Georgia's Bones

Georgia's Bones

3.75 of 5 stars 3.75  ·  rating details  ·  40 ratings  ·  18 reviews
###############################################################################################################################################################################################################################################################
Published March 9th 2005 by Eerdmans Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 2005)

Jenna Renner
My favorite part of this book was the illustrations. There were swirls of color in the background and the pictures really helped portray who Georgia was.I think that the illustrations in this book were so good because this is a book about an artist and it captures the beauty of Georgia's work. When Georgia was young people made fun of her because of what she collected. This would be good to share with children because some kids to get made fun of because they are different from everyone else. Wh...more
Jeana Wert
Georgia's Bones was an okay book, in my mind. My favorite part of the book was the illustrations. I loved how the pictures were painted and the swirls of color in the background. The illustrator did an awesome job of portraying was Georgia was seeing in her mind. I also liked that everyone underestimated her when she was young and made fun of her for the things she collected and what she enjoyed doing. The fact that she grew up to become an artist, like she strived to do ever since she was a you...more
Megan
This book is about the childhood of Georgia O'Keeffe, and how she always studies shapes and loved to collect them from all around her and her farm. No one in her family seemed to understand her facination with these "common objects," but that didn't stop her, and she decided she wanted to be an artist. The book then goes on to describe her adult life. It describes her continued passion for shapes in New York City buildings,items on the beach, and finally when she went out west. This book would b...more
Meribeth
Great for reading aloud to first graders.
Lana Clifton
This story beautifully illustrates the young life of artist Georgia O'Keefe. From her Wisconsin farm, to an apartment in New York City, she is surrounded by shapes and inspired by her natural environment. A visit to the desert in New Mexico, brings her whitewashed bones, that inspire many of her well-known works as an adult. I would use this book for the 2nd-5th classroom to further explore how we connect with nature-- bringing real-lfe context.
Cheryl
Both the words and the illustrations of this book capture the spirit and beauty of Georgia O'Keeffe's work. It introduces this artist's interst in natural objects and her unique perspective of the world around her. However, I was disappointed by the lack of detail about the author's life and work.

Biography; 2005; Picture Book; Notable Social Studies Trade Book
Matthew
This was a beautiful book full of beautiful words and beautiful art. I loved this book. Jen Bryant told this story without overdoing it. Her play with metaphor is outstanding and even though I still regard Georgia Heard as a bit unusual for picking out skulls to paint, I feel like I understand why she did it and I appreciate it. Beautiful book.
Anne Broyles
I have become a big Jen Bryant fan. Her choice of subjects, ability to synthesize an entire life into a picture book, perfect choice of detail combined with stunning illustrations make good reads. I also like how Eerdmans Books for Young Readers has produced her books. Georgia O'Keefe's story is so exception.
Janet
This one rates a 3 and a half, but that is nit available. This artist biography in picture book format is much better than than the one I read about Matisse. Even in the sparse text I gleaned that her eyes saw the world differently and that she was fascinated with "found" objects from the natural world.
Nathalie
AZ picked this one out at the Ohr-O'Keefe Museum in Biloxi. She wanted to know if it was a "real" story. She promptly read it in the car on the way home so I'll be reading it next.
Mouse Denehy
The art of this book is fun and feels like its moving. The life of O' Keeffe is interesting and the collections she takes up reminds me of my studio! I love books about art and artists!
MissInformation
really enjoyed that this book repeats how okeefe saw beauty in little, common things that others overlook. I think kids naturally do that, and will find a kindred spirit in this book.
Michelle
Informational book. Basic details of Georgia's life. Beautifully illustrated. Both the text and illustrations really capture the inspirations and spirit of Georgia O'Keeffe.
Karen
Nice relation of Georgia's life-long fascination with shapes to her art's development once she went to New Mexico. A slice of the artist's life from one angle.
Liz
I liked this book about Georgie O'Keeffe but I wanted so much more. Was hoping to find notes and facts in the back matter but there was none.
Shawn Elswick
Oct 13, 2013 Shawn Elswick added it
Shelves: ncss
This book is about Georgia O'Keeffe. She liked shapes and tried to find them around her farm. I didnt find this book to be all that great.
Lindsey
I wish some of these had her actual paintings and more biographical information about the artist.
Natalie
Beautiful, poetic biography with emphasis on O'Keefe's interest in shapes and spaces.
Leah Halkett
Leah Halkett marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2014
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2014
Alisha
Alisha added it
Jun 02, 2014
Hannah
Hannah added it
Apr 07, 2014
Kirsten
Kirsten marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2014
Grok Testuser
Grok Testuser is currently reading it
Dec 20, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Jen Bryant writes picture books, novels and poems for readers of all ages. Her biographical picture book: A River of Words: The Story of William Carlos Williams, illustrated by Melissa Sweet,received a Caldecott Honor award and her historical novel in verse RINGSIDE 1925: Views from the Scopes Trial is an Oprah Recommended Book for ages 12 & up. Other titles include Pieces of Georgia (IRA Youn...more
More about Jennifer Fisher Bryant...
A River of Words: The Story of William Carlos Williams Pieces of Georgia Kaleidoscope Eyes The Trial Ringside, 1925: Views from the Scopes Trial