Start by marking “The Fortune Tellers: Inside Wall Street's Game of Money, Media, and Manipulation” as Want to Read:

3.39  ·  Rating Details  ·  38 Ratings  ·  6 Reviews
Just as "spin" has taken over politics in America, so too has it come to define the long bull market on Wall Street. The booming trade in stocks has produced an insatiable demand for financial intelligence. On television and the Internet, commentators and analysts are not merely reporting the news, they are making news in ways that provide huge windfalls for some investors ...more
Audio, 0 pages
Published September 1st 2000 by Simon & Schuster Audio

To ask other readers questions about The Fortune Tellers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Fortune Tellers

Jenny
Jan 31, 2015 Jenny rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
After approximately ONE MILLION YEARS I have finally finished reading this book! I read the first third over the period of like, a year and a half and then finished off the last two-thirds between yesterday and today. It's a fairly gripping read and does a great job conveying exactly how ludicrous the 24 hour business news cycle can be and considering journalist ethics with a very real meter of stock prices rising or dipping based on single reports. That being said, this book felt very distracti ...more
Lisa
Feb 13, 2009 Lisa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think the author did a fine job. Personally, I just am not excited enough about Wall Street to read this many pages about it and stay excited.

When I worked for a mutual fund company, I may have given this five stars because I liked to learn about the personalities I watched on TV. Yet today, I'm into other investment vehicles, so I grew tired of the stories since I'm not into the topic area.

If you're glued to CNN or CNBC, you'll probably love it.
Margot
Nov 09, 2007 Margot rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone
This was a terrific read for someone who doesn't know about the stock market. Lots of inside scoop about TV financial personalities and a sense of the enormous risks and roller coaster of the stock market "experts"
Frederick Bingham
The story of media covering the financial industry. It tells all about rich and egotistical people. It's all corrupt and inbred. So what else is new? Yawn.
Alissa Wilkinson
Illuminating narrative about the birth of financial journalism on the web and on TV networks such as CNBC. Dragged a bit in the middle, but very informative.
Dave
Apr 07, 2007 Dave rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book to read on how the subject. The title sums it all up.

"The Fortune Tellers: Inside Wall Street's Game of Money, Media and Manipulation"
Karla Bledsoe
Karla Bledsoe marked it as to-read
Jan 31, 2016
Sara
Sara marked it as to-read
Jan 28, 2016
Andre Davcev
Andre Davcev rated it liked it
Jan 25, 2016
Keith Beck
Keith Beck marked it as to-read
Oct 01, 2015
mistdew
mistdew rated it liked it
Sep 06, 2015
Luke Miller
Luke Miller marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2015
Azadeh June
Azadeh June marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2015
George Huba
George Huba rated it it was amazing
May 05, 2015
Anthony Colozza
Anthony Colozza rated it liked it
Apr 08, 2015
Kelly
Kelly marked it as to-read
Mar 23, 2015
Dan
Dan marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2015
Zahir
Zahir marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2015
Don McNay
Don McNay rated it it was amazing
Mar 01, 2015
Wolf Martin
Wolf Martin marked it as to-read
Feb 16, 2015
John
John rated it really liked it
Feb 14, 2015
Sophia
Sophia marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2015
Sanjay
Sanjay marked it as to-read
Jan 04, 2015
Theresa
Theresa marked it as to-read
Dec 07, 2014
Megan Cassella
Megan Cassella rated it liked it
Dec 05, 2014
Brad
Brad marked it as to-read
Dec 01, 2014
J
J rated it it was amazing
Nov 09, 2014