Dragons of Autumn Twilight: Chronicles, Volume One

Dragons of Autumn Twilight: Chronicles, Volume One (Dragonlance: Chronicles #1)

4.04 of 5 stars 4.04  ·  rating details  ·  42,571 ratings  ·  927 reviews
Lifelong friends, they went their separate ways. Now they are together again, though each holds secrets from the others in his heart. They speak of a world shadowed with rumors of war. They speak of tales of strange monsters, creatures of myth, creatures of legend. They do not speak of their secrets. Not then. Not until a chance encounter with a beautiful, sorrowful woman,...more
Published December 21st 2010 by Wizards of the Coast (first published 1984)

Kevin
Jun 07, 2007 Kevin rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: Fantasy Geeks
Shelves: fantasy
Dragonlance was the first fantasy novel series I ever read so it holds a special place in my heart. The Chronicles Trilogy was the first in a series of 10 core books. There are probably well over a 100 books set in the Dragonlance world but these are the ones you need to read.

Chroncicles Trilogy:
Transitions to next generation:
Dragons of Summer Flame

The War o...more
CJ
Someone played a dungeons and dragons game (which is based heavily on Tolkien's books) and then decided to write down what their characters did and publish it. And while dungeons and dragons is great fun for those playing it, everyone has had to suffer through players who labor under the mistaken impression that their adventures are just as interesting to everyone else as they are to the player...

"So then, like, you know, this Orc came out of the weapons room but I rolled a 20 and I threw my +5...more
Graeme
I first read this book about the time it came out, when I was about 10 or 11... and recently found an identical, battered paperback copy at a thrift store. Dipping back into it twenty-odd years later, it has many shortcomings. However, it still takes me back to that time when I'd read under the covers at night with a dying flashlight, and fell asleep dreaming of wizards, warriors and strange, forgotten lands.
Jonathan Cullen
Feb 10, 2011 Jonathan Cullen rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: kids
Wow (not a good wow). I just read some of these reviews and ratings. I have to raise my hand and be the voice of reason. The public deserves this.

Let's get something straight here: these books are unreadable for anyone older than 15. I love fantasy and I don't have an issue with the world building or the story here. In my reviews, I sometimes excuse poor writing, characterization and other literary elements when the author does other things extremely well. Most novels have multiple flaws and the...more
Jason Koivu
Great start to an all-time classic fantasy series!

I loved the colorful characters and fast-moving plot based on an interesting story line of reunited friends with secrets and a mysterious (and gorgeous, of course) stranger who drew them into danger and excitement.

The negatives were mere niggling at best, however they did exist. I was about 13 or 14 years old when I read Dragons of Autumn Twilight and even then I knew Weis was leaning a little too heavily on stock phrases: the same emotion is d...more
Matt
Jun 01, 2008 Matt rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Matt by: Kelly
The first half of the book leaves a lot to be desired, and Weis & Hickman try to cram way too many characters into the story (leaving many of them pretty under-developed and one-dimensional). That said, it really picks up near the end, and left me wanting to jump into the next book in the series. The reason I got into the book in the first place was because I was in the mood for dragons, and Dragons of Autumn Twilight does not disappoint.
Stephen
4.0 stars. I did not go into this book with very high expectations thinking is was going to be a little cheesy. Wrong again. I really enjoyed this and thought it was a ton of fun. Great world-building, excellent characters and a fast-paced, non-stop plot. Call it fantasy comfort food, but call it very good.
Lowed
Five years has passed. Five long years since they have seen each other. They have decided to split up before to search for their truth. The story behind the Cataclysm. The story behind why the Gods abandoned the land, leaving men in utter confusion and cloaked in darkness.

Tanis Half-Elven (leader of the companions), Sturm Brightblade(an honorable knight), Caramon Majere, (twin brother- the mage) Raistlin Majere, Flint Fireforge, and Tasslehoff Burrfoot (my favorite character) were among the maj...more
Jeff LaSala
This is fantasy at some of its best. Not only is this the first book in a wonderful saga, some of its characters are enduring and captivating, still memorable so many years later. Even though it wasn't written to be YA fiction, it's an easy fit for young readers. Dragons of Autumn Twilight is what all YA fiction should strive to be like. Morally uplifting and evocative.
SilverPen Pub
A few weeks ago, I was facing the prospect of the end of the spring semester and the approach of summer. The heady realization broke over me that I would be free to read something I wanted to read, rather than something for class, and as I dug through my memory of what we owned that I would like to read, a lightbulb fired above my head. I wanted to return to the DragonLance Saga, books that had practically raised me, teaching me the difference between good and evil, my moral code, and a great ma...more
Graham
The early 1990s was a great time for me. I was 10/11 years old and I adored everything fantasy: CHRONICLES OF NARNIA (the BBC version) on TV along with the DUNGEONS & DRAGONS cartoon and KNIGHTMARE. I'd just finished reading LORD OF THE RINGS and I was eager for more fantasy. So I found the Dragonlance Chronicles and I was hooked - I read loads of them.

In recent years I've been intrigued to find out what I'd think of these books as an adult, so I re-purchased them. Unfortunately, I've been d...more
Brad
I love this story; I love the whole series and the follow up series, but I really can't stand Tanis Half-Elven, which is a bit strange since he is sort of the default hero of the Chronicles, and certainly the main character in book one.

Dragons of Autumn Twilight opens with Tanis coming home to Solace after five years away in a fruitless search for evidence of the old gods. It doesn't take long for us to get our first dose of Tanis' incessant doubt and self-pity, which are the basis of my Tanis h...more
Monica
This was one of the first fantasy books I ever read, and I believe I was about 15 the first time I read it. It is a great introduction to fantasy, and is perfect for a young adult who has never read fantasy before. For those of you who are fans of the grimdark, and are seasoned fantasy fans, either you've already read this, or this book probably isn't for you.
Chris
Every so often I do this to myself. I pick up an old, "classic" High Fantasy novel because I think it "will be fun" and a throwback to being in middle-school, and then about 100 pages in I can't do it any more. The prose is wooden, the characters cringe-worthy cliches . . . and I still have 800 pages to go. Dear god, when there are so many good books out there, how can I possibly slavishly force my through one of these? These books also remind me that I shouldn't be such a snob by only having a...more
Olethros
-En su propuesta, que engloba muchas cosas, un hito.-

Género. Narrativa Fantástica.

Lo que nos cuenta. Un grupo de aventureros de diferentes razas y orígenes une sus fuerzas contra el mal… sí, bueno, podría ser más preciso en cuanto a las razones, los motivos, pero en realidad para qué… Primer libro de la saga Dragonlance y primer libro de la trilogía Crónicas de la Dragonlance.

¿Quiere saber más de este libro, sin spoilers? Visite:

Patrick
I last read this book in Junior High, and fondly remembered the Dragonlance novels as epic fantasy set in a D&D-inspired world. I was feeling nostalgic lately, and decided to pick it up again and see how it held up.

Not well.

While the plot is as I remember, and does indeed have an epic scope with some interesting ideas, it's mainly full of standard fantasy tropes like the outcast half-elf, the stupid warrior, the weak wizard, the journey through the haunted forest, the flight from a destroyed...more
Julie (Mom2lnb)
Feb 21, 2011 Julie (Mom2lnb) rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: Fans of Epic Fantasy, LOTR
Reviewed for THC Reviews
"4.5 stars" Over the years, I've read some fantasy romance, but I can't say that I've read much in the way of straight epic fantasy. This happens to be one of my husband's favorite genres, and Dragonlance, one of his favorite series. He has been trying to talk me into reading them for years, and I finally acquiesced to his prodding when I needed a dragon-themed book for two reading challenges in which I was participating. I had previously tried one of Weis & Hickman's...more
Curtis Westman
When I was nine years old, I wrote a short story about an elf and a mage traversing an imaginary world and banishing evil back to the depths from whence it came. I was proud of the story. I showed it to my family and they read it, and pretended it was great. They put it on the fridge.

I reread the story years later and it was a difficult decision whether I should laugh or whether the embarrassment was too much even for hysterics. I thought fantasy fiction had a formula that alternated between a s...more
Greg
So, I read this book when I was about 13 and thought it was really great. If possible, I was an even bigger nerd then than I am now. If possible. So, feeling nostalgic, I thought I would pick this up and check it out, to see how it stood the test of time. Clearly, this is nerdy Dungeons and Dragons stuff, but I figured, what the hey?

Well, let me tell you, this is book is terrible and great all at the same time. The writing here is bad--real bad. The dialogue is often painful (Lucas-esque love d...more
Hope
Dru
This will be my same review for all 7 books in the original double-trilogy (plus the 7th add on years later).

There are few D&D novelizations out there that are really worth reading. Only two series have I loved, and the original 6 (became 7) "Dragonlance" novels are one of those great series. (Gord the Rogue is the other).

At first when I read this, I was a bit put off because the "Krynn" world did not "agree" with D&D. The gods had different names (Bahamut = Paladine, Tiamut = Takhesis)...more
Staccato
I would say this book is more of a guilty pleasure than an outstanding read. The authors have (whether knowingly or not) written a story with all the cheesily cliche elements of a fantasy story, while also falling into the trap of unnecessarily over-describing as is often characteristic of the genre. Even so, I gave the book three stars because it retains the ability to hook the reader.

The characters of the book, however stereotypical they may be, are interesting enough to make you care about w...more
Rachael Hewison
My poor bookcase is on the verge of bursting so I thought it was time I got rid of some my older books. As I have always had a bit of a love/hate relationship with fantasy, I thought I could get rid of one of my fantasy books that has been sitting there for years unread. Unfortunately on completion I have to begrudgingly put it back on the shelf as I absolutely loved it.
The problem I have with some fantasy writers is that they can fall into the trap of writing essentially a chronology of their w...more
Traci
Tanis, Flint, Tas, Caramon, Raistlin, Tika, Goldmoon, Riverwind, Sturm,....names that seem like old friends. Actually they are easier to remember than some of the friends I had back when I read this for the first time. Both the Chronicles and Legends books are too much a part of who I am to rate them fairly. This is where my love of fantasy came from. And to this day when I think of fantasy this is still what I think of. Is it perfect? No. Is it great writing? Nope. Did your favorite movie sweep...more
Tarık
Ne olacak benim bu büyücü fetişistliğim? Hayır erkek, kız, genç, yaşlı, güzel, çirkin demeden hepsine dibim düşüyor. Neyse ki kitap karakteri hepsi gerçi keşke gerçek olsalardı. Raistlin! Tuttum seni oğlum. Senin yerinde olsam bende savaş kılıçları yerine tamamen büyüye yönelirdim. Lakin Caramon'a da azıcık güleryüz göster be yazık o kadar düşünüyor seni ikizin sonuçta hep cool ve bilge takılmak zorunda değilsin. You're a freak bitch baby :). Bak Bupu'da katı maskeni çıkardın mesela. Bupu demişk...more
Kat
I have no idea how to rate this: 5 stars for nostalgia, 2 for actual quality, which averages to ... 3.5? So we round up to 4. Okay, done!

When I was twelve, I read an epic adventure with dragons and ancient gods, with richly-drawn characters struggling against dreadful foes and inner demons. I didn't notice the clunky writing, the cliches, the way the characters were actually barely more than archetypes cribbed from Tolkien and Campbell.

But you know, clunks and cliches aside, there's still a lot...more
Sercan
muhteşem bi fantastik seriye başlamışım iyiki de başladım soluksuz okudum devam kitaplarını da en kısa sürede okurum inşallah uzun bi seri olması başka bi avantajı. bu fantastik dünyadan uzun süre çıkmayacağım yani
James
I remember buying this book more trhough the fact that Legends was 50p more expensive and I didn't have the extra 50p in my pocket. That was very lucky as of course the Chronicles are before the Legends trilogy. I had read the Lord of the Rings and wanted to find a new fantasy novel to read. I was starting to really get into AD&D at this point and so thought I would give it a go. This was one of the best decisions I ever made.

The book is well written and it opens with the main characters ret...more
Steven Cole
There's been so much hoo-haw about Dragonlance recently, that I figured I'd finally grab a copy and see what the fuss is about.

Now, granted, the very first book written was probably not the *best* choice, seeing as the authors were just getting themselves wrapped around the novelization of a D&D adventure, but it was the start of the saga, so it did seem like the right place to begin.

But the book has trouble. It's got way too many characters in it to be anything more than a plot-driven story...more
Jess
This book was written one year before I was born. Roughly 15 years later my English teacher said to me "Oh, you like fantasy books? You're gonna love this one" as he handed me a battered copy of the Chronicles. Since I devoured fantasy/sci fi books at the time as if they were sustenance, I immediately dove into the book. As I recall I was absolutely enthralled and within a few short days I had read the entire Chronicles, and I needed more. So it began that I tore my way through the series.

Now, a...more
2nd Period Langua...: Tony's Book 2 2 6 Mar 27, 2014 09:12PM
Is this apart of Dungeons And Dragons or is it an orignal fantasy work? 4 32 Jan 29, 2014 08:15AM
Dragonlance Chronicles 6 48 Dec 07, 2013 01:30PM
Sci-fi and Heroic...: Dragons of Autumn Twilight 37 104 Jul 19, 2013 06:45AM
Houston,Tx Sci-Fi/Fantasy Con 1 17 May 23, 2013 10:42AM
Magic & Metal...: Dragonlance 9 13 Aug 14, 2012 11:55AM
  • The Legend of Huma (Dragonlance: Heroes, #1)
  • Firstborn (Dragonlance:  Elven Nations, #1)
  • The Kinslayer Wars (Dragonlance: Elven Nations, #2)
  • Brothers Majere (Dragonlance: Preludes, #3)
  • Dalamar the Dark (Dragonlance: Classics, #2)
  • Wanderlust (Dragonlance: Meetings Sextet, #2)
  • The Oath and the Measure (Dragonlance: Meetings Sextet, #4)
  • Tanis, the Shadow Years (Dragonlance: Preludes  #6; Preludes II, #3)
  • The Companions (Dragonlance: Meetings Sextet, #6)
  • Sanctuary (Dragonlance: Elven Exiles, #1)
  • Steel and Stone (Dragonlance: Meetings Sextet, #5)
  • The Covenant of the Forge (Dragonlance: Dwarven Nations, #1)
  • Exile (Forgotten Realms: The Dark Elf Trilogy, #2; Legend of Drizzt, #2)
Fantasy novelist who, along with Tracy Hickman, was one of the original creators of the Dragonlance game world. I've written numerous novels and short stories set in the world of Krynn, as well as series in other, original worlds. These include: Darksword, Rose of the Prophet, Star of the Guardians, DeathGate, Dragonvarld, Sovereign Stone, Dragonships, and the Dragon Brigade. I also wrote two para...more
More about Margaret Weis...
Dragons of Spring Dawning (Dragonlance: Chronicles, #3) Dragons of Winter Night (Dragonlance: Chronicles, #2) Time of the Twins (Dragonlance: Legends, #1) War of the Twins (Dragonlance: Legends, #2) Test of the Twins (Dragonlance: Legends, #3)

“Est sularus oth mithas” 17 likes
“Well! I had the most fantastic dream! Trees crying blood. Horrible dead elves going around and killing people! Raistlin wearing black robes! It was the most incredible thing! And you were there, Sturm. Laurana and Flint. And everyone died! Well, almost everyone. Raistlin didn't. And there was a green dragon-'
Tasslehoff stopped. What was wrong with his friends? Their faces were pale, their eyes wide.”
16 likes