Start by marking “It All Began with a Bean: The True Story of the World's Biggest Fart” as Want to Read:
It All Began with a Bean: The True Story of the World's Biggest Fart

It All Began with a Bean: The True Story of the World's Biggest Fart

What happens when, one day, a dropped bean is devoured by ten flies, and hundreds of dogs eat cheese fallen from a truck, and thousands of runners begin gulping air, and all the people at home that morning have eggs for breakfast, and then they all fart at once? This hilarious book answers that intriguing question, as readers learn the after-effects of the world's biggest ...more
Published March 15th 2011 by Tanglewood (first published October 15th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about It All Began with a Bean, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about It All Began with a Bean

Inspired Kathy
My 9 year old thought this book was hilarious. He laughed hysterically while reading it. I on the other hand rolled my eyes. The good thing is that he was reading so if you have a reluctant reader they may enjoy this books all about farts. So 1 star from me and 5 stars from my son gets an average rating of 3 stars.
Sue Morris
Apr 16, 2011 Sue Morris rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: boys of all ages
Five flies devoured a dropped bean, while 135 dogs ate cheese fallen from a truck, plus everyone in town ate an egg, or two, for breakfast. Oh, and 45 cats swallowed cheese for a snack. Then, oh my, they all fart at the same time. Can you imagine? The author sure can and tells the tale of a gaseous town where all of this, and more, happened one not so fine day. After the farts came a huge blast that blew every grandma from their rocking chair onto a skateboard and caused zebras to change their s ...more
May 31, 2011 Margaret rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book
5/25/11 ** You know a book was a hit when your students ask you for it months after the first read-aloud. During the last week of school, one of my fourth graders asked "Where's that book, you know, where they all,...the one with the beans." I brought it back to school the next day and several kids eagerly waited to read it. :)

12/2010 ** From my favorite publisher, Tanglewood Press. This amusing picture book answers the questions, "What if everyone farted at once?" which of course is also the de
"What if everyone farted at once?" Doesn't everyone want to know the answer to this question? in IT ALL BEGAN WITH A BEAN, you find out.

Kids LOVE books about the "gross" things in life, snot, burps, poop, and especially farts.

The illustrations are great and quite comical. This is a great book for kids who are about 4 to 8 years old.
Jul 04, 2011 Jen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A book about farts is sure to be a hit with students and this one was with mine! I read it a few years ago before author Katie McKy visited our school and it was so popular, I couldn't keep it in my library and many students purchased it from her when she visited! I read it to my boys for the first time tonight and they were laughing continuously!
Mrs Mommy Booknerd
It all began with a bean...

Follow the funny events that occurred after the single bean fell from the boy's the fly, birds, fish, dogs, cats, and more than half a million other people that fart at the exact same moment. It is a super funny story that both children and kids will love.
Feb 23, 2012 Valerie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pb
It All Began With a Bean, by Katie McKy; illustrated by Tracy Hill
What can a person say about a story of what happened when everyone farted at once? Is it gaseously good? Flatulently fine? These statements are true. I liked it! Word use is great (though I can’t bring myself to say “lovely” somehow), painting pictures in my mind which make me smile, make me want to go back and read again. I’m sheepish about liking this book, won’t likely put it on the read-aloud curriculum at school. But it does
Elizabeth B
Kids love stories about everything that makes adults cringe and a book about farts is no exception. Boys especially will devour this book. The illustrations are a bit off...I can't quite explain what I mean by that, they just don't reach out and grab you as with most modern story books. But the story itself will be a great addition to storytime and will no doubt have the kids rolling in the floor.

(ARC Galley Proof)
I'm just not a big fan of bathroom/crude humor and this book was all about farts. I didn't find the story very humorous and the illustrations were lame. The story was simple and didn't catch my attention. Other people might like this book, but it wasn't for me.

*Taken from my book reviews blog:
Hmmm...not my favourite book, and the pictures were not that vibrant and colourful. My little brother found it hilarious though, and while older years might not see the humour, kids will!
Suited to younger years!
Apr 04, 2011 Karen rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This is a children's story about farts. Every living thing that consumes some sort of food, farts. Birds, fishes, zoo animals, and people. A clever tale of farts. The illistrations look like watercolors, and the expressions of the peoples faces don't reach out and make you laugh.
Mrs Bond
The miracle of all miracles happens, everyone and everything on the planet farts at the same time. It is as terrible and destructive as a 5 year old boy would imagine.
Kathi Droskinis
Kathi Droskinis rated it liked it
Nov 23, 2014
CM rated it it was amazing
Jan 13, 2015
Jennisen rated it liked it
Apr 10, 2016
Lindsey rated it really liked it
Nov 05, 2014
Lisa rated it liked it
Jul 13, 2012
Mike Mullin
Mike Mullin rated it it was amazing
Dec 09, 2010
The Reading Countess
The Reading Countess rated it it was ok
Jul 08, 2011
Morgan Turnage
Morgan Turnage rated it liked it
Jan 30, 2012