The Infinite Atonement

The Infinite Atonement

4.63 of 5 stars 4.63  ·  rating details  ·  2,348 ratings  ·  428 reviews
"Some things simply matter more than others," writes Robert L. Millet in his foreword to this landmark book. "Even some doctrines, though interesting and fun to discuss, must take a backseat to more fundamental and foundational doctrines. It is just so with the Atonement of Jesus Christ. The Atonement is the central act of human history, the pivotal point in all time, the...more
Published March 28th 2000 by Deseret Book (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about The Infinite Atonement, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Infinite Atonement

The Book of Mormon by Joseph Smith Jr.Holy Bible by AnonymousJesus the Christ by James E. TalmagePreach My Gospel by The Church of Jesus Christ ...Lectures on Faith by Joseph Smith Jr.
Best of LDS Theology
20th out of 87 books — 38 voters
The Book of Mormon by Joseph Smith Jr.Jesus the Christ by James E. TalmageHoly Bible by AnonymousStanding for Something by Gordon B. HinckleyThe Miracle of Forgiveness by Spencer W. Kimball
Best LDS non-fiction
35th out of 183 books — 213 voters

More lists with this book...

Bonnie Blackburn
Is it allowed for a devout mormon to give a mormon book a low score? My bihsop recommended that I read this, and if it hadn't been for his recommendation, I wouldn't have been able to finish it. Callister uses SO MANY adjectives it is ridiculously distracting to the point where you can't even focus on what he is saying. Example: "It was a sacrifice that was so grand, so glorious, so grandiose, so big, so important and so vital to us." Wow. Really? You had to use ALL those adjectives to describe...more
Jill
This book taught me more about the doctrine of the atonement than I've ever learned in my entire life. It is heavy reading that required me time to ponder and internalize it. I feel like what I really understand about the atonement could fit in a thimble, or maybe a dropper. This has enlarged my understanding, deepened my appreciation, left me humbled and eternally grateful to my beloved Savior for his infinite love, compassion and supreme sacrifice. It is a book I will continue to read over and...more
Emily
This is the BEST gospel book I have ever read. It provides so much insight, clarity, and logic concerning the atonement and related topics. I could only read a little at a time because there is so much to take in and ponder. It is thoroughly researched, well organized, and beautifully written. I don't think anyone can read this book without growing intellectually and spiritually. This book changed me. This is the first time I have finshed a book and wanted to immediately start it again. Unfortun...more
Paul Callister
Sep 12, 2007 Paul Callister rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone wanting
Shelves: religion
Ok, so my uncle wrote it (and I watched him write it over 17 years)and I'm impartial, but the book is an excellent account of why we need Christ's atonement and how it relates to other religious concepts like Adam's fall, law, and sin.
Trudy
This book deserves 10 stars! Now that I've finished reading and marking it, I feel that I should start all over again. It's truly amazing! Here is one of the author's closing paragraphs:

"One does not speak lightly of the Atonement or casually express his appreciation. It is the most sacred and sublime event in eternity. It deserves our most intense thought, our most profound feelings, and our noblest deeds. One speaks of it in reverential tones; one contemplates it in awe; one learns of it in so...more
Connor Boyack
This book took me a while to get through, mainly because it would take me a while to digest each section I read. It's rich and thorough in its presentation of scripture to affirm each assertion, which makes for slower reading. But I know of no other work which so clearly sets forth the case for the Atonement and explains each facet of it. This is a must read for every child of God.
Heather
This is a wonderful book that focuses our attention on the importance of the Atonement - the single most important event and act of love in history. Joseph Smith teaches that the resurrection and the Atonement are the fundamental principles of our religion and everything else is simply an appendage (see page ix). This is a book that could be read again and again while studying the important aspects of our Savior's love and Atonement for us.

We all need to study and come to understand for ourselve...more
CarrieLyn
May 02, 2008 CarrieLyn rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to CarrieLyn by: Moraga Ward book group
This was a hard book to get through. It could be considered a strength, but, to me, the legalistic approach Callister took to his subject made for dull reading. He is a lawyer, and I could see his skill as a legal writer on display here. He carefully roadmapped what he was going to say, introduced each subject on his roadmap as he tackled it, covered it incredibly thoroughly with long quotes and careful end notes, and then concluded by reminding us at the end of each chapter what the point had b...more
Rob
Feb 17, 2008 Rob rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: All Christians
This book provided an excellent review of the atonement and it was very comprehensive in the sense that it related the atonement to quite a variety of other gospel principles. There is definitely a niche for this book, as I don't know of many other books that focus solely on the subject of Christ's suffering in Gethsemene and Golgotha. The book is full of great quotes and scriptural references. However, I did not have the same enthusiasm for this book while I was reading it as others who reccome...more
Garrett Burnett
I wondered how Callister could fill an entire book on such a narrow subject. I assumed he would provide a description of the atonement of Jesus Christ with scriptural backing. There aren't really that many scriptures about the event—certainly not an entire book's worth. Callister, however, took a broader view. He described the importance of the atonement as it spanned and affected all facets of religion, spirituality, and life. It turns out, it's a pretty broad topic after all.

Callister tries to...more
Jana
Jun 10, 2008 Jana rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Jana by: Cari Banning
Shelves: spiritual-lds
Wow. Amazing in-depth look at the atonement which is at once scholarly and yet intimate and accessible. I have lent it to friends, gifted it on occasion, quoted from it in talks, and marveled at its rich insights.

One aspect I particularly responded to was the idea that everything in the gospel has a physical symbol, and Callister's suggestion that the symbol for the atonement is an embrace.

I also knew the author as a missionary and believe that he lives these principles as fully as he understan...more
Joy
Overall, I would recommend this book to anyone who would like to read a comprehensive book about the atonement. I found many passages that were insightful and I enjoyed Callister's incorporation of literature (primarily Shakespeare). This book is doctrine heavy which I thoroughly enjoyed. My only slight complaint with this book is Callister's occasional over-editorialization, but that complaint is very minor. Callister wrote a book that is mostly doctrine and by and large steers clear from emoti...more
Annie
I finally finished this book after several months to get through it. It was an absolutely wonderful book though. A very comprehensive and beautifully written book about the doctrine of the gospel of Jesus Christ. It's easy to read---it just took me so long because I read multiple books at the same time. As far as important books to read in your life, I think this is one of them. Just a wonderful explanation about God's plan for us and the essential role that the Atonement of Jesus Christ plays.
Bskidmore
I won't even pretend to be able to adequately express my feelings about this book. It's definitely one I'll be reading over and over, as it really helped to explain one of the most fundamental truths and acts ever completed in history, in a way that was much easier to follow and apply than other things I've read about the Atonement...... And there were still plenty of things over my head!
Ginger
This is one of my all time favorite books on the Atonement. I learned so much about my Savior in reading it. I think EVERYONE should read this book. Your tesitmony and gratitude for the savoir will grow in leaps and bounds. I kept my scriptures close by while I read it and make notations in my scriptures. I try to read this every once-in-a while as a healthy testimony booster!
Jason Caldwell
This book answers a lot of questions that arise as one studies the atonement. He references throughout the book to poets, scholars, prophets, church leaders, and scripture. Most importantly he helps remind the reader of the importance of applying the atonement in our lives and of being grateful for that sacrifice that has been made for us.
Sirpa Grierson
Well-researched book on the atonement. With each book I have read on this topic, I have gained more understanding of the importance of contemplating this singular event and its implications in each of our lives. Highly recommended.
Angie
Profoundly deep and spiritualy moving, I wish I could give this book 6 stars. This book helped me to look at the atonement in a new light. I found new ways to access this infinite gift. This was, for me, a life changing book.
Ethan
A good factual review of the atonement, but doesn't have much in the way of application, of making the atonement part of your life....which is way more important than knowing the facts.....
David Menzies
Dec 30, 2009 David Menzies rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone
I enjoyed how Tad Callister used so much imagery in his descriptions of the Atonement. It was a rather poetic read, quite enjoyable - yet not engrossing.
Ernie Dawson
This one of very few books I put on my "must read" list. Tremendous insight. Elder Callister is a member of the 70.
Brandon
This is a beautiful exposition on the most important religious doctrine of all time - the Atonement of Jesus Christ. Callister delves and probes the doctrine in a way that is simultaneously intellectually enlarging and spiritually inspiring. I was moved deeply by the concepts in this book. My only criticism was that some of the later chapters lacked the power and substance of the former and either tread too much on familiar territory and/or were too speculative to have much practical value. But...more
Tamra
There aren't many books I have read that I can say truly changed me, but this one certainly did. It enlightened, inspired and humbled. It drew me closer to my Savior and gave me an even deeper and more profound appreciation for the Atonement. At times it was heavy reading and I had to take a break in order to digest and fathom what I had just read, but I always wanted to come back for more uplifting and enriching.

I know it is impossible for me to ever fully understand the Atonement - at least i...more
Erika
Wow. This is one I will be reading again, over and over.
Angie
Five stars!
This book is amazing. It offers clarity and insights to the Atonement of Jesus Christ.
When I first read this book, I tried reading from beginning to end. However, when I did so I found the beginning to be a little intimidating. What has worked better for me has been studying this book by topic. My favorite part is probably the sections that discusses the love of Heavenly Father and Jesus.

If you are seeking to better understand the Atonement, the Gospel, or even your individual worth...more
Angela
I have never been more grateful that someone recommended a book to me! You may need to read one chapter at a time but you should read this!
Our mortal lives are a constant struggle between choosing a oneness with god or a oneness with the world.
At-one-ment: reconciliation or bringing into agreement those who have been estranged.
Great quotes...we become like those things we habitually love and admire. As we study Christi's life and live his teachings, we become more like him.
Weeping may endure...more
Andrew Pixton
Good but not as much as I expected. This has been really influential in LDS theology and describes in excellent detail what's become the central tenet of Mormonism. Callister argues that the atonement of Christ is infinite in at least eight ways and is absolutely necessary for salvation. It wasn't as intellectually stimulating as I'd hoped, it was fairly moving and the frequent literature references helped, but it just wasn't enough for me.

The subject is powerful. I've always thought of the Aton...more
Joe Wisniewski
I can't say enough about this book. I know it isn't scripture, but ...
Every chapter I pick up aspects of the atonement, that I hadn't considered before. A truly wonderous read.

The true measure of friendship is what we share, esp. sharing the most meaningful aspects of our lives. A friend shared this book with me. What this book represents and the friendship that provided the opportunity to share it will be with me forever.

Re-reading this book is like re-watching Airplane. I always catch somethin...more
Teri
The first paragraph of the first chapter is so beautifully written and eloquent.
"A person studying the Atonement is somewhat like the man who retreats to his mountain cabin to enjoy the scenery. If he looks out the window to the east, he will see the snow-capped peaks of the Rockies; but if he fails to examine the view on the west, he will miss the the crimson-streaked sunset on the horizon; if he neglects the scene to the north, he will never see the shimmering emerald lake; and if he bypasse...more
Scott
A good book in many ways, particularly in the way it gives a treatment to many otherwise-frequently-neglected areas of life which the Atonement impacts, as well as simply the topic of the book--I don't know of another book that sets out to treat this topic with such breadth and depth.

That said, the book relies so heavily on scriptural references that many pages were literally constant streams of quotation marks and references. While there is certainly nothing wrong with the scriptures, I found...more
Infinite Atonement 2 19 May 12, 2013 10:36AM
  • Christ and the New Covenant: The Messianic Message of the Book of Mormon
  • All These Things Shall Give Thee Experience
  • The Continuous Atonement
  • To Draw Closer To God: A Collection Of Discourses
  • Hearing the Voice of the Lord: Principles and Patterns of Personal Revelation
  • The Broken Heart: Applying the Atonement to Life's Experiences
  • Counseling With Our Councils: Learning To Minister Together In The Church And In The Family
  • Joseph Smith the Prophet
  • Faith Precedes the Miracle
  • Lectures on Faith
  • Increase In Learning: Spiritual Patterns For Obtaining Your Own Answers
  • Teach Ye Diligently
  • Daughters of God: Scriptural Portraits
  • Finding Peace, Happiness, and Joy
  • Teachings of Gordon B. Hinckley
  • Articles of Faith (Missionary Reference Library)
  • Following Christ: The Parable of the Divers and More Good News
The Inevitable Apostasy and the Promised Restoration Classics from Tad R. Callister

“Elder Neal A. Maxwell suggests that the prime reason the Savior personally acts as the gatekeeper of the celestial kingdom is not to exclude people, but to personally welcome and embrace those who have made it back home.” 15 likes
“The Atonement of Jesus Christ outweighs, surpasses, and transcends every other mortal event, every new discovery, and every acquisition of knowledge, for without the Atonement all else in life is meaningless.” 2 likes