a kids section, getting your family on board, etc. She's cute and there recipes sound tasty enough.

But I've tried several, and all have the same problem: inaccurate instructions (particularly on cooking/prep time) and blandness. There wasn't one of the seven or so I tried that I didn't need to re-copy so I could add my own notes on how to improve it and ha
Trace
Aug 17, 2013 Trace rated it really liked it
I'm in a real dilemma... I don't need yet another cookbook that I'll only use for 2-3 of its recipes....and there are so many wonderful blogs and websites that offer Paleo recipes for free..

But there are at LEAST 45 recipes in this book that I'd love to make...and I can't renew this library book because there are 81 more people waiting to read it... hmmmm....

The best Paleo cookbook I've read so far....
Matt
Jul 29, 2011 Matt rated it liked it
Reservations about paleo aside, I thought this was a good book and well worth a read. I know of the author through her blog (of the same name) and a low-carb podcast she's part of, and that she is also an avid CrossFitter. Knowing her take on such issues ahead of time, I thought this to be a book worth examining.

The book is split broadly into 3 parts: nutrition, recipes and exercise. Part one discusses general nutrition, paleo eating and its ideology (including use of the dreaded "I'm not a scie
Stephanie Cowart
Jan 31, 2012 Stephanie Cowart rated it it was amazing
The Paleo lifestyle is not difficult to understand. It's all about eating food that were available to people who lived as hunter/gatherers a long time ago. So it's meat, lots of veggies, fruit, nuts and seeds. No grains, legumes or dairy.
It appealed to me because I had already been cutting way down on my consumption of grains and pasta etc. because I'm pretty sure I have a gluten allergy. Cutting out dairy was a little more difficult because I do love cheese! But the coconut milk alternative in
Emily
Sep 08, 2011 Emily rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction, medical
This book looked great from the outside, but once you actually opened it up, it was a real disappointment. I don't usually pay attention to things like layout, but in this book it was so unprofessional that it was very distracting. The pictures of the food look like something that an amateur photographer took which made them less than appealing. The exercise shots are on a plain white background which looks very odd. I only tried one of the recipes and it was ok.
Tracy
Aug 04, 2012 Tracy rated it it was ok
Shelves: food-diet
The introduction (not the forward) sounds just like the intro to Robb Wolff's book. She could have done something of her own and not just copied his style. The recipes seem fairly easy, but I have't tried any yet. My one main complaint is that almost everything needs coconut or coconut oil. I don't think my paleo ancestors ate that much coconut oil. I have not yet switched to paleo I am just interested in it but this book wasn't enough for me to make that change.
Jen
May 14, 2011 Jen rated it it was amazing
I borrowed this up from the library to check it out before buying. I made two things in one day and both turned out nicely (berry crisp and veggie-filled meatballs). The recipes are easy, with not too many ingredients and will appeal to the kiddos. I am going to pick this up for my cookbook library.
Rachel Dixon
Jun 12, 2011 Rachel Dixon rated it really liked it
Great overview of the paleo diet (or as everyone who is on this regimen calls it, the paleo "lifestyle"), with some questionable organization and unfortunate typos early on. While most books on the subject focus on the science of nutrition, Fragoso really delves into the family/lady bits issues of changing dietary habits, which is useful for some, and I'm sure is pretty rare among this category of dieters. Paleo is so butch.

The book is broken up into 3 basic sections: 1.) Anecdotal meanderings/
Marissa
Jun 27, 2013 Marissa rated it really liked it
Really liked this as an introduction into the Paleo lifestyle. It does not go very in depth on the background of Paleo- like despite her blurb on bacon I still don't understand how it's "good" for you or why organice brown rice is REALLY that bad. She talks a little bit about not eating gluten but I thought that gluten was only bad if you have an allergy- anyway I need to pick up a book that provides a little more research. However the recipe section in this book is AMAZING! So many good options ...more
Brooke
Jul 08, 2011 Brooke rated it liked it
I've started living a paleo lifestyle recently and thoroughly enjoyed the Everyday Paleo book. What I really loved about the book was that the recipes are straight-forward and simple, and that there is a picture with every recipe! That right there makes it a big winner in my mind. I could do without the workout section of the book, but it would helpful to those who are truly just starting out. All of that aside, the photography definitely needs a boost. Most of it looks like it was shot in a dar ...more
Kristi L Clephane`
Mar 06, 2015 Kristi L Clephane` rated it it was amazing
I've been wanting to read this book for a while now, and was finally able to own it! I was so excited to read this book that I DEVOURED it.

Everyday paleo is a wonderful book. Its an easy read without a lot of science talk, but the basic premise is this: its important to eat healthy, whole, fresh foods, and get up and move. Its equally important to also feed your family healthy, whole, fresh foods, and get them up and moving. She even gives you the HOW on converting your kids over to healthful e
Vivian Ruble
Oct 02, 2011 Vivian Ruble rated it really liked it
Love the book. The Tenderloin with cherries is wonderful. I served it over "mashed cauliflower" which we have a lot in my home as "mashed potatoes". Very good. Many recipes that look delightful. The photos are not the best, but there is one for each recipe and yes, (to the reviewer that says it looks like she took her own photos... I think it says she did!) :) Doesn't bother me in the slightest, as the book was not expensive and so far worth every penny! The author has a nice blog, too, with a w ...more
Amanda
Jun 03, 2012 Amanda rated it really liked it
Shelves: want-to-own, 2012
I wish there was a little more information on the science behind why a Paleo diet is healthy, but I understand Fragoso is not a doctor and is coming from the working mom angle. This is a great all around starter book and I loved that it had recipes, meal plans, shopping lists, and also exercise routines for beginners and advanced. I have read a few other Paleo books that really explained the why, and this book is great for the what. Lots of practical tips to help you succeed. Can't wait to try s ...more
Darin Ramsey
Jul 15, 2012 Darin Ramsey rated it really liked it
We found this at Costco over the weekend and spent twenty bucks of our food money on it immediately. Not for weight loss, or out of any need to eat a "paleolithic" diet, but because the paleo diet has NONE of our "avoid" foods! No wheat, gluten, soy, corn, or potato! We can cook and eat from the recipes without modifying them, which is something we haven't been able to do in almost ten years. Plus, the recipes are great and easy. I wish there were more of them. There are, of course; I just have ...more
Natalie
Jun 13, 2013 Natalie rated it really liked it
This is the first Paleo cookbook I bought a few years ago. I enjoyed the Everyday Paleo Blog so much that I wanted the cookbook. These recipes are relatable for a newcomer to the Paleo world, and there are many yummy ones, and a meal plan, if you just want to be told what to eat, like I did, starting out. A couple recipes I liked were the Easy Skillet Scallops and Spinach, Thai Shrimp Soup, Mom's Mashed Yams, Portobello Mushroom Sandwich, and Great Balls of Dates to name a few. My kids really li ...more
Alison Golden
Jun 20, 2013 Alison Golden rated it really liked it
Shelves: paleo
This is an excellent cookbook for the beginner paleo peep. Sarah uses simple ingredients to make dishes your family can get behind even if they are not pro-paleo themselves. She has it well laid out with shopping lists, paleo explanations and crucially her own story that many women can relate to. She even has a school lunch plan which I know is a big hurdle. All in all, this is a great starter paleo book, one I have referred my readers to over and over again - it has everything to get your on yo ...more
Katherine
Apr 25, 2012 Katherine rated it really liked it
Sarah's recipes are doable and delicious in a truly "everyday" way. They not only stand alone, but they serve as great inspiration for other creations in the kitchen, and I have yet to try one I didn't like.

She includes in the book some practical advice on how to transform your kitchen to a paleo kitchen, an easy meal planning/grocery shopping guide, and also a few CrossFit workouts for the paleo/CrossFit beginner.

My only critique of the book is the photos. They could be so much more appetizing.
Monique
Dec 23, 2012 Monique rated it it was amazing
Excellent source of reference for someone looking into the Paleo lifestyle. This is clean eating at its best. A year ago I could never consider this lifestyle whole today I'm all on board. The real talk about issues and ideas on how to overcome challenges are a plus to this newbie. The recipes are simple, quick and will make get lunch for the next day. A 30-day meal plan with grocery list is provided. Thanks Fragoso for sharing your real life experience with a no holds barred candor.
Marceline
Apr 09, 2012 Marceline rated it it was amazing
The recipe section is a fantastic feast for the eyes, and I have already made 3 of them in the last 10 days. I like Sarah's no nonsense, uncomplicated language. The tone is very positive and she makes the switch to Paleo sound very realistic with practical tips (and she knows the common pitfalls, too!)

I have this out from the library and I'm already considering buying a copy to keep at home. The recipes are too good not to have on hand.
Megan Carpenter
Jul 21, 2011 Megan Carpenter rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this, it makes gluten-free eating seem attainable (no, I'm not a gluten-free person, but I know lots who are).
I wish it wasn't quite so reliant on coconut, as I do have an allergy to that, but Sarah stresses that creating your own thing is perfectly okay. She's just trying to give you ideas. I also love the workout ideas that she provides, and ways to make the transition to Paleo eating easy for the entire family.
Audrey L
Feb 27, 2012 Audrey L rated it it was amazing
SUPER good book if you want to start Paleo eating and exercising. She has basic information about herself and her family, how eating Paleo helped her lose weight and get healthy. She is a Robb Wolf protege (he wrote "The Paleo Solution").

She includes a 30 day mealplan with shopping lists, 2 weeks of lunches for kids, good recipes and a detailed exercise regimen you can do at home. This would be a good book to buy. Check out her website: http://everydaypaleo.com/
Delores
Feb 02, 2013 Delores rated it really liked it
Shelves: fitness-health
Things that I liked: explains the paleo lifestyle in very simple terms; there are photos for every recipe; the author shares her personal healthy lifestyle journey; there is advice for getting your family on board; and so far the recipes I've made are good. The book is practical and straight forward, a good starting point if you have been interested or curious about paleo. I checked this book out from the library but I recently ordered it from Amazon.
Amy
I think if I had read this shortly after going to a more paleo diet I would have appreciated it more. However, I'm a year in and so many more and better paleo cookbooks have come out since this was first published, and which I read first, that this was not one of my favorites. I think Practical Paleo does a better job in terms of recipes and meal plans. The only thing this book has that Practical Paleo doesn't is the workout section.
Kelli
Jan 02, 2012 Kelli rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned-books, 2012
This was a very helpful read that provided the jumpstart I needed to get started on paleo. I liked that it didn't get bogged down in a lot of the science, which helped me to not become overwhelmed and just get going! If a mother of three can do this, I figure I can, too. I'll read more about the science and health benefits in other books.

I love that there are recipes, grocery lists, etc at the back. So helpful! Some irritating typos, but they're easy enough to ignore.
Leila Bowers
Oct 24, 2012 Leila Bowers rated it liked it
I like the author's personal story and voice, and her breakdown of Paleo is easy to understand, and the recipes I tried are good. I rated this lower because the exercise section is average, and the quality of publication - the graphics, formatting, and especially pictures of the recipes - were low quality.
Neil
Aug 23, 2011 Neil rated it it was ok
Shelves: never-finished
Overall the author's enthusiasm is contagious, but I have to say the recipes I made from this book ranged from meh to nearly uneatable. I'd recommend "The Primal Blueprint Cookbook" instead, keeping in mind that I'm not doing a hardcore OMG-STRICT version of paleo, so the latter's flexibility with ingredients is more my style.
Annette
Sep 27, 2015 Annette rated it it was amazing
This is the best Paleo cookbook, hands down. I love the recipes, the pictures, the lists and stories. It is the easiest book to understand and use to incorporate Paleo principles into a busy family life. Even the kids will love the food here. If you're searching for Paleo recipes and a fresh spin on family favorites, check out this book!
Kate Arms
Jan 22, 2013 Kate Arms rated it it was ok
I wanted a cookbook with grain-free recipes my kids would eat, and this isn't it. There is a berry crumble that we make a variation of every week, but I could have figured out how to do that without a book.
Also, I hate that this publisher includes a why you should go Paleo section in every cookbook.
Lorene Cobb
Nov 01, 2012 Lorene Cobb rated it really liked it
Shelves: health
This was my first Paleo Cookbook. Our family has enjoyed the simple recipes and it was a great introduction to converting our family to a grain and dairy free diet that meets my husband's allergies and diet restrictions. I would recommend this cookbook to anyone new to paleo, we are only two months in and still so much to learn.
Heidi Z. Kress
Mar 02, 2012 Heidi Z. Kress rated it really liked it
Found the part about transitioning kids to eating Paleo to be very interesting in general; getting the kids on the same page for eating with us is a constant struggle and some of her ideas are very useful for any eating type/for any kind of family meals... love that! Working through some recipes, so far we have do over meals! :)
  • Paleo Comfort Foods: Homestyle Cooking for a Gluten-Free Kitchen
  • Make it Paleo: Over 200 Grain Free Recipes For Any Occasion
  • Eat Like a Dinosaur: Recipe and Guidebook for Gluten-Free Kids
  • The Primal Blueprint Cookbook
  • Paleo Slow Cooking: Gluten Free Recipes Made Simple
  • The Paleo Diet Cookbook: More Than 150 Recipes for Paleo Breakfasts, Lunches, Dinners, Snacks, and Beverages
  • Paleo Indulgences: Healthy Gluten-Free Recipes to Satisfy Your Primal Cravings
  • Beyond Bacon: Paleo Recipes that Respect the Whole Hog
  • The Paleo Solution: The Original Human Diet
  • Well Fed: Paleo Recipes for People Who Love to Eat
  • Practical Paleo: A Customized Approach to Health and a Whole-Foods Lifestyle
  • Primal Body, Primal Mind: Beyond the Paleo Diet for Total Health and a Longer Life
  • The Paleo Coach: Expert Advice for Extraordinary Health, Sustainable Fat Loss, and an incredible body
  • The Gluten-Free Almond Flour Cookbook: Breakfasts, Entrées, and More
  • Paleo Lunches and Breakfasts On the Go: The Solution to Gluten-Free Eating All Day Long with Delicious, Easy and Portable Primal Meals
  • Lights Out: Sleep, Sugar, and Survival