Start by marking “The Investment Answer: Learn to Manage Your Money & Protect Your Financial Future” as Want to Read:

3.64 of 5 stars 3.64  ·  rating details  ·  468 ratings  ·  46 reviews
What if there were a way to cut through all the financial mumbo-jumbo? Wouldn't it be great if someone could really explain to us-in plain and simple English-the basics we must know about investing in order to insure our financial freedom?

At last, here's good news.

Jargon-free and written for all investors-experienced, beginner, and everyone in between-THE INVESTMENT ANSWE
Published January 12th 2011 by Business Plus (first published January 25th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Investment Answer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Investment Answer

Jane
Where I got the book: my local library.

Trying to get a better handle on money...a bit late possibly at 53! This book was recommended to me by a financial advisor. It's very much oriented to the stock market rather than money management as a whole (and explains why) but for a short read I found it to be pretty thought-provoking. It promotes a very straightforward, unaggressive approach to investing which, while it probably won't make anyone rich, is less likely to leave you with an empty portfoli
Drew
Excellent book about investing. Debunks a lot of the mystery. I'll read it again.
Erica
Yep, I need to get a financial planner.
Jonny99
Goldie & Murray’s short answer to your investment questions: ”seek help”. In this brief little book Goldie & Murray try to convince you that you pretty much have as much chance making money in the stock market as you do saving money at the car dealership. Their view, which is becoming very common, is that professional brokerages (e.g., Goldman Sachs) hold advantages in the stock and bond markets unapproachable by the individual investor and that Main Street’s position in the market is li ...more
Paul Eckert
To call this book the investment “answer” is a bit of a misnomer. Or rather, it would’ve helped to know what the “question” was.

There are no hard and fast answer in this book, as the title may lead one to believe. Of course, there are no easy answers when it comes to investing, and this book admits this up front. Rather, the aim of The Investment Answer is to simplify the various facets of investing into a set of decisions one must make, and this the authors do very well.

According to the autho
Patrick
Sometimes the right answer is boring

JDN 2456440 EDT 11:26.

I found The Investment Answer by Daniel Goldie and Gordon Murray in a rack of free books, and the little softcover is only 70 pages long, so I figured I may as well read it.
I was not disappointed; the book is a concisely written and easily accessible introduction to behavioral finance for anyone who is looking to invest in stocks and bonds. Its answers are rather banal: Buy low, sell high; don't trust your gut, use careful analysis; inve
Walt
This book effectively challenges every popular conception pertaining to personal finance and investment. Condensed into a very small book, the authors systematically argue against active investing and get-rich quick dreams that many investors harbor.

The book is guided by five questions that does not so much answer questions but prepares investors for when meeting financial advisers. The book gives some practical advice - avoid active money managers - but generally offers advice on what to look
Jeff
This book is so small that I bought the cheap Kindle version and read it on my computer screen in about an hour. It's definitely a good way to get a decent overview of the basics.

It has a lot of simple advice that makes sense. A few takeaways:

* If you get help, go for an independent fee-only advisor and not a broker.
* Quote:"The right time to invest is when you have the money and the right time to sell is when you need the money."
* Your most important decision is balancing risk by determining ho
Chinmay
Other than the initial chapter to seek help and get some financial advisor, the book pretty much a good primer on where to invest your money and how to keep tabs on it. I would recommend this book to anybody starting with investment and ask them to ignore the financial planner advise. Also, this is not a complete money management book, so read this only with the stock/bonds/funds perspective in mind.
Robb
Book is a starting point for investing. There are 5 questions you must ask yourself; invest on your own or with a professional? How will I diversify between stocks, bonds and cash? How should I diversify my portfolio among different categories, ie large cap stocks, small cap stocks, emerging markets, value, etc.? How often should my investments be traded, actively vs passive (this step is about controlling fees and costs to your portfolio) And finally how and when should i rebalance my portfolio ...more
Heather Larcombe
Quick, clear, sound. More a "how to start to do research to answer investment questions" book than a "this is how to invest" book, but at one disk (under two hours) that's about what I expected.
Moses
Quick primer on investing, good reminders of basic principles. Nothing novel though and doesn't really go deep enough on how best to execute the information it presents.
Iliana
Homework done. Nothing surprising here for me....preaching to the choir! Recommend it to anyone who wants to learn about passive vs. active investing.
Jason
Excellent advice for the self-directed investor.
Jenny
Nice and short. Sadly, it is too American to be of optimal use.

Worth remembering:

5 decisions to make:

1. DIY or use investment professional? (choose an independent fee-only investment professional)

2. asset allocation (cash, short-term domestic & int'l bonds, domestic & int'l stocks)

3. diversification (see #3 above)

4. active or passive (choose passive)

5. rebalancing (choose to rebalance 1-4 times per year)
Maryann
Great short book to recap financial advice without all the technical terms. Really breaks down investing options to a simple approach and you can finish in an hour. A good one to review before taking action. Some of the best nuggets from the book - get an Independent, Fee-Only Adviser (like from the Garrett Network). Decide on Asset Allocation, make sure you are Diversified, and Passive Index funds are typically the best for the average investor. And don't forget to rebalance annually.
Ryan
I believe this is probably a good book about investing, but I chose to read it because of the interview with the author and so was expecting something more spiritual, more in tune with the serenity of his words than with what the book was actually about. Investing is clearly a passion for the authors; not so much for me. I was disappointed, so "it was okay" reflects the disappointment and my general not-so-interested-in and not the quality of the information.
JParsons1974 Parsons
88 pages including index. Basic investment book worth buying after borrowing it from your local library. Covers what you need to know before investing your money in stocks, bonds, or hedge funds. Gives the reader a clear idea of the risksan benefits of the various investment techniques currently in use today. This book is written for the lay person but it does not dummy down the matterial. This one book worth reading and buying.
Greg Stoll
Good investment advice (and very short and to the point!), but mostly stuff I had read elsewhere. Your mileage may vary. Don't try to beat the market, don't talk to financial advisers who are paid on commission, etc. It did have a good discussion and some sample portfolios of how to balance between asset classes, and a good reminder to rebalance which is something we don't regularly do. Paper copy, available for borrowing.
Christian
I enjoyed reading this book, it was a good complement to That Thing Rich People Do. They focused on different points - where TTRPD was more about what to do, this book helped me understand why.

It has now been several months since I read it though, so I can't write a thorough review anymore.
Bill Platt
This is an excellent book about investing and provides great direction for anyone, any age. I love this book - I wish I had it 25 years ago.

I appreciate Daniel Goldie for pushing this book for publication before Gordon Murray's death. If you were ever puzzled to understand how to invest properly and for growth - this is your book.

Amazing amount of information in less than 70 pages. Wow!
Betsy
Jan 21, 2011 Betsy rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Betsy by: Nightline
I think the hype may have been a bit overblown, but I definitely recommend reading it. It seems to me that there's nothing really new here, that I've heard or read most of this somewhere before. But it is short, well written, clearly explained. It just makes a lot of sense -- whereas so much written about the market doesn't to a lay person. Maybe that's why it seems familiar.
Karl
This is really basic invest-for-retirement advice, but it completely validated my conservative, home-grown approach, so that made me feel a bit more professional. If you're just starting to think about what to put in your 401k, definitely read this first - it's about 60 pages, with lots of white space, so you can read it in one quick session.
Unwisely
This book aims to be read in one sitting, and it succeeded. It is thin, with a large font, and took me about half an hour. I admit that I was familiar with the concepts, but, dang.

Pretty basic, but I learned a thing or two, so, not a total waste of my time.
Pam
This 66 page book, despite being a quick read of only about an hour, gives a excellent overview of keys to successful investment. It discusses who to trust for investment advice and the difficulties of mixing emotions with investment.
Samantha
Very short, more like a pamphlet, and pretty boring material. But for what it is, it had a lot of really good information. Read it in one sitting like the authors intended. I wish they would have touched on flat-fee investment advisors.
Tom Henderson
Short and simple book. Good place to start if you're not familiar with investing basics like portfolio theory, efficient markets hypothesis or Sharpe ratios. Glosses over details though.
Becky Sidney
Common sense discussion about investment strategy that doesn't have to consume all your free time and is much less risky in the long-term. A quick, straight-forward read.
Kent
Simple to follow, straight-forward overview of the personal investing process. Good beginner's guide for understanding basic concepts and terminology.
Dana Perkins
Better than Investing for Dummies. It is very short, understandable and distills the best advice into 5 key decisions you must make if investing money.
Research Firm Koyal Group Appoints New Chief Commodities Analyst 1 4 Aug 12, 2013 07:20PM
  • Winning the Loser's Game: Timeless Strategies for Successful Investing
  • The Behavior Gap: Simple Ways to Stop Doing Dumb Things with Money
  • The Elements of Investing
  • Psychology of Investing
  • The Little Book of Common Sense Investing: The Only Way to Guarantee Your Fair Share of Stock Market Returns
  • You're So Money: Live Rich, Even When You're Not
  • Unconventional Success: A Fundamental Approach to Personal Investment
  • The Four Pillars of Investing: Lessons for Building a Winning Portfolio
  • The Only Investment Guide You'll Ever Need
  • How to Get Out of Debt, Stay Out of Debt, and Live Prosperously: Based on the Proven Principles and Techniques of Debtors Anonymous
  • Get a Financial Life: Personal Finance in Your Twenties and Thirties
  • Option Volatility & Pricing: Advanced Trading Strategies and Techniques
  • The Bogleheads' Guide to Investing
  • The Smartest Investment Book You'll Ever Read: The Simple, Stress-Free Way to Reach Your Investment Goals
  • Why Smart People Make Big Money Mistakes And How To Correct Them: Lessons From The New Science Of Behavioral Economics
  • Generation Earn: The Young Professional's Guide to Spending, Investing, and Giving Back
  • The Future for Investors: Why the Tried and the True Triumph Over the Bold and the New
  • Traction
The Mayor's Birthday Present Camberwick Green (Vintage Beeb) The Lost Drum Art of the Formula 1 Race Car