Start by marking “The Journey of August King” as Want to Read:
The Journey of August King

The Journey of August King

Discovering Analees Williamsburg, a fifteen-year-old runaway slave in 1810, August King faces a moral dilemma in which he must decide between turning the girl in for a reward or risking his life to help her. Reprint. Movie tie-in.
Published December 8th 1995 by Miramax Books (first published 1971)

To ask other readers questions about The Journey of August King, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Journey of August King

Aug 29, 2015 Sarah rated it it was amazing
I read it while concurrently watching the movie which I found on Netflix. John Ehle did the screenplay as well so it was kind of like he got to tighten up his own story. Of course with a book you get all the internal thought processes. There were more plot elements in the book as well which made it a much more complex story especially since this is part two of Ehle's septology on the Appalachian region in North Carolina. (Ha, I've never had to use that word before). The movie was much tighter ...more
Jakki
Oct 19, 2011 Jakki rated it it was amazing
Bought this book at a thrift store for .75! What a bargain. An AMAZING story about the man, August King, who gave up EVERYTHING that was important to him materially to help a young black girl escape slavery. I love what he said "Sometimes to do the right thing one has to give up other things that are encumbrances even if those things are a big part of what gives us security". Accused of "wrong thinking" in wanting to help the young girl, his friends told 1/2 truths.
Donna
Apr 11, 2008 Donna rated it really liked it
I read everything I can find in historical fiction for the Appalachian area! All of John Ehle's books are wonderful!

I first say the movie THE JOURNEY OF AUGUST KING and then found the book. I was hooked!
I read all the others one by one and enjoyed seeing the same names of families appearing from generation to generation.

Read them all!
Joy H.
Jan 21, 2014 Joy H. marked it as watched-film-only
Added 1/21/14.
This book (first published 1971) was adapted to film in 1995. I watched it via Netflix streaming. Good story.
Gloria
Apr 21, 2010 Gloria rated it really liked it
I actually read this book as a precursor to having my older kids watch the film version for their "Movies as Literature" class.
It was stunning, violent, sad, and ultimately uplifting-- if only in that one hopes there will always be August Kings in the world to do what is right.
Victoria Lynn
Jan 28, 2016 Victoria Lynn rated it liked it
I enjoyed the story, but found it hard to read. It took me a long time, but I was reading several books at the same time.
Lesley
Apr 19, 2015 Lesley rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
A simple and harrowing story of a man trying to do the right thing in a world that is UN-apologeticlly wrong.
Jennifer Nesbitt
Sep 12, 2015 Jennifer Nesbitt rated it it was amazing
Wow...fantastic book, read the whole thing today, and I can't remember the last time I read a book in a day. I'm looking forward to reading more of John Ehle's work.
Claudia
Aug 11, 2012 Claudia rated it it was amazing
Can not stress how great this book is. The time period it takes place and the conflict that arrises makes it a book I couldn't put down.
Debby
Debby rated it really liked it
Mar 21, 2016
Gayle
Gayle rated it liked it
Jan 16, 2013
Wanda Gonzalez
Wanda Gonzalez rated it liked it
Aug 04, 2012
Brianna
Brianna rated it really liked it
Jan 22, 2009
mary
mary rated it liked it
Jan 24, 2009
Meredith Britt
Meredith Britt rated it it was ok
Jun 22, 2013
Angela Correll
Angela Correll rated it it was amazing
Sep 01, 2014
Dan Rose
Dan Rose rated it it was amazing
Jun 20, 2014
Tammy
Jul 18, 2009 Tammy rated it really liked it
Forsyth County Public Library, Main Branch
Samruff
Samruff rated it really liked it
Oct 15, 2016
Jonetta
Jonetta rated it really liked it
Sep 16, 2012
Jen Showman
Jen Showman rated it liked it
Oct 05, 2011
Ann
Ann rated it it was ok
Mar 09, 2014
Maaike
Maaike rated it really liked it
Nov 04, 2016
Liz
Liz rated it it was amazing
Mar 08, 2016
Patricia
Patricia rated it it was ok
Oct 07, 2014
Lori Bigler
Lori Bigler rated it it was amazing
May 29, 2014
Vanessa
Vanessa rated it liked it
Nov 21, 2014
Patricia Kelly
Patricia Kelly rated it it was ok
Sep 16, 2014
Grant
Grant rated it liked it
Mar 03, 2015
Dalibor
Dalibor rated it it was amazing
Aug 16, 2014