Blue Blood and Mutiny

Blue Blood and Mutiny

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  80 ratings  ·  10 reviews
The inside story of the power struggle that rocked Wall Street's most prestigious financial institution

What began with a shot over the bow ended in a shocking coup d'etat. In less than four months a group of eight retired executives orchestrated a stunning revolt within Morgan Stanley, the venerable and—until recently—most successful financial services firm on Wall Street....more
Published May 5th 2009 by HarperCollins e-books (first published December 31st 1975)

Randy
I'm somewhat disappointed by this book, even though it's well written. Yes, I learned a lot about the world of finance and the history of Morgan Stanley, but I found this book to be repetitious. Also, most of the book is a diatribe against Phil Purcell, the man who became CEO of Morgan Stanley after it merged with Dean Witter.

The diatribe soon gets boring, especially because Ms. Beard doesn't show a glimmer of empathy for him. Cleary, Ms. Beard is completely on the side of the mutineers.

(Yes,...more
George
Jun 15, 2013 George marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: on-hold
Only about a chapter or so in and I'm loving it. Very interesting... Would be a good pair with Michael Lewis's Liar's Poker. Gives history on the creation of Morgan Stanley; talks about the transformation of investment banks on Wall Street in the 1970s, '80s, and '90s. I hope it continues to be this good! For a $1 buy a Dollar Tree...a big win.
Joseph
The book discusses the rise of the investment bank through the hard work and integrity of white-collar individuals. The drama is created by the turmoil of the Dean Witter merger under Phil Purcell. After turmoil at the top, a hero arrives in the form of veteran FID trader John Mack to return the bank's culture and performance to its roots.
Joelene
Oct 10, 2007 Joelene marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Will be starting this book shortly. Jim bought this and I initially wrote it off as a boring business book. But who am I to judge, as I discovered once I read the cover flap, I am not one to resist a story about a good scandal and shake up - even in the boring business world.
Aaron
Only an MS employee could enjoy this one, but I did. Nice history of the firm and interesting depiction of the battle for control that occurred at the time of my arrival at the firm. Seems a bit tame of an episode in light of the '08 crisis.
Pin Zhou
Sep 23, 2012 Pin Zhou marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Guess reading resembles chain actions, too, you find one book interesting, and the interesting one leads to more in its league.
Nathan
This is a must read finacial thriller for anyone in the retail brokerage/investment banking industry.
Chris Abel
If you have any interest in investment banking, finance, or Wall Street intrigue, this book is for you.
Rahulkrishna
I read this book.Pretty mediocre.Didnot like it
Anitauf
Feb 19, 2008 Anitauf marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I want to read this book.
Megan Lawson
Megan Lawson marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2014
Deepak Gupta
Deepak Gupta marked it as to-read
Mar 17, 2014
Kevin
Kevin marked it as to-read
Mar 05, 2014
Sarah marked it as to-read
Feb 20, 2014
Fazal E
Fazal E marked it as to-read
Feb 09, 2014
Edward Kok
Edward Kok marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2014
The Blacksmith
The Blacksmith marked it as to-read
Jan 14, 2014
Ed
Ed marked it as to-read
Nov 28, 2013
Tempa
Tempa marked it as to-read
Nov 18, 2013
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Nov 12, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
A Certain Summer After the Ball: Gilded Age Secrets, Boardroom Betrayals, and the Party That Ignited the Great Wall Street Scandal of 1905 Good Daughters: Loving Our Mothers as They Age Voice of the Wild: An Anthology of Animal Stories Growing Up Republican: Christie Whitman : The Politics of Character