Start by marking “Blue Blood and Mutiny” as Want to Read:
Blue Blood and Mutiny

Blue Blood and Mutiny

3.82  ·  Rating Details  ·  109 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
The inside story of the power struggle that rocked Wall Street's most prestigious financial institution

What began with a shot over the bow ended in a shocking coup d'etat. In less than four months a group of eight retired executives orchestrated a stunning revolt within Morgan Stanley, the venerable and—until recently—most successful financial services firm on Wall Street
Published May 5th 2009 by HarperCollins e-books (first published December 31st 1975)

To ask other readers questions about Blue Blood and Mutiny, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blue Blood and Mutiny

Randy
Apr 29, 2011 Randy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm somewhat disappointed by this book, even though it's well written. Yes, I learned a lot about the world of finance and the history of Morgan Stanley, but I found this book to be repetitious. Also, most of the book is a diatribe against Phil Purcell, the man who became CEO of Morgan Stanley after it merged with Dean Witter.

The diatribe soon gets boring, especially because Ms. Beard doesn't show a glimmer of empathy for him. Cleary, Ms. Beard is completely on the side of the mutineers.

bookreader
One-sided, but essentially accurate, account of how an ill-conceived merger tarnished a great franchise. Also helped me unravel the political intrigue that marred my time at the firm.
George
Jun 15, 2013 George marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: on-hold
Only about a chapter or so in and I'm loving it. Very interesting... Would be a good pair with Michael Lewis's Liar's Poker. Gives history on the creation of Morgan Stanley; talks about the transformation of investment banks on Wall Street in the 1970s, '80s, and '90s. I hope it continues to be this good! For a $1 buy a Dollar Tree...a big win.
Joseph
Oct 27, 2011 Joseph rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book discusses the rise of the investment bank through the hard work and integrity of white-collar individuals. The drama is created by the turmoil of the Dean Witter merger under Phil Purcell. After turmoil at the top, a hero arrives in the form of veteran FID trader John Mack to return the bank's culture and performance to its roots.
Joelene
Oct 10, 2007 Joelene marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Will be starting this book shortly. Jim bought this and I initially wrote it off as a boring business book. But who am I to judge, as I discovered once I read the cover flap, I am not one to resist a story about a good scandal and shake up - even in the boring business world.
Aaron
Jul 29, 2012 Aaron rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Only an MS employee could enjoy this one, but I did. Nice history of the firm and interesting depiction of the battle for control that occurred at the time of my arrival at the firm. Seems a bit tame of an episode in light of the '08 crisis.
Pin Zhou
Sep 23, 2012 Pin Zhou marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Guess reading resembles chain actions, too, you find one book interesting, and the interesting one leads to more in its league.
Nathan
Oct 16, 2008 Nathan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a must read finacial thriller for anyone in the retail brokerage/investment banking industry.
Chris Abel
Jul 10, 2010 Chris Abel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: finance, business
If you have any interest in investment banking, finance, or Wall Street intrigue, this book is for you.
Rahulkrishna
Oct 20, 2011 Rahulkrishna rated it it was ok
I read this book.Pretty mediocre.Didnot like it
Anitauf
Feb 19, 2008 Anitauf marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I want to read this book.
Adrian
Adrian rated it liked it
Feb 07, 2016
Susan Conroy
Susan Conroy marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2016
Andrei Milekhin
Andrei Milekhin marked it as to-read
Jan 28, 2016
Han
Han rated it really liked it
Jan 17, 2016
Matt Kelly
Matt Kelly rated it it was amazing
Jan 26, 2016
Apoorv Agarwal
Apoorv Agarwal marked it as to-read
Jan 09, 2016
Kenya Hudson
Kenya Hudson marked it as to-read
Jan 06, 2016
Matthew
Matthew rated it it was amazing
Jan 02, 2016
Marty
Marty rated it liked it
Dec 28, 2015
Taimur
Taimur marked it as to-read
Dec 27, 2015
Kim Carlson
Kim Carlson marked it as to-read
Dec 26, 2015
Porter
Porter added it
Dec 24, 2015
Япон Живх
Япон Живх marked it as to-read
Dec 18, 2015
Venky
Venky marked it as to-read
Dec 12, 2015
Psychofatty
Psychofatty marked it as to-read
Dec 11, 2015
Asif Akbar
Asif Akbar rated it it was amazing
Dec 08, 2015
Graeme Milroy
Graeme Milroy marked it as to-read
Dec 04, 2015
G P
G P marked it as to-read
Nov 28, 2015
  • The Last Tycoons: The Secret History of Lazard Frères & Co.
  • The Lost Bank: The Story of Washington Mutual-The Biggest Bank Failure in American History
  • Tearing Down the Walls: How Sandy Weill Fought His Way to the Top of the Financial World. . .and Then Nearly Lost It All
  • Last Man Standing: The Ascent of Jamie Dimon and JPMorgan Chase
  • Greed and Glory on Wall Street: The Fall of the House of Lehman
  • Burn Rate : How I Survived the Gold Rush Years on the Internet
  • In an Uncertain World: Tough Choices from Wall Street to Washington
  • The Accidental Investment Banker: Inside the Decade That Transformed Wall Street
  • First in Thirst: How Gatorade Turned the Science of Sweat Into a Cultural Phenomenon
  • Goldman Sachs: The Culture Of Success
  • Inside the House of Money: Top Hedge Fund Traders on Profiting in a Global Market
  • Code Name Ginger: The Story Behind Segway and Dean Kamen's Quest to Invent a New World
  • The Partnership: The Making of Goldman Sachs
  • The Financial Crisis Inquiry Report: Final Report of the National Commission on the Causes of the Financial and Economic Crisis in the United States
  • Boo Hoo: $135 Million, 18 Months. . . A Dot.Com Story from Concept to Catastrophe
  • eBoys: The First Inside Account of Venture Capitalists at Work
  • Why Globalization Works
  • A Colossal Failure of Common Sense: The Inside Story of the Collapse of Lehman Brothers