Start by marking “Blue Blood and Mutiny” as Want to Read:
Blue Blood and Mutiny

Blue Blood and Mutiny

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  89 ratings  ·  10 reviews
The inside story of the power struggle that rocked Wall Street's most prestigious financial institution

What began with a shot over the bow ended in a shocking coup d'etat. In less than four months a group of eight retired executives orchestrated a stunning revolt within Morgan Stanley, the venerable and—until recently—most successful financial services firm on Wall Street.
Published May 5th 2009 by HarperCollins e-books (first published December 31st 1975)

To ask other readers questions about Blue Blood and Mutiny, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blue Blood and Mutiny

Randy
I'm somewhat disappointed by this book, even though it's well written. Yes, I learned a lot about the world of finance and the history of Morgan Stanley, but I found this book to be repetitious. Also, most of the book is a diatribe against Phil Purcell, the man who became CEO of Morgan Stanley after it merged with Dean Witter.

The diatribe soon gets boring, especially because Ms. Beard doesn't show a glimmer of empathy for him. Cleary, Ms. Beard is completely on the side of the mutineers.

George
Jun 15, 2013 George marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: on-hold
Only about a chapter or so in and I'm loving it. Very interesting... Would be a good pair with Michael Lewis's Liar's Poker. Gives history on the creation of Morgan Stanley; talks about the transformation of investment banks on Wall Street in the 1970s, '80s, and '90s. I hope it continues to be this good! For a $1 buy a Dollar Tree...a big win.
Joseph
The book discusses the rise of the investment bank through the hard work and integrity of white-collar individuals. The drama is created by the turmoil of the Dean Witter merger under Phil Purcell. After turmoil at the top, a hero arrives in the form of veteran FID trader John Mack to return the bank's culture and performance to its roots.
Joelene
Oct 10, 2007 Joelene marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Will be starting this book shortly. Jim bought this and I initially wrote it off as a boring business book. But who am I to judge, as I discovered once I read the cover flap, I am not one to resist a story about a good scandal and shake up - even in the boring business world.
Aaron
Only an MS employee could enjoy this one, but I did. Nice history of the firm and interesting depiction of the battle for control that occurred at the time of my arrival at the firm. Seems a bit tame of an episode in light of the '08 crisis.
Pin Zhou
Sep 23, 2012 Pin Zhou marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Guess reading resembles chain actions, too, you find one book interesting, and the interesting one leads to more in its league.
Nathan
This is a must read finacial thriller for anyone in the retail brokerage/investment banking industry.
Chris Abel
If you have any interest in investment banking, finance, or Wall Street intrigue, this book is for you.
Rahulkrishna
I read this book.Pretty mediocre.Didnot like it
Anitauf
Feb 19, 2008 Anitauf marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I want to read this book.
Shawn Adams
Shawn Adams marked it as to-read
Dec 15, 2014
Ruth Katz
Ruth Katz marked it as to-read
Dec 02, 2014
Gmendra Lau
Gmendra Lau marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2014
Dsw
Dsw added it
Nov 01, 2014
乃月 姜
乃月 姜 marked it as to-read
Oct 08, 2014
Chukwuemeka Obi
Chukwuemeka Obi marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2014
Dropby
Dropby added it
Sep 09, 2014
Sana Sareshwala
Sana Sareshwala is currently reading it
Aug 23, 2014
Piyush Singh
Piyush Singh is currently reading it
Aug 14, 2014
Sergio Pucciano
Sergio Pucciano marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2014
JD
JD added it
Jul 16, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
A Certain Summer After the Ball: Gilded Age Secrets, Boardroom Betrayals, and the Party That Ignited the Great Wall Street Scandal of 1905 Good Daughters: Loving Our Mothers as They Age Voice of the Wild: An Anthology of Animal Stories Growing Up Republican: Christie Whitman : The Politics of Character