Start by marking “The Kid in the Red Jacket” as Want to Read:
The Kid in the Red Jacket

The Kid in the Red Jacket

3.67 of 5 stars 3.67  ·  rating details  ·  529 ratings  ·  66 reviews
Howard Jeeter has moved across the country and his only friend is an annoying six-year-old girl. Of course, when you’re really lonely, you’ll be friends with anyone—almost.
Published August 12th 1988 by Yearling (first published April 12th 1987)

To ask other readers questions about The Kid in the Red Jacket, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Kid in the Red Jacket

The Bell Jar by Sylvia PlathThe Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark HaddonGirl, Interrupted by Susanna KaysenThe Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen ChboskyThe Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger
The Mind
311th out of 366 books — 434 voters
The Story About Ping by Marjorie FlackMillions of Cats by Wanda GágFive Children and It by E. NesbitThe Story of Babar by Jean de BrunhoffThe Little House by Virginia Lee Burton
Best Children's Books Most People Haven't Heard of...
485th out of 753 books — 553 voters

More lists with this book...

Ashley
As part of UMHB's READ3307, I read "The Kid in the Red Jacket." I remember reading this book in 4th grade & loving it. I read it a few years ago again & enjoyed it & appreciated it just the same, but with a different, older perspective. This book was written by Barbara Park, who also authored the Junie B. Jones series. The Kid in the Red Jacket follows a young boy, Howard, as he and his family move to a new town and he's the new kid at his new school. The book is written in 1st perso ...more
Susie
Great example of voice; this book sounds like it could have been dictated by a ten year old boy. As I read it, I kept thinking how sad it was that Barbara Park died last year. I can see why there are teachers who start off the year using this as a read aloud; many points could be made and discussions ensue. I compared this to my feelings when I moved when I was nine. Although I knew I would miss many good friends (and cried several times) I was thrilled to be moving to the state capital! My frie ...more
Brooke Baker
Emco
Oct 14, 2007 Emco rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: kids
The book I start each school year with. The main character is hilarious and completely sarcastic. He has to deal with moving across the country in fifth grade and trying to fit in as the new kid. The only thing that bothers me about this book is that Barbara Park names his little brother "Gaylord" obviously as a huge joke. This always gets the kids cracking up and makes me feel like a giant bigot creating 21 tiny bigots who think it's okay to laugh hysterically at the idea. Maybe I need to stop ...more
Emily
This book was a book project for school. I thought the book was ok because it was more a boyish kind of book. If you are an educator this book is a great learning guide because the are many hands on activities to go along with the reading.
Debsorensenlogan
I was rolling on the ground, laughing through ever page...I loved this one...recomended to everyone who ever had to move...I've read it to my 3rd graders (who didn't laugh as much as I did) and my 5th graders (who laughed MORE than I did)...
Joanie
Cute, kid has to move and make new friends... is afraid of becoming the "new kid" or the "wierd kid" he has never been especially nice to. By the author of the Junie B. Jones books. Working well with my 3rd grade group.
Mrs. Downs
GR Level: O

Elementary: FIC PAR

Same author as Junie B. Jones. Really funny story of a really funny boy.
Bijion
Any kid from ages 9-12 should read this book. It was my first emotional book when I was 9! Wonderful!!!
Allison
Wonderful. Not surprised at all that my 4th graders like it so much!
Elizabeth
Great book for 5th graders. My classes really loved this book!
Madi
Hahaha! i laugh just THINKING about this book! LOL
Jen
Howard Jeeter and his family have moved thousands of miles from Arizona to Massachusetts. Nothing is going quite right for Howard; he misses all his old surroundings and friends in Arizona, the kids at his new school seems to ignore him, and he's constantly pestered by Molly Vera Thompson, the annoying 6-year-old who lives across the street. Will Howard finally adjust to his new home? Will Molly ever leave him alone?

Barbara Park has a real gift for writing to children. I've read her books before
Nafi Camara
1. I like this book because I could relate to it. For example, on page 7 it says, “I’m bored and my leg’s hot,” I whined “Also I think I might be getting carsick.” Just like me, when I don’t want to go somewhere I nag about it to make the place sound bad. Also, on page 61 it says on the first day of school no one talked too talked to him except Molly. Also, like me when I first started ST.HOPE nobody talked to me except Gazelle.

2. I would recommend this book to my older cousin Mory because when
Deidra
Written by Barbara Park, illustrated by Jim Warren. Published by Random House, Inc., copyright 1987.

Grade level: 4th and up

Ten year old Howard Jeeter has to deal with a lot of changes in his life when his family decides to move from warm Arizona to chilly Massachusettes. As if his life isn't ruined enough, he soon catches the attentions of a six-year old girl from across the street that just won't leave him alone. Howard does need a friend, but this annoying little girl wasn't what he had in min
Josiah
I learned so much emotionally from this book, and also received a substantial amount of personal validation. Everything good about Barbara Park's writing is here—all-time great humor, meaningful literary wisdom, perfect understanding and expression of the inner workings of the human heart—and comes together to make one of the most memorable reading experiences it has ever been my pleasure to have come my way. The Kid in the Red Jacket holds a very special place in my heart, and I adore it. I th ...more
Collin Goodman
My book review is going to be about the kid in the red jacket. The main characters name is Howard, His family is moving from Arizona, to Massachusetts. Howard does not want to sit by his little baby brother Gaylord, Because he won’t stop crying because the sun is in his eyes.
When they get to there new house, There is a surprise waiting for them. they finally get there the start unpacking. Howard and his dad got in the car and a little girl pops up and seed Hi. Her name was Molly she started to l
Andrea
Aug 01, 2011 Andrea added it
This was recommended to me by one of the students at school, and my son and I read it together. It's the story of Howard, a boy who is forced to move from his beloved home in Arizona to Massachusetts for his father's job. I really enjoyed the way the author communicated the main character's loneliness and repressed anger at his parents, and used it to help Howard understand and develop sympathy for Molly, the annoying little girl across the street. My son drew parallels between Molly and Howard ...more
Kai.s
The KID IN THE RED JACKET?? WHo
Wait a minute... Is it about this book? ohhh.
Barbara Park is a wonderful childhood author and I think it is really great if you all like funny and LOL books. But this book has magical special magic in it, which means theres not just funny and LOL, they also make you think real hard and maybe you are in that story. And also when you read this and think about yourself and the main character feeling it would be the same or different. But to me I changed from being a
Krista Stevens
Howard Jeeter moves from AZ to MA and like any 10 year old, struggles with fitting in. The only person who really notices him is his crazy, six-year-old neighbor next door.

Howard is funny and insightful in his conversatins with his baby brother (Gaylord - seriously?), Mona is really funny and spot on, and Pete is fantastic as the boy who doesn't support teasing Mona and then, like most kids, allows Howard to make up for his mistake.

Upper elementary kids would really like this. Also short.
Robert
I read this in 2007 with my fourth graders. It is about a boy who moved across country, as I recall. No one knew him . . . he was just singled out as the boy in the red jacket. D'oh!

I believe the story revolved around him coming out of his shell and making friends in the new location.

True to the axiom I have been mulling over of late, I don't remember the details, but I do recall how reading this made me feel. I enjoyed the book.
Shelli
Howard is unhappy about moving clear across the country to a new town where he will be "the new kid" in fifth grade. Things get even worse when he meets his neighbor Molly. A red haired silly first grader who has decided Howard is her new best friend ever. Can Howard make any friendship while Molly is tagging along saying embarrassing comments and caring a worn out Madeline dolly? Will her friendship be the death of him physically and socially?
Jasmine Dingle
This is the summary of the kid in the red jacket.
this book is about this boy going to Ma and he is very mad because his mom and dad did not tell him that they are living. he is also mad because he is also hot when he was going to get gas, he is sittintg in the sun and his little brother is sitting in the shade. he is going to Ma and his friend said to wear a jacket so they can call you the kid in the red jacket.
Lynzee Buck
I found some books I thought Rio would like so I've been reading them before I give them to her. I chose this one because I enjoy the Junie B. Jones books so much. Barbara Park does a great job of writing from the point of view of a kindergarten-er, but I was completely annoyed with the tone of this book as written from a 10 year old point of view. If my kid ever acts like this main character I'll go crazy.
Victoria Spaulding
I read this in third grade. I loved this book!
Molly Hollenbeck
Kalia
Even though the title had nothing to do with the red Jacket it was still a good book.He had to move to a new state in amarica and make new friends but his new not really good friend was what he thought a first grade freko and he did not want to be friends with her until he learned something very immportant...
Deborah Harris
Dec 30, 2013 Deborah Harris added it
Shelves: a25, ar-3
AR Quiz No. 178 EN Fiction
Accelerated Reader Quiz Information IL: MG - BL: 3.9 - AR Pts: 3.0
Accelerated Reader Quiz Type Information AR Quiz Types: RP, LS, VP
Sheila
I loved Howard and Molly Vera Thompson. I loved all the kids in this book actually! The way the parents interacted with Howard was almost painful to read...very distant and not very respectful or empathetic. But in spite of that, I enjoyed reading this as much as my boys!
Rachel
This book lacked the charm of Junie B for me. It was entertaining to a point, but I read it hoping it would be good for my 6 year old who has read the entire Junie B series, and I don't feel like it is interesting enough to keep her attention.
  • The War with Grandpa
  • Dexter the Tough
  • Dogs Don't Tell Jokes (Someday Angeline, #2)
  • Spying on Miss Muller
  • The Kid Who Ran For President (Kid President, #1)
  • The 18th Emergency
  • Class President (An Apple Paperback)
  • Baby-Sitting Is a Dangerous Job
  • Your Mother Was a Neanderthal
  • Moxy Maxwell Does Not Love Writing Thank-you Notes
  • If I Ran the School
  • The Weeping Werewolf (Moongobble and Me, #2)
  • How to Be Cool in the Third Grade
  • Who Really Killed Cock Robin?
  • Last Summer With Maizon
  • The Toothpaste Millionaire
  • Do The Funky Pickle
  • Niagara Falls, Or Does It? (Hank Zipzer, #1)
Barbara Park received over 40 awards for her books, including 25 Children's Choice awards.

Park was the daughter of a merchant and a secretary, Doris and Brooke Tidswell. She grew up in Mount Holly Township, New Jersey. From 1965 to 1967, she attended Rider College, later finishing her B.S. in 1969 at the University of Alabama. She married Richard A. Park in 1969. She lived in Phoenix, Arizona for
More about Barbara Park...
Junie B. Jones and the  Stupid Smelly Bus (Junie B. Jones, #1) Junie B. Jones and a Little Monkey Business (Junie B. Jones, #2) Junie B. Jones and Her Big Fat Mouth (Junie B. Jones, #3) Junie B. Jones and the Yucky Blucky Fruitcake (Junie B. Jones, #5) Junie B. Jones and the Mushy Gushy Valentime (Junie B. Jones, #14)