Start by marking “Curiosity Killed the Cat Sitter (A Dixie Hemingway Mystery #1)” as Want to Read:
Curiosity Killed the Cat Sitter (A Dixie Hemingway Mystery #1)

Curiosity Killed the Cat Sitter (A Dixie Hemingway Mystery #1)

3.87  ·  Rating Details ·  2,135 Ratings  ·  239 Reviews

Until three years ago, Dixie Hemingway was a deputy with the Sarasota County Sherriff's Department in southwest Florida. Then came a tragic accident. Now Dixie's a pet-sitter on Siesta Key, a lush, exotic barrier island where the people tend to be rich, suntanned, and tolerant of one another's quirks.

As Dixie tried to get her life back in order, pet-sitting is the perfect
Published January 2nd 2007 by Minotaur Books (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Curiosity Killed the Cat Sitter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Curiosity Killed the Cat Sitter

Jonathan
Really 4.5 stars, but I rounded up.

I simply couldn't put this book down; it was THAT good! I started this last night and went to bed with 80 pages read, but every single spare second I got today I picked it back up. Filled with stunning descriptions and chilling scenes this book was by far a winner!

Dixie was one of the realest, most relatable MCs I've read in a while. She was blunt, yet Ms. Clement did a wonderful job of making her perfectly realistic and in no way was Dixie annoying. The other
Anne Hawn Smith
May 06, 2011 Anne Hawn Smith rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery, cozy-mystery
I wasn't as fond of this book as I thought I might be. The plot is simple and fits the cozy mystery genre, but I got tired of all of the posturing the author does throughout the book. Dixie was a Sarasota Sheriff's Deputy until her husband and daughter were killed and she became emotionally unstable. She gets embroiled in an investigation when one of the cats she cares for is found cowering in a corner and a man is found duck taped to the cat's water bowl. Dixie has an uneasy feeling about the w ...more
Bird
Jan 11, 2011 Bird marked it as didnt-finish
I'm not rating this since I only got about 15% of the way through. But I can definitively say that I'm relieved I got this on paperbackswap rather than actually paying for it.

My issue is that the writing is just bizarre.

Example #1 (talking about cats being indifferent): "Then they'll raise their tails to show you their little puckered anuses and walk away." (p5)

Example #2 (while grooming a client's cat): "I turned Fred so that his anus faced her while I brushed the hair around it." (p48)

Um, rea
Tracy
Nov 16, 2011 Tracy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: abandoned
I abandoned this book (and author) with no regrets.

Reason #1: Apparently the main character has some sort of big bad in her background that caused her to leave the police force and become a pet-sitter. There were hints and occasional surface explanations, but nothing that explained much. If this is to be a defining aspect of why the main character is who she is, then explain it - don't make me extrapolate.

Reason #2: Weird writing style. Do I really care about cat anuses or that the 'blessed air
Rebecca
Jul 31, 2012 Rebecca rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cozy-mystery, dogs, cats
Wow..i really did not like this book..for several reasons..i do not care for foul language in a cozy and there was a fair amount in this book..it was fairly depressing ..and i didn't care for the plot or the outcome..i will definitely not continue with this series
Ellen
"Curiosity Killed the Cat Sitter"

Dixie Hemingway finds herself cat/pet sitting at this stage of her life. This was not her first choice as a career. She was a deputy sheriff in Sarasota Florida. The unfortunately events that led to this change of careers she has yet to fully cope with. Dixie had a caring and loving husband with an adorable little girl, Christy. Both are gone and she's left with an emptiness and an ache in her heart that needs to be mended and filled.

Dixie's way of mending is to
Michele
Dec 28, 2011 Michele rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved this! It was a great story...great characters....but it takes place on Siesta Key in Sarasota, Florida. I used to go down to Siesta Key and visit my grandparents and know many of the places and recognize the roads and restaurants.
Diane
Genre: Cozy mystery, who-done-it, female sleuth.

How I found this? I was looking for something like the Lily Bard series by Charlaine Harris (which I've read an embarrassing number of times. I also wanted something read by Narrator Julia Gibson, who's voice I'm kind of obsessed with.

Don't let the cover fool you. I found myself tearing up at some points. Daisy used to be a deputy until a tragedy happened. Now she is a pet sitter and takes that very seriously. NO, she didn't get raped. There's en
Debra
Mar 14, 2015 Debra rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Don't let the cutesy title fool you. This is much more than a cozy mystery! My reviews don't contain descriptions of the character or a synopsis of the plot. You can get that from the book jacket or Amazon's review. Suffice it to say, the protagonist, Dixie Hemingway, Professional Pet Sitter, Ex Sheriff's Deputy, in Siesta Key, Florida, is involved in some pretty fascinating crimes for someone you would think is in a relatively safe occupation. I have only read two of her books, but they keep ge ...more
Linda
Aug 11, 2011 Linda rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: from-library, cozy
I found the second book in the series and so wanted to read the first one before digging in to that one. I'm not crazy about cats but I appreciate the love and care that Dixie Hemingway offers to feline and canine clients. So does a cat owner who ends up murdered but not before ensuring in many ways that Dixie will be involved with her cat.

Dixie comes by being a crime solver naturally. She used to work for the Sheriff's Department before a horrible tragedy. It leaves her scarred and broken but e
CindyLulu
Okay, I am a mystery - suspense fan. Love a good mystery, but this wasn't even a great mystery. I rather find out who was "knocked off" when the body is discovered; not when a writer says: "This will be the last time I see her/him alive". Ms. Clement has done this type of mystery writing "discovery" in two of her books. I recommend her "Duplicity Dogged the Dachshund" at least you don't know the Who, What, Where, When, Why, and How, until Dixie herself stumbles upon it.

The plot in Curiosity Kill
Becky Gray
May 28, 2015 Becky Gray rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
I have been reading a lot of best seller lit books recently and thought I needed a break. So, I picked up this cozy little mystery. It really didn't do the trick - either my tastes have changed or it just wasn't that great of a book. Struggled through the first half, fairly interested in the last half and the ending was flat. There are more books in this series but I'm just not that invested in the character to find out what happens.
Elia
Sep 02, 2014 Elia rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book should have been a lot of fun. I like murder mysteries and I like animals, perfect match, right? Nope. The author kept annoying me with her choice of language. It was just unnecessary and started to bog down the whole story. And I don't mean swearing, I can handle that. :)
Nancy
Jun 27, 2011 Nancy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011
Some of the language and situations were more graphic than I preferred, but the story itself was interesting.
Gwen Mayo
Aug 26, 2010 Gwen Mayo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Entertaining. Blaize Clement has a great sense of place. I love the Florida Gulf Coast and Dixie makes me feel like I'm there.
Linda Puente
Sep 02, 2013 Linda Puente rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries
The cover is comical but the murder is grisly. Not quite a cozy, this tale has a collection of interesting characters who are a little outside the typical community while being quite believable.
Whitaker
Dec 10, 2010 Whitaker rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A really great book shows us how everything is great and worth to die for
Meg
Dec 12, 2015 Meg rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Predictable yet pleasurable. A perfectly fine beach read, even with no beach in sight.
Emma
Nov 02, 2016 Emma rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This woman is an absolute hoot. She doesn't really care what people think of her. She's wonderful at taking care of animals and actually knows some things about them. I absolutely feel for her with the loss of her family but at the same time she is a wonderful person who deserves to be loved like that again. I guess we'll see what happens with Guidry.
Kathleen
Aug 08, 2016 Kathleen rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
There will be a spoilery TW at the end of this review. I'm including it because it was really upsetting and I think would be really upsetting to a sufficient number of people.

WOW so where do I start? There were a few things I liked about this book and a lot of things I really really hated.

The good: Cora was really cool and I liked her a lot. There was a wheelchair user character who seemed potentially interesting but got very little screen time. I'm hoping he will be in more books later; it seem
Anna
Jan 07, 2017 Anna rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
I rounded up a half a star to be polite, but this really was not a good book. Poorly edited with many loose threads, and ultimately unsatisfying.
Kelli
Feb 07, 2017 Kelli rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Kat
Jun 11, 2012 Kat rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Heidi Burkhart
Jan 07, 2017 Heidi Burkhart rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was another small town setting for a rather improbable mystery. Still, I like Dixie, the main character and didn't lose interest in the story. Entertaining.
Ana T.
Dec 02, 2007 Ana T. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ever since I joined the Cozy Mystery group I've been discovering a whole new genre.

I was a big Agatha Christie and Erle Stanley Gardner fan when I was growing up but in this past decade I've read very few mysteries and the ones I did were more thrillers or suspense novels.

This month book for discussion is Blaize Clement's Curiosity Killed the Cat Sitter. This is the first book in the Dixie Hemingway series. Dixie is a Pet Sitter, she used to be a deputy in the Sheriff's Department but a persona
Kim j
Feb 27, 2012 Kim j rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: clement
I loved it. Been reading them out of order because of how I bought them. It does not matter. It is refreshing to read about a pet-sitter and the murders she encounters. She is not a PI or trying to be. Yes she is an ex-cop and that helps but she does not over do it. She is like an every day person and her descriptions are wonderful. The book is fun and so enjoyable. I love it and highly recomend it. Going on to the others. Keep writing this series as I see that it has stopped?

** I am rereading t
Shannon Teper
Feb 08, 2016 Shannon Teper rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cozies
An excellent read for the open minded, not recommended if you are homophobic, easily offended by the mere mention of a cat's anus, or severely Republican. This is a cozy that breaks a lot of unwritten cozy rules--there is some sexual content and more intense crime scene description than you typically get in a cozy. I actually found that these aspects added realism, led me to take the book a bit more seriously, and made the story feel more true to life than the usual cozy. It also had a strong th ...more
Amy Palmer
Aug 03, 2010 Amy Palmer rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: cozy mystery fans, cat lovers
Dixie Hemingway was a deputy in the local sheriff's department when her life was turned upside down. She left her law enforcement career to become a pet sitter and leave her former life behind. On one of her routine assignments checking on a cat whose owner hired Dixie to watch her pet while she was out of town, Dixie discovers a dead body face down in the cat's water dish. All signs point to Dixie as a suspect; she had a key to the house where the body was found, nobody had seen her on her earl ...more
Helen
Dec 23, 2016 Helen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good start to what may be an interesting series. I suspect some readers may be uncomfortable with some of the issues dealt with in the book, but for me, it makes it more complex and interesting than the average cozy.
Pat
Aug 30, 2008 Pat rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who can handle cozy and not-so-cozy mysteries
Recommended to Pat by: free convention book
This book was a mystery con "freebie" from a while back. (Author: Blaize Clement)

I was SO happy when I finally read it and realized that two more in the series (after this, the 1st) had been published, since I enjoyed it so much.

Dixie was a police officer until her husband and daughter were killed in a tragic auto accident a few years back ... something she's still trying to work through.

Since then she started a professional pet-sitter service in a small Florida key town, serious about her work
  • Sit, Stay, Slay (Kendra Ballantyne, Pet-Sitter Mystery #1)
  • Dead Canaries Don't Sing (Reigning Cats & Dogs Mystery, #1)
  • The Cat, the Quilt and the Corpse (A Cats In Trouble Mystery, #1)
  • Curiosity Thrilled the Cat (A Magical Cats Mystery, #1)
  • Whiskey on the Rocks (A Whiskey Mattimoe Mystery #1)
  • Murder Past Due (Cat in the Stacks, #1)
  • Double-Booked for Death (Black Cat Bookshop Mystery, #1)
  • The Big Kitty (Sunny & Shadow Mystery, #1)
  • Hounding the Pavement (Dog Walker Mysteries, #1)
  • The Anteater of Death (A Gunn Zoo Mystery, #1)
  • A Tisket, A Tasket, A Fancy Stolen Casket (A Callie Parrish Mystery #1)
  • Wreath of Deception (Craft Corner, #1)
  • A Crafty Killing (Victoria Square, #1)
  • The Long Quiche Goodbye (A Cheese Shop Mystery, #1)
  • Paws for Murder (Pet Boutique #1)
  • Die Buying (A Mall Cop Mystery, #1)
  • Quickstep to Murder (A Ballroom Dance Mystery #1)
  • Delicious and Suspicious (A Memphis BBQ Mystery #1)
My passion is people. I think people are absolutely magnificent. Not the power-hungry heads of governments or churches or corporations who justify all kinds of horror if it suits their goals, but the rest of us. In spite of the awful things some human beings do in order to control other human beings, most people are peacefully going about their own business, and I applaud that. Families are the ba ...more
More about Blaize Clement...

A Dixie Hemingway Mystery (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Duplicity Dogged the Dachshund (A Dixie Hemingway Mystery, #2)
  • Even Cat Sitters Get the Blues (A Dixie Hemingway Mystery, #3)
  • Cat Sitter on a Hot Tin Roof (A Dixie Hemingway Mystery, #4)
  • Raining Cat Sitters and Dogs (A Dixie Hemingway Mystery, #5)
  • Cat Sitter Among the Pigeons (A Dixie Hemingway Mystery, #6)
  • The Cat Sitter's Pajamas (A Dixie Hemingway Mystery, #7)
  • The Cat Sitter's Cradle (A Dixie Hemingway Mystery, #8)
  • The Cat Sitter's Nine Lives (A Dixie Hemingway Mystery, #9)
  • The Cat Sitter's Whiskers (A Dixie Hemingway Mystery, #10)
  • The Cat Sitter and the Canary (A Dixie Hemingway Mystery, #11)

“They say God never gives us more than we can handle, but sometimes I think God has overestimated what I can take.” 111 likes
“Perfume companies ought to bottle the smell of crisp bacon. Forget pheromones. I’ll bet a woman with a little spot of bacon grease behind her ears would attract every male within a five-mile radius.” 17 likes