Start by marking “The Pack” as Want to Read:
The Pack

The Pack (The Pack #1)

3.92 of 5 stars 3.92  ·  rating details  ·  49 ratings  ·  28 reviews
Shamira is considered an outcast by most, but little do they know that she is on a mission. Kids on Mars are disappearing, but Shamira decides to use the criminals most unlikely weapons against them the very kids of which they have captured. In order to succeed, she is forced to trust another, something she is afraid to do. However, Valens, her connection to the underworld ...more
Published August 31st 2010 by Phenomenal One Press (first published August 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Pack, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Pack

**My review of The Pack is actually 3.5 stars**

I have to admit, I'm a sucker for a strong female protagonist. I tend to grow very weary of the "oh man, please save me!" protags I see sometimes in YA fiction, so when The Pack came to my attention, it caught it, mainly because of Shamira. She is a strong-willed, butt kicking female that I would be very proud to have my (as yet imaginary) daughter look up to.

Shamira is blind, and that is what appealed to me about her character even more. That said,
Ryan G
Shamira is a interesting character to read about. She starts of blind, which was caused by a childhood incident, and at first you think this will hold her back. She is walking home from school, but she is baiting the bad guys, she wants them to make a grab for her so she can kick their butts. When her wish comes true and one of them makes an attempt, it's interrupted by Valens who assumes that since she is blind, she can't take care of herself. Little does he know that Shamira is more than capab ...more
What I loved about this book was first the main character was a female of color who also had a disability. She was blinded but did not let that stop her for doing anything that she needs to be done. In fact she does have enhanced abilities that allow her to do things that most "average" people could not do physically. She hates pity and even hides her other abilities so she doesn't hurt those around her. Shamira also feels that with her abilities she can help figure out what has happened to the ...more
I believe everyone who's ever read any of my reviews already knows that I'm a sucker for strong female protagonists, especially in YA literature. Think Katsa from Graceling, Sylvie from The Splendor Falls, Janie from Wake... well, Shamira Nobel is one of those girls.
The Pack is about a group of kids on Mars who, once a major drug dealer starts to kidnap and kill off their family members, need to find a way to stay alive and help those they can. I've read it during one lazy afternoon, as I found
Erin (Bookish in a Box)
In The Pack, Earthling expat Shamira faces down her worst nightmares without the support of her family. She meets Valens, a teenage warrior like herself, who convinces her to let down her guard and help him lead a motley crew to find the missing children of Mars.

Honestly, The Pack by L. M. Preston wasn't exactly what I expected...but it was pretty awesome. It's geared toward an older MG or younger YA crowd with a simplistic and realistically repetitive writing style. (Repetitive usually means bo
Beverly McClure
By L. M. Preston

Take a hefty dose of action and adventure with a feisty heroine who is blind, but also has unusual powers. Add a touch of romance. Stir in missing kids. Season with the exotic planet of Mars. And what do you have? A must read novel, of course.

Author L. M. Preston’s novel for young adults, The Pack, contains all of these ingredients and more. Because she’s blind, most people believe sixteen-year-old Shamira is helpless. Little do they know the powers burning inside
Mishel Zabala
3.5 rating

L.M. Preston has created an entertaining and action-packed world filled with sci-fi fantasy for the young adult reader. Set on a colonized Mars, children are disappearing and the ones being targeted are not at random. Children of the Security Force Elite are being taken and Shamira feels she’s the only one that can save the missing children. When her beloved younger brother becomes a victim of the kidnappings Shamira sets out to find whoever is responsible and make them pay.

Shamira is
Sammee (I Want to Read That)
3.5 Stars

I wasn’t sure what to expect when I started reading this one. I don’t usually read science fiction so it was with some trepidation that I agreed to review this – I wasn’t sure if I would like the genre. I shouldn’t have worried – it was good fun!

Preston has an undemanding style of writing that is easy to get into. Although written in third person we still get the story from Shamira’s point of view and that works well. I found her to be a complicated character and one which I didn’t warm
Trupti Dorge (VioletCrush)
rating: 3.75

Kids are disappearing on Mars and the future looks bleak if nothing is done to stop it. Shamira’s parents are part of the elite security personnel of Mars. When the kids start disappearing, 16-year-old Shamira stars an investigation of her own and despite her parents protests goes out into the night to hunt them down and find out whats going on. So whats the surprise here? Shamira is blind AND the story is set on Mars.

It’s the year 2161 and Mars is colonized. Initially all the crimi
Paige Bradish
I received The Pack from the author for an honest review.

When I first picked up The Pack by LM Preston I was a little nervous to pick it up because I’ve never read any book that was about living life on mars to be honest I never thought I would be interested in something like that but I really enjoyed this book, I probably would have liked it a lot better if I was able to read this straight through without having to stop and read something else but I still enjoyed this very much.

The Pack is abou
Emma Michaels
I loved reading this novel. Shamira is amazing and someone who can be hard to relate to while still being someone anyone can relate to. All of us have been outcasts at one point or another, all of us have felt how hard it is to be in a situation where something terrible is happening but there is just no way you feel you can help. She shows that even if you are blind and all of the odds seem to be against you, if you step up to the plate you just might hit a home run.

L.M. Preston hit a home run w
I received this book in exchange for a honest review ~WaAr~

The Pack by Lm Preston is an exceptional and exciting read. I love the story and the imagination to come up with it. The author was very through in her descriptions of the scenes and events. I just love it! The characters are so real when you start reading that you believe that you are right there with them and fighting along side them. I love the dialog and the interaction between the characters because it just flows so smoothly. I love
Shamira is a wild child. She is always out tracking bad guys, even though her mother has threatened that the next time she comes home late she will be tagged. Shamira’s parents are members of the Security Force Elite on planet Mars. Shamira’s parents have been busy with trying to stop drug trafficking between Mars and Earth and the multiple disappears of children on Mars.

Shamira and her father travel to Earth for some business. While there, Shamira’s father learns that Shamira’s mother and brot
Shamira is blind, but that doesn't stop her from hunting down the bad guys that are kidnapping kids all over Mars. The bad guys have even started kidnapping members of The Security Force, which is near impossible. Shamira may have to start to trust people if she is going to bring Monev down. She doesn't know if she's ready for it, but she knows she doesn't have a choice.

I really enjoyed this novel for the first few chapters. After that, whoever was editing this book seemed to take a mini-vacatio
Apr 02, 2013 Kendall rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Young Adult Fans, Lovers of strong young leading ladies, Sci-Fiers
Shelves: ya-reads
THE PACK is packed full of all the elements needed to make a proper young adult read. I was highly impressed with the unique condition of the main character,Shamira. One of those solid, well created main characters, the author bled her soul into the creation of this character. Bravo.

The choices faced by the MC were typical of an exciting YA plot, but well executed in a most unique manner. There were parts I wish had been longer lasting and/or better detailed. The lacking of those points leaves
Lydia Presley
I would actually give this more a 2 1/2 stars.

The story being told here is one of Shamira, a blind teenage girl living in a colony on Mars. Her parents are part of the Elite Security Force and, as a result, she is also in training for the same job. She has super-human strength and agility.

The positives for me in this book were that was was full of action and the story really did have twists and turns in it that kept me guessing. It's written for a very young teen (I'd even argue 8-10 if it weren
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by YA Librarian Elizabeth for

Shamira is an unusual teen, in that she lives on Mars and does not remember anything about Earth. She is also unusual because she is blind, but does not want to undergo a surgery that will give her back her eyesight.

Her parents urge her to get the procedure, but she likes to rely on her instincts and her other senses, which she uses to fight criminals. When kids start disappearing on Mars and Shamira's brother's life is in danger, she is for
Well this book certainly caught me off guard. When I first received this book, I was doubtful that it would end up being something that I enjoyed. For once, I am glad to say I was wrong.

I loved Shamira's character. In the beginning I wasn't sure what she was about, but as the story unfolded, I discovered just how strong of a character she really is. She's tough, sassy, angry, full of rage, sweet, caring and sensitive all rolled into one.

I also found the setting to be unique and refreshing. I don
Jenny Bynum Black Words-White Pages
Sep 16, 2012 Jenny Bynum Black Words-White Pages rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Juvy/Teen
Recommended to Jenny Bynum by: LM Preston Author
10*s. I won a paperback copy directly from the author in return for an honest review.
I am not much into Sci-Fi but this book totally kicks butt, literally. I fell in love with Shamira from page one. She is a tantilizingly awesome heroine, and I would love to be like her when I grow up. I could relate to what Shamira waa going through because she felt so real to me and I cant forget her kick butt sidekick, Valens!! To live on Mars would be an awesome adventure too!! Thank you, LM, for this fabulo
I really enjoyed this book from new-to-me author LM Preston. The story line was original, the locales chosen unique for the YA genre, and she wasn't afraid to take chances with her characters. The writing style does wobble at times, but overall it was a kick-butt adventure with an unlikely female heroine that won't shy away from dimming the lights of any evil doers that mess with her family and new found friends. Can't wait to see what happens in the next should be good!
16-year-old Shamira is blind. She has unique abilities which allow her to function well on her own. When children begin to disappear Shamira decides she must find them despite her parents protests. When her beloved younger brother becomes a victim of the kidnappings Shamira realizes that she will have to start to trust people if she is going to bring the children home.
Willow Cross
I'm a sucker for sci-fi, especially when it's off planet with characters I can attach to. Shamira (the mc)is head-strong, quirky, and easy to fall in love with. The Pack has suspense, tension, and plenty of action. It's a wonderful story of overcoming seemingly insurmountable odds, reminding the reader that you only fail if you give up.
I can't wait to read The Pack: Retribution. Nuff said.

I would say more, but I don't have anything. I enjoyed the book. The story is good, the characters are good, it's all good :) You should try it out.
This is a great, page turning story. I really enjoyed the plot and the sci fi aspects of the book. My only complaint would be the sometimes too cheesy character character dialogue, but as this is YA I know that is there to appeal to the younger readers.

this book was ok, it was a bit cheesy at parts like P. 77, 100(the secret hideout), &158

I kind of wanted the heroine to stay blind, bc it made her more supernatural with her "sense"
Lizzy Lessard
Wish this was targeted for MG instead of YA. Rating would be much higher. Full review to come next week.
Kate L
Great YA novel, very entertaining and engaging characters
Harry Underwood
Harry Underwood marked it as to-read
Nov 08, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
LM. Preston was born and raised in Washington, DC. An avid reader, she loved to create poetry and short-stories as a young girl. With a thirst for knowledge she attended college at Bowie State University, and worked in the IT field as a Techie and Educator for over sixteen years. She started writing science fiction under the encouragement of her husband who was a Sci-Fi buff and her four kids. Her ...more
More about L.M. Preston...

The Pack (2 books)
  • The Pack: Retribution (The Pack #2)