Start by marking “What Casanova Told Me: A Novel” as Want to Read:
What Casanova Told Me: A Novel

What Casanova Told Me: A Novel

3.3 of 5 stars 3.30  ·  rating details  ·  132 ratings  ·  9 reviews
A dazzlingly imagined novel that embraces two centuries, two young women, a long-lost journal, and the mystery of the legendary Casanova's last great love.

It's 1797, and an aging Casanova has returned to Venice in disguise to elude the authorities. There he meets Asked For Adams, the niece of American president John Adams, who is accompanying her father on a trade mission,
Published June 6th 2005 by Bloomsbury USA (first published September 7th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about What Casanova Told Me, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What Casanova Told Me

I had recently watched the 'Masterpiece Theater' version of 'Casanova' staring David Tennant (whom I'm a huge fan) and Peter O'Toole. So I was craving more about this curious person and went to my local library. They didn't have any copies or even a 'Cliffnotes' version of the book actually written by Giacomo Casanova but I did stumble across this little piece of fiction.

The concept the story is written in is not one I particularly like. Its the letter/diary style that Bram Stoker used and Eliza
Luce's mom has died, and she's traveling to Crete for the burial services. Accompanying Luce is Lee, her mom's lover. Luce is also giving to a museum several letters from Jacob Casanova that belonged to her ancestor Asked-For Adams, the niece of President Adams. This book is an intersting blend of past and present. Luce carries Asked-For's journal,which ends abruptly. Luce must find out what happened to her ancestor, and come to peace with her mother's death and her mother's lover. It wasn't exa ...more
Not my usual reading fare, and not really my cup of tea, either. This book is well crafted, though, and I very much enjoyed both of the protagonists--present-day Luce, and her ancestor Asked For. The book got a little tedious at times, and it felt bogged down because it was going in so many directions. But it's a solid story, with interesting twists and turns, and likable narrators.
What Casanova Told Me: A Novel by Susan Swan is an epistolary style novel, which generally I loathe to read, but this book was quite engaging! Isn't it odd how I find myself quite enjoying historical fiction? Never thought I would.
This was probably the worst novel I ever read in my entire life. If it were possible to give it zero stars, I would do that. No sense of history. Politically correct. Pretentious. Don't waste your time.
This book made me want to pack my bags and take to the seas looking for love and adventure. I really enjoyed it and would recommend it to anyone looking for a fun, sexy and inspiring read.
The description of this book looks really good, sadly I just can't get into it. Maybe I will try it later, when I am not distracted. I am just struggling with wanting to read it.
Lovely work of "historical" fiction. A great read for literary fans.
Interesting tale of historical nature.
Kate marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2015
Barbara marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2015
Jess marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2015
Betsy marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2015
Angel Yang
Angel Yang marked it as to-read
May 31, 2015
Rebecca marked it as to-read
May 31, 2015
Bella marked it as to-read
May 19, 2015
Alyssa marked it as to-read
May 11, 2015
Pat added it
Apr 01, 2015
Vesna marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2015
  • David
  • The Ruby Ring
  • Hell On Wheels
  • A Seat at the Table: A Novel of Forbidden Choices
  • Shadow of the Knife (Celaeno, #5)
  • Life on Planet Mom: A Down-To-Earth Guide to Your Changing Relationships
  • The Whispers of Nemesis
  • Articles about Books By John Grisham
  • Fangs: The Vampire Archives, Volume 2
  • The Serpent and the Pearl  (The Borgias, #1)
  • Siege
  • Out on the Sound (The Adventures of Decky and Charlie, #1)
  • The Memory Key (Commissario Alec Blume #4)
  • The Narrowboat Girl
Journalist, feminist, novelist, activist, teacher, Susan Swan’s impact on the Canadian literary and political scene has been far-reaching. Susan Swan’s critically acclaimed fiction has been published in twenty countries. Her new novel, The Western Light, shares a heroine with her international bestseller, The Wives of Bath (published September 2012).

Swan’s last novel, What Casanova Told Me, was p
More about Susan Swan...
The Wives of Bath The Western Light Biggest Modern Woman Of The World Stupid Boys Are Good To Relax With Last of the Golden Girls