Start by marking “Blue Blood and Mutiny” as Want to Read:
Blue Blood and Mutiny

Blue Blood and Mutiny

3.83  ·  Rating Details  ·  112 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
The inside story of the power struggle that rocked Wall Street's most prestigious financial institution

What began with a shot over the bow ended in a shocking coup d'etat. In less than four months a group of eight retired executives orchestrated a stunning revolt within Morgan Stanley, the venerable and—until recently—most successful financial services firm on Wall Street
Published May 5th 2009 by HarperCollins e-books (first published December 31st 1975)

To ask other readers questions about Blue Blood and Mutiny, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blue Blood and Mutiny

Randy
Apr 29, 2011 Randy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm somewhat disappointed by this book, even though it's well written. Yes, I learned a lot about the world of finance and the history of Morgan Stanley, but I found this book to be repetitious. Also, most of the book is a diatribe against Phil Purcell, the man who became CEO of Morgan Stanley after it merged with Dean Witter.

The diatribe soon gets boring, especially because Ms. Beard doesn't show a glimmer of empathy for him. Cleary, Ms. Beard is completely on the side of the mutineers.

bookreader
One-sided, but essentially accurate, account of how an ill-conceived merger tarnished a great franchise. Also helped me unravel the political intrigue that marred my time at the firm.
George
Jun 15, 2013 George marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: on-hold
Only about a chapter or so in and I'm loving it. Very interesting... Would be a good pair with Michael Lewis's Liar's Poker. Gives history on the creation of Morgan Stanley; talks about the transformation of investment banks on Wall Street in the 1970s, '80s, and '90s. I hope it continues to be this good! For a $1 buy a Dollar Tree...a big win.
Joseph
Oct 27, 2011 Joseph rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book discusses the rise of the investment bank through the hard work and integrity of white-collar individuals. The drama is created by the turmoil of the Dean Witter merger under Phil Purcell. After turmoil at the top, a hero arrives in the form of veteran FID trader John Mack to return the bank's culture and performance to its roots.
Joelene
Oct 10, 2007 Joelene marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Will be starting this book shortly. Jim bought this and I initially wrote it off as a boring business book. But who am I to judge, as I discovered once I read the cover flap, I am not one to resist a story about a good scandal and shake up - even in the boring business world.
Aaron
Jul 29, 2012 Aaron rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Only an MS employee could enjoy this one, but I did. Nice history of the firm and interesting depiction of the battle for control that occurred at the time of my arrival at the firm. Seems a bit tame of an episode in light of the '08 crisis.
Pin Zhou
Sep 23, 2012 Pin Zhou marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Guess reading resembles chain actions, too, you find one book interesting, and the interesting one leads to more in its league.
Nathan
Oct 16, 2008 Nathan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a must read finacial thriller for anyone in the retail brokerage/investment banking industry.
Chris Abel
Jul 10, 2010 Chris Abel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: finance, business
If you have any interest in investment banking, finance, or Wall Street intrigue, this book is for you.
Rahulkrishna
Oct 20, 2011 Rahulkrishna rated it it was ok
I read this book.Pretty mediocre.Didnot like it
Anitauf
Feb 19, 2008 Anitauf marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I want to read this book.
Malveeka
Malveeka marked it as to-read
May 02, 2016
Xingkai
Xingkai marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2016
Eliza Khachatryan
Eliza Khachatryan marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2016
Ruta Narkhede
Ruta Narkhede marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2016
Tanay
Tanay marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2016
Nesil Staney
Nesil Staney rated it really liked it
Apr 09, 2016
LEV GURMAN
LEV GURMAN marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2016
George Coulon
George Coulon marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2016
Christy Chin
Christy Chin marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2016
Divya Nair
Divya Nair marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2016
DING FENG
DING FENG rated it really liked it
Mar 28, 2016
Bandar K
Bandar K marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2016
Brajbhushan Tripathi
Brajbhushan Tripathi marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2016
Nick Kuneman
Nick Kuneman marked it as to-read
Mar 18, 2016
Michelle
Michelle marked it as to-read
Feb 21, 2016
Ngan Le
Ngan Le marked it as to-read
Feb 17, 2016
Jon
Jon rated it it was amazing
Feb 15, 2016
madhura
madhura marked it as to-read
Feb 13, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • The Last Tycoons: The Secret History of Lazard Frères & Co.
  • The Lost Bank: The Story of Washington Mutual-The Biggest Bank Failure in American History
  • Last Man Standing: The Ascent of Jamie Dimon and JPMorgan Chase
  • Greed and Glory on Wall Street: The Fall of the House of Lehman
  • Burn Rate : How I Survived the Gold Rush Years on the Internet
  • Tearing Down the Walls: How Sandy Weill Fought His Way to the Top of the Financial World. . .and Then Nearly Lost It All
  • In an Uncertain World: Tough Choices from Wall Street to Washington
  • The Accidental Investment Banker: Inside the Decade That Transformed Wall Street
  • First in Thirst: How Gatorade Turned the Science of Sweat Into a Cultural Phenomenon
  • Boo Hoo: $135 Million, 18 Months. . . A Dot.Com Story from Concept to Catastrophe
  • The Financial Crisis Inquiry Report: Final Report of the National Commission on the Causes of the Financial and Economic Crisis in the United States
  • Code Name Ginger: The Story Behind Segway and Dean Kamen's Quest to Invent a New World
  • The Sellout: How Three Decades of Wall Street Greed and Government Mismanagement Destroyed the Global Financial System
  • The Partnership: The Making of Goldman Sachs
  • eBoys: The First Inside Account of Venture Capitalists at Work
  • Goldman Sachs: The Culture Of Success
  • Inside the House of Money: Top Hedge Fund Traders on Profiting in a Global Market
  • Why Globalization Works