3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  141 ratings  ·  20 reviews
""There are three rules for running a business; fortunately, we don't know any of them."
"
In 1978, Paul Newman and A.E. Hotchner decided that rather than just distribute Paul's own salad dressing at Christmas to neighbors, they would offer it to a few local stores. Freewheeling, irreverent entrepreneurs, they conceived of theirventure as a great way to poke fun at the mund...more
nookbook (ebook), 0 pages
Published November 4th 2003 by Nan A. Talese

Be the first to ask a question about Shameless Exploitation in Pursuit of the Common Good Shameless Exploitation in Pursuit of the Common Good

Patti
This book has come out in paperback with the title of "In Pursuit of the Common Good: Twenty-Five Years of Improving the World, One Bottle of Salad Dressing at a Time". This was a fun book to read which both made me laugh and tear up. What Newman and Hotchner accomplished by just being themselves and making practical decisions is truly amazing. Their journey from making salad dressing to donating 200 million to charity illustrates that when people see a thing that makes sense in its goals and ho...more
Jessica Rick
Since most of my reading revolves around the graduate program I am in, there are only a few gems that are worthy of sharing. This book happens to be one of them. I was struck by the tenacity with which the authors pursued their goals and their unselfish endeavors. They snubbed marketers and pretty much did things their way in order to get the Newman's Own food line on store shelves. And then they went one step further: they gave all their profits to charity and conceived and executed the Hole in...more
Barbm1020
This is a delightful tale of some (famous) people who thought it was important to do things right, and the surprising success of their endeavors. Now I want salad! With Newman's Own Dressing.
Jon C Manzo
Anybody who has been in a grocery store in the last 3 decades has, no doubt, come across some of the Newman's Own products; salad dressing, pasta sauce, popcorn. The products are always high quality and (comparatively) healthy. The story of how these products came into being and how they have made stacks of money for charity and helped create the Hole in the Wall Gang Camps (and done so while not making a single penny of profits for Paul Newman and A.E. Hotchner), is a nifty tale of good intenti...more
Peggy Bechko
Enjoyed the quick read on the origins of Newman's Own products and the charities it benefits. It may well have all been one big accident, but what an accident!

You'll enjoy the adventures of "PL" and "Hotch" as they pull together first the recipes for Newman's Own, then the 'business' (sort of), then the charitable connections.

Definitely worth reading.
Gobnait
Liisa
For Newman fans...a nice overview of how he started his philanthropic venture, Newman's Own. You'll cry from the reading the thank-you's from terminally ill children, the openings of camps across the world, and his incessant attempts at doing more. You'll smile, because he's just so cool!
Rachel
Quick and silly. Not great for me because food bores me and sick children make me overly emotional, but the base content was good. The first third is a bit too much like a sales pitch; it really comes into its own in the section about the Hole in the Wall Gang Camps.
Tiffany Malcom
I've been meaning to read this ever since I worked at the Hole in the Wall Gang Camp in 2010. It was fun to learn more about how the camp got started . . . who knew salad dressing could brighten the lives of thousands of sick children around the world?
Andrea
This is a light hearted book with the (lack of) the business plan that started a multi-million dollar company. The authors are humorous and truthful. This book reads easily and rather quickly. Truly an enjoyable read.
Karen
How 2 friends create a business that grows to huge proportions, then becomes the vehicle to a wonderful charity. Eventually evolving into a camp for terminally ill children. Also shows a celeb can give back to society.
Cory
A lovely book about a lovely company. Interesting little stories about Paul Newman and others in starting Newman's Own. Also a nice read for those interested in thinking outside the box in the business world.
Carroll Straus
Fast but lovely read. I meant to read this ages ago-- now I am really sorry I didn't. GREAT book. Read it to be inspired, read it to laugh, read it to marvel at what a unique human being this was.
Faith
I just stayed up 5 hours later than I intended to and read this book in one sitting. How is a book about salad dressing this interesting?! Seriously, I really enjoyed it.
Candace Brennan
Wonderful in every way-- engaging, warm, humorous and inspires me in the pursuit of meaningful living in my personal life.
Lori Grant
A should-read book on entrepreneurial success stories for the knowledge worker or aspiring entrepreneur.
amelia
Proving that Paul Newman can do no wrong, but quite a bit of right.
Sara
Awesome. How could it not be??
Shonna Froebel
Very good and slightly silly
Jasmine
Jasmine marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2014
Mollie
Mollie added it
Jul 27, 2014
Laura Hamilton
Laura Hamilton marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Paul Leonard Newman was an American actor, film director, entrepreneur, humanitarian and auto racing enthusiast. He won numerous awards, including an Academy Award, two Golden Globe Awards, a Screen Actors Guild Award, a Cannes Film Festival Award, an Emmy award, and many honorary awards. He also won several national championships as a driver in Sports Car Club of America road racing and his race...more
More about Paul Newman...
In Pursuit of the Common Good: Twenty-Five Years of Improving the World, One Bottle of Salad Dressing at a Time Newman's Own Cookbook Linguistic Fieldwork Modern Hausa-English Dictionary / Sabon ƙamus na Hausa zuwa Turanci The Hole in the Wall Gang Cookbook: Kid-Friendly Recipes for Families to Make Together