Start by marking “Hags, Sirens, and Other Bad Girls of Fantasy” as Want to Read:
Hags, Sirens, and Other Bad Girls of Fantasy
Preview

Hags, Sirens, and Other Bad Girls of Fantasy

3.37 of 5 stars 3.37  ·  rating details  ·  145 ratings  ·  19 reviews
Twenty original tell-all tales about those original femmes fatale of fantasy From hags and harpies to sorceresses and sirens, this volume features twenty all-new tales that prove women are far from the weaker sex-in all their alluring, magical, and monstrous roles.
Published July 5th 2006 by Daw Books

To ask other readers questions about Hags, Sirens, and Other Bad Girls of Fantasy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hags, Sirens, and Other Bad Girls of Fantasy

Ana Mardoll
Hags, Sirens, & Other Bad Girls of Fantasy / 0-7564-0369-3

"What kind of stories are the most entertaining ones? Well obviously the most intriguing tales feature characters that don't walk the straight and narrow, those that get into or cause trouble rather than avoid it. And now some of fantasy's most troublesome gals have their chance to shine..."

This anthology fails to live up to the alluring siren call on the back cover. Ultimately, this anthology suffers from wanton inclusion of too many
Wealhtheow
Out of 20 short stories, only three didn't induce nausea or boredom. Rosemary Edghill's "Bitter Fruit: A Tale of Crownland" was a grown up and viscerally disturbing story about a woman who seeks justice. Scott William Carpenter's "Heart of Stone," in which a calculating Medusa experiments with what permutation of love will set her free of her killing curse. And Michael Hiebert's "Dust" is a slightly trippy look at a tooth-fairy accidentally bound to the will of a vapid human child. The rest are ...more
Hannah Stoutenburg
I don't understand the issue that so many people have with this book. Yes it tends to border nightmare land with its editing and sure some of the stories are a bit dull but there aren't many compilation books that DON'T have these faults. Maybe it's my enjoyment of good Greek/Roman tales and other such legends that are often hard to find (at least for me). It gets a solid 3.5 stars from me.
Eileen
I read this flying to Oregon - a desperate catch from the library as I was leaving, and needing something for a 9 hour flight. It was surprisingly good - every story in the anthology captured my attention and entertained me, though I've been more "bad" than some of these ladies.
Chris
Is this the best collection of fairy tale retellings? No. The book is about half good and half bad.

Stand out stories include:

"Shall We Dance" by C. S. Friedman. This is story has a very good line about dung. Honest.

"Bitter Fruit" by Rosemary Edgehill. The type of spooky story you have to read twice.

"Band of Sisters" by Allan Rousselle. A nice story about sirens, including the fact that one of them is called Big Lou.

"Dust" by Michael Hiebert. The tooth fairy's revenge. She ain't Dwayne the Rock
Diane Chen
Argh! What went wrong with the editors?

Does no one proofread anything anymore? The errors in this book are appalling and unforgivable! In one story the MAIN character's name is spelled differently in sections of the story! How can a book go to print with such serious problems?

This book seemed like it was thrown together in a hurry without much thought at all. Some of the stories made no sense, or had no point. Considering the poor editing, one has to wonder if whole paragraphs or even pages wer
Mike
Mar 12, 2015 Mike marked it as might-finish-might-not  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: short-stories
Quick thoughts: Love mythology and fantasy, so expected to be really into this collection. Not so much. The few stories I've read are just ok and I'm not compelled to read more at the moment. Will chip away a story at a time here and there as I'm in the mood.
Monica
One of my favs. Its one I go to for fun. I've read it multiple times.I even tell some of the stories to my kids but, of course make them more child friendly. Its one where girls totally rule the world. But of course we already knew that!
Jen
This book was quite entertaining, and most of the stories were strong. These short stories were a great twist to the old myths - ranging from funny, to mildy chilling, to downright silly. Definitely a great light read!
Diana
A number of these stories lacked originality, but even those stories had their surprises. Overall I enjoyed this book and recommend it as light reading for the school year that will refresh your memory of mythology.
Willa
Sep 25, 2008 Willa marked it as didn-t-finish  ·  review of another edition
Made it through half the stories and they're just not that good. Mostly boring and/or poorly written. The concept of the book is good, but the reality leaves much to be desired. Just can't push myself any further.
J.
Some of the stories in this collection are a little darker than most fantasy collections, but I very much enjoyed it because of that.
Elliereggie
Short stories, a lot involving greek mythology. Its s good bedtime reader if you want to be able to put the book down between stories.
Lori
Quite a few of these short stories are interesting takes on familiar mythological/storybook females, often with a special twist.
Kara
An anthology of short stories. Some are better than others. I gave up on the book however at about the halfway point.
Stephanie
Some of the stories were a little slow and dry, some needed a better editor and some made them worth it.
Jenns
As with most short story collections, some of the stories were hit or miss, but overall a fun read.
Sheila
loved it.if you love myths and folklore you will be familar with alot of these ladies.
Lori
It was ok. Some stories were better than others.
Tiffany Overton
Tiffany Overton marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2015
Catherine Johnson
Catherine Johnson marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2015
Stacey
Stacey marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2015
Samantha Silver
Samantha Silver marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2015
Mariana
Mariana marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2015
Hunter
Hunter marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2015
Vicki
Vicki marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2015
  • Fangs for the Mammaries
  • Bewitched
  • Enchanted Forests
  • The End of the Line: An Anthology of Underground Horror
  • Demon Forged  (The Guardians, #5)
  • The Mirror Prince
Denise Little is an editor for Tekno Books.
More about Denise Little...
Twice Upon a Time Witch High Enchantment Place The Magic Shop Creature Fantastic