Start by marking “The Drawing of the Three (Dark Tower, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Drawing of the Three (Dark Tower, #2)

The Drawing of the Three (The Dark Tower #2)

4.21  ·  Rating Details  ·  122,890 Ratings  ·  3,529 Reviews
Beginning with a short story appearing in The Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction in 1978, the publication of Stephen King's epic work of fantasy-what he considers to be a single long novel and his magnum opus-has spanned a quarter of a century.

Set in a world of extraordinary circumstances, filled with stunning visual imagery and unforgettable characters, The Dark To
Published March 1989 by Plume (first published May 1987)

To ask other readers questions about The Drawing of the Three, please sign up.

Josue Garduño A few hours ago Stephen King announced that Sony had aquired the rights to make a "few films" based on the Dark Tower books.
AJ Reinwand I would say yes, but I'm personally a completionist. There is a websites the that walks through the best "order" to read the books in so you don't…moreI would say yes, but I'm personally a completionist. There is a websites the that walks through the best "order" to read the books in so you don't miss anything which is what I'm doing, sadly I don't have that site with me currently.

Would all the extra books outside of the series impact the reading that much? I don't believe so, otherwise they would be in the series.

The total list is like 25 books long.(less)

Kat Stark

*I listened to the audiobook*

Buddyread with the vivacious Karly (Click to read her review)

First Book: Gunslinger

Third Book: The Waste Lands

We're off on a grand adventure, an adventure to the tower
We hear it's the shit from a shit, if ever a shit there was
If ever, oh ever a shit there was, The Dark Tower is one because
Because, because, because, because, because
Because we do what Roland does
We're off on a grand adventure, an adventure to the tower

I figure that I've been pretty creative with King
Delee
When a very close friend lists a book as an ALL-TIME FAVORITE!!...the pressure to love it, and give it a review deserving of its fabulous-ness, is immense...when that very close friend is the gloooooorious Stepheny- the pressure is OFF THE CHARTS!!!! Anyone familiar with her- will know EXACTLY what I mean. ;)

...So here goes nothing *deep breath*...

photo 52be0ac8-bb79-4287-83a3-30d7dacde162_zpszibrxsca.jpg

THE DRAWING OF THE THREE- the second book in The Dark Tower series- takes place seven hours after we last left Roland Deschain in The Gunslinger. The
Stephen
Dan Schwent
Roland Deschain, fresh from the events of the Gunslinger, lies exhausted and poisoned on the shores of the ocean. In his delirium, he finds three doorways leading to our world and his new ka-tet. Will Roland survive long enough to bring his new ka-tet?

This is when the Dark Tower really started coming together. The first thing that happens really shocked the crap out of me. Damn lobstrosities! I had no idea what Roland was going to go through when I first opened this one.

The new characters are in
Kemper
Mid-World General Emergency Room - 9:19 PM

“Step in here, please. What’s your name?”

“Roland Deschain.”

“And do you have any allergies, Mr. Deschain?”

“No.”

“And when…..wait a second. Roland Deschain? The last gunslinger? The guy who is on a quest to find the Dark Tower?”

“That’s me.”

“Wow. This is an honor. I mean, I see a lot of scum and mutants come through here. Especially since the world has moved on and all that, but to get Roland the gunslinger in here as a patient? That’s just crazy! I can’t wa
Markus
Without thought, with the simple resolve that had made him the last of them all, the last to continue marching on and on long after Cuthbert and the others had died or given up, committed suicide or treachery or simply recanted the whole idea of the Tower; with the single-minded and incurious resolve that had driven him across the desert and all the years before the desert in the wake of the man in black, the gunslinger stepped through the doorway.

The journey to the Dark Tower continues, and t
Jeff
Mar 13, 2015 Jeff rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: buddy-reads
Available: Amazing Beach Front Property!!!

Plots available for building your dream home in a lush vacation paradise.

Only 666 lots left! Little to no money down! Hurry! Act Now!!

Great ocean view!! Mountains only an hour's drive away!

Unlimited parking!

You’re a doorway away from such exotic NYC entertainment as: Naked gunfights, wheelchair obstacle course, police car races, Whack-a-gangster, Bop-a-cop, and the locally famous flaming-creep subway run.

For the sportsman: minutes from an unlimited s
seak
Aug 31, 2015 seak rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011, stephen-king
"...There's going to be shooting."
"There is?"
"Yes." The gunslinger looked serenely at Eddie. "Quite a lot of it, I think."

And so begins the coolest, most intense gun fight I've ever read.

Ever since I put down The Stand 300 pages in, I thought I'd never read another Stephen King novel. You could say I was even proud of the fact. Everyone seems to love King and I'm the only one who doesn't. I'm unique... I also don't like Katy Perry.

Well, then he had to go and write The Dark Tower series. The pre
Will M.
Roland continues with his quest for The Dark Tower. While he was alone at first, he decides to have some company. He decides to have a drawing of the three. Three more people to be involved in his obsessive quest for the tower. Will he compromise the lives of the chosen ones, or will he make them better? The amazing quest continues in this second installment of the series.

Once again King introduced amazing characters. Right from the start I knew I was going to like Eddie Dean. He was this drug d
Stepheny(Annie Wilkes)
I’ve read the Dark Tower Series several times over the years. It is a series I hold very close to my heart, one that draws me in and whispers in my ear; begs to be read again.

So, when Calamity Bev, Rootin’ Tootin’ Pistol Packin’ Delee, Jumpin’ Jeff and Straight Shootin' Susan asked me to join them along the Path of the Beam on a most noble quest to the Dark Tower I said yes without a moment’s hesitation.

The Drawing of the Three is a book that on its own is in my list of top 10 books ever w
Laz
I knew ever since reading the first book that this series would only get better in time. To be honest, I expected it to become really good after the 3rd or 4th book but this one really is the turn. The first one is only a small tease of what this series is and can be.

Being a big Stephen King fan, I find his mind exceedingly sharp, and his thoughts utterly cohesive, building and building and then breaking everything apart. He's extremely talented and it shows in his work.

While in the first book
Amanda
May 28, 2013 Amanda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Amanda by: Everyone at Shelf Inflicted!
Shelves: blog
"What the hell was that?!!?" basically sums up my response to The Drawing of the Three. And I mean that in the best possible way.

As I opined in my review of The Gunslinger, I have avoided The Dark Tower for so long because it's a series and usually series books serve up a formulaic reheating of what happened in previous books. I usually enjoy the first book, like the second book, and begin to get that deja vu feeling that I've read all of this before somewhere around book three. Not so with thi
Evelyn (devours and digests words)
THIS BOOK IS SO FUCKING WEIRD AND AWESOME AND GODDAMN, I JUST WANT MORE.

The thing with The Drawing of The Three is that it is a helluva weird story but somehow King managed to make sense of THAT weirdness and turn it into something completely EPIC.

Also, the characterization game is very strong in here.

I'm already half in love with Eddie Dean and Odetta and even more so with ROLAND OF GILEAD. Seriously. How did King managed to get me so hooked to them like this?

I'm babbling away so obviously I c
♛Tash
Jan 21, 2016 ♛Tash rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016-reads
I think Roland's fever jumped off the page and transferred to me, other than that a terrific read. 4.5 stars.
Athena Shardbearer

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Damnation? Salvation? The Tower.

Algernon
Jun 25, 2015 Algernon rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
[7/10]

- "What's on the other side of the door for me?" Eddie asked the gunslinger quietly. "Go on and tell me. If you can tell me, maybe I'll come. But if you lie, I'll know."
- "Probably death", the gunslinger said. "But before that happens, I don't think you'll be bored. I want you to join me on a quest. Of course, all will probably end in death - death for the four of us in a strange place. But if we should win through ..." His eyes gleamed. "If we win through, Eddie, you'll see something be
Lou
The epic journey, the pilgrim continues his journey In searcheth of The Dark Tower. The Gunslinger Roland enters new dimensions, new doors three to be exact in search of The Three individuals which he his fated to be with.
The story is mix of many settings starting in The western seafront with The Gunslinger and dangerous Lobstrosities and then to 1980's a heroin addict and mobsters in P.O.V mode for The first of The Three 'The Prisoner'.
Roland The Gunslinger also pays a visit to the other 2 cand
Cindy Newton
Okay, I've been schooled. For lo these many years, I've prided myself on being one of the original Stephen King fans, the quintessential Constant Reader. I grew up with him, meaning that I am of an age that I read his books as he actually churned them out. I was there, hands outstretched, waiting for each eagerly anticipated tome, ready to devour it and add to my ever-growing admiration for the god of horror--except for the Dark Tower series. I can't even offer a satisfactory explanation for thi ...more
David Sven
THE GUNSLINGER
Roland Deschain – Of the line of Eld – all the way back to Arthur Eld
“Merlin and Arthur and the knights of the Round Table,” Jake said dreamily.
The gunslinger felt a nasty jolt go through him. “Yes,” he said. “Arthur Eld, you say true, I say thank ya.

Roland continues his quest for The Dark Tower where he intends to do
...whatever it is I’m supposed to do there, accomplished whatever fundamental act of restoration or redemption for which I was meant,...

THE TOWER
We learned from th
Lyn
Feb 02, 2015 Lyn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What the hell did I just read?

The Drawing of the Three is as far as I can tell, a unique literary experience.

The second book in King’s The Dark Tower series, published 5 years after The Gunslinger, this really begins The Dark Tower series. From my limited experience at having ready two of these, and myself more than two years in between, The Gunslinger seems like a prologue, a table setting. Maybe, just maybe, The Gunslinger is to The Dark Tower series as The Hobbit is to The Lord of the Rings.
Tfitoby
Apr 01, 2014 Tfitoby rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantastical
Gunslinger was a strange little book, a surreal tale of some kind of dystopia with a protagonist straight out of a classic noir. It was interesting and entertaining and didn't really inspire me to finish a series that might just keep getting longer whilst I work my way through it. Turns out Stephen King got the Dark Tower bug back and after finishing the series he wrote another instalment. Ordinarily I'd be against such behaviour but after ploughing through this second episode in record time who ...more
Bookwraiths
Mar 25, 2015 Bookwraiths rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Originally reviewed at Bookwraiths Reviews

The Drawing of the Three (The Dark Tower #2) is usually proclaimed by readers as either “The book that truly got me hooked on The Dark Tower series!” or as “The book that made me give up on The Dark Tower series.” Honestly, this novel is such a huge change from book one that it produces that wide a range of reactions.

The story itself picks up almost immediately after the end of The Gunslinger. Roland Deschain, our forlorn hero, has awakened from a magic
Terry
The Drawing of the Three is the second book of Stephen King’s magnum opus The Dark Tower. So far it hasn’t been bad, but I have to admit that I’m not fully a believer yet. It’s a good story, taking up where we left off in The Gunslinger with Roland on the beach after having confronted the Man in Black and pondering his next move. After being attacked and wounded by a lobstrosity (wtf?! couldn’t King come up with something better? I mean it kind of makes Roland look like a dweeb that he was overc ...more
Kane
Jan 31, 2011 Kane rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those with shellfish allergies
The Drawing of the Three deserves my five stars not simply for being a kick-ass book but for a more important reason: it rescued and defined the entire Dark Tower series.

If you read, or read between the lines of most reviews of The Gunslinger, you'll find that many people enjoyed it but were not blown away. The style is inaccessible, there are no answers to questions and you don't really understand what's going on. Then read what people say when they hit Drawing. They are catapulted into the ser
Beregond 3019
Aug 12, 2008 Beregond 3019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Moving on in the Dark Tower series, we come to the quintessential suspense fantasy of Stephen King's legacy. You've made it- trudged through three hundred drawn-out, dense pages of Roland's quest and its beginnings. You may not be expecting what you're about to get from this read. Take my advice: wait until you don't have work in the morning, find a quiet small room with no distractions, dive in, and prepare to be amazed. My only problem with The Drawing of the Three was its length; it might hav ...more
Karly *The Vampire Ninja & Luminescent Monster*
Buddyread with the wondrous Kat coming mid-September :)

Hunker down, me maties, an give us a listen
'cause I have a swashbuckling tale to spin
It's starts out with a gunslinger named Roland
Mutant lobsters and fingers goin' missin'

A Prisoner, a Lady and a Pusher there be
That is the story of The Drawing of the Three
Can it be, is it a tale you have not read?
Sit, sit, maties, listen to what is said...

Fore there be adventure, with a touch of mutiny
Sea creatures, Opiate Dealers and Mind Maladies.
There's
Beverly
Mar 07, 2015 Beverly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Beverly by: Stepheny(Annie Wilkes)
Three. This is the number of your fate.

Calamity Bev here.

I was a teeny bit hesitant to saddle up and ride with the posse
(Jumpin’ Jeff,
Rootin’ Tootin’ Pistol Packin’ Delee,
Quick Draw Stepheny, and
Straight Shootin’ Susan) when they continued their journey towards the Dark Tower, because I had struggled to get through The Gunslinger. The Drawing of the Three, however, has redeemed the series, and I will gladly join them every time they decide to follow the Path of the Beam.

DotT begins just hour
Kathryn
I am going to give The Drawing of the Three 4.5 stars.

Whew! What a wild ride! The beginning for me, when Roland meets Eddie, was a little boring. But, wow, does it surely pick up! The whole idea Roland could inhabit someone else by opening a door is a really interesting concept. There were some questions I had as I read TDOTT: What determined who Roland would open a door to? Does the person have to be good, bad, a saint, or evil? In the end, those questions were kind of answered, but not withou
Susan
In this second addition to the series Rowland's relentless expedition continues on toward the Dark Tower. When three doors appear to him he soon finds out that he is to obtain three different characters from different timelines in New York City history. Eddie Dean is the first, a sad, drug addict, looser; Odetta Holmes, the second unsuspecting party who is a wealthy paraplegic with a split personality and Jack Mort the third individual is the lowest of the low drug pusher. I find it fascinating ...more
Victor
May 10, 2015 Victor rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, 2015
I had such a great time rereading The Drawing of the Three. I just love how this series starts to unfold.
Stephen King Fans: The Drawing of the Three-book 2 155 369 Jan 23, 2016 01:01PM
Camino hacia la T...: II La llegada de los tres 1 4 Jan 02, 2016 09:45AM
  • The Dark Tower, Volume 3: Treachery
  • Roadwork
  • The Dark Tower, Volume 1: The Gunslinger Born
  • Weaveworld
  • The Last Aerie
  • Fire Sea (The Death Gate Cycle, #3)
  • Night Visions 5
  • Neverwhere: BBC Dramatization
  • Golden Fool (Tawny Man, #2)
  • The Bloody Crown of Conan (Conan the Cimmerian, #2)
  • Shadows Linger (The Chronicle of the Black Company, #2)
  • House of Chains (The Malazan Book of the Fallen, #4)
More about Stephen King...

The Dark Tower (7 books)
  • The Gunslinger (The Dark Tower, #1)
  • The Waste Lands (The Dark Tower, #3)
  • Wizard and Glass (The Dark Tower, #4)
  • Wolves of the Calla (The Dark Tower, #5)
  • Song of Susannah (The Dark Tower, #6)
  • The Dark Tower (The Dark Tower, #7)

“Control the things you can control, maggot. Let everything else take a flying fuck at you and if you must go down, go down with your guns blazing.” 258 likes
“What we like to think of ourselves and what we really are rarely have much in common....” 154 likes