Start by marking “The Overlook” as Want to Read:
The Overlook

The Overlook (Harry Bosch #13)

3.89  ·  Rating Details ·  22,556 Ratings  ·  1,173 Reviews
Near Mulholland Drive, Dr. Stanley Kent is found shot twice in the back of the head. It's the case LAPD detective Harry Bosch has been waiting for, his first since being recruited to the Homicide Special Squad. When he discovers that Kent had access to dangerous radioactive substances, what begins as a routine investigation becomes something darker, more deadly, and fright ...more
Published May 22nd 2007 by Little, Brown and Company

To ask other readers questions about The Overlook, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Overlook

Oct 15, 2016 Carol rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, series
2 stars – It was neither good not bad. As my younger friends say meh!

The most exciting thing that happened in this Harry Bosch novel was learning a bit about the radioactive material cesium and what could happen if it were used in a terrorist plot. All seemed too familiar, like the same old. A short story that seemed rushed. What saved The Overlook from becoming a DNF was the continued fine performance by Len Cariou in narration.
Jan 25, 2016 Lyn rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Michael Connelly has made a name for himself by creating the characters Harry Bosch and Mickey Haller.

In The Overlook, Connelly’s 2007 entry into the Harry Bosch files, the mystery writer takes on a case where Bosch must work with the FBI in a suspected terrorist case.

This is the 13th Harry Bosch novel (Connelly began the series with The Black Echo in 1992) and the LAPD detective again demonstrates his Holmes-esque attention to detail and also his inability to follow bureaucratic rules. Connelly
Jan 24, 2016 Mark rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of the better detective story
Michael Connelly does his token terrorism story. And it would not be true to him to make it a political mess and power struggle among the various organisations that want to show the world and their constituency how great they are at the wheel of a real threat. Among them Harry Bosch with a new partner that just wants to solve a the murder that starts of the whole story. And Harry gets mighty annoyed when the murder is considered less important than the threat of some terrorism.

As always Connelly
Jun 04, 2007 Brent rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Connelly Fans
Shelves: crimefiction
The Overlook is Connelly's latest Harry Bosch detective novel. The book was written as a 16 part serial novel for the New York Times Magazine and it shows. I'm a big Bosch fan and I always enjoy reading about him but I am a little disappointed in this book. As one might expect with a serial novel, many chapters are disjointed and Connelly does not focus on character development. Rachel Walling is again back in Bosch's life and while Connelly mentions the relationship, he doesn't do much to devel ...more
Jul 17, 2015 Dagny rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fabulous read! The details and possible ramifications of the case were fascinating. For the first third or so of the book, it wasn't a frantic read for me and I was able to sit back and enjoy Connelly's highly readable style and expert plotting. Then it became frantic.
Mar 07, 2009 Pat rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, audiobook
I can't believe Connelly wrote this book. Bosch asks "what is a person of interest." That's just one of a dozen annoying instances where Bosch is clueless as to what's going on. Then his antagonism with the FBI is childish. He, of course, turns out to be right and the FBI wrong. This is just not up to Connelly's usual great writing. I really do suspect it was ghosted.
Noran Miss Pumkin
While bumming around Chicago-saw a church book sale. SWEET!!!!!! Huge bag of goodies for $20-actually 16, but it is a church-so donated the change. I even bought a vintage Russian novel-though I cannot read it-i so adore the dust cover art, and the color plates of the story.
Linda J
Jan 16, 2010 Linda J rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Rabid Connelly fans only - newbies stay away.
Shelves: michael-connelly
I couldn't understand why this book lacked the depth of previous Harry Bosch novels until I learned it had been serialized in a magazine and then published as a book. The book read like someone held a gun to Connelly's head and demanded triple-time story development and resolution.

I don't know why Connelly even gave Bosch a LAPD partner but I guess LAPD protocol required it. Iggy, the partner in this book, was a new one and essentially ignored - Bosch generally had him running errands, offscreen
Jenifer Mohammed
Jan 08, 2015 Jenifer Mohammed rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: hard-boiled
Connelly is a master of misdirection in this thrilling mystery where nothing can be taken at face value. Bosch is called out to a murder scene and the FBI quickly becomes involved when terrorists are suspected of stealing cesium to mount an attack. There are a lot of lies and backstabbing between Bosch and the FBI but Bosch ultimately solves the murder. Extremely well-written!
Jul 31, 2016 Jim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Harry is back on the murder squad & butting heads with the FBI. Pretty typical, yet a whole new interesting story. Well written & read. Nothing too far out of the ordinary, so there's not much sense in going on.

Note that I list this as 17th in the Harry Bosch Universe, not the 15th as listed below. Next up are 3 short stories. I've found they're important to read in order, if possible.

16 - Echo Park (Harry Bosch #12), 2006
17 - The Overlook (Harry Bosch #13), 2007
17.4 - Father’s Day (200
Freda Malone
Sep 07, 2016 Freda Malone rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a super quick read of Bosch and FBI agent Rachel Walling, involving cesium, a murder, and a ton of red herrings. This could have been the perfect murder but when you have a detective like Harry Bosch, the perfect murder isn't so perfect.

I have a few mixed feelings about this book and series now. I love Bosch as a main character. His uncanny way of solving crimes is terrific. However, he is being bounced to different departments in the district every time I pick up the next Bosch novel.
Jul 07, 2013 Josh rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, crime, read_2013
While being the 13th book to feature Harry Bosch, THE OVERLOOK is a great way to introduce new readers to the series long running character. THE OVERLOOK resumes Harry’s career in law enforcement tracking down murderers whilst working homicide. He’s got a new partner and a new case which looks very LA Noire on the surface, yet looks can be deceiving.

An execution style murder on the Mulholland overlook becomes much more when a link with a radioactive chemical is established and a plot involving t
Aug 24, 2011 Checkman rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Harry Bosch fans
Three and a half stars.

I like the Harry Bosch books. I don't read them all the time. It's been my experience that if I read novels featuring the same character back to back I become bored. It's like watching a long running series on television. It gets comfortable, but predictable.

About once a year I'll read one or two of the Bosch novels. As I wrote in my review of The Black Echo I was around when the series began in 92 and I like it.

So last Saturday a local library was having it's annual boo
Jul 17, 2016 Linda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love this series. Michael Connelly has created a character that I like a lot, Detective Harry Bosch. I like his looks, his house in the hills and the view at night from his patio, I like the jazz music he listens to when he needs to unwind, his wit, his cleverness, the fact that he's a tough guy, his knowledge of his job, the way he loves his women...there isn't much not to like.

The last book was cold cases and in this one, previously retired Bosch is back on the job as Detective Bosch and we
❆ Crystal ❆
This is the shortest Harry Bosch book yet... weighing in at 240 pages it was still the bomb! I don't feel this book skimped at all in any department. The crime was intense, the investigation wild and a bit scary... Harry is ticking people off left and right, but guess what? Harry is the MAN! Everyone just needs to get out of his way and let him figure it all out. I thought it was perfect and I loved it.
Oct 16, 2015 David rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A shorter than normal Harry Bosch police procedural that took place completely within 12 hours. I loved the trimmed down story, and without distraction it provided the perfect vehicle to highlight Bosch's superior deductive skills. Harry was always one step ahead of the game in this one, and at his 'get-it-done-any-which-way-you-can' brilliant best. Highly recommended.
Rex Fuller
Jan 10, 2013 Rex Fuller rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Outstanding book. Very hard-driving, relentless pace. The best of the 16 Bosch books I've read.
Mar 12, 2014 Maddy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014-reads
SETTING: Los Angeles
SERIES: #13 of 18
RATING: 4.25
WHY: Harry Bosch has moved on to yet another assignment, this time to the Homicide Special Squad, and a new partner, Ignatio "Iggy"" Ferras. Ferras is also relatively inexperienced and quite uncomfortable with Harry's way of doing things. The case they are handling is the murder of Dr. Stanley Kent, found shot on an overlook near Mulholland Drive. It is of great interest to the FBI, since Kent had access to large amounts of
Aug 10, 2012 Adrian rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm always hopeful that there's a mainstream, bestselling author out there who you can really get your teeth into, and from reading this Michael Connelly is a pretty good option. If you're interested in police procedural - or like me US cop shows - then you'll know this terrain. I wanted to investigate Connelly after seeing the film of his 'Lincoln Lawyer', but there's far more to the movie than there is to his writing, which shows it goes both ways in terms of movies and books. The style is alm ...more
I've said it before, you can't go wrong with Michael Connelly, especially when Garry Bosch is involved.
Glenn Rolfe
Aug 02, 2016 Glenn Rolfe rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
review to come.
Mike Patrick
Didn't I already see this as an episode of "24"?
Jane Stewart
Sep 26, 2011 Jane Stewart rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime-mystery
It’s short but still worth reading. I wouldn’t want to miss it. And it has the unexpected which is hard to do.

This isn’t the best in the series, but I’m starting to think I may have been too harsh with some of my 3 stars for previous books in the series. I was tempted to give this 3 stars, but I upped it to 4 because it kept my interest, and because it’s part of a great series. I love Bosch’s instincts and actions. Again he makes other cops and the FBI look not-so-good.

One n
Harv Griffin
Mar 06, 2013 Harv Griffin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed, own
If it's a Harry Bosch novel I want to read it. Actually, I've probably already read it.

pic of my copy of Overlook

3.5 Stars?

For a new writer I'd give this a 4-star, or if I really liked the new writer, maybe even a 5. The writing and plotting is very clean. But for Connelly? I'm sorry, IMHO he was slacking-off in this one. I only read OVERLOOK once, and I'm not going back for a re-read. (view spoiler)

Plot-wise & Action-wise this pup
Sep 21, 2014 Donna rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime-mystery
This was such a short book and I think the book suffered a little because of it. It hurried along like white water rapids, fast and furious. I wish he had spent a little more time in the character development department. It seems like the "Oh no. I'm being framed" plot element is being overworked in a lot of his books. I think it is time to retire that little element in favor of something different.

In spite of the rapid pace of this book, it was typical Connelly. He weaves a great story like no
This was shaping up as a 2 Star rating but nabbed an extra star at the end. Great plot with radioactive materiel stolen, all the alphabet soup of national security agencies horning in on the action and confusion reigns. Harry Bosch and his new partner are in at the beginning, investigating the homicide that starts this one off. Rachel Walling from the FBI shows up again but she really isn't Bosch's buddy in this one. You can read this is a couple of hours (turns out it was a serial magazine stor ...more
Oct 16, 2016 Nathaniel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: hardboiled
This was a short, interesting entry in the Harry Bosch series. Most of the books are about 12-14 hours long (I listen to the audiobook versions), but this one was only 6 hours. Still, it's listed as a regular book on the Wikipedia page instead of a novella or other short-work that sometimes writers of long series do as kind of bonus stories or side projects.

Second, Harry Bosch comes off unusually badly in this book. Not in a way that makes him less likeable as a character or that detracts from t
Lynn Spencer
Not the best of Michael Connelly, but still pretty darn good. This book started out as a serial, and that shows a bit. We get plenty of page-turning action, but the characterizations are a bit thinner than usual and the story just doesn't seem quite as layered - though some of the plot twists are still real whoppers.

The story focuses on the shooting of a doctor who had access to radioactive elements and privileges at a number of hospitals in and around LA. After he is found shot to death and his

I found 'The Overlook' to be a typically comfortable Harry Bosch read; it took me a while to finish it due to other pressing matters--like finishing the Epilogue to 'Black Pearl of Palestine.' Since I base a whole lot of the real Kavanagh's life out of Bel Air, Century City, Burbank Airport, Long Beach and Crestline, it's always tutorial to read Connelly or Crais--who base all of their novels in LA and provide such rich descriptions of scenes and locations. The
It begins with Harry Bosch, newly reassigned to Homicide Division of the LAPD, getting a call from his lieutenant in the middle of the night. A body has been found on the Mulholland overlook. It is a man who had been shot execution-style with two bullets to the back of the head. The body was found next to his car which had its trunk left open. On the floor of the trunk, indentations in the carpet showed that something very heavy and square had been positioned there, but whatever it was is now go ...more
Play Book Tag: The Overlook, Michael Connelly. 4 stars 3 16 Mar 08, 2016 09:57AM
  • Demolition Angel
  • Naked Prey (Lucas Davenport, #14)
  • Compulsion (Alex Delaware, #22)
  • Set in Darkness (Inspector Rebus, #11)
  • A Morning for Flamingos (Dave Robicheaux, #4)
  • Nothing to Lose (Jack Reacher, #12)
Librarian Note: There is more than one author in the Goodreads' database with this name. See this thread for more information.

Michael Connelly decided to become a writer after discovering the books of Raymond Chandler while attending the University of Florida. Once he decided on this direction he chose a major in journalism and a minor in creative writing — a curriculum in which one of his teache
More about Michael Connelly...

Harry Bosch (1 - 10 of 22 books)
  • The Black Echo (Harry Bosch, #1; Harry Bosch Universe, #1)
  • The Black Ice (Harry Bosch, #2; Harry Bosch Universe, #2)
  • The Concrete Blonde (Harry Bosch, #3; Harry Bosch Universe, #3)
  • The Last Coyote (Harry Bosch, #4; Harry Bosch Universe, #4)
  • Trunk Music (Harry Bosch, #5; Harry Bosch Universe, #5)
  • Angels Flight (Harry Bosch, #6; Harry Bosch Universe, #6)
  • A Darkness More Than Night (Harry Bosch, #7; Terry McCaleb, #2; Harry Bosch Universe, #8)
  • City of Bones (Harry Bosch, #8; Harry Bosch Universe, #9)
  • Lost Light (Harry Bosch, #9; Harry Bosch Universe, #10)
  • The Narrows (Harry Bosch, #10; Harry Bosch Universe, #12)

“them. He drank” 0 likes
“In the hallway Bosch switched on the air conditioning in the interview room and set it at sixty-four. It would soon cool off in the room and instead of sweating, Mitford would start to get cold, though - coming from Canada - maybe not. After he chilled for a while Bosch would take another run at him and see if anything new came out. He checked his watch. It was almost five a.m. and the case meeting the feds were organizing was not for another four hours. There was a lot to do but he still had some time to work with Mitford. The first round had been productive. There was no reason for him to think there was nothing more to be gained by a second go at it.” 0 likes