Start by marking “El cangrejo de las pinzas de oro” as Want to Read:
El cangrejo de las pinzas de oro

El cangrejo de las pinzas de oro (Tintin #9)

4.03  ·  Rating Details  ·  7,996 Ratings  ·  147 Reviews
The classic graphic novel. A can of crab meat turns out to be a small clue to a big mystery! Tintin meets Captain Haddock in his escape and his plan to track down the crooks takes him to an exotic desert city.
Published July 28th 1993 by Juventud (first published 1941)

To ask other readers questions about El cangrejo de las pinzas de oro, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about El cangrejo de las pinzas de oro

Sidharth Vardhan
How come no one ever talks about the large number of coincidences that are always saving Tintin. He finds help when lost in middle of sea, in middle of deserts, bullets just miss him, he just happens to be looking in the right direction to be able to dodge heavy weights supposed to crush him and so on. I mean just want to see him dead once!
Brendon Schrodinger
This is really becoming a Tintin countdown to Christmas for me. Usually I've been reading these outside in a banana lounge at twilight. That's the perks of the Southern Hemisphere all of you jerks up there.

'The Crab With the Golden Claws' is, I think, one of the most famous Tintin adventures. It introduces Captain Haddock, the salty sailor with unique swearing abilities that is rather fond of alcohol. This time Tintin stables, as he always does, never to find a lead in the conventional manner,
Trey
Mar 02, 2008 Trey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I think Tintin was the coolest person to ever exist.
Maria Carmo
Jan 09, 2015 Maria Carmo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone.
So, finally in this adventure, Tin-tin meets for the first time Le Capitaine Haddock!!!!! And what a state he is in, during this first adventure together! As Captain of a cargo ship, he has been tricked by his immediate to drink too much and stay away from managing what is going on in his ship - while the Lieutenant is trafficking Opium! Of course Tin-tin and Milu come to the rescue...
Funny and adventurous, as all of Hergé's books.

Maria Carmo,

Lisbon 9 January 2015.
Dan
Aug 02, 2011 Dan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Tintin stories for anyone who has read them and understands their history can't be viewed as anything other than groundbreaking. The beginnings of these stories have been around as long as the Lord of the Rings, the illustration and environments in the Tintin books are accurate and extremely detailed. Anyone who has spent even a little time exploring Herge (Georges Remi) can see the painstaking research and adversity he worked through to compose the world around Tintin. His ideas were ahead ...more
Ashley Capes
Jul 17, 2015 Ashley Capes rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tintin

Another of my favs - probably because it's here that we first meet Haddock AND get treated to some of his fantastic strings of curses!

People familiar with the recent CGI film will see a lot of plot elements and scenes taken from the Crab, like the way Tintin meets Haddock and the use of the Karaboudjan, the sea plane escape and shootout, the crash and hallucinations in the desert etc

There's also a fantastic little sequence where Haddock is screaming for revenge and the snap-zooms and rage on his
Michael Gerald
Mar 07, 2012 Michael Gerald rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is one of the books on which the latest Tintin film is based. Again, Tintin is up against the problem of drug trafficking. This book is also memorable for it is where Captain Haddock makes his first appearance, as the ship captain with an alcohol addiction who is saved and eventually helped reformed by Tintin.
David Sarkies
Jun 11, 2014 David Sarkies rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Pretty much anybody
Recommended to David by: Primary School Library
Shelves: adventure
Captain Haddock makes his first appearance
6 February 2012

Okay, not only is this one of my favourite albums, it is also the album in which we have one of the major characters, Captain Haddock, first appears. At this stage we now have the two police officers (the Thompson twins), the opera singer (Bianca Castafiore), some reoccurring villains (Rastapopolous and Mr Alan Mate), and now Tintin's travelling companion, the drunk ship captain Captain Haddock.
It is funny that some have noted that none
Ana
Oct 10, 2015 Ana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
Admito que as 4 estrelas são, principalmente, pela intervenção do Capitão e dos seus ataques quando estava sob o efeito de álcool, mas foi sobretudo a sua reação a beber um copo de água que teve mais piada.

A história é interessante é segue a linha habitual das aventuras de Tintin, valendo sempre a pena dar mais uma vista de olhos por uma das suas aventuras.
Sammy
Oct 31, 2010 Sammy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comic
My review, as posted in Tintin Books

Unfortunately, due to the circumstances of Nazi-occupied Belgium, constraints forced "The Crab with the Golden Claws" to fall back a bit, after the heights reached by King Ottokar’s Sceptre. (As someone who stayed in Belgium after the start of World War II (at the call of the Belgian King Leopold's call for people to return), Herge was setting himself up for controversy. He never sympathised with Nazis, but "Le Soir" itself was staffed by collaborators and it
Nabila Tabassum Chowdhury
এটা মাসটার পিস। ছবিগুলো সো ফার বেসট। সমপূরন পাতা জুড়ে চারটা বড় বড় খুব সুনদর ছবি আছে। সটোরিতে কোথাও একটুও লযাগ নাই। আর সিগনেচার গালাগালি সহ কযাপটেন হযাডক তো আছেনই, ওনার পরথম উপসথিতি এই কাঁকড়া রহসযেই। ...more
Ahmad Sharabiani
The Crab With the Golden Claws (Tintin, #9) , Hergé
عنوان: خرچنگ پنجه طلایی جلد 9؛ نویسنده: هرژه، مترجم: اسمردیس؛ تهران، ونوس، 1357، در 62 ص؛
Michael
Hurray for Haddock!!

The Captain finally makes his drunken appearance in a liver-bursting whirlwind of whisky-quaffing, profanity, loutishness, maudlin self-pity and violent assault! The perfect foil for Tintin's often beige-bland earnestness.

While certainly played for laughs, Captain Haddock's alcoholism is also clearly shown as being a bad thing - he frequently endangers Tintin's life and several times almost scuppers the investigation - and so we can take a moral lesson from that.

Other reviewe
Helmut
Mar 06, 2013 Helmut rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
Herzlich willkommen, Capitaine!

In diesem Band passiert etwas, was Auswirkungen auf alle nachfolgenden Tintin-Geschichten hat: Kapitän Haddock betritt die Bühne! Eine wertvolle Ergänzung für die Tintin-Comics. Milou tritt immer mehr in den Hintergrund als Ansprechpartner für Tintin und wird mehr zum echten Hund (auch wenn er noch ab und an denkt), und die Dialoge entstehen mehr zwischen Haddock und Tintin.

Auch hier, wie in den meisten Tintin-Bänden, wird spaßige, intelligente und spannende Unterh
Yves
Jul 25, 2011 Yves rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bd
C'est une des moins intéressantes aventures de Tintin. Je l'ai trouvée un peu ennuyante et l'histoire d'opium caché est redondante car on l'a déjà vue dans deux autres aventures. J'ai bien aimé par exemple l'apparition pour la première fois du Capitaine Haddock qui n'est dans cette BD qu'un ivrogne. C'est le début d'une grande amitié entre lui et Tintin. Le gros problème est que l'histoire est un peu trop vide à mon goût.
Rami Samaha
In this book It has suspense about like what is innards happen next what are we gonna do and they even be in a desert where other people help them and give them camels to travel and the weird thing about this book is the tins of the crab because some f them have normal crab but some don't
Andy
There are some great cinematic scenes in this adventure, in particular the ocean/sea-plane attack and the Sahara sequences (familiar from Spielberg's film) but really this boils down to Tintin and another drug smuggling story with shady foreigners as the baddies. I'm not sure whether it's just this edition or widespread but the colouring work was pretty variable throughout too. Clothes changing colour panel to panel? Poor.

Still, Cpt Haddock is introduced in all his boozy, sweary glory (and what
Santhosh
Captain Haddock gets introduced in all his boozy sweary glory. Thompson and Thomson are more slapstick, and more repeating than mis-repeating each other, which isn't as funny. The crab symbol on Omar ben Salaad's necklace was a bit silly.
I love Haddock's wordy outbursts and was glad to see Thompson and Thomson again. I doubt children's books today could involve opium drug-smuggling operations as a major plot point. Too bad.
Matthew Hodge
Feb 01, 2016 Matthew Hodge rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Will always go down in history as the Tintin that introduced us to Captain Haddock. And what an inspired creation that was. Tintin was entertaining but more like a sort of neutral Harry Potter-style character, a blank slate that you could imagine yourself being as you went on his adventures.

But Haddock? Blistering barnacles! Now there's a personality. You wouldn't normally expect an alcoholic sailor with a bad habit of verbally abusing people to become a beloved children's book character, but th
Leila Anani
This is the 9th Tintin adventure and introduces Captain Haddock. Our intrepid reporter and his faithful dog snowy travel to Morocco as they chase a gang of opium smugglers hiding their wares in tins of crab meat.

This is not the best story but important because we first meet the unforgettable Captain. I love his random insults, its as if he's swallowed a dictionary and just spouts off random long words with no notion of their meaning.

The Thom(p)son Twins also feature, bumbling about being general
Namitha Varma
Oct 16, 2015 Namitha Varma rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
Captain Haddock finally joins the series. There is nothing funnier than him using big words as expletives! :D

However, two things jarred in this book: 1). the lack of puns in the conversation of Thompson and Thomson. Here, they mirrored each other's words, but usually one messes the words of the other. 2). The story started with the sailor being found dead with counterfeit coins. The investigation, though, moves towards opium smuggling.

I also found it difficult to swallow that even Tintin got d
Chris H-C
Feb 26, 2016 Chris H-C rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Finally we meet Captain Haddock. And what a decent setup to introduce the film-going world to Tintin, Mr. Spielberg.

Haddock's drinking problem isn't given the weight it would in a modern treatment, instead being played very much for laughs. Aside from that, the picture painted of North and Saharan Africa seems quite accurately and humanly drawn.

That being said, there was a little too much Tintin ex machina in the ending. Finding a pair of golden claws around the neck of some random guy? Not too
Haley
When Tintin's dog, Snowy, goes scavenging in trash and gets his muzzle stuck in a can of crab meat, that leads Tintin on an adventure. This adventure starts off badly when Tintin is knocked unconscious aboard a mysterious ship and taken out to sea where bad guys intend to sink him to the bottom of the ocean. Of course, Tintin leads a good and lucky life, which takes a turn for the better when he comes across the ship's drunken' captain, Captain Haddock.

This book connects to almost all old mys
Diederik
Sep 23, 2011 Diederik rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Diederik by: Jan Bijkerk
Shelves: literatuur
Dit was de eerste Kuifje die ik heb gelezen. Dat herinner ik mij nog als de dag van gisteren. Mijn ouders waren ook liefhebber van Kuifje, maar niet zo'n fanatiek Herge-fan als ik. (Jo Suus en Jokko en De Guitenstreken van Quick en Flupke). De rest volgde gestaag; tot en met de laatste Kuifje in 1986. De onvoltooide "Kuifje en de Alfa-kunst"
Tintin in TibetPrisoners of the SunCigars of the PharaohExplorers on the MoonDestination MoonThe Seven Crystal BallsRed Rackham's TreasureThe Secret of the U
Nicholas Whyte

The Crab With The Golden Claws is a farily straightforward tale of Tintin, not especially helped by the detectives Thomson and Thompson, investigating a mysterious death which turns to be linked to drug smuggling from Morocco. While the effects of the smuggled opium are not really described - it is assumed that the reader's parents will explain why it is a Bad Thing - there is much material about the effects of alcohol, incarnated in the new character of C
Diz
Mar 13, 2015 Diz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
This volume of Tintin introduces Captain Haddock, which is one of the funniest characters in the series. The art is crisp and clean, and it does a good job of transporting you to an exotic location. My only complaint would be that it would have been nice to see some positive depictions of Arab characters. The Arab characters are either villains or background characters. If Tintin had interacted with a wider variety of local characters, it would have added to the realism of the adventure.
Adan
Dec 03, 2015 Adan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Even though Tintin stories like to surround themselves with mystery and detective genre trappings, they're actually adventure stories and not mysteries at all. I think if I constantly remind myself of this fact, I'll enjoy the Tintin stories more.

That said, this particular story introduced Captain Haddock, who was the most obnoxious character to date. Hopefully, he stops being the buffoonish drunkard in subsequent adventures.
Joyce
Aug 16, 2015 Joyce rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This adventure of Tintin's is probably one of my favourites. If you've seen the Tintin film released in 2011 then you'll realise that they took being introduced to Captain Haddock from this adventure. Favourite part of this comic is probably Captain Haddock turning positively apoplectic when his bottle of whisky is shot in a crossfire between him and rebels in the dessert; creative 'insults' abound! Magnificent.
Fantasy♥Magic♥Love
In The Crab With the Golden Claws we meet for the first time one of our favourite comic characters, Haddock. Yes, indeed he and Mr Calculus are definitely the funniest characters in the series (I believe Snowy has a few shares of 'comical' scenes as well).

I feel like I read something similar to this story already, one where we follow and try to catch the people who smuggle and sell (view spoiler).

So, this comic with The Secret of the Unicorn and Red Rackham's Treasure wa
  • The Mansions of the Gods (Asterix, #17)
  • Asterix and the Black Gold (Asterix, #26)
Georges Prosper Remi (22 May 1907 – 3 March 1983), better known by the pen name Hergé, was a Belgian comics writer and artist.
His best known and most substantial work is The Adventures of Tintin comic book series, which he wrote and illustrated from 1929 until his death in 1983, leaving the twenty-fourth Tintin adventure Tintin and Alph-Art unfinished. His work remains a strong influence on comics
More about Hergé...

Tintin (1 - 10 of 26 books)
  • Tintin in the Land of the Soviets (Tintin #1)
  • Tintin au Congo (Tintin, #2)
  • Tintin in America (Tintin, #3 )
  • Cigars of the Pharaoh (Tintin, #4)
  • Le Lotus bleu (Tintin, #5)
  • The Broken Ear (Tintin, #6)
  • The Black Island (Tintin, #7)
  • King Ottokar’s Sceptre (Tintin, #8)
  • The Shooting Star (Tintin, #10)
  • The Secret of the Unicorn (Tintin, #11)