Aske i munnen, sand i skoa

Aske i munnen, sand i skoa

3.7 of 5 stars 3.70  ·  rating details  ·  71 ratings  ·  10 reviews
Seks år gamle Arvid bor på Veitvet i Oslo og har en far som arbeider på en skofabrikk og en mor som er dansk. Forholdet mellom Arvid og faren står i fokus i disse novellene. Dette er forfatterens litterære debut.
Published 2008 by Oktober (first published 1987)

Courtney
At times hilarious, at others desperately lonely, a lovely little book that proved a joy to read.
Erika
A small book, which is really a set of disjointed short stories told by the child Arvid. Very Norwegian in phrase (which as usual is quaint and adorable). Arvid is the holy fool of sorts - seeing things as they really are with a kind of innocence that cuts through adult ways of being and seeing. The book itself was unsatisfying, I think it is the prequel to a later novel about the adult Arvid. I am curious to see if the later novel is more satisfying.
"He held his hands to his face as if to keep...more
Russell George
This is the first of Per Peterson’s novels – though this is probably the length of a novella – and it reminded me again that he does childhood very well. Particularly an experience of childhood shadowed by uneasy adults who drink too much, and all the foreboding that that situation brings. Again, there’s no real story as such, but rather a series of episodes which gradually bring clarity to the family and the town they live in.
Claire McAlpine
This is Per Petterson’s first book, though only recently translated (by Don Bartlett) into English following the success of his novel Out Stealing Horses (translated into 40 languages) and the sequel to this novel , my personal favourite I Curse the River of Time.

Ashes in My Mouth, Sand in My Shoes provides a literary snapshot of a childhood growing up in the outskirts of Oslo, Norway in the early 1960′s. His father works in a shoe factory and his Danish mother used to work in a chocolate factor...more
Scotchneat
I read this in English, of course. This was Petterson's debut novella.

It follows Arvid as he grows from 6 years old up. Life is a bit of a mystery, a scary one, to Arvid. His father loses the job he loves and his mother really doesn't get him.

Arvid wets his bed, gets scared by death, and fears growing up. It's a bit uneven, but captures a slice of family life.
Mandy
In this short and gentle portrait of a young boy growing up in a working-class suburb of Oslo in the 1960s, Per Petterson deftly and with great tenderness captures the thoughts and feelings of 6 year old Arvid as he tries to make sense of the sometimes confusing world around him. His often hazy understanding of what is happening comes across clearly in Petterson’s usual concise and spare prose and beautifully captures the world through Arvid’s eyes. His relationship with his father is particular...more
Rebecca Kent
A book of basically short stories from a child's point of view. The Norwegian way of story telling - soft and sweet and quaint, makes the reading enjoyable, but not enough to make this book satisfying - for me anyway.
An
Ik hou van de heldere stijl. De humor die zo subtiel is dat je 'm bijna niet ziet. Van de manier waarop Petterson (onder meer) over ingewikkelde volwassenen vertelt door de ogen van een jongen van acht. Mooi mooi mooi.
Ben
Per Petterson is a modern master. To my knowledge, he's not written a sentence that wasn't true.
Adrienne
Adrienne is currently reading it
Jul 11, 2014
Russell
Russell marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2014
Grace
Grace marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2014
Charles Lee
Charles Lee marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2014
Sebastian Fischer
Sebastian Fischer marked it as to-read
May 23, 2014
Kamil
Kamil marked it as to-read
May 19, 2014
Sienna
Sienna marked it as to-read
May 03, 2014
Camilla
Camilla marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Petterson knew from the age of 18 that he wanted to be a writer, but didn't embark on this career for many years - his debut book, the short story collection Aske i munnen, sand i skoa, (Ashes in the Mouth, Sand in the Shoes) was published 17 years later, when Petterson was 35. Previously he had worked for years in a factory as an unskilled labourer, as his parents had done before him, and had als...more
More about Per Petterson...
Out Stealing Horses I Curse the River of Time To Siberia In the Wake It's Fine By Me