Start by marking “No Nature: New and Selected Poems” as Want to Read:
No Nature: New and Selected Poems

No Nature: New and Selected Poems

4.15 of 5 stars 4.15  ·  rating details  ·  562 ratings  ·  24 reviews
"The greatest of living nature poets. . . . It helps us to go on, having Gary Snyder in our midst."--Los Angeles Times. Snyder is the author of many volumes of poetry and prose, including The Practice of the Wild and the Pulitzer Prize-winning Turtle Island. Reading tour.
Published September 7th 1993 by Pantheon (first published 1992)

To ask other readers questions about No Nature, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about No Nature

David
He's like a mountain man survivalist... lots of geology, wildlife and outdoorsy chores. My favorites are the intimate sauna poems where he describes his naked family in great detail, which sounds creepy but is actually touching.
Haines
Snyder is great, and this represents him quite well. However, I think his body of work will remain just a hair's breadth away from full illumination until a devoted editor annotates many of his very particular regional, botanical, anthropological and non-English references. It's somewhat astounding how prescient and keyed-in his concerns were back in the late fifties: ecology, cross-culturalization, holism, Buddhism, etc. While his poetics are entirely apt and owned, it may exert an unfortunate ...more
Tammy Marie Jacintho
A great companion when also studying Zen, the work is so spare, like the sun-bleached bones of a wild animal in the desert. All the more startling because you stumble upon them. At first, you can't make out the object, and then suddenly you are filled with rapture.

Like Georgia O'Keefe, you want to take up one perfect bone and hold it up against the sky. You want to see its shape against a backdrop of perfect blue. Each line has its own symmetry. Each line is whittled down by a master craftsman.
Ryan
Just picked this back up to clear my head the other day and was reminded of how tranquil but noisey these poems can be. Snyder probably shouldn't be read in the city, but if you close your windows and curtains it might work. Read some of it out loud to hear the sounds his poetry makes - it can sound like walking up a gravel road or like a waterfall. Some of it I just don't understand though . . . a bit more zen than I can be at my age maybe.
Kati
I've been slowly, slowly working through this beautiful book since Levi sent it to me a few years back. What a beautiful way to finish the first month of the new year. He conveys so much with few words.
Ellen
I have slightly complicated feelings about it that i'd be happy to share if anybody wants to know...i just can't sum them up in a couple sentences just yet.
Ashleyj Brown
Once a logger, GAry Snyder portrays the wilderness, logging, and the scents/colors/sounds of trees so enchantingly and beautiful. One of my favorite poets.
Ben
No poetry has touched me like the poetry of Gary Snyder. Simple, direct, and of-the-earth, Gary Snyder is THE MAN.
Wil Turner
The single book I've carried the farthest and read the most. Was in my backpack everywhere I went until late 2006.
Homerun2
What an interesting poet -- his work is valuable and compelling, but his life story even more so. He has at various times been a teacher, a seaman, a logger and a monk. He writes love poems, nature poems, and the occasional poem about an engine room or a pump he is repairing. I had the great good fortune to meet and spend a few hours with Mr. Snyder when he visited our city for a reading this week. At 84 he is lively, charming, vital, curious and funny. And he reads his work beautifully and like ...more
Kathleen
This is one of those books that I've had for years and still keep close at hand--and close to heart. It's showing wear from honest love, as it's been subjected to several thorough readings, a period in college during which it practically lived in my bookbag, a cross-country road trip (reading Snyder in the desert is probably as close to satori as this high-strung city girl is ever going to get), and scribbled annotations in the margins that just keep growing.

Snyder opened a reading I attended a
Jen
Sep 03, 2007 Jen rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: nature lovers and poets
Shelves: uber-books
Beat poet Snyder is a beautiful soul with a gift for language. This collection of his work is perfect to keep next to your bed to read poems before you nod off to sleep. I love this one:

For The Children

The rising hills, the slopes,
of statistics

In the next century
or the one beyond that,
they say,
are valleys, pastures,
we can meet there in peace
if we make it.

To climb these coming crests
one word to you, to
you and your children
Sunni
Snyder can write about hiking in remote mountain ranges with such lovely detail and spirit of zen that it feels real, lived, and human in the deepest sense. His poems about changing a diaper, about talking to the boy at Dodger Lookout point, about visiting Wendell Berry and his wife on their farm all show that he is reverent to things that deserve to be observed and revered. He's also highly irreverant about the different forces that drive society. He reads tough and sure of himself. That this i ...more
brendan
i knew people throughout college, in all my creative writing and poetry classes, who raved and orgasmed over snyder's nature poetry. while i am not really at a point in life where hyperbolical raving over an author or book i now understand why those acquaintances felt thus. yet, i cannot in good faith recommend this to anyone. merely keep gary snyder in the back of your mind and when you feel an urge for nature poetry that forms the armature modern nature poets hang themselves from.
Dan
I didn't read every poem in the book, but I'm declaring this one read. It's ok, if you like Californian neo-Buddhism. I found only a couple of these poems truly memorable. The rest were sort-of journal entries by a guy I probably would find too New Agey to enjoy a dinner with. Maybe a cup of coffee. Definitely a hike.
Daniel Klawitter
He is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much better than Alan Ginsberg, who after writing Howl, pretty much wrote whatever came into his head with no editing and too many exclamation points. Snyder is the most accomplished and readable poet to have arisen from the whole "beat" movement.
Michael
Yeah...not that the poems were bad (because they really weren't), but having to RECITE THEM...OUT LOUD...IN HARMONY with everyone else in my Honors class has left my view of this work scarred...lol
E
Dec 31, 2011 E rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: poetry
I enjoy Snyder's writing when he drifts away from the nature poetry for which he is so well known. But when he's in his element, his talents do not include converting the skeptics like me.
Kimberly
3 stars only because i already had most of the poems in other books. i'm just a gary snyder completist. :shrug:
Kent
I love the poems in this book. They have stayed with me my whole life.
Erica
Nov 11, 2007 Erica rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: humans
this is what made me fall madly in love with gary snyder.
Dan
I will always revisit some if these poems.
Jesse Brown
"pissing watching a waterfall"
Cary
My forever and ever.
Omkar Jadhav
Omkar Jadhav marked it as to-read
Dec 24, 2014
Christian Guerra
Christian Guerra marked it as to-read
Nov 29, 2014
  • The Rebel's Silhouette: Selected Poems
  • Master Dogen's Shobogenzo: 1
  • The Selected Poems of Tu Fu
  • The Collected Songs of Cold Mountain
  • TAZ: The Temporary Autonomous Zone (New Autonomy)
  • Braided Creek
  • Dark Harbor
  • Jesus: A Revolutionary Biography
  • Medicine Stories: History, Culture and the Politics of Integrity
  • گلشن راز
Gary Snyder is an American poet (originally, often associated with the Beat Generation), essayist, lecturer, and environmental activist. Snyder is a winner of a Pulitzer Prize for Poetry. Since the 1970s, he has frequently been described as the 'laureate of Deep Ecology'. From the 1950s on, he has published travel-journals and essays from time to time. His work in his various roles reflects his im ...more
More about Gary Snyder...
Turtle Island Practice of the Wild Riprap and Cold Mountain Poems Mountains and Rivers Without End The Back Country