Start by marking “Anthony Adverse, Vols 1-3” as Want to Read:
Anthony Adverse, Vols 1-3

Anthony Adverse, Vols 1-3 (Antonio Adverso #2)

4.01 of 5 stars 4.01  ·  rating details  ·  91 ratings  ·  14 reviews
This handsome tome contains all three volumes of Hervey Allen's epic drama which was made into a highly successful movie with the same title in 1936 (Director: Mervyn LeRoy; Screenplay: Sheridan Gibney).
Published September 28th 2010 by Benediction Classics (first published 1933)

To ask other readers questions about Anthony Adverse, Vols 1-3, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Anthony Adverse, Vols 1-3

Charles
I was looking over the list of books over 800 pages and I remembered reading this book my sophomore year in high school. I remember none of the book, even the summaries only get a hollow jangle of memory bells, but I'll claim the read. My English teacher did not believe I had read the book I reported prior. I said I'd read a book in a night. I asked the librarian for the longest book she knew of and she gave me this title. I did the read that night and made the report the next day.
I'm now read
Vivolyn Keninger
I have read this book as a young woman in the late forties or early fifties. It is one of my all time favorites. Setting of book is England, Farnce and the Americas. Time frame: Perhaps in fifteenth or early sixteenth century. Story centers about an orphan child who had been left at a Convent. In his adult years the story included his many wanderings and dangers as he searched for his roods. This took him throughout Europe, Africa and America. I originally read this book when in my twenties. I r ...more
Denis
A forgotten best-seller from the thirties which is also a wonderful epic. Deserves to be rediscovered. Another book that you can't put down and have to read all night long. If I'm correct, it was the biggest hit of its time until Gone With The Wind arrived and dethroned it from the top of the best-seller lit. It's massive in every way, yet it reads very easily without being badly written at all. Allen certainly possesses a real sense of storytelling.
Chris
I read this gigantic book many years ago while stuck in bed for two weeks. Maybe that's why it made such a lasting impression on me. I truly loved this book. Anthony makes and loses several fortunes and families around the globe until finally reaching the stone in the heart of the tree. You can see it has hugely melodramatic, or you can think about what's really important in life.
Charlie
An historic novel of an orphaned boy who rides the wave of 18th-19th century commerce to success. This book was so well written it may be amoung the best stories I have ever read. It concludes on a spiritual note that huants me to this day.
Katie Lynn
ALREADY I am loving this book and I'm only on page 40!
A lot can change in the next 1160 pages, I'm sure; but I hold out a lot of hope.
It inspires me to voice the thought that occurred to me on a recent trip to the expansive, desert homeland... "like old times, meet me in the orchard at midnight in mid-March. more details to follow. can it be done?" :)

About half way through now and it's not what I expected. Still an enjoyable read, although, I had to smile that the previous owner of this particul
Joy H.
Sep 26, 2011 Joy H. marked it as keep-in-mind
_Anthony Adverse_ Volumes I, II, III, (first published in 1933) (1933 bestseller) (1,224-pages)
by Hervey Allen
Added 9/26/11

9/26/11 - I had always heard of this book, but never knew much about it. Today I watched the last half of the movie adapted from the book on TCM-TV.
IMDb movie: 'Anthony Adverse" (1936)
"In 18th-century Italy, an orphan's debt to the man who raised him threatens to separate him forever from the woman he loves."

Netflix description:
Walter
This novel is a historical adventure set in the years between 1770 and 1820. It is set literally all over the western world including the Spanish colonies of America during the time of Napolean. It is the story of Anthony Adverse, a young man who was the product of an affair between a young French nobleman and the wife of a Spanish nobleman. He is raised in an Italian convent and, when he is a young man, becomes the apprentice of a Scottish merchant in Livorno, Italy. From there, Anthony travels ...more
Evan
It has never taken me so long to finish a book. Clocking in at around 1100 pages, Anthony Adverse is not an easy journey. Mostly because the author writes with a careful precision and you want (and need) to read every, single, word. There is no skimming with this book.

Aside: I am a champion skimmer. I never realized how much until I read a book that simply didn't allow for skimming. It was painful, and I had to apply a discipline I had never needed before and it almost killed me.

But for all the
Donna Keith
A very good book

A very good book

I enjoyed this book very much, except for the fact that it was a little hard to follow, because of the archaic
language. I had to.pay very close attention and had to guess sometimes as to what they were saying.
Kyra
This might deserve five stars, but I am discounting for how long ago I read it. I loved it. It is a big book: big story, big messages -- but lots of action. I may have to reread it so I can raise the rating. I just learned there is a movie and I don't know how I could have missed it since it seems to have Frederic March in it. Must rent immediately. Oh, maybe that's off topic!
Nancy
I checked out this book out because it was scheduled to be removed from the library shelves because it had not been checked out for a long time. I saved it and read it all. It seemed to have a lot of twists and turns in the plot and many novels I subsequently read used similar plots. I liked this book and like really long books.
Karen
This is a fun read - especially for those who enjoy historical fiction. It has swashbuckling action, interesting characters, and provides an interesting perspective on the end of the 1700s / beginning 1800s. As I was reading this I kept thinking about how my grandparents may have read it when they were my age.
Carl
This is one of my favorite adventure books. It starts in Italy, ranges through France and Spain, goes to the West Indies, then Africa, Mexico, and North America. The book covers the entire life-time of a foundling orphan with many adventures, escapes from his enemies, and romances.
Denise
Denise marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2015
Nathan Yack
Nathan Yack marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2015
Onni Stone
Onni Stone marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2015
Barbara A. Northup
Barbara A. Northup marked it as to-read
Jan 19, 2015
SweetLorraine
SweetLorraine marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2015
Shannon Stroobandt
Shannon Stroobandt marked it as to-read
Jan 13, 2015
Maria S
Maria S is currently reading it
Jan 09, 2015
Laura G
Laura G marked it as to-read
Jan 06, 2015
Veronica Sandoval
Veronica Sandoval marked it as to-read
Dec 28, 2014
Will Austin
Will Austin marked it as to-read
Dec 24, 2014
Heidee Culver
Heidee Culver marked it as to-read
Dec 23, 2014
Riff Denbow
Riff Denbow marked it as to-read
Dec 11, 2014
Donna
Donna marked it as to-read
Dec 06, 2014
Scoutaccount
Scoutaccount marked it as to-read
Nov 11, 2014
  • The Promise of American Life
  • We Speak No Treason
  • The Talisman
  • The Irish R. M
  • Chants Democratic: New York City and the Rise of the American Working Class, 1788-1850
  • Virgin Land: The American West as Symbol and Myth
  • The Man Nobody Knows
  • The Search for Order, 1877-1920
  • The Peculiar Institution: Slavery in the Ante-Bellum South
  • Presidential Power and the Modern Presidents: The Politics of Leadership from Roosevelt to Reagan
  • Franklin D. Roosevelt and the New Deal, 1932-1940
  • Waiting for Lefty
Born William Hervey Allen. 1915 University of Pittsburgh graduate. In WWI served as a Lieutenant in the 28th (keystone) Division, US Army and fought in the Aisne-Marne offensive July-August, 1918. He wrote "Toward the Flame" (1926), a nonfictional account of his experiences in the war.

Allen is best known for his work Anthony Adverse, a 1933 bestseller. He also planned a series of novels about colo
More about Hervey Allen...
Toward the Flame: A Memoir of World War I Israfel: The Life and Times of Edgar Allan Poe, Vol 1 The Forest And The Fort: The City In The Dawn The City in the Dawn Bedford Village