Spellbound

Spellbound (Once Upon #3)

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  5,361 ratings  ·  132 reviews
Leave it to number-one bestselling author Nora Roberts to spin a tale that blurs the boundaries between reality and fantasy, modern-day mishaps and ancient curses, obsession and undying passion. She'll have you cheering for love to win the day as a man and woman discover just how deep their bond lies�and how some dreams are meant to be.

Spellbound follows world-famous photo...more
Audio CD, 0 pages
Published October 15th 2010 by Brilliance Audio (first published January 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Spellbound, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Spellbound

I bought this for a few reasons:

1)I was trying to read 100 books in 2006 and this was thin and looked fast.
2)I didn't have to pay for it.
3)I thought it would be a good excuse to dip my toes in the pool of romance books written by Nora.

I have to say it was better than I thought. Having shelved her books on bookstore shelves aproximatly 4 million times in my life - I always wondered at her success. I think she might even have more novels out than Daniel Steel - which is kind of amazing when you t...more
Cindy Christiansen
As a reader, I liked this book. It's not really my genre, but I was curious to read a Nora Roberts' book and found it interesting. Her writing style in this book was kinda over the top for me. In comparison, it reminded me of the spoofs they do on old detective shows where it is so obviously over dramatic. That's how this book hit me--over dramatic. But, it was still an enjoyable read.

As an author, it amazed me that a top author like her could break so many writing rules. I stand by the fact tha...more
Amy
Spellbound – Nora Roberts – Spellbound follows world-famous photographer Calin Farrell on his much-needed vacation in Ireland. While there, Calin becomes bewitched by the ravishingly beautiful Bryna Torrence, even if he refuses to believe in the spell that has brought them together-and could destroy them both.

I finished the book, all 1447 pages of it and I am unfortunately disappointed. I had high hopes for this book, it has magic, love, adventure and written by the famed Nora Roberts. I don’t...more
D.J. Westerfield
I never thought I'd "one-star" a Nora Roberts book, but there it is. I didn't even finish this one. Barely got past chapter 1. I had a hard time with all of the sexual metaphors. Though that is something I usually like (I'm no prude), they were so cheesy and I felt like many of them were inappropriate, like the "cat rubbed seductively on his leg" or "stroked the cat to ecstasy". I'm paraphrasing, of course, but those are the basic words. One or two like that are one thing, but he also felt a "st...more
Carla.Simoes Simoes
tendo em conta que isto é um conto e nao um livro normal dou sem duvida 4 estrelas a enfeitiçado.

uma das coisas que mais me irrita nos romances habituais é o facto dos personagens cairem de amores um pelo outro logo depois de se terem conhecido, eu atraçao é claro que percebo que aconteça mas amor eterno logo depois? nao consigo perceber, ja cheguei a conclusao que sou ceptica em relaçao ao amor a primeira vista. mas este livro conseguiu contornar esse promenor na perfeiçao, com toda aquela his...more
Agnes
I really expected more from Nora Roberts. I did not expect this fantasy world that Cal and Bryna were in. Yes I see the love story within but I personally could not get passed the dreams and powers.
Elaine Dowling
A novella that should have been a novel. Interesting legend, I would have liked to have read the whole story.
Melissa Ferguson
Wow...this is just bad. Not awesomely bad, just stupidly bad.
Margaret
This book was terrible, but at least it is mercifully short.
Hazel
This is more of a short story than anything. It was okay. But because of the length everything happens at an accelerated pace. Which doesn't always do much for the believability of a story. I didn't totally buy the story because of that. A thousand year old spell, reincarnation, a witch, a warrior? Hmmmmm ok. I suppose you could fall in love in one day. But want to risk your life for someone after a day? That's pretty hard to believe even if you were their reincarnated soul mate. I believe in ro...more
Gina Hott
Colin has spent his life thinking he was crazy. Throughout his childhood he had a friend no one else could see.
He had dreams of people and places he couldn't have possibly known. It was so very real to him that his parents sent him to doctors and psychiatrists trying to determine why he was 'different'. He started to feel like he wasn't normal - until he stopped knowing these things while he was awake and stopped telling anyone about the dreams.

Then, one day during a conversation with his parent...more
Christine
I plucked this one out of the depths of my to-be-read shelf while looking for a different book and decided to give it a go since it was so short. The premise of the story is promising--two people whose lives and love for each other have been tied together for a thousand years. Bryna Torrence has always been fully aware of their destined connection while Calin Farrell has practically no idea other than the dreams that have haunted him his whole life. They're finally brought together and Bryna has...more
Joana M.
★★★☆☆

Sinopse:
Spellbound : Photographer Colin Farrell is struggling to shut out the strangely vivid dreams that have beset him since childhood. Then, during a visit to Ireland, he meets the bewitchingly beautiful Bryna, who reveals that their destinies are bound by an ancient spell.

Ever After : After discovering an ancient pendant while on a trip to Ireland, beautiful Allena finds herself stranded on a distant island after a strange storm. She's rescued by rugged and surly Conal, who is horrif...more
April
I've been meaning to try one of Nora Roberts' books, and this is the first I've read. Honestly, I was surprised at the amount of fantasy that was in the book; I was under the impression that she did only historical and contemporary romance, as well as romantic suspense under another name, and I did not expect a story about a witch and reincarnation.

The writing was good, however, and at times lyrical and poetic, but that's kind of what I would expect from a story that is more fairy tale than roma...more
Duncan Mandel
Leave it to number-one bestselling author Nora Roberts to spin a tale that blurs the boundaries between reality and fantasy, modern-day mishaps and ancient curses, obsession and undying passion. She'll have you cheering for love to win the day as a man and woman discover just how deep their bond lies-and how some dreams are meant to be.
Manjula
Hmmmmm, this book is a a fairy tale for adults. Captivating writing the same old story but in a new set up. Trying to merge reality with fantasy. Witch, wizard and the brave man or warrior. Nora Roberts writing draws you deep into the story. Its complete, Bryna the wise, the witch who is spell bound for hundred years times ten waits for her warrior Calean Farell in the modern time to save her from the Alasdair the wizard.
The castle of secrets in Ireland, the cottage near the castle where Bryna l...more
Pam

AUTHOR: ROBERTS, Nora
TITLE: Spellbound (previously published as a SS in Once Upon A Castle)
DATE READ: 10/05/10
RATING: 4/B
GENRE/PUB DATE/PUBLISHER/# OF PGS: Romance/1998 in SS anthology & 2005 as stand alone novella/Jove/81 pgs
SERIES/STAND ALONE: Stand Alone
TIME/PLACE: 1990's NY & Ireland
CHARACTERS: Calin Farrell/photographer, Bryna Torrence
FIRST LINES: Calin Farrell, you need a vacation.
COMMENTS: A little magic/paranormal romance. Calin had recurring dreams as a young boy of a warrior be...more
Jennifer Brown
I read Spellbound for book club. Although I knew it was a short story before I read it I was still disappointed that it was only a short story. I felt like it was a first draft from an author testing out her storyline. I think it would have made a good book. Most in our group scored it 2, but I gave it a 3 because I thought it was good and I would have liked to have seen it more developed.

I also thought it was funny that I had to take a break from reading First Grave on the Right, which was a pa...more
pamela
Hard to start the book but good after that this is the only author I read

good book enjoy reading the series Nora Roberts has wide variety of subjects and location in her books keeps it I interesting

Patricia Franz
Loved this,,,had to wait for the second one to come in, and was not disappointed. Loved reading about Ireland as well. I have avoided Nora Roberts books,,,but was not disappointed! Light read and fun!
Maria-Regina Caputo
Good Read

Good Read

Very interesting read. Makes me want to visit Ireland. Looking forward to my next book by Nora Roberts. Happy reading.
Chy
This is kind of weird. I actually read a book that had this one, Ever After and In Dreams in it, but I can't load a page with that combined edition on it. Neither can I get to the other two books, on their own.

Anyway. I feel pretty 'meh' about them, but the third one was a "Beauty and the Beast" story, I swear---only it wasn't, which made me angry, mainly because it took me so long to figure out it hadn't really intended to be.

Or something.

Also, is it just these three novels, or does Nora Robert...more
Qtaad
wasn't much to it. it was a fast read. hard to say if I enjoyed, I think I expected more, it was too much of a jump-in-feet-first story that ended with no satisfaction.
James Perkins
I thought I'd give a writer I hadn't tried before an opportunity to impress me with her story-weaving skills. Unfortunately, I was sadly disappointed. This book is an attempt at a sweeping saga in short form; instead, it comes across as pretentious. Unrealistic, cardboard characters who speak trite, B-movie dialogue coupled with sword-and-sorcery cliches missing almost any dramatic tension snowball into a predictable, dull story: it contains almost everything you shouldn't do to create a quality...more
+ Dragonfly+
Was surprised to fine this one, I hadn't heard of it but its just the kind of book I like to read. Should have known being a Nora Roberts book.
Duane
My first Nora Roberts book and not what I expected, but I'll not form any opinions on one short book. It wasn't bad. It was cute and somewhat entertaining, r-rated in spots.
Jennifer Arnold
The premise is interesting but the story was very predictable. Worth a quick read (it's really short) if you want a quick romance fix.
Rachele Stunich
I thought the wording was horrible...and the ending was poor.
Espiral
ler tudo o que apanho à mão dá nisto. bah
Kristina Vance
Very short enjoyable tale
  • Suite 606 (includes In Death, #27.5)
  • Immortality (Immortal Witches, #4)
  • Dead Sexy (Harlequin Blaze #358)
  • Kiss Me Quick (Kiss Me, #1)
  • Under the Mistletoe
  • Flesh and Stone (Les Gargouillen #2)
  • The Mammoth Book of Irish Romance
aka
Jill March
J.D. Robb
Sarah Hardesty

Eleanor Marie Robertson was born on October 10, 1950 in Silver Spring, Maryland, USA. She was the youngest of five children, also the only girl, of a marriage with Irish ancestors. Her family were avid readers, so books were always important in her life. She attended a Catholic school and credits the nuns with instilling in her a sense of discipline. During her...more
More about Nora Roberts...