Start by marking “Georgia's Bones” as Want to Read:
Georgia's Bones

Georgia's Bones

3.76  ·  Rating Details  ·  72 Ratings  ·  27 Reviews
Tells the story of artist Georgia O'Keeffe's lifelong interest in shapes, from her childhood on a Wisconsin farm, to her adult life in New York City and New Mexico.
Unknown Binding, 32 pages
Published March 9th 2005 by Eerdmans Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Georgia's Bones, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Georgia's Bones

Linda
It’s a brief introduction to Georgia O’Keefe’s early life, those little things that fascinated her, that she brought home, like leaves and stones, sticks and flowers. She loved shapes, all kinds, and studied them. Jen Bryant, with Bethanne Andersen’s beautiful paintings, tells this story of young Georgia, misunderstood by family. Her mother called the way she studied things “her silly notions”. Yet, Georgia didn’t give up, continued to draw, then paint her beloved objects. The story ends after ...more
Barbara
While the inclusion of some of Georgia O'Keeffe's paintings and an afterword describing her importance would have made this book even better, I still enjoyed the text and the illustrations. The text seemed to pick up on the sensuous nature of the painter's artistic influences and subjects for painting while also describing how others in her life often failed to understand her or her work. The sumptuous gouache, colored pencil, and pastel illustrations pay tribute to O'Keeffe's work while making ...more
Apr 05, 2016 Karen rated it really liked it
Shelves: jacob, ellie, mom
Good book. It was fun to see Jacob put 2 and 2 together and figure out that this book was about the artist Georgia O'Keefe which we studied in CC3 last year. :)....7/6/15

Read again. Brought back great memories of us doing flower drawings in the backyard last year..krb 4/4/16
Aran Johnson
Jul 18, 2015 Aran Johnson rated it it was amazing
This is a great examination of artistic inspiration. The thing that makes it great is that it does NOT actually dwell on the "rich and famous" aspect of Georgia O'Keefe's biography.

For a child, it is completely meaningless to discuss an artist's fame or success. All that matters to children is to show that once upon a time a child found certain things interesting and then turned that interest into a life as an artist.

By not including any images of the artwork, the focus is all on process, which
Jenna Renner
My favorite part of this book was the illustrations. There were swirls of color in the background and the pictures really helped portray who Georgia was.I think that the illustrations in this book were so good because this is a book about an artist and it captures the beauty of Georgia's work. When Georgia was young people made fun of her because of what she collected. This would be good to share with children because some kids to get made fun of because they are different from everyone else. Wh ...more
Shelli
Jul 15, 2015 Shelli rated it really liked it
This is a nice picture book biography for young readers and listeners and a good way to introduce them to Georgia O’Keeffee’s work, particularly with bones. I would have enjoyed this resource even more if the author had added additional information in the afterward.
Amanda
Nov 11, 2014 Amanda rated it liked it
Madam and I read this together. While I loved the lyricism of the text, the title was about Georgia and her artwork as it was impacted by the bones she found in the desert, but the book wasn't primarily about this. Maybe the title should be changed?
Jeana Wert
Oct 13, 2013 Jeana Wert rated it liked it
Shelves: ch-02-ncss
Georgia's Bones was an okay book, in my mind. My favorite part of the book was the illustrations. I loved how the pictures were painted and the swirls of color in the background. The illustrator did an awesome job of portraying was Georgia was seeing in her mind. I also liked that everyone underestimated her when she was young and made fun of her for the things she collected and what she enjoyed doing. The fact that she grew up to become an artist, like she strived to do ever since she was a you ...more
Mar 21, 2016 Karen rated it really liked it
This book gives a good, basic background into Georgia O'Keeffe's life, and the illustrations are truly spectacular.
Megan
Mar 12, 2012 Megan rated it really liked it
This book is about the childhood of Georgia O'Keeffe, and how she always studies shapes and loved to collect them from all around her and her farm. No one in her family seemed to understand her facination with these "common objects," but that didn't stop her, and she decided she wanted to be an artist. The book then goes on to describe her adult life. It describes her continued passion for shapes in New York City buildings,items on the beach, and finally when she went out west. This book would b ...more
Meribeth
Mar 07, 2014 Meribeth rated it liked it
Great for reading aloud to first graders.
Debby Baumgartner
A short story about how Georgia O'Keeffe who grew up in Wisconsin became an artist.
Lana Clifton
Oct 23, 2010 Lana Clifton rated it really liked it
This story beautifully illustrates the young life of artist Georgia O'Keefe. From her Wisconsin farm, to an apartment in New York City, she is surrounded by shapes and inspired by her natural environment. A visit to the desert in New Mexico, brings her whitewashed bones, that inspire many of her well-known works as an adult. I would use this book for the 2nd-5th classroom to further explore how we connect with nature-- bringing real-lfe context.
Cheryl
Sep 12, 2009 Cheryl rated it it was ok
Both the words and the illustrations of this book capture the spirit and beauty of Georgia O'Keeffe's work. It introduces this artist's interst in natural objects and her unique perspective of the world around her. However, I was disappointed by the lack of detail about the author's life and work.

Biography; 2005; Picture Book; Notable Social Studies Trade Book
Matthew
Sep 06, 2011 Matthew rated it it was amazing
This was a beautiful book full of beautiful words and beautiful art. I loved this book. Jen Bryant told this story without overdoing it. Her play with metaphor is outstanding and even though I still regard Georgia Heard as a bit unusual for picking out skulls to paint, I feel like I understand why she did it and I appreciate it. Beautiful book.
Anne Broyles
May 29, 2009 Anne Broyles rated it it was amazing
I have become a big Jen Bryant fan. Her choice of subjects, ability to synthesize an entire life into a picture book, perfect choice of detail combined with stunning illustrations make good reads. I also like how Eerdmans Books for Young Readers has produced her books. Georgia O'Keefe's story is so exception.
Janet
This one rates a 3 and a half, but that is nit available. This artist biography in picture book format is much better than than the one I read about Matisse. Even in the sparse text I gleaned that her eyes saw the world differently and that she was fascinated with "found" objects from the natural world.
Nathalie
Jul 15, 2011 Nathalie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arizona
AZ picked this one out at the Ohr-O'Keefe Museum in Biloxi. She wanted to know if it was a "real" story. She promptly read it in the car on the way home so I'll be reading it next.
Mouse Denehy
Oct 20, 2013 Mouse Denehy rated it really liked it
Shelves: ch-02-ncss
The art of this book is fun and feels like its moving. The life of O' Keeffe is interesting and the collections she takes up reminds me of my studio! I love books about art and artists!
MissInformation
Apr 27, 2010 MissInformation rated it really liked it
really enjoyed that this book repeats how okeefe saw beauty in little, common things that others overlook. I think kids naturally do that, and will find a kindred spirit in this book.
Michelle
Apr 09, 2013 Michelle rated it it was amazing
Shelves: literacy-class
Informational book. Basic details of Georgia's life. Beautifully illustrated. Both the text and illustrations really capture the inspirations and spirit of Georgia O'Keeffe.
Karen
Nice relation of Georgia's life-long fascination with shapes to her art's development once she went to New Mexico. A slice of the artist's life from one angle.
Jillian Heise
I was left wishing there was an author's note or further information at the end since this ultimately focused on just a small piece of O'Keefe's life.
Liz
Feb 24, 2013 Liz rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2012-13
I liked this book about Georgie O'Keeffe but I wanted so much more. Was hoping to find notes and facts in the back matter but there was none.
Shawn Elswick
Oct 13, 2013 Shawn Elswick added it
Shelves: ncss
This book is about Georgia O'Keeffe. She liked shapes and tried to find them around her farm. I didnt find this book to be all that great.
Lindsey
I wish some of these had her actual paintings and more biographical information about the artist.
Natalie
Aug 20, 2009 Natalie rated it it was amazing
Beautiful, poetic biography with emphasis on O'Keefe's interest in shapes and spaces.
Charlotte
Charlotte marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2016
Jennifer Devine
Jennifer Devine marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2016
Lilly
Lilly marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Jen Bryant writes picture books, novels and poems for readers of all ages. Her biographical picture book: A River of Words: The Story of William Carlos Williams, illustrated by Melissa Sweet,received a Caldecott Honor award and her historical novel in verse RINGSIDE 1925: Views from the Scopes Trial is an Oprah Recommended Book for ages 12 & up. Other titles include Pieces of Georgia (IRA Youn ...more
More about Jennifer Fisher Bryant...