Curiosity Killed the Cat Sitter (A Dixie Hemingway Mystery #1)

Curiosity Killed the Cat Sitter (A Dixie Hemingway Mystery #1)

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  1,519 ratings  ·  173 reviews

Until three years ago, Dixie Hemingway was a deputy with the Sarasota County Sherriff's Department in southwest Florida. Then came a tragic accident. Now Dixie's a pet-sitter on Siesta Key, a lush, exotic barrier island where the people tend to be rich, suntanned, and tolerant of one another's quirks.
As Dixie tried to get her life back in order, pet-sitting is the perfect
Published January 2nd 2007 by Minotaur Books (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Curiosity Killed the Cat Sitter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Curiosity Killed the Cat Sitter

Anne Hawn Smith
I wasn't as fond of this book as I thought I might be. The plot is simple and fits the cozy mystery genre, but I got tired of all of the posturing the author does throughout the book. Dixie was a Sarasota Sheriff's Deputy until her husband and daughter were killed and she became emotionally unstable. She gets embroiled in an investigation when one of the cats she cares for is found cowering in a corner and a man is found duck taped to the cat's water bowl. Dixie has an uneasy feeling about the w...more
Tracey
Well this was one of those reads that surprised me at how good it was. Now I love animals but when they are the focus of the story I tend to avoid them but in this instance the mystery worked very well as it was based around Dixie's job as a pet sitter.

Dixie Hemingway is a 32 year old ex-Deputy who had struggled over the past 3 years to cope with overwhelming depression of losing her loved ones in a tragic accident. This book does well to highlight that Dixie has basically let life go by the pas...more
Rebecca
Wow..i really did not like this book..for several reasons..i do not care for foul language in a cozy and there was a fair amount in this book..it was fairly depressing ..and i didn't care for the plot or the outcome..i will definitely not continue with this series
Bird
Jan 28, 2011 Bird marked it as didnt-finish
I'm not rating this since I only got about 15% of the way through. But I can definitively say that I'm relieved I got this on paperbackswap rather than actually paying for it.

My issue is that the writing is just bizarre.

Example #1 (talking about cats being indifferent): "Then they'll raise their tails to show you their little puckered anuses and walk away." (p5)

Example #2 (while grooming a client's cat): "I turned Fred so that his anus faced her while I brushed the hair around it." (p48)

Um, rea...more
Tracy
I abandoned this book (and author) with no regrets.

Reason #1: Apparently the main character has some sort of big bad in her background that caused her to leave the police force and become a pet-sitter. There were hints and occasional surface explanations, but nothing that explained much. If this is to be a defining aspect of why the main character is who she is, then explain it - don't make me extrapolate.

Reason #2: Weird writing style. Do I really care about cat anuses or that the 'blessed air...more
Ellen
"Curiosity Killed the Cat Sitter"

Dixie Hemingway finds herself cat/pet sitting at this stage of her life. This was not her first choice as a career. She was a deputy sheriff in Sarasota Florida. The unfortunately events that led to this change of careers she has yet to fully cope with. Dixie had a caring and loving husband with an adorable little girl, Christy. Both are gone and she's left with an emptiness and an ache in her heart that needs to be mended and filled.

Dixie's way of mending is to...more
Diane
Genre: Cozy mystery, who-done-it, female sleuth.

How I found this? I was looking for something like the Lily Bard series by Charlaine Harris (which I've read an embarrassing number of times. I also wanted something read by Narrator Julia Gibson, who's voice I'm kind of obsessed with.

Don't let the cover fool you. I found myself tearing up at some points. Daisy used to be a deputy until a tragedy happened. Now she is a pet sitter and takes that very seriously. NO, she didn't get raped. There's en...more
Linda
I found the second book in the series and so wanted to read the first one before digging in to that one. I'm not crazy about cats but I appreciate the love and care that Dixie Hemingway offers to feline and canine clients. So does a cat owner who ends up murdered but not before ensuring in many ways that Dixie will be involved with her cat.

Dixie comes by being a crime solver naturally. She used to work for the Sheriff's Department before a horrible tragedy. It leaves her scarred and broken but e...more
CindyLulu
Okay, I am a mystery - suspense fan. Love a good mystery, but this wasn't even a great mystery. I rather find out who was "knocked off" when the body is discovered; not when a writer says: "This will be the last time I see her/him alive". Ms. Clement has done this type of mystery writing "discovery" in two of her books. I recommend her "Duplicity Dogged the Dachshund" at least you don't know the Who, What, Where, When, Why, and How, until Dixie herself stumbles upon it.

The plot in Curiosity Kill...more
Christina Jones
I love a good mystery, especially a fast-read cozy, and I love cats. So, I thought this might be a good fix and ordered the first 5 from the library and read them in order. They are fast reads, almost too simple, but the first one was entertaining enough to make me continue on to the next in the series. I was a little put off by the discussion of cat rear-ends (not the part of the cat that I am fond of looking at), but she seemed to drop that approach in later books and stuck to other, more inte...more
Samantha
Entertaining, but not fantastic. The story of Dixie Hemingway, a Sarasota, FL Sheriff's Deputy turned cat sitter. One early morning Dixie discovers a clients house ransacked and a man dead in the cat's water bowl. Dixie finds herself smack dab in the middle of the case--as a prime suspect and uninvited investigator! I have to be honest, I had the murderer wrong and that doesn't usually happen in books of this ilk so I definitely enjoyed the surprise! While this was not a fantastic read, it was e...more
Elia
This book should have been a lot of fun. I like murder mysteries and I like animals, perfect match, right? Nope. The author kept annoying me with her choice of language. It was just unnecessary and started to bog down the whole story. And I don't mean swearing, I can handle that. :)
Richard Ward
Two of my favorite things in the whole wide world are:
1. Kitty cats (I have 3) and
2. Murder mysteries, especially of the old-school variety.
For people like me, we have an embarrassment of riches in any given library or bookstore, with cat-themed mystery series beyond counting. The problem quickly becomes sorting out the good from the bad, with plenty of cat-themed murder mysteries that are just not good literature. You can't redeem a bad book by simply mixing in a cat.

Reading others' reviews

Maam
I was expecting this to be more of a cozy mystery type book but it was more graphic and had too much bad language and sexual references to qualify for that genre. Author definitely had a message she wanted to get across and the characters were a bit too stereotypical. The story though was suspenseful enough to keep my interest to figure out whodunit. Not sure yet if I'll read any more in the series.
Chelsea
This was an ok cozy mystery. I liked the Florida setting, and the characters were interesting, but I figured out the solution long before it was revealed, which is always a bit disappointing. Also, the author added some random crudeness that had no bearing on the story, and came across as an effort to be edgy that I only found tasteless and weird. Not planning on revisiting this series!
Rebecca
This wasn't a great book. It wasn't bad but I couldn't get into it either. I borrowed it from my local library due to the picture of the cat on the front and cat in the title. I prefer the "Cat who..." series as they are much shorter, whereas this book dragged you through parts quite a bit.
Michele
I loved this! It was a great story...great characters....but it takes place on Siesta Key in Sarasota, Florida. I used to go down to Siesta Key and visit my grandparents and know many of the places and recognize the roads and restaurants.
Linda Puente
The cover is comical but the murder is grisly. Not quite a cozy, this tale has a collection of interesting characters who are a little outside the typical community while being quite believable.
Book Concierge
It's a promising debut, but the plotting is weak. She wraps things up a little too neatly at the end, and without enough explanation. I'll try one more because she shows promise.
Erin
I had to put this one down after the first two chapters...rampant leftism, annoying characters, too much talk about cat anuses. Needs some serious editing.
Gwen Mayo
Entertaining. Blaize Clement has a great sense of place. I love the Florida Gulf Coast and Dixie makes me feel like I'm there.
Nancy
Some of the language and situations were more graphic than I preferred, but the story itself was interesting.
Whitaker
A really great book shows us how everything is great and worth to die for
Kat
bookczuk
A cozy little cozy, which looks like it could be the start of a series. Not bad.

From the Publisher
"Until three years ago, Dixie Hemingway was a deputy with the Sarasota County Sheriff's Department in southwest Florida. Then came a tragic accident. Now Dixie's a pet-sitter on Siesta Key, a lush, exotic barrier island where the people tend to be rich, suntanned, and tolerant of one another's quirks." "As Dixie tries to get her life back in order, pet-sitting is the perfect job. She goes into peop...more
Jami
This was a fun and quick read. I liked the cat sitter aspect and I also like the heroine's attitude and at times salty language! There were a couple of parts where I actually laughed out loud. It was a good start to a series, but I'm not sure whether or not I will continue with the entire series. This is probably one that I would pick up if was in the mood for a light read. The characters are fun and I can see that there is plenty of room for character development as the series progresses.

I list...more
RC
Ana T.
Ever since I joined the Cozy Mystery group I've been discovering a whole new genre.

I was a big Agatha Christie and Erle Stanley Gardner fan when I was growing up but in this past decade I've read very few mysteries and the ones I did were more thrillers or suspense novels.

This month book for discussion is Blaize Clement's Curiosity Killed the Cat Sitter. This is the first book in the Dixie Hemingway series. Dixie is a Pet Sitter, she used to be a deputy in the Sheriff's Department but a persona...more
Amy Palmer
Oct 08, 2010 Amy Palmer rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: cozy mystery fans, cat lovers
Dixie Hemingway was a deputy in the local sheriff's department when her life was turned upside down. She left her law enforcement career to become a pet sitter and leave her former life behind. On one of her routine assignments checking on a cat whose owner hired Dixie to watch her pet while she was out of town, Dixie discovers a dead body face down in the cat's water dish. All signs point to Dixie as a suspect; she had a key to the house where the body was found, nobody had seen her on her earl...more
Pat
Aug 30, 2008 Pat rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who can handle cozy and not-so-cozy mysteries
Recommended to Pat by: free convention book
This book was a mystery con "freebie" from a while back. (Author: Blaize Clement)

I was SO happy when I finally read it and realized that two more in the series (after this, the 1st) had been published, since I enjoyed it so much.

Dixie was a police officer until her husband and daughter were killed in a tragic auto accident a few years back ... something she's still trying to work through.

Since then she started a professional pet-sitter service in a small Florida key town, serious about her work...more
  • The Cat, the Quilt and the Corpse (A Cats in Trouble Mystery, #1)
  • Dead Canaries Don't Sing (Reigning Cats & Dogs Mystery, #1)
  • Double-Booked for Death (Black Cat Bookshop Mystery, #1)
  • The Big Kitty (Sunny & Shadow Mystery, #1)
  • Sit, Stay, Slay (Kendra Ballantyne, Pet-Sitter Mystery #1)
  • Die Buying (A Mall Cop Mystery, #1)
  • Curiosity Thrilled the Cat (Magical Cats, #1)
  • Through a Glass, Deadly (A Glassblowing Mystery, #1)
  • Whiskey on the Rocks (A Whiskey Mattimoe Mystery #1)
  • Tressed to Kill
  • Hounding the Pavement (Dog Walker Mysteries, #1)
  • The Chocolate Cat Caper (A Chocoholic Mystery, #1)
  • A Pedigree to Die For (Melanie Travis, #1)
  • Stuck on Murder (A Decoupage Mystery, #1)
  • Delicious and Suspicious (A Memphis BBQ Mystery #1)
  • The Quick and the Thread (An Embroidery Mystery, #1)
  • Button Holed (Button Box Mystery, #1)
  • Murder Past Due (Cat in the Stacks, #1)
My passion is people. I think people are absolutely magnificent. Not the power-hungry heads of governments or churches or corporations who justify all kinds of horror if it suits their goals, but the rest of us. In spite of the awful things some human beings do in order to control other human beings, most people are peacefully going about their own business, and I applaud that. Families are the ba...more
More about Blaize Clement...
Duplicity Dogged the Dachshund (A Dixie Hemingway Mystery #2) Even Cat Sitters Get the Blues (A Dixie Hemingway Mystery #3) Raining Cat Sitters and Dogs (A Dixie Hemingway Mystery #5) Cat Sitter on a Hot Tin Roof (A Dixie Hemingway Mystery #4) Cat Sitter Among the Pigeons (A Dixie Hemingway Mystery, #6)

“They say God never gives us more than we can handle, but sometimes I think God has overestimated what I can take.” 110 likes
“Perfume companies ought to bottle the smell of crisp bacon. Forget pheromones. I’ll bet a woman with a little spot of bacon grease behind her ears would attract every male within a five-mile radius.” 17 likes