Start by marking “Dragons of Autumn Twilight: Chronicles, Volume One” as Want to Read:
Dragons of Autumn Twilight: Chronicles, Volume One

Dragons of Autumn Twilight: Chronicles, Volume One (Dragonlance: Chronicles #1)

4.04 of 5 stars 4.04  ·  rating details  ·  49,730 ratings  ·  1,042 reviews
Lifelong friends, they went their separate ways. Now they are together again, though each holds secrets from the others in his heart. They speak of a world shadowed with rumors of war. They speak of tales of strange monsters, creatures of myth, creatures of legend. They do not speak of their secrets. Not then. Not until a chance encounter with a beautiful, sorrowful woman, ...more
Published December 21st 2010 by Wizards of the Coast (first published November 24th 1984)

To ask other readers questions about Dragons of Autumn Twilight, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dragons of Autumn Twilight

Kevin
Jun 07, 2007 Kevin rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fantasy Geeks
Shelves: fantasy
Dragonlance was the first fantasy novel series I ever read so it holds a special place in my heart. The Chronicles Trilogy was the first in a series of 10 core books. There are probably well over a 100 books set in the Dragonlance world but these are the ones you need to read.

Chroncicles Trilogy:
Transitions to next generation:
Dragons of Summer Flame

The War o
CJ
Someone played a dungeons and dragons game (which is based heavily on Tolkien's books) and then decided to write down what their characters did and publish it. And while dungeons and dragons is great fun for those playing it, everyone has had to suffer through players who labor under the mistaken impression that their adventures are just as interesting to everyone else as they are to the player...

"So then, like, you know, this Orc came out of the weapons room but I rolled a 20 and I threw my +5
Graeme
I first read this book about the time it came out, when I was about 10 or 11... and recently found an identical, battered paperback copy at a thrift store. Dipping back into it twenty-odd years later, it has many shortcomings. However, it still takes me back to that time when I'd read under the covers at night with a dying flashlight, and fell asleep dreaming of wizards, warriors and strange, forgotten lands.
Jonathan Cullen
Feb 10, 2011 Jonathan Cullen rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: kids
Wow (not a good wow). I just read some of these reviews and ratings. I have to raise my hand and be the voice of reason. The public deserves this.

Let's get something straight here: these books are unreadable for anyone older than 15. I love fantasy and I don't have an issue with the world building or the story here. In my reviews, I sometimes excuse poor writing, characterization and other literary elements when the author does other things extremely well. Most novels have multiple flaws and the
Jason Koivu
Great start to an all-time classic fantasy series!

I loved the colorful characters and fast-moving plot based on an interesting story line of reunited friends with secrets and a mysterious (and gorgeous, of course) stranger who drew them into danger and excitement.

The negatives were mere niggling at best, however they did exist. I was about 13 or 14 years old when I read Dragons of Autumn Twilight and even then I knew Weis was leaning a little too heavily on stock phrases: the same emotion is d
Matt
Jun 01, 2008 Matt rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Matt by: Kelly
The first half of the book leaves a lot to be desired, and Weis & Hickman try to cram way too many characters into the story (leaving many of them pretty under-developed and one-dimensional). That said, it really picks up near the end, and left me wanting to jump into the next book in the series. The reason I got into the book in the first place was because I was in the mood for dragons, and Dragons of Autumn Twilight does not disappoint.
Stephen
4.0 stars. I did not go into this book with very high expectations thinking is was going to be a little cheesy. Wrong again. I really enjoyed this and thought it was a ton of fun. Great world-building, excellent characters and a fast-paced, non-stop plot. Call it fantasy comfort food, but call it very good.
Lowed
Five years has passed. Five long years since they have seen each other. They have decided to split up before to search for their truth. The story behind the Cataclysm. The story behind why the Gods abandoned the land, leaving men in utter confusion and cloaked in darkness.

Tanis Half-Elven (leader of the companions), Sturm Brightblade(an honorable knight), Caramon Majere, (twin brother- the mage) Raistlin Majere, Flint Fireforge, and Tasslehoff Burrfoot (my favorite character) were among the maj
Chris
Every so often I do this to myself. I pick up an old, "classic" High Fantasy novel because I think it "will be fun" and a throwback to being in middle-school, and then about 100 pages in I can't do it any more. The prose is wooden, the characters cringe-worthy cliches . . . and I still have 800 pages to go. Dear god, when there are so many good books out there, how can I possibly slavishly force my through one of these? These books also remind me that I shouldn't be such a snob by only having a ...more
Joseph
Autumn, 1984, my junior year in high school. I finished collecting for my paper route, then walked down to Main Street to the Hobby Shop (the only source at that point for D&D materials in my hometown). There on the rack, in front of a bunch of random adventure modules, was a red paperback book with a lovely Larry Elmore cover (not that I knew who he was by name, but I'm sure I recognized his art style from previous issues of Dragon magazine, or work in other D&D supplements and the like ...more
SilverPen Pub
A few weeks ago, I was facing the prospect of the end of the spring semester and the approach of summer. The heady realization broke over me that I would be free to read something I wanted to read, rather than something for class, and as I dug through my memory of what we owned that I would like to read, a lightbulb fired above my head. I wanted to return to the DragonLance Saga, books that had practically raised me, teaching me the difference between good and evil, my moral code, and a great ma ...more
Curtis Westman
When I was nine years old, I wrote a short story about an elf and a mage traversing an imaginary world and banishing evil back to the depths from whence it came. I was proud of the story. I showed it to my family and they read it, and pretended it was great. They put it on the fridge.

I reread the story years later and it was a difficult decision whether I should laugh or whether the embarrassment was too much even for hysterics. I thought fantasy fiction had a formula that alternated between a s
Jeff LaSala
This is fantasy at some of its best. Not only is this the first book in a wonderful saga, some of its characters are enduring and captivating, still memorable so many years later. Even though it wasn't written to be YA fiction, it's an easy fit for young readers. Dragons of Autumn Twilight is what all YA fiction should strive to be like. Morally uplifting and evocative.
Patrick
I last read this book in Junior High, and fondly remembered the Dragonlance novels as epic fantasy set in a D&D-inspired world. I was feeling nostalgic lately, and decided to pick it up again and see how it held up.

Not well.

While the plot is as I remember, and does indeed have an epic scope with some interesting ideas, it's mainly full of standard fantasy tropes like the outcast half-elf, the stupid warrior, the weak wizard, the journey through the haunted forest, the flight from a destroyed
Graham
The early 1990s was a great time for me. I was 10/11 years old and I adored everything fantasy: CHRONICLES OF NARNIA (the BBC version) on TV along with the DUNGEONS & DRAGONS cartoon and KNIGHTMARE. I'd just finished reading LORD OF THE RINGS and I was eager for more fantasy. So I found the Dragonlance Chronicles and I was hooked - I read loads of them.

In recent years I've been intrigued to find out what I'd think of these books as an adult, so I re-purchased them. Unfortunately, I've been d
Brad
I love this story; I love the whole series and the follow up series, but I really can't stand Tanis Half-Elven, which is a bit strange since he is sort of the default hero of the Chronicles, and certainly the main character in book one.

Dragons of Autumn Twilight opens with Tanis coming home to Solace after five years away in a fruitless search for evidence of the old gods. It doesn't take long for us to get our first dose of Tanis' incessant doubt and self-pity, which are the basis of my Tanis h
Monica
This was one of the first fantasy books I ever read, and I believe I was about 15 the first time I read it. It is a great introduction to fantasy, and is perfect for a young adult who has never read fantasy before. For those of you who are fans of the grimdark, and are seasoned fantasy fans, either you've already read this, or this book probably isn't for you.
Olethros
-En su propuesta, que engloba muchas cosas, un hito.-

Género. Narrativa Fantástica.

Lo que nos cuenta. Un grupo de aventureros de diferentes razas y orígenes une sus fuerzas contra el mal… sí, bueno, podría ser más preciso en cuanto a las razones, los motivos, pero en realidad para qué… Primer libro de la saga Dragonlance y primer libro de la trilogía Crónicas de la Dragonlance.

¿Quiere saber más de este libro, sin spoilers? Visite:

Julianna
Feb 21, 2011 Julianna rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Epic Fantasy, LOTR
Reviewed for THC Reviews
"4.5 stars" Over the years, I've read some fantasy romance, but I can't say that I've read much in the way of straight epic fantasy. This happens to be one of my husband's favorite genres, and Dragonlance, one of his favorite series. He has been trying to talk me into reading them for years, and I finally acquiesced to his prodding when I needed a dragon-themed book for two reading challenges in which I was participating. I had previously tried one of Weis & Hickman's
Greg
So, I read this book when I was about 13 and thought it was really great. If possible, I was an even bigger nerd then than I am now. If possible. So, feeling nostalgic, I thought I would pick this up and check it out, to see how it stood the test of time. Clearly, this is nerdy Dungeons and Dragons stuff, but I figured, what the hey?

Well, let me tell you, this is book is terrible and great all at the same time. The writing here is bad--real bad. The dialogue is often painful (Lucas-esque love d
Hope
Dru
This will be my same review for all 7 books in the original double-trilogy (plus the 7th add on years later).

There are few D&D novelizations out there that are really worth reading. Only two series have I loved, and the original 6 (became 7) "Dragonlance" novels are one of those great series. (Gord the Rogue is the other).

At first when I read this, I was a bit put off because the "Krynn" world did not "agree" with D&D. The gods had different names (Bahamut = Paladine, Tiamut = Takhesis)
Staccato
I would say this book is more of a guilty pleasure than an outstanding read. The authors have (whether knowingly or not) written a story with all the cheesily cliche elements of a fantasy story, while also falling into the trap of unnecessarily over-describing as is often characteristic of the genre. Even so, I gave the book three stars because it retains the ability to hook the reader.

The characters of the book, however stereotypical they may be, are interesting enough to make you care about w
Elsea Flemyng
I ate this books up when I was younger, unfortunately that was before I understand what good literature was. Looking back on these they are bad, like really, really abysmally bad. Like - it makes me sad that I wasted so much time reading these when there are other books that are clearly so much better out there - kind of bad.

So, if you are considering reading this book, I beg you please try one of these firsts. They have all of the fantasy, and action and magic you could hope for, plus they are
Rachael Hewison
My poor bookcase is on the verge of bursting so I thought it was time I got rid of some my older books. As I have always had a bit of a love/hate relationship with fantasy, I thought I could get rid of one of my fantasy books that has been sitting there for years unread. Unfortunately on completion I have to begrudgingly put it back on the shelf as I absolutely loved it.
The problem I have with some fantasy writers is that they can fall into the trap of writing essentially a chronology of their w
Traci
Tanis, Flint, Tas, Caramon, Raistlin, Tika, Goldmoon, Riverwind, Sturm,....names that seem like old friends. Actually they are easier to remember than some of the friends I had back when I read this for the first time. Both the Chronicles and Legends books are too much a part of who I am to rate them fairly. This is where my love of fantasy came from. And to this day when I think of fantasy this is still what I think of. Is it perfect? No. Is it great writing? Nope. Did your favorite movie sweep ...more
Tarık
Ne olacak benim bu büyücü fetişistliğim? Hayır erkek, kız, genç, yaşlı, güzel, çirkin demeden hepsine dibim düşüyor. Neyse ki kitap karakteri hepsi gerçi keşke gerçek olsalardı. Raistlin! Tuttum seni oğlum. Senin yerinde olsam bende savaş kılıçları yerine tamamen büyüye yönelirdim. Lakin Caramon'a da azıcık güleryüz göster be yazık o kadar düşünüyor seni ikizin sonuçta hep cool ve bilge takılmak zorunda değilsin. You're a freak bitch baby :). Bak Bupu'da katı maskeni çıkardın mesela. Bupu demişk ...more
Kat
I have no idea how to rate this: 5 stars for nostalgia, 2 for actual quality, which averages to ... 3.5? So we round up to 4. Okay, done!

When I was twelve, I read an epic adventure with dragons and ancient gods, with richly-drawn characters struggling against dreadful foes and inner demons. I didn't notice the clunky writing, the cliches, the way the characters were actually barely more than archetypes cribbed from Tolkien and Campbell.

But you know, clunks and cliches aside, there's still a lot
Micah Jaffe
I did a bad thing. I re-read a book I read in my formative years much, much later. It disappointed. Badly.

I loved this book so much when I first read it. 5 stars, easily. Was all I could talk about to anyone.

Sadly, this precious memory didn't hold a second time through years down the line. What don't I like? Characters: one dimension - every one of them you can ascribe a single drive. Tanis: brooding. Tasslehoff: mischievous. The dwarf-what-his-name: ripped-off-Gimli. Raistlin: lip-curling villa
Kristina Juhl
It's been years, nay, decades, since I read this book. I've been reading the other reviews here and it's a shame that a number of them give it a low rating now, despite the fact that it may have been one of the books that got them hooked into the fantasy genre in the first place.

I really loved the Dragonlance Chronicles when I read them.

I enjoyed the characters. So what if it's somewhat cliched?

I recall hating Raistlin, and I never understood why his brother was always so patient.
I remember al
Is this apart of Dungeons And Dragons or is it an orignal fantasy work? 16 72 Jul 22, 2014 09:10PM
2nd Period Langua...: Tony's Book 2 2 6 Mar 27, 2014 09:12PM
Dragonlance Chronicles 6 53 Dec 07, 2013 01:30PM
Sci-fi and Heroic...: Dragons of Autumn Twilight 37 110 Jul 19, 2013 06:45AM
Houston,Tx Sci-Fi/Fantasy Con 1 18 May 23, 2013 10:42AM
Magic & Metal...: Dragonlance 9 14 Aug 14, 2012 11:55AM
  • Wanderlust (Dragonlance: Meetings Sextet, #2)
  • Firstborn (Dragonlance:  Elven Nations, #1)
  • The Kinslayer Wars (Dragonlance: Elven Nations, #2)
  • The Legend of Huma (Dragonlance: Heroes, #1)
  • Stormblade (Dragonlance: Heroes, #2)
  • The Companions (Dragonlance: Meetings Sextet, #6)
  • The Gates of Thorbardin (Dragonlance: Heroes, #5) (Heroes II, #2)
  • Brothers Majere (Dragonlance: Preludes, #3)
  • Kindred Spirits (Dragonlance: Meetings Sextet, #1)
  • Steel and Stone (Dragonlance: Meetings Sextet, #5)
  • The Oath and the Measure (Dragonlance: Meetings Sextet, #4)
Fantasy novelist who, along with Tracy Hickman, was one of the original creators of the Dragonlance game world. I've written numerous novels and short stories set in the world of Krynn, as well as series in other, original worlds. These include: Darksword, Rose of the Prophet, Star of the Guardians, DeathGate, Dragonvarld, Sovereign Stone, Dragonships, and the Dragon Brigade. I also wrote two para ...more
More about Margaret Weis...
Dragons of Spring Dawning (Dragonlance: Chronicles, #3) Dragons of Winter Night (Dragonlance: Chronicles, #2) Time of the Twins (Dragonlance: Legends, #1) War of the Twins (Dragonlance: Legends, #2) Test of the Twins (Dragonlance: Legends, #3)

“Well! I had the most fantastic dream! Trees crying blood. Horrible dead elves going around and killing people! Raistlin wearing black robes! It was the most incredible thing! And you were there, Sturm. Laurana and Flint. And everyone died! Well, almost everyone. Raistlin didn't. And there was a green dragon-'
Tasslehoff stopped. What was wrong with his friends? Their faces were pale, their eyes wide.”
16 likes
“You know," he said with unusual somberness, "I asked my father once why kenders were little, why we weren't big like humans and elves. I really wanted to be big," he said softly and for a moment he was quiet.
"What did your father say?" asked Fizban gently.
"He said kenders were small because we were meant to do small things. 'If you look at all the big things in the world closely,' he said, 'you'll see that they're really made up of small things all joined together.' That big dragon down there comes to nothing but tiny drops of blood, maybe. It's the small things that make the difference.”
10 likes