Start by marking “Caffeine Blues: Wake Up to the Hidden Dangers of America's #1 Drug” as Want to Read:
Caffeine Blues: Wake Up to the Hidden Dangers of America's #1 Drug

Caffeine Blues: Wake Up to the Hidden Dangers of America's #1 Drug

3.77 of 5 stars 3.77  ·  rating details  ·  99 ratings  ·  21 reviews
Pulls together all the latest research & details the full scope of caffeine's detrimental effect on our physical, mental & emotional well being.
Published November 15th 2008 by Grand Central Publishing (first published December 1st 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Caffeine Blues, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Caffeine Blues

WereBear
This book will "open your eyes" about what we've been doing to ourselves with that morning indulgence! This well-researched and well-reasoned book methodically goes through all the reasons caffeine is far from harmless. And he also debunks the myth of moderation. How can we moderate our intake when corporations put caffeine in all kinds of things, like chocolate, and don't even put how much it is on the label?

The author made such a persuasive case for caffeine's addictive and detrimental qualiti
Loree
Oct 19, 2008 Loree rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
This book is shelved under the section of "food for thought" in my own library.

I used to drink a pot or two of coffee daily. I stopped drinking coffee for a while after reading this one. In that experiment I was able to realize how strong an influence it has on me. I am mindful about how and when I drink coffee. I warn you, you may feel like kicking the caffeine habit for awhile after reading this one.
Libbeth
I didn’t think I consumed much caffeine until this book opened my eyes to the fact that there is quite a lot of caffeine in tea, not just coffee and other known sources. My many teas a day habit was contributing to my mood swings. I quit tea and coffee cold turkey (in 2006) and boy did I have a headache for a few days. It is recommended that you reduce your intake gradually but I am a bit of an all or nothing girl so just got it over with. It was worth it, I discovered that it’s possible to go t ...more
Jen Scott
My husband and I read this book for an assignment he had in a speech class. We learned a LOT about the dangers of caffeine and I do admit, it has become our number 1 drug, especially for kids. I cringe when I see water drinks coming out with caffeine. Crazy!
Jayk
Thorough description of the far-reaching effects of caffeine usage. Everyone is aware of the obvious things like jitters and heartburn, but impaired liver function, adrenal exhaustion, hypertension, reduced cerebral circulation... are more concerning.
Karli
I quit caffeine before even finishing the introduction of this book. In the midst of new literature about why caffeine is allegedly good for you, I still think Cherniske provides more compelling evidence for why it is not.
Butch
A good read on why coffee and every form of caffeine is bad for you and how to kick the habit in a smooth way.
Staci
Lots of science... I learned a lot and will be moving forward without caffeine!
Bigmg
Overwhelming evidence by way of medical studies and market research all wrapped up in one rather large volume. Whether you find your caffeine fix in coffee, soda, power drinks, or pills, the results are still the same.
This has been the go-to book for most health related topics for over fifteen years and is still relevant today.
Without going into adrenal fatigue, depression, obesity, brain problems, and everything else imaginable, caffeine is as much a poison as is sugar -- and just as desirabl
Justin
Good, but lots of confusion about correlation and causation here, with tons of confounding variables. Still, everyone should try not drinking it for a month and see how they feel--I'm guessing it would be better, not worse.
Melissa
This book educated me about the ill effects of caffeine addiction for the very first time. It was such a rude awakening that it allowed me to give it up entirely.
Mark Johnson
Good info, lot of typos

I enjoyed the book and got a lot out of it.
I knocked 2 stars for typos on almost every page, with some completely changing the meaning of a sentence. I don't know if this is only present in the kindle version but there's no excuse for it being that bad.
Louanne
It was OK but needs to be updated to new scientific research.
Annemargaret Olsson
This is my second time reading this book. It really is a wake-up call when you realize how much caffeine affects your body. Now, getting off the caffeine is another story - though the author does layout a plan to help the reader reach this goal as well as providing alternatives to coffee and decaf coffee. The book is very well written - an easy page turner. I highly recommend this book.
Adam Crafter
50% facts and interesting data , 50% stress-inducing fear-mongering... You may or may not wish to quit caffeine… If you do there's enough facts and fear in this book to help you quit.

If you don't want to quit caffeine there are also books out there that recommend caffeine and all of its health benefits…

Read both before you decide!
Jessica Pischer
I enjoyed it and learned a lot of information that I could not previously find on the internet. I am not ready to quit caffeine nor will I be doing the author's "off the bean program" since I do not want to pay for all of the recommended supplements. But, I will definitely be more wary about my caffeine consumption now.
Trudy
I read this book and it was amazing to me how much I didn't know about what caffeine does to our bodies. After reading this, I was totally off caffeine for 6 months. But it is a slippery slope and I have slipped to the bottom. Maybe I should reread this, or review my notes from reading it to regain my motivation!
Martyn Clayton
I read this because I was told by my Dr to try giving up caffeine. It certainly helped focus my mind. The science seems convincing and having it at hand as I slowly detox has been extremely useful. Really only to be read if you're considering giving up caffeine as it's fairly full-on.
Michael Hentrich
Amazing! This book is a must read for everyone who drinks coffee, soda, tea, takes medication... actually everyone should just read this. Not reading this book is like driving in the dark with no headlights on. You will be surprised by what you don't know. I was.
Marisa
I'm a believer now. I've been off of caffeine for over 3 months now-- a big deal for me!
This book was zealous in its promotion of a caffeine free lifestyle, but I found it informative and motivational.
Kathy Hildebrand

I was ready to quit caffeine after the intro!
Misty Earisman
Misty Earisman marked it as to-read
Dec 15, 2014
Deirdre Hanners
Deirdre Hanners marked it as to-read
Dec 12, 2014
Vinci Amorim
Vinci Amorim marked it as to-read
Dec 10, 2014
Greg Hawod
Greg Hawod marked it as to-read
Dec 08, 2014
Vicky Dornbush
Vicky Dornbush marked it as to-read
Dec 06, 2014
David West
David West marked it as to-read
Dec 03, 2014
Sam Horam
Sam Horam marked it as to-read
Dec 02, 2014
  • Dangerous Grains
  • Fats That Heal, Fats That Kill: The Complete Guide to Fats, Oils, Cholesterol and Human Health
  • Life Without Bread Life Without Bread: How a Low-Carbohydrate Diet Can Save Your Life
  • Know Your Fats: The Complete Primer for Understanding the Nutrition of Fats
  • The Crazy Makers
  • The World's Healthiest Foods: Essential Guide for the Healthiest Way of Eating
  • The Fat Flush Plan
  • The Metabolic Typing Diet: Customize Your Diet To: Free Yourself from Food Cravings: Achieve Your Ideal Weight; Enjoy High Energy and Robust Health; Prevent and Reverse Disease
  • The Second Brain: A Groundbreaking New Understanding of Nervous Disorders of the Stomach and Intestine
  • Encyclopedia of Healing Foods
  • Our Stolen Future: Are We Threatening Our Fertility, Intelligence and Survival? A Scientific Detective Story
  • Why Some Like It Hot: Food, Genes, and Cultural Diversity
  • Vitamin K2 and the Calcium Paradox: How a Little-Known Vitamin Could Save Your Life
  • Eat Fat, Lose Fat: The Healthy Alternative to Trans Fats
  • Eat Naked: Unprocessed, Unpolluted, and Undressed Eating for a Healthier, Sexier You
  • Sugar Blues
  • The Protein Power Lifeplan
  • Gut and Psychology Syndrome: Natural Treatment for Autism, ADD/ADHD, Dyslexia, Dyspraxia, Depression, Schizophrenia
The Metabolic Plan: Stay Younger Longer The Metabolic Makeover: It's All about Energy DHEA Breakthrough The Metabolic Anti-ageing Plan Great Soup Diet: A Remarkable Scientific Achievement