Category 7

Category 7

2.89 of 5 stars 2.89  ·  rating details  ·  238 ratings  ·  55 reviews
A Category 4 hurricane, with winds of up to 155 miles per hour, tears roofs off buildings, smashes windows and doors, and can send floodwaters up to the second floor. Evacuation is suggested for up to six miles inland.

Hurricane Katrina was a Category 4 when she made landfall.

Hurricane Simone is a Category 7--the biggest, strongest storm in recorded history. When she hits...more
Published July 10th 2007 by Forge Books (first published 2007)

Nicole
Aug 25, 2007 Nicole rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: No one
The category 7 hurricane does not even get near New York until the last few pages. We don't get to hear what the damage was until the epilogue.
The whole book up until those pages repeats the exact same information over and over, from each character's perspective maybe 4 times each.
There were zero likable characters. Zero.
Agonizingly tedious. Schlocky descriptive sections.
Three to five different characters use the term "woo-woo" to describe conspiracy theorists.
What is up with personifying the...more
Heather McCubbin
Aug 29, 2007 Heather McCubbin rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: any weather fanatic
This book is written by a NY Weatherman and if you like weather especially the "twin furies of wind and water" then I highly recommend this book! You have to suspend your disbelief that weather can't be manipulated. The US and Soviet Union, back in the 50s and 60s, were in a race to control the weather. The US managed to brew up a hurricane and move the Jet Stream in the 60s through a secret government agency, which was eventually disbanded. Present Day: a very rich, powerful man is a bit disgru...more
Robyn
Suspend your disbelief, and cast the movie in your mind - a la "The Day after Tomorrow" -- and you'll be able enjoy this conspiracy-driven novel about weather control. Any novel with two meteorologists as its heroes rates high on the nerd-patrol scale. Also, "co-writer" Marianna Jameson obviously supplied the pseudo-military and political intrigue, while New York's star forecaster Bill Evans theorized what would happen if a major storm swept up the east coast to New York City. As long as you can...more
Feenie
I thought it was an interesting book. Granted it is fiction, hopefully!!, it does make me wonder about what WOULD happen to NYC in case of a major hurricane.

Omar
No me gusto este libro tarde casi un año en leerlo, y lo termine de leer por remordimiento a dejar un libro incompleto. Es aburrido, el desastre natural aparece mas allá de la mitad de la lectura, y el final completamente inesperado y poco convincente. El que lo quiera leer bienaventurado sea!!!

I did not like this book almost one year late in reading it, and finish reading remorse leave an incomplete book. It's boring, it displayed natural disaster beyond the middle of reading, and completely un...more
Kat
I went on a search for novels about Natural Disasters and from looking at this one, written by an Emmy Award Winning Senior meteorologist as the blurb states before anything else, I thought I'd definitely picked a winner.

Wrong.

The title of this books is Category 7: The Biggest Storm in History, yet the storm doesn't really actually happen. It builds, and we get small "chapters" from the storms POV that always seem to end with it just getting closer, but never really hitting the coast.

What I w...more
Mark Bordner
I enjoyed this book.

It was realistic, entertaining, and easy to understand thanks to the author's skill in explaining the technical jargon in a way that the layman can grasp.

Great flow, and characters that were likable, even the bad guys.

With all of the threats to modern society, war and terrorism merge with super-science as our own planet's weather is turned against us. A zesty mesh of intrigue to spice up the science fiction aspect.

Well done, Mr. Evans.
Patrick Gibson
There it was--facing me on the rack at Barnes & Noble. Was this published in hardback? Probably not. Hot off the paperback presses, a new ecco-disater: not eathquakes, volcanos or tidal waves, but weather. Since it is apparent weather might take us down in the not to distant future, I carrried the freshly minted paperback to the counter. In truth, I was in the mood for a diaster. Something equalling the quality of my life would be good. Category 7 didn't come close. The only thing overtly ob...more
J.M.
Borrowed this from my dad because it sounded interesting. However, I only managed to get halfway through. The writing is fine, there aren't any major info dumps, and there's obviously action moving the story forward. But the characters aren't likable in the least, not one of them. Each has an ulterior motive that gets old quick. There are too many different characters, as well, and the few I didn't mind weren't given enough face time on the page.

And the hurricane in the title? Well, it only sho...more
LibraryCin

A meteorologist, Carter, has been doing secret research for years to try to manipulate the weather... and he has succeeded. When he decides to brew up a storm – the biggest one ever seen, really – he wants it to end up in New York City.

It wasn't what I expected. I expected the storm to hit and the book to be about that. So... it was much slower than I was hoping. Most of the book was actually the build up to the storm and trying to stop it, not really the storm itself. That being said,...more
Matthew Herring
A decent book on the evils of manipulating the weather. I could see Roland Emmerich getting his hands on this and making another big budget CGI lovefest, complete with the requisite shots of the White House getting demolished. That guy really hates the White House... But I digress. The action moved along well when there was any description of the hurricane, but much like the central storm, the narrative stalls frequently as the author tries to put his knowledge of meteorology into layman's terms...more
Lesli
I like disaster novels; and I like bad disaster movies (Sharknado, anyone?). This book seems to combine the worst of both and cram them into an entertaining though completely implausible plot.

Take equal parts monster hurricane, psychotic narcissist, bigoted Southern "gentleman," and plucky but broken female lead mix with a flat supporting cast...and you get this book. This science is sort of interesting...at least for an armchair weather nerd that doesn't really follow the science. I think it's...more
Jennifer Wardrip
CATEGORY 7 is an enjoyable weather-based thriller, although it took me awhile to get into the story, due to all of the unfamiliar terms. Once I got through it, though, I found myself immersed in the story.

The basics: a meglomaniac decides to take revenge on the President by using his creation, the ability to control the weather, to send a massive Category 7 hurricane towards New York City. Panic and devastation ensue, and it's up to a small-town weather reporter and a CIA operative to stop both...more
Karen Ball
***Adult book!*** We'll be placing this in the adult section of the library as it does have adult content. However, the descriptions of the hurricanes and storms were really interesting, and I thought the sci-fi part of how the hurricanes could be intensified through human intervention was amazing. Great job, Bill! We are really lucky because they are working on a young adult version of this story (hopefully out in a year or two). Found that out when I met OG resident Bill at his book signing at...more
Dave Moore
This was not a poorly executed novel,and the italicized portions that served to personify the storm are extremely well crafted. My only disappointment, (and the reason I gave it just 2 stars), is that I wish more had been offered concerning the science of 'super-storms'. Michael Chrichton taught us a bit about Quantum Mechanics (Timeline), nano-technology (Prey), DNA manipulation (Jurassic Park), etc.
Bill Evans is a well known and qualified meteorologist. He could have delved a bit deeper into t...more
Tiffany Felix
Category 7 is a good read for those who are into catastrophic weather fiction.
Stacy
I am a big Bill Evans fan, but I didn't enjoy this book. It's far too technical & scientific for the average person who isn't a weather fanatic. The book didn't get good until the last 75 pages or so and by that point I had really pushed myself to read it. There is no character growth and it's hard to like most of the characters. They are very flat. Unless you're a weather junkie, don't bother!
Wanda
The American psyche and popular fiction hves been forever changed by 9/11 and Katrina. This disaster novel is anchored in modern meteorology and plays with the concept of global eco-terrorism where weather is manipulated by an evil genius with a vendetta. This book failed to deliver on an intriguing concept. I hope the sequel promised in the last paragraph can do better.
Rebecca
I know this book is fiction but it scared me. I never thought the government would ever be able to control the weather. So many lives and homes being destroyed but they don't care because the companies that come in and clean up after hurricanes make so much money. I think more people should read this book. I hope Bill Evans writes another one too.
Tracy
This was an entertaining book but it reminded me of State of Fear by Michael Crichton. I'm not crazy about reading books that remind me of something else because it feels like the author may have copied what another author wrote about. That aside it was a little slow at first but the last quarter of the book was quite a page turner.
Ian Sirota
I'm now about 210 pages in. After some tough slogging (pardon the pun), the book has picked up in interest and action. I agree with another review that I read, though, which stated something to the effect that the storm (despite being the "headline" of the book) seems to be a relatively minor aspect of it to this point.
Wendy Dawn
A thriller of a different ilk. Think there is no such thing as a catagory 7 hurricane, think again. Then, think back on the greatest natural and man-made devistation known to the U.S. and realize the situation just took a turn for the worst.

Interesting, intriguing. New subject matter for a thriller of this type.
Sharon
Bill Evans is a meteorologist in real life. I read his latest book Dry Ice and enjoyed it so much I thought I'd read Category 7 and was not disappointed. Category 7 refers to a hurricane that is purported to be man-made. If you're fascinated by disaster and weather stories, you'll enjoy this fictional story.
Danna
Here's another from a Vegas airport bookstore; this time, it's a political and weather science thriller. Zippety doo dah! I've found a new two-author team to follow when I'm looking for a quick read. (I also think I've had enough snacks to kick off the '09 reading list; time to delve into main course material.)
Kyle Wendy
Great weather info, excellent descriptions of a killer hurricane, and some suspense and drama as the weather in the Eastern Seaboard spins out of control.
I could have used a lot less "woo-woo"'s in the story, however...it just seemed an awkward choice of wording and pulled me up short each time I ran into it.
Luella
I couldn't wait to read this book. I really like listening to Bill Evans in the a.m. on WPLJ. I'm soooo glad I bought the book used on line and only paid a few $ for it. It's not what I expected. It's disappointing books like this that make me love the library! But I stil love Bill Evans!
Courtney
As someone who is planning to major in meteorology, I was interested to see just what would happen if a powerful hurricane hit NYC. The storyline was very interesting, but the book was so repetitive. Every character said the same things way too many times. I hope the sequel will be better.
Edward
I'd give this a high three star rating because the plot really was good and pretty imaginative. The characters were solid, not great. not bad. The bottom line was that I really wanted to continue reading once I started, and that is the #1 thing I look for in a book.
Fredrick Danysh
A rich former meterologists learns how to create storm and creates the world's most powerful hurricane aiming it aat New York City. He is out to get revenge against the current president and to create a platform for his own preisential bid.
Jack
For Bill Evans' first novel it is pretty good, but just does not have the flow or punch that Fire Ice has. It is a worthwhile read, good story, the characters and plot are fairly well developed but it could use some more polish.
  • Watch Me
  • Mysteries of the Unexplained
  • Blackout
  • Brokenclaw (John Gardner's Bond, #10)
  • Simple Simon
  • The End: Visions of Apocalypse (SFFWorld.com anthology, #1)
  • Betrayal (Dismas Hardy, #12)
  • The Doorkeepers
  • The Mammoth Book of Apocalyptic SF
  • The Silver Ship and the Sea (The Silver Ship, #1)
  • To Sail a Darkling Sea
  • The Arctic Grail: The Quest for the Northwest Passage and the North Pole, 1818-1909
  • Morningside Fall (Legends of the Duskwalker #2)
  • Into The Volcano
  • On the Road (Life After War, #2)
  • National Security (Jericho Quinn, #1)
  • The Year's Best Fantasy and Horror: Tenth Annual Collection
  • Gooseberry Park
Bill Evans is a multiple Emmy Award-winning, nationally-renowned senior meteorologist. He has appeared on Good Morning America and Live! with Regis and Kelly. Evans has received the Outstanding Meteorologist Award from the National Weather Service and has hosted the National Hurricane Conference. Bill Evans and his family live in Connecticut.
More about Bill H. Evans...
Dry Ice Frozen Fire Blackmail Earth It's Raining Fish and Spiders Universes of E.E. Smith