Start by marking “Old Possum's Book of Practical Cats” as Want to Read:
Old Possum's Book of Practical Cats

Old Possum's Book of Practical Cats

4.07 of 5 stars 4.07  ·  rating details  ·  12,293 ratings  ·  511 reviews
Mr. T.S. Eliot's intimate friends received, from time to time, typewritten verses which were apparently anonymous but which were always identifiable. The poems which concern cats are presented here.
Published 2010 by Faber and Faber (first published 1939)

To ask other readers questions about Old Possum's Book of Practical Cats, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Old Possum's Book of Practical Cats

Manny
To My New Feline Friend

I know an Abyssinian
her name in French is Silicate

The rest of this review is available elsewhere (the location cannot be given for Goodreads policy reasons)
helen the bookowl
If you're a cat-lover (as I am), then this is a must-read for you! This is a charming book written in verse, and each chapter is dedicated to a different kind of cat with its own kind of personality. This just goes to show how many personalities a cat can really have and I loved it :)
Teresa
Gosto de poesia; gosto de gatos. Adorei este livro.
Mas, se não gostasse de poesia nem de gatos, de certeza que, mesmo assim, adoraria este livro.
Durante cerca de meia hora, pespegou-se-me um sorriso nos lábios que, periodicamente, desaparecia para ser trocado por uma gargalhada...
Quer os poemas, quer as ilustrações são lindos e divertidos e, embora T. S. Eliot os tivesse escrito para crianças, qualquer adulto se enternecerá com eles.
Um livro que recomendo a quem gosta de gatos e não só...

"Há nes
Leslie
I had always thought of T.S. Eliot as a difficult and gloomy poet, so these poems were a revelation! Such light-hearted fun which really benefits from being read aloud & the Edward Gorey illustrations were marvelous too.
Catriona
This is a whimsical book full of adventure and fun
With cats playing and sleeping and those who even run
I think it was the best book ever, but
I laughed so hard I almost busted a gut!
Nothing is better, not even in the slightest
Read it again? I sure mightest!
With the magic Mr. Mistoffelees, so quiet and sly
Quite the mysterious guy.
Or
* Macavity, Macavity, there’s no one like Macavity
He’s broken human law, he defies the law of gravity*
I recommend this book to you all,
Though the stories are quite tal
Davie Bennett
Little-known fact, this book of children's poetry by T.S. Eliot was the inspiration for the cringe-worthy Broadway musical, "Cats." Many of the poems are the lyrics, verbatim, for the show. But if you, like so many others, are revulsed or terrified by the thought of those cavorting, feline freaks on stage, well, just try and put it out of your mind. These are fun poems for kids, and would make great bedtime reading! Unless you are a dog family, in which case you should probably go with "Clifford ...more
Nathan "N.R." Gaddis
Apr 04, 2013 Nathan "N.R." Gaddis rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Cats
Recommended to Nathan "N.R." by: Cats
[Just like a BUMbersticker:]

Like this Review if you like cats but hate Cats (and can tell the dIFFérance).

the ReVue:
T.S. Elliot poetry about cats.

Edward Gorey drawings about cats.

Cats doing what cats do.

A winning trilogy of characters, that.
Petergiaquinta
So, I'm really more of a dog guy, and I don't know if that's the reason or if it was the horribly ridiculous musical or what, but despite considering T.S. Eliot as one of my favorite poets during my college days and despite owning a copy of this book for at least fifteen years, I'd never read these poems until today.

I'm curious what motivated Eliot to write these funny and clever little ditties for kitties--the writer feels more like Edward Lear than the elusive, erudite author of "The Hollow Me
Kim
When looking through lists of poetry books trying to decide which to read for my book challenge I knew I couldn't pass this one. Cats the Musical, and this book, are my wifes' favourite and she named my cat after Mr Mistoffelees.

It was an amusing little book with fun, kitty stories though was a touch racist in parts. After reading certain poems I watched YouTube clips of the Cats version and found they never quite fit what I had in my head. The tempo of the poems in the book is quite fast which
Rachel
I'm unpacking all my books from the move and have decided A) Eliot will be allowed on my office bookshelf because I think he'd be perfectly at home there and B) I should really reread his stuff, since it has been a while. (Do you hear that?? REREAD!!)

Yes, the Broadway musical Cats is based on the Book of Practical Cats, but I don't feel like they're one and the same --- the musical has taken on a life of its own and much of the charm of Eliot's original poetry has been lost. His metre is absolut
Tweedledum
Schrödinger's cat

Schrödinger's cat's a mystery cat, he illustrates the laws;
The complicated things he does have no apparent cause;
He baffles the determinist, and drives him to despair
For when they try to pin him down--the quantum cat's not there!

Schrödinger's cat's a mystery cat, he's given to random decisions;
His mass is slightly altered by a cloud of virtual kittens;
The vacuum fluctuations print his traces in the air
But if you try to find him, the quantum cat's not there!

Schrödinger's ca
aPriL eVoLvEs (ex-Groot)
"Before a Cat will condescend
To treat you as a trusted friend,
Some little token of esteem
Is needed, like a dish of cream;
And you might now and then supply
Some caviare, or Strassburg Pie,
Some potted grouse, or salmon paste--
He's sure to have his personal taste.
(I know a Cat, who makes a habit
Of eating nothing else but rabbit,
And when he's finished, licks his paws
So's not to waste the onion sauce.)"

: )

Very cute and pleasant.
Chana
Purrrr-fect!

It is more rhyming than poetry, kind of an early Dr. Suess or Shel Silverstein; funny rhymes that people can laugh about. And it is about cats, what could be better? I was charmed by the use of language, the creative rhyming and the cats themselves.

From "The Old Gumbie Cat"

But when the day's hustle and bustle is done,
Then the Gumbie Cat's work is but hardly begun
And when all the family's in bed and asleep,
She slips down the stairs to the basement to creep.
She is deeply concerned w
Kwoomac
This book was on my Recommendations book shelf, I hope because I'm a huge fan of Edward Gorey, not a crazy cat lady. Unfortunately for me, my library didn't have the edition that Gorey illustrated. So, I read this one. Actually, the illustrations were the only thing I enjoyed about the book. I felt like Eliot was trying too hard to be clever with the names and none of them worked for me. Cap'n Wussenfuss, now that would've been a good name but he didn't come up with that name, I did. They have n ...more
Rebecca
T.S. Eliot oughta immortalise my cat. *nods*
*envisions dueling Lloyd Webber for her memory*

Photobucket
Metoo
Oh how fantastic, T. S. Eliot!! I can just imagine you letting your imagination run free, having a ball (a Jellicle!) w/ those marvelous rhymes! I decided to read this work of yours after watching "Cats" last week on PBS, the musical based on this work. I wanted to see how 'Memories' & the cat who sang it came into your cat lexicon. But, I now know I have to check w/ ALWebber for that. ;-)

{PS. For the record, I'm a dog lover -- never, unfortunately, been loved by a cat. But I can still like
George
TOTALLY DELIGHTFUL!

"But I tell you, a cat needs a name that's particular,
Else how can he keep up his tail perpendicular,
Or spread out his whiskers, or cherish his pride"—'The Naming of Cats'

Having recently had the opportunity to enjoy multiple performances of McCoy Rigby Entertainment's very excellent regional theater production of Andrew Lloyd Webber's popular stage musical, CATS, here in Southern California; I was compelled, finally, to go to the so
Quo
Long before Andrew Lloyd Webber's fabled musical, I read Old Possum's Book of Practical Cats to my sons and to one of them just after he was born, though I suspect the readings have had no lasting impact of them. These feline tales by Mr. Eliot stand as an interesting counterpoint to The Wasteland and Eliot's more serious musings and they have a kind of enduring charm for me, though they may seem rather dated & even ufunny to many others.

I am reminded of Fernando Pessoa's comment that withi
Jo
"But I tell you, a cat needs a name that's particular,
Else how can he keep up his tail perpendicular,
Or spread out his whiskers, or cherish his pride?"

I have to admit that it was an embarrassingly short time ago when I realised that the poems written by T.S Eliot provided the lyrics for the musical Cats.
Don’t get me wrong, I knew that the musical was based on these poems (I’m not completely culturally challenged, I’ll have you know), but I had no idea
Scurra
Ephemeral things tend, by their very nature, to be lost to posterity. Something that wasn't meant to survive usually doesn't. In many cases, this is perfectly fine but far too often good stuff is lost too.

But if someone gains a reputation, then sometimes the more ephemermal stuff comes along with it. After all, it will generally be regarded as being a part of the "canon", no matter how trivial.

Old Possum is a great example of this. There is nothing in here that will change your view of the world
Rusty
If you saw and enjoyed the wonderful musical, Cats, you will love this book, which was first published in 1939. Not long ago joined our granddaughter at a performance of Cats and I remembered that I wanted to read this one. Let me share some of the wonderful phrases that found their way into musical. "Jellicle Cats come out to-night Jellicle Cats come one and all: The Jellicle Moon is shining bright - Jellicles come to the Jellicle Ball. " Or, "I have a Gumbie Cat in mind, her name is Jennyanydo ...more
April
Aug 25, 2013 April rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: cat lovers, poetry lovers
Recommended to April by: Kirsty
A beautiful gift received by Kirsty, 'Old Possum's Book of Practical Cats' was gorgeously fun, and warmed my heart all the way through. An avid cat lover myself, I was charmed by each feline and thought it excellent the characters that Eliot spun for each. Fun and absorbing, it further persuaded me to pick up Eliot's later collection of poems, as it was absolutely wonderful. 'The Naming of Cats' was surely my favourite!
“The Naming of Cats is a difficult matter,
It isn't just one of your holiday
hypothermya
Aug 23, 2007 hypothermya rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Lovers of fun poetry, E. Gorey collectors, Andrew Lloyd Webber afficienados
Shelves: literature, poetry
I was given this book for a holiday present by AJ several years ago. He hunted down a first edition of the Edward Gorey illustrated version, which just happens to have been printed the same year as I was born. Needless to say, this is one of the books of which I'm very protective.

The book itself is a very sharp deviation from what T.S. Elliot normally writes. Compared with, say, The Wasteland, this book looks as though it was written by an entirely different author. However, that does not make
Shayla Fish
Apr 18, 2012 Shayla Fish rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: cat lovers, poets
I finally found this book hidden in our local library. I had looked for it time and time again before, but could never find it because it wasn't placed where it's call number said it would be.

and I was fairly disappointed after reading it.

It's a good representation of cats, making them more anthropomorphic in a kind of a humorous manner. What I technically mean is that by using real qualities in cats, the author interpreted them in a fictional way and we totally understand it.

Maybe I didn't lik
Nicola Ward
I've been a fan of the musical for years and even did a project on it in drama college, so I had to study the book then too. I love it, it's great, so clever and so much fun. I just re-read it right now and still love it as much. This edition is a gorgeous keepsake for my collection. The illustrations are funny and adorable too. I can't help singing the songs in my head as I read the poems. There is also an additional poem that wasn't in the musical, which is a nice bonus. I will definitely keep ...more
Jacky
Purrrfect browsing for cats who can't read, but like to look at pictures of classy cats. (^●ω●^)ノ
Petr
Roztomilá prča a výbornej překlad Jiřího Joska.
Mary Overton
You've read of several kinds of Cat,
And my opinion now is that
You should need no interpreter
To understand their character.
You now have learned enough to see
That Cats are much like you and me
And other people whom we find
Possessed of various types of mind.
For some are sane and some are mad
And some are good and some are bad
And some are better, some are worse -
But all may be described in verse.

I look forward to attending the musical, CATS, and in preparation am studying Eliot's "Practical Cats" poem
Leticia
Cute collection of poems. My favorite was, " The Pekes and the Pollicles".
Minh Quan Nguyen
This is a hilarious book about cats. I laugh so much when reading these poems of Eliot. These poems are full of everyday behaviour of cats and Eliot with his genius use of language makes these become so charming and hilarious. I like dog much more than cat but these poems are so good.

When the family assembled for Sunday dinner,
With their minds made up that they wouldn't get thinner
On Argentine point, potatoes and greens,
And the cook would appear from behind the scenes
And say in a voice that wa
  • The Complete Verse and Other Nonsense
  • Kid
  • High Windows
  • The Epiplectic Bicycle
  • Poetry for Cats: The Definitive Anthology of Distinguished Feline Verse
  • The War Poems
  • Tell Me the Truth about Love
  • Death of a Naturalist
  • Crow: From the Life and Songs of the Crow (Faber Library)
  • Making Cocoa for Kingsley Amis
  • You Read to Me, I'll Read to You
  • The School for Cats
  • Angus and the Cat
  • The World's Wife
  • Cat
Thomas Stearns Eliot was a poet, dramatist and literary critic. He received the Nobel Prize in Literature in 1948 "for his outstanding, pioneer contribution to present-day poetry." He wrote the poems The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock, The Waste Land, The Hollow Men, Ash Wednesday, and Four Quartets; the plays Murder in the Cathedral and The Cocktail Party; and the essay Tradition and the Individ ...more
More about T.S. Eliot...
The Waste Land and Other Poems The Waste Land Collected Poems, 1909-1962 The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock and Other Poems Four Quartets

“The name that no human research can discover--
But THE CAT HIMSELF KNOWS, and will never confess.
When you notice a cat in profound meditation,
The reason, I tell you, is always the same:
His mind is engaged in a rapt contemplation
Of the thought, of the thought, of the thought of his name:
His ineffable effable
Effanineffable
Deep and inscrutable singular Name.”
30 likes
“The Naming of Cats is a difficult matter,
It isn't just one of your holiday games;
You may think at first I'm as mad as a hatter
When I tell you, a cat must have THREE DIFFERENT NAMES.
First of all, there's the name that the family use daily,
Such as Peter, Augustus, Alonzo or James,
Such as Victor or Jonathan, or George or Bill Bailey -
All of them sensible everyday names.
There are fancier names if you think they sound sweeter,
Some for the gentlemen, some for the dames:
Such as Plato, Admetus, Electra, Demeter -
But all of them sensible everyday names.
But I tell you, a cat needs a name that's particular,
Else how can he keep up his tail perpendicular,
Or spread out his whiskers, or cherish his pride?
Of names of this kind, I can give you a quorum,
Such as Munkustrap, Quaxo, or Coricopat,
Such as Bombalurina, or else Jellylorum -
Names that never belong to more than one cat.
But above and beyond there's still one name left over,
And that is the name that you never will guess;
The name that no human research can discover -
But THE CAT HIMSELF KNOWS, and will never confess.
When you notice a cat in profound meditation,
The reason, I tell you, is always the same:
His mind is engaged in a rapt contemplation
Of the thought, of the thought, of the thought of his name:
His ineffable effable
Effanineffable
Deep and inscrutable singular Name.”
29 likes