Start by marking “Storm Front (The Dresden Files, #1)” as Want to Read:
Storm Front (The Dresden Files, #1)

Storm Front (The Dresden Files #1)

4.02 of 5 stars 4.02  ·  rating details  ·  161,505 ratings  ·  9,020 reviews
Lost items found. Paranormal Investigations. Consulting. Reasonable rates. No Love Potions, Endless Purses, or Other Entertainment. Harry Dresden is the best and technically the 'only' at what he does. So when the Chicago P.D. has a case that transcends mortal capabilities, they come to him for answers. For the 'everyday' world is actually full of strange and magical thing ...more
Published September 2005 by Orbit (first published January 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Storm Front, please sign up.

Jill I always tell everyone to not stop during the first four books. It's after four that the series really starts to find it's footing. The biggest…moreI always tell everyone to not stop during the first four books. It's after four that the series really starts to find it's footing. The biggest complaints up till then were: too generic-pulp and hard to feel connected to Harry. Book Five shatters the Generic Pulp charge with some incredibly inventive and horrific villains. Sometimes a story is as good as it bad guys… book five is good. Book five and six both address the getting personal charge—Susan comes back temporarily in book five and some seriously personal reveals and game-changers happen in book six. The two books sends the series on a broad right turn. Book Seven kicks it into high gear and by the end, it's in hyperdrive. Starting with book seven and beyond, you need to fasten your seatbelt, put on a helmet and turn off the phones and don't make any plans for as long as it takes to read those books. You won't have any doubts as to why The Dresden Files are the top UF series on Goodreads and almost anywhere else. You just have to slog through the first tour books and trust that they do indeed get REALLY GOOD! — Those early books take on an important value as building blocks for the rest of the series, I would not recommend skipping them. If you find them hard to get through, you could start with book five and go back later to pick up those earlier books. I found book four to be the weakest. But so much is set up in books 3 and 4 for later books. Especially book 3. The whole series has one gigantic story arc that will culminate on a "BIG APOCALYPTIC TRILOGY". Happy Reading! — for help with characters, places and creatures, go to the Dresden Files Wiki on Wikia (google it).(less)
Syd I've only read book 1. I liked it, but there's a lot in it that you may not wish a 12-year old to read. Without spoilers, there are graphic…moreI've only read book 1. I liked it, but there's a lot in it that you may not wish a 12-year old to read. Without spoilers, there are graphic descriptions of crime scenes, sex and lustful relationships, and black magic.

You may wish to consider the Fated: Alex Verus series - I think it's similar but less sex and gore, if I recall correctly? In Iron Druid Chronicles - GREAT series - there are definitely swear words but I think the content might be better too. Maybe look into these options? Good luck!(less)

Nataliya
Dec 04, 2013 Nataliya rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of humorous urban fantasy
Let me tell you how a wisecracking Chicago wizard-for-hire with the most rotten luck imaginable won a permanent spot in my heart, making me a devout Dresdenite.

'Twas a week before USMLE Step 1, the most important test for any medical school student as it pretty much determines which medical specialty you are supposedly smart enough to pursue. Basically, the stakes were high and the stress reached the previously unknown heights. By then my poor average-sized brain has been fully stuffed with all
Siria
Dec 03, 2013 Siria rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Not a single person.
Patrick

I never got around to reading these books until The Name of the Wind was published. And when I first did, I was a little pissed. First person point of view. Magic based on thermodynamics. Gritty, realistic world. Arrogant wizard who doesn't know when to keep his mouth shut. It struck rather close to home....

Some people say that the first few books of this series were kinda rough. But I didn't notice anything particularly untoward about them. In fact, I burned through the whole series (11 books
Jesse
Dec 03, 2013 Jesse rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: lovers of bad writing and raping of the noir genre
You know, the premise of this book actually sounded good. A wizard P.I., sure why not. I like wizards and I like P.I.s, so what could be the problem. The problem was I over estimated this author's abilities.

The main character is like some kind of emotionally retarded uber-geek's idealized life. He lives in a basement and subbasement. He ALWAYS wears a black duster and cowboy boots (even when he's wearing sweats and a t-shirt). He has an abnormally large alley cat that likes to drink coke and doe
Jessica ❁ Elsecaller ❁ at Rabid Reads
Reviewed by: Rabid Reads

Lover of Urban Fantasy that I am, it may come as a surprise that before now . . . I have never actually . . . read Jim Butcher . . .

I KNOW. I'm such a poser.

In my defense, I haven't had much luck with male authors in the genre, and come on . . . we're up to what? FIFTEEN installments, with the SIXTEENTH already in the works, so yeah---DAUNTING. Cut me some slack. And besides, better late than never, right?

Also, I'm holding all of you partially to blame, b/c someo
Kat Kennedy
The Dresden Files is one of those books that's intimidating to approach. It has a hard-core fan group that will scream its praises from the top of the roof. Usually, I would approach with extreme caution. I rarely read a series when I've been assured that it gets good after six books. When people tell me that, I simply quietly encourage them to read the Fever Series and avert eye contact.

However, after a discussion regarding male readers and writers of the Urban Fantasy genre, I felt I should gi
Markus
"My name is Harry Blackstone Copperfield Dresden. Conjure by it at your own risk. I'm a wizard. I work out of an office in midtown Chicago. As far as I know, I'm the only openly practicing professional wizard in the country. You can find me in the yellow pages, under 'Wizards.' Believe it or not, I'm the only one there."

Harry Dresden is Chicago’s only wizard. One day he is contacted by a nervous woman who wants him to investigate the mysterious disappearance of her husband, whom she thinks has d
✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans)
Unexpected BR with my girls Robin & Shelly. And some other people. But I have no idea who they are. I'm sure they're lovely. Then again they might not be. Oh well. It wouldn't make any difference if they were. I'm a total BR slut anyway.

Robin wants it known that she didn't recommend this to me. I wonder why. (view spoiler)

Pointless review #2586 coming right up!

Ladies & gentlemen... Introducing… Harry Dresden, aka Book Boyfriend
Mike (the Paladin)
Okay, some who have looked at my other reviews will immediately note I gave this book 5 stars which I noted earlier I save for very special books. I plan to give the Dresden books (so far anyway) 5 stars. Why? Well while they are not Dumas or Dickens (but then again...I'm not sure I'd regularly be giving Dickens 5 stars, how much Dickens can we all really take anyway???) these are wonderful absorbing reads. Special Books.

I won't be giving a long synopsis of each book... I will say they are an or
Brooke
Jun 12, 2007 Brooke rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Buffy fans
Shelves: 2007, own, fantasy
Earlier this year, I greatly enjoyed the first season of the Sci Fi Channel's The Dresden Files. It certainly wasn't Buffy or X-Files caliber, as far as paranormal television goes, but it was great escapism fun with some interesting characters. As I'm likely to do after discovering that something I watched and enjoyed was based on a book, I went out and got the first book in the series.

I read the 300-pages of Storm Front in less than 24 hours, and it was such a relief to read something light aft
Will M.
Harry Blackstone Copperfield Dresden is a wizard. He is also a detective, and he's best at what he does. When a suspicious magic related murder occurred, the Chicago P.D. comes to him for answers. Aside from that though, he also has other personal cases at hand.

My very first Urban Fantasy novel. I've been wanting to read this for months now, and I'm glad that I finally did. Crime/Detective-Fantasy is something new to me, but not anymore. Two of my favorite genres combined, and executed wonderfu
Conor
Storm Front is the first book in Jim Butcher’s genre-defining Urban Fantasy series ‘The Dresden Files’. Despite being the first in a 15 book series Storm Front was surprisingly easy to get into and even worked well as a standalone story. This was my first time reading Urban Fantasy and I found it to be an enjoyable read with a funny, likeable protagonist, fast placed plot filled with plenty of twists and turns and an extensive cast of diverse, well-written secondary characters. While I was frust ...more
Sath
Decided to try this series, as I keep hearing 'Dresden files' everywhere for some reason, and apparently it's even a tv series? I couldn't let an urban fantasy get so popular without knowing what its about!

There are many mixed reviews about this, some love it and some hate it. But I am suprised at the negative reviews, as many complaints could be raised against the genre as a whole, but if you pick up an urban fantasy book - don't you know what you're getting into? I've seen complaints about th
Laurel
Hot damn, that was a fun read! I know full well the reason I've been avoiding the series was that I would get hooked, and have even more books on my to-read shelf, but I just can't help it! Dresden is a sarcastic, bitter, tongue in cheek rogue that would make Han Solo proud. The plot moves quickly, the action is imaginative, and the humor puts the perfect cherry on top. What a great character!
Hunger For Knowledge
Oh Harry Blackstone Copperfield Dresden, where have you been all my life. Buried somewhere in my enormous to-be-read pile, obviously. I am so glad I finally found you, saved you from the dust, and made my reading life more fulfilling and complete.

Hearts. Hearts. Hearts. Hearts. And more hearts. My dear hormones are all over this book, and circling around Jim Butcher for creating something as awesome than The Dresden Files.

Storm Front reminds me of those old school crime detective stories I not o
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja)
Harry Dresden is a wizard for hire. His advert even says so. Enter a very interesting character in the urban fantasy genre. Having grown up in the Chicago area, it's very cool to see this fine city through the eyes of an interesting guy like Harry. In some respects, he's a very normal guy. However he truly is a wizard. He inherited his magical abilities from his deceased mother, and makes a living at it. Helping people. He also works for the Police Department solving crimes of an unusual nature. ...more
Lindsey Rey
I enjoyed this way more than I was expecting! I cannot wait to get my hands on the next one.
StoryTellerShannon
This is a revised review as of 4/14/2013. Several of the images were off Google Image detailing the graphic novel for visual impact but this is an actual review of the novel.

Tale focuses on a man, well, not just a man, but, a wizard in current day Chicago who uses his magical powers to solve mysteries. Most of them focus on the supernatural and there's a whole underbelly of mythical creatures which mortals are mostly unaware of . .. vampires, werewolves, enemy wizards, faeries, ghosts, etc.

ST
Sh3lly (Not all those who wander are lost)

Harry is a struggling wizard/investigator. Everything seems to go wrong for him. He can't even have a normal date without frog demons showing up trying to eat them all. He does side work for the police - and none of them really believe anything he says either. His wizard brethren want him dead as well. Let's just say we should assume no one likes Harry in this book.

Except his big old cat, Mister, who eats steak sandwiches and hides his shoes. And sometimes Bob, the spirit trapped in a
Robin (Bridge Four)
The buddy with a few of my friends at Buddies Books and Baubles

Harry Dresden is not your sauvé hero type, he has trouble with money, women, demons and keeping his clothing on. But he does have actual business cards.

description

Actually the clothing problem seemed almost worse then than some of his other dilemmas. You try fighting evil naked or in sweats and cowboy boots and see how well you fair. He does seem to have a few wizard tricks up his sleeve and a pretty cool lab equipped with an awesome helper tra
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
Dear Harry Blackstone Copperfield Dresden,

description

First of all, the audiobook edition of this story is freaking incredible. James Marsters could recite the dictionary and I'd be hanging on his every word, but combine that voice with the awesome writing of Jim Butcher and I'm in heaven, I'm simply in HEAVEN!

The "first book info dump" wasn't too bad here. I easily kept up with the world-building and I loved what the author created. I loved everything about it, actually. My only issue with this story was
Brad
I imagine that some people will complain that Butcher's Storm Front is misogynist, and I can see where they're coming from -- to a point. There is a bad Vampiress who runs a brothel, there are a couple of prostitutes, a sexually abused woman, a sexy journalist, and a tough, rough-cut female cop. I can see these characters striking a nerve with some women, thereby stripping any enjoyment of the book for them.

And fair enough.

But these characters are classic archetypes in the fictions Jim Butcher
Diane Librarian
Wizards and Vampires and Detectives, oh my!

This was a fun fantasy-meets-crime fiction book, and I have my Goodreads friends to thank for pointing me toward it. I hadn't heard of Jim Butcher or The Dresden Files until I saw several good reviews from fellow readers.*

Harry Dresden is a wizard in Chicago who finds lost items for clients and who investigates paranormal activities. One day he gets a call from Chicago Police wanting his advice on a strange murder case, and that same day he also meets a
Becky
Jan 29, 2012 Becky rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Becky by: Urban Fantasy Aficionados
I enjoyed this book immensely. If this is the "weak" start to the series, then I am really really excited for the rest of it. I was drawn into this book from the very start, and I just couldn't put it down.

I loved Harry, the wit, the humor, the magic system, the concept, Bob, Mister, all of it. I loved the frustration and the annoyance at every wrench thrown in the works.

I figured things out before Harry did, but that's OK. The details were unpredictable enough for me that even though I knew t
Lisa Kay
*Harry Blackstone Copperfield Dresden, with his trademark long black leather duster jacket, blasting rod and staff, and pentacle necklace. Those, along with his general disheveled appearance.
description

I’m in love with a wizard. One cynical, irascible Harry Dresden, resident ‘anti-hero’ of Chicago, Illinois. People tried to tell me how wonderful he was, but I didn’t listen. He story is like reading a fantasy for the new millennium set in 1940’s film noir – but with brilliant moments of lush Technicolor th
Stephen
3.5 stars. I really enjoyed this book. It is not real deep, but it does not try to be. I does try to be extremely entertaining without being campy and I think it succeeds brilliantly. Excellent and highly recommended.
Richard Reviles Censorship Always in All Ways
Rating: A very, very meager 3* of five

Chicago isn't a place I willingly go, because it's just never been fun to be there. If Chicago starts being like Harry Dresden's Chicago, I will think about it a little bit harder.

Dresden, the only "out" wizard practicing in Chicagoland, has a number of problems: Making the rent; finding a date; convincing his spirit-guide-cum-computer to do its job and not editorialize about his life; avoid the Doom of Damocles that hangs over his head from a past transgres
Amber
This book was terrible. The kind of terrible where I had to force myself to read the last half in a day just so I could be done reading it. The kind of terrible that made me reevaluate all the ratings of books I have previously given because I remembered what type of book I save one star ratings for. The kind of terrible where I roll my eyes at least once per page. The kind of terrible where I literally throw the book across the room when I'm done both out of frustration and out of the primitive ...more
AH
I had been meaning to read this series for a long time. Finally, I found a male lead character in an Urban Fantasy. A main character named Harry - and he was a wizard. So, right away, I had images of a kid with glasses and a lightning scar on his forehead. But this is Harry Dresden. Nothing at all like Harry Potter. Harry Dresden is a wizard who works as a private investigator. He investigates the paranormal and consults with the local police department.

Reading this novel made me feel like I ha
Jaime
Re-read. Because everyone else is doing it.

Original rating **** (which frankly surprised me, I didn't know I liked it so much)

All done. My rating isn't changing. I kind of want to date Harry - although I'm not sure about his wearing sweats with cowboy boots....

Also, Chicago is one of my favourite places in the world. So, I will generally be quite fond of books based there.
  • Hexed (The Iron Druid Chronicles, #2)
  • Thicker Than Water (Felix Castor, #4)
  • Roadkill (Cal Leandros, #5)
  • Sharper Than a Serpent's Tooth (Nightside, #6)
  • Ashes of Honor (October Daye, #6)
  • The Dresden Files: Storm Front, Volume 2: Maelstrom
  • Unquiet Dreams (Connor Grey, #2)
  • Monster Hunter Legion (Monster Hunter International, #4)
  • Chosen (Alex Verus, #4)
  • Dark and Stormy Knights
  • Child of Fire (Twenty Palaces, #1)
Jim Butcher is the author of the Dresden Files, the Codex Alera, and a new steampunk series, the Cinder Spires. His resume includes a laundry list of skills which were useful a couple of centuries ago, and he plays guitar quite badly. An avid gamer, he plays tabletop games in varying systems, a variety of video games on PC and console, and LARPs whenever he can make time for it. Jim currently resi ...more
More about Jim Butcher...

The Dresden Files (1 - 10 of 17 books)
  • Fool Moon (The Dresden Files, #2)
  • Grave Peril (The Dresden Files, #3)
  • Summer Knight (The Dresden Files, #4)
  • Death Masks (The Dresden Files, #5)
  • Blood Rites (The Dresden Files, #6)
  • Dead Beat (The Dresden Files, #7)
  • Proven Guilty (The Dresden Files, #8)
  • White Night (The Dresden Files, #9)
  • Small Favor (The Dresden Files, #10)
  • Turn Coat (The Dresden Files, #11)
Fool Moon (The Dresden Files, #2) Grave Peril (The Dresden Files, #3) Summer Knight (The Dresden Files, #4) Death Masks (The Dresden Files, #5) Dead Beat (The Dresden Files, #7)

“Paranoid? Probably. But just because you're paranoid doesn't mean there isn't an invisible demon about to eat your face.” 1251 likes
“Have you ever felt despair? Absolute hopelessness? Have you ever stood in the darkness and known, deep in your heart, in your spirit, that it was never, ever going to get better? That something had been lost, forever, and that it wasn't coming back?” 289 likes