Start by marking “Going Home: Jesus and Buddha as Brothers” as Want to Read:
Going Home: Jesus and Buddha as Brothers

Going Home: Jesus and Buddha as Brothers

4.18  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,171 Ratings  ·  64 Reviews
Exiled from Vietnam over thirty years ago, Thich Nhat Hanh has become known as a healer of the heart, a monk who shows us how the everyday world can both enrich and endanger our spiritual lives. In Going Home he shows us the relationship between Buddha and Jesus by presenting a conversation between the two. In this unique way we learn how such concepts as resurrection and ...more
(ebook), 224 pages
Published October 1st 2000 by Penguin Group (USA) (first published January 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Going Home, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Going Home

Madeline
Normally I hate people who scribble in books, but while I was reading this I found myself picking up a pen and underlining parts of the text, because they struck me so deeply.
Here's some of what I underlined:
"If you cannot love man, animals, and plants, I doubt that you can love God. The capacity for loving God depends on your capacity for loving humankind and other species."
"All the adjectives and nouns that we use to describe waves cannot be used to describe God. We can say that this wave is
Jonathan Noe
Apr 12, 2011 Jonathan Noe rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"You love the apple; yes, you are authorized to love the apple, but no one prevents you from also loving the mango."

This is a metaphor. The 'apple' represents your religion or the religion you were born into. For me the apple is Christianity. This shouldn't prevent me from trying new fruits like 'mango' or Buddhism, Hinduism, Islam, Judaism, or Taoism. We should only eat fruit that is healthy for us, and that will increase our compassion, meaning, and joy in this life. It will be different for
Jeff Herman
Nov 28, 2009 Jeff Herman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am not a very religous person but if I were to back one particular religion it would be Buddism. Thich Nhat Hanh looks at all religions and describes well how they all essential blend together. The bottom line is that religion comes down to faith and without faith one has little to guide and push them to do well for themselves and others.
Rick
Nov 01, 2007 Rick rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: freaking EVERYONE
Shelves: spirituality
Most of the books I read more than 2-3 years ago I have only vague memories of. I feel like I just read this one yesterday. It was essentially the sole catalyst for reinvigorating my own faith practice. I cannot explain what a powerful message this is, and the skill with which the author presents it: return to what you know, but most importantly find some sort of practice. In this day and age, growth (spiritual, emotional, or otherwise) is almost impossible without practice. Everything from the ...more
Shea Mastison
Apr 04, 2014 Shea Mastison rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Coming from a vastly different philosophical system, I approached this book with little but a slightly academic understanding of Buddhism. I've studied the basic "scriptures," if one could call them that: namely the Dhammapada and a few of the sutras attributed to the Shakyamuni Buddha and his closest disciples. By no means am I an expert, but I have a familiarity, if you will, with the various schools and practices found within Mahayana and Theravada.

This book seems to be compiled from speeche
Edgar
Feb 14, 2013 Edgar rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an interesting book on comparative religion. While it does not directly compare Buddhism with Christianity, it delves into where the two unite. Thich Nhat Hanh is a Vietnamese Buddhist, whose contemplative nature, gives analysis of the spiritual and what it means to be human. A good read for anyone interested in Religion and Spirituality.
John W
Jan 28, 2008 John W rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
His simple explanations and presentations of buddhist ideas are extremely well done; however, his comparisons with jesus and christian beliefs are somewhat lacking. I feel like there are a lot of comparisons he misses, and some that he makes are off the mark.

Still, an excellent book if solely from a buddhist perspective.
Jesse Markus
I dunno man, this book is cute, I guess. I read it when I was going through a Buddhist phase and was hoping that by reading it I would somehow find some spiritual common ground that I could share with my born-again Christian father. This is a fluffy, feel-good sort of book, but it didn't do a lot for me.
John
Jan 14, 2014 John rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was pleasantly surprised by this book. I read Thich Nhat Hanh's(TNH) other books on Christianity & Buddhism and had found them at first to be a bit simplistic. I now realize that it is a very specific audience that TNH is addressing. He is addressing Western Buddhists who grew up Christian or those who are trying to understand Christianity & Buddhism in terms of practice. He emphasizes that people who grew up Christian and became Buddhists, or attracted to Buddhism, should give Christi ...more
Ben
Nov 25, 2008 Ben rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A companion book to Living Buddha, Living Christ. If Jesus and Buddha were walking and met along the road, what might there discussion be?
The most intelligent and comprehensive outline of the similarities and differences between the two religions I've ever read.
John
May 15, 2013 John rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am very fond of everything I have read by Thich Nhat Hahn, and this work is certainly no exception.

His powerful commentary about the existence of suffering as it pertains to the human condition has really stuck with me.
Jinnie
Feb 07, 2009 Jinnie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: asian-philosophy
I gave all my Thich Nhat Hanh books 5 star ratings, but this is my favorite of Nhat Hanh's books. Beautifully written in a way that glorifies both traditions and denigrates neither.
Grace Kane
I adore all that Thich Nhat Hanh writes...I have also listened to this book (mp3 version)while outside tending my garden for hours...a favorite meditative activity for me:)
Julie
Mar 21, 2011 Julie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A surprisingly humorous read. It's good for stretching your philosophical perspectives.
Marcus
May 25, 2016 Marcus rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: religion
Thich Nhat Hanh is direct and simple in a remarkably profound way. In this book... moreso than "Living Buddha Living Christ" Hanh shows clearly how both traditions are not at odds with each other but have a tremendous amount to teach each other. I know some others within my Christian faith may disagree, but I see so many ways that the practices of Buddhism can actually enhance the Christian seeking to "walk like Jesus." In particular the Buddhist concept of "direct experience" replacing the hold ...more
Chanita.Shannon
Did you know that Jesus meditated? In Living Buddha, Living Christ, Thich Nhat Hanh delivered a powerhouse bestseller about the affinities of Buddhist and Christian ideals. In Going Home, he focuses on fundamental concepts that still drive a wedge between the two religions--such as rebirth vs. eternal life, God vs. nirvana, and so on. After praising the differences between Christianity and Buddhism, Nhat Hanh proceeds to dissolve them in virtuosic style. Not only did Jesus meditate, he says, but ...more
Tyler
Nov 03, 2014 Tyler rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction, 2014
I actually read this book several years, and it deepened my daily practice at that time. I still found it interesting and helpful when I re-read it this year for my church book group. However, I found the structure a little more difficult this time around. It's essentially a collection of dharma talks, and sometimes it feels a little rambling.
Apple
May 07, 2015 Apple rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spiritual
Having being raised as a Christian, and currently an active practitioner of His teachings more so than the religion I was raised in, I do not believe I have heard the Holy Spirit so beautifully described as I did in this book. Leave it to Thây to bring more beauty and understanding to things you thought you knew.
Anne
My only problem with this book is that the author assumes the reader knows what the jargon means. He refers to the Dharma, Sangha, etc and if the reader doesn't know what they mean then it will slow down if not discourage the reader.
Basically Dharma means the Buddhist teachings and Sangha means a community/congregation/group.
Lyla
Aug 23, 2014 Lyla rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
A wonderful and inspiring book encouraging and inclusive. I appreciate Thay's openness and ability to embrace Jesus as a teacher and spiritual pillar of the Christian faith.

I will re-read this book and probably gain fresh insights the next time through.
Meredith
Feb 17, 2015 Meredith rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love Thich Nhat Hanh's open discussion of the two religions. He makes it easy to see the similarities in both and the value in both. This book gave me a new perspective with which to see the world. A perfect way to start the new year.
Lora
Oct 01, 2014 Lora rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone; the lost, the lonely, the wanderer, the Buddhist, the Christian,... everyone and anyone
This book is pretty amazing! It is practical, but more than that it blends two seemingly dispirit faiths and religious figures. It is something everyone should read and think about, and maybe wars and violence would be greatly reduced.
Yukio Flexfactor
Profound insight into the depth of life. Easy to read easy to understand. Clear formulations which are as effective as bewondering. It reached for my soul and impressed deeply.
Jimmy
Aug 06, 2013 Jimmy rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: atheism
Spoiler: We are all like waves in the ocean. There. Now you don't have to waste your time reading the book.

Here's a quote from the book: "Scientists agree that there is no birth and no death of anything." That conclusion is based on this quote from the French "scientist" Lavoisier: "Nothing is created and nothing dies." In reality, he was a chemist who lived in the 1700s. How does he earn speaking for all of science.

Lin Chi once said, "If you meet the Buddha on the road, kill him." So if you d
Mark Stevens, ThD
Jun 12, 2014 Mark Stevens, ThD rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Even though I am a Christian I love Thich Nhat Hanh's books and his insight into the life of Jesus Christ.
Milo
Nov 18, 2015 Milo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Extremely profound.
Even without being raised in either tradition discussed here, I still took a lot away from this book.
Jason Short
Good read, but not his best work imho.
Tine!
May 13, 2016 Tine! rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hansel, so relevant right now
Tomek
Dec 25, 2014 Tomek rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 Stars: I read this after Living Buddha, Living Christ. I will say that this one was not quite as good. I felt as though there was a lot of repetition both from his previous book and within this book. Some of the concepts were not quite as clearly explained as the other one, but it still raised a few new questions regarding my practice, which is, I suppose, really what one can hope for...
Kat
Aug 21, 2008 Kat rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is amazing. As usual Thich Nhat Hanh manages to express spiritual insights in such a simple, gentle way that has an overall message of unity and love. His words on mindfulness are inspirational, and I believe every Christian should read this text to understand the great similarities he reveals between its faith and Buddhism, as Jesus and Buddha surely would have walked as brothers.
  • Jesus and Buddha: The Parallel Sayings
  • God and Empire: Jesus Against Rome, Then and Now
  • Buddhism: A Concise Introduction
  • Without Buddha I Could not be a Christian
  • Spiritual Literacy: Reading the Sacred in Everyday Life
  • The Jesus Sutras: Rediscovering the Lost Scrolls of Taoist Christianity
  • Practicing Peace in Times of War
  • The Good Heart: A Buddhist Perspective on the Teachings of Jesus
  • A Christianity Worth Believing: Hope-Filled, Open-Armed, Alive-And-Well Faith for the Left Out, Left Behind, and Let Down in Us All
  • Letting Go of the Person You Used to Be: Lessons on Change, Loss, and Spiritual Transformation
  • Teachings of the Buddha
  • The Coming of the Cosmic Christ
  • The Five Gospels: What Did Jesus Really Say? The Search for the Authentic Words of Jesus
  • The Scandalous Gospel of Jesus: What's So Good about the Good News?
  • The Secrets of Judas: The Story of the Misunderstood Disciple & His Lost Gospel
  • Jesus Through Pagan Eyes: Bridging Neopagan Perspectives with a Progressive Vision of Christ
  • The Fundamental Wisdom of the Middle Way: Nāgārjuna's Mūlamadhyamakakārikā
  • Mystics and Zen Masters
More about Thich Nhat Hanh...

“It is said that God has created man in his own image. But it may be that humankind has created God in the image of humankind.” 172 likes
“Thanks to impermanence, everything is possible.” 151 likes