Start by marking “Achingly Alice (Alice, #10)” as Want to Read:
Achingly Alice (Alice, #10)

Achingly Alice (Alice #10)

3.9  ·  Rating Details ·  1,326 Ratings  ·  46 Reviews
Alice has decided she needs priorities in her life -- and the first is to get her favorite teacher, Miss Summers, to marry her father. The only problem is that the vice principal, Mr. Sorringer, wants to marry Miss Summers too, and Miss Summers seems to be having trouble making up her mind.How can someone be in love with two people at the same time? It doesn't make sense t ...more
Published November 1st 2003 by Simon Pulse (first published June 1st 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Achingly Alice, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Achingly Alice

Chris
Aug 09, 2011 Chris rated it liked it
I don't know why everyone has such a tizzy about these books. They are quite wholesome in my opinion. It's nothing that girls on a playground aren't discussing everyday in any town.
Laura Hughes
Mar 30, 2013 Laura Hughes rated it it was ok
Shelves: girly-ya
Alice goes too far trying to engineer a happy ending for her dad and Miss Summers, but she gains some sympathy for Miss Summers' torn-between-two-lovers drama as she gets to know Sam from Camera Club while still dating Patrick. (Christmas through spring, eighth grade)

Random Observations:

* I'm calling it: this is the book when Alice officially becomes a boring stick-in-the-mud. She complains like a crotchety old woman about watching the ball drop at New Years, yet turns down an unsupervised party
Kirsten
Nov 13, 2009 Kirsten rated it really liked it
I liked this one - and it even had a curve ball or two! My main objection is to the medical advice to douche! Um, no, please don't! - what year was this written again? But Alice's heart-to-heart with Miss Summers at the end was awesome. Each book has another incremental step toward Alice growing up.
Ellica
Dec 11, 2013 Ellica rated it really liked it
Finished! In love with this book, although I don't think that this is the best book to read after reading "The Grooming Of Alice" (another book in the series) because the plot of this book was all before the plot in "The Grooming Of Alice"however, it's a really great book and I would recommend it to any 12 or teenage girl to read.
Maria
Apr 09, 2015 Maria rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
The winter of Alice's eighth grade year poses a whole new set of challenges and excitements.

As the title suggests, Alice finds herself aching in a multitude of ways. She desperately wants her dad and favorite teacher, Miss Summers, to tie the knot, but Miss Summers is torn between Alice's dad and an old flame (who just happens to be the middle school vice principal, Mr. Sorringer).

While Alice is at first angry at Miss Summers, she soon finds herself feeling a little more sympathy when Alice her
Sara
May 10, 2015 Sara rated it it was ok
Recently I read the book "Achingly Alice" by Phyllis Reynolds Naylor, which is a story about Alice, the main character, and the events that take place as she tries to get her teacher to marry her father who're in love. The cover is what caught my eye as I thought it'd be a sweet romance considering the cover, it was bland though. The best part in this book honestly had to be when Alice was crying realizing she meddled too much in the lives of others. I felt she deserved to feel terrible for her ...more
Samantha
Aug 25, 2012 Samantha rated it liked it
Alice is really beginning to fret over her dad's love life and takes matters into her own hands to speed things up, but her fib about Mr. Sorringer seeing another woman doesn't help her dad out and makes her feel awful. It takes a walk in Miss Summer's shoes for Alice to understand what it's like to not be able to make up your mind about matters involving the heart as Alice herself has mixed emotions about Patrick and a boy from the Camera Club named Sam.

Meanwhile, a yeast infection sends Eliza
Katy
Aug 28, 2009 Katy rated it it was amazing
I've been following the Alice Series for several years, and I think they're really good! Alice McKinley is a very relatable character and I think she makes a good role model. She's not slutty, rude, overly-dramatic, or the kind of girl you just wanna slap in the face(well, ok she can be when she does really stupid things, but oh well...). She's just average, and although she makes mistakes sometimes, you always know that she means well and is somehow always able to fix the problem at hand. I lo ...more
Mar 12, 2016 Jennifer rated it really liked it
Reynolds Naylor is so great at writing about adolescence, and this book explores many topics. One of Alice's friends gets her first pelvic exam, and goes into detail about it. While it could've come across as didactic, it is absolutely needed as girls reading this book are desperate to learn about what happens during an exam. Alice also has honest discussions about sex with her brother and dad. Her brother is a bit mortified, but her dad goes along with it and answers her with the truth. He is d ...more
Megan
Typical book from the Alice series. Alice is a good-natured girl dealing with growing up. Naylor deals with everyday issues in a realistic but light-hearted way.

A parent objected to this book in my library because a character experiences her first pelvic exam, the doctor mentions masturbation, and Alice's brother uses the word "ejaculate." All these are dealt with in a way that is acceptable (in my opinion) for middle school readers. In fact, Alice and her family set a great example for teen gir
Heather
Mar 22, 2011 Heather rated it liked it
As I mentioned in my review of "Alice in April," an earlier book in this series, I love the characters in these books, particularly Alice's family. This story provides good doses of both humor and tough stuff, as do the rest of the Alice books that I've read. I didn't think this one was quite as funny as "Alice in April," though, and it seemed sort of repetitive: Alice still wants Miss Summers and her dad to get together and they still are moving too slowly for her. I would have liked to see mor ...more
Elissa
Jul 29, 2014 Elissa rated it liked it
Alice wants to get her life in order, so she focuses her attention on marrying off her dad, because she believes everything will be easier with a mother figure. Meanwhile, another boy is interested in Alice.

Book takes place: Christmas and early spring of 8th grade.
Alice's life lessons: Happiness is wanting what you already have.
Best Alice moment(s): Alice and Patrick's drum lesson; dancing with Sam at the Valentine's Day dance; Elizabeth's pelvic; Christmas with Sylvia; Sylvia's announcement
♡ Kristina
Aug 27, 2013 ♡ Kristina marked it as to-read
Banned Books 2011
Reasons: nudity; offensive language; religious viewpoint

Banned Books 2006
Reasons: offensive language and sexually explicit

Banned Books 2003
Reasons: sexual content, offensive language, unsuited to age group

Banned Books 2002
Reasons: homosexuality, sexually explicit, unsuited to age group

Banned Books 2001
Reasons: sexually explicit, unsuited to age group
Morgan B
Jan 12, 2010 Morgan B rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Alice Alice Alice, i love this books. this one is one of my favorites for sure. i gave this book four stars because it was wonderful. it kept me laughing. i laughed so hard i cried. it was hilarious. you should read this book if you have read and love the alice books. the next book in this series is Alice Alone.
Celine Parker
Jun 13, 2009 Celine Parker rated it it was amazing
In this Alice book, Alice learns what it means to stray from the one you love and be confused all together on who that might be. If Alice knows Partick is right for her, why is her heart telling her she should be with someone else? And why is Sylvia interested in another man when she has Alice's father?
Valerie
Mar 22, 2013 Valerie rated it really liked it
I love the Alice books,and have recommended them to my students....Now they have finally found a following at school. The "updated, fresh new" frilly covers do NOT draw my middle school students to them. They like the versions with the more mature looking covers, but once they've dug inside they're sold, thank goodness!
Sara
Apr 01, 2013 Sara rated it really liked it
Shelves: leituras-de-2013
Este livro é de leitura rápida e nele acompanhamos os amores de Alice e do seu pai. Alice quer que a sua antiga professora de Inglês se case com o seu pai e quando esta se mostra indecisa entre o pai dela e o vice-diretor da sua escola não a compreende. Mas o destino troca-lhe as voltas e ela vê-se numa situação idêntica: não sabe se gosta mais de Sam ou de Patrick.
Kricket
Mar 24, 2008 Kricket rated it really liked it
Shelves: middle-grade, 2010
book 10. in which miss summers decides to spend a year teaching in england, and alice freaks out. she also begins to feel hot & bothered about patrick, but surprises herself by feeling attracted to another dude.
Emma
Apr 12, 2012 Emma rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This used to be my favorite of the series, but now I just find it to be a tad boring. Nothing in particular stands out about it. Alice didn't seem to experience really any growth throughout this book. To be completely honest this installment feels like fluff. Take it or leave it.
Lindsey
Sep 25, 2008 Lindsey rated it liked it
B
Jun 14, 2011 B rated it really liked it
Megan
Jun 07, 2013 Megan rated it liked it
This book was ok. It wasn't my favorite and it wasn't very interesting. I think at some parts it was good but at others it could have had more work. Over all it wasn't very good.
Ecila
Apr 29, 2013 Ecila rated it it was amazing
THIS WAS MY FAVORITE ALICE BOOK.
Gangsterchica23
Sep 01, 2009 Gangsterchica23 rated it it was amazing
well wat i read so far its a good book i have th hole series
Brian
Nov 02, 2013 Brian rated it liked it
Alice wants her dad to get married to her old teacher. But her teacher may have the eyes for another. Her friends have the usual sexual problems. Overall this was a quick but good read.
Andd Becker
Feb 10, 2015 Andd Becker rated it liked it
The tenth book in the Alice series features eighth-grader Alice not minding her own business.
Fiona
Jul 22, 2008 Fiona rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: GIRLS 13 and older. Some material may be found... Questionable.
Shelves: books-i-hated
The adventures of thirteen-year-old Alice McKinnley.
D.K
May 14, 2016 D.K rated it it was amazing
Such a good series! Achingly Alice gave me a good laugh and Phyllis always does a good job keeping the reader into the book!
Slone
May 03, 2011 Slone rated it liked it
I think it comes home to Alice that feelings of love and like (and confusion about them) are not just the province of teens.
  • The Facts Speak for Themselves
  • Detour for Emmy
  • Karen's Doll Hospital (Baby-Sitters Little Sister, #35)
  • Competition's a Witch (Salem Witch, #2)
  • Mates, Dates, and Sizzling Summers (Mates, Dates, #12)
  • Arming America: The Origins of a National Gun Culture
  • The Stupids Take Off (The Stupids, #4)
  • Amber Brown Is Feeling Blue
  • Crazy Lady!
  • Popular (Popular, #1)
  • Life is Funny
  • Hold on Tight (Hannah Montana, #5)
  • Jessica's Cookie Disaster (Sweet Valley Twins, #89)
  • Daddy's Roommate
  • Face the Music (Hannah Montana, #9)
Phyllis Reynolds Naylor was born in Anderson, Indiana, US on January 4, 1933.

Her family were strongly religious with conservative, midwestern values and most of her childhood was spent moving a lot due to her father's occupation as a salesman.

Though she grew up during the Depression and her family did not have a lot of money, Naylor stated that she never felt poor because her family owned good boo
More about Phyllis Reynolds Naylor...

Alice (1 - 10 of 25 books)
  • The Agony of Alice (Alice, #1)
  • Alice in Rapture, Sort of (Alice, #2)
  • Reluctantly Alice (Alice, #3)
  • All But Alice (Alice, #4)
  • Alice in April (Alice, #5)
  • Alice In-Between (Alice, #6)
  • Alice the Brave (Alice, #7)
  • Alice in Lace (Alice, #8)
  • Outrageously Alice (Alice, #9)
  • Alice on the Outside  (Alice, #11)

“Happiness is wanting what you have.” 4 likes