Storm Front (The Dresden Files, #1)

Storm Front (The Dresden Files #1)

4.02 of 5 stars 4.02  ·  rating details  ·  118,295 ratings  ·  6,967 reviews
Harry Dresden -- Wizard

Lost items found. Paranormal Investigations.
Consulting. Advice. Reasonable Rates.
No Love Potions, Endless Purses, or
Other Entertainment.

Harry Dresden is the best at what he does. Well, technically, he’s the only at what he does. So when the Chicago P.D. has a case that transcends mortal creativity or capability, they come to him for answers. For the...more
Published September 2005 by Orbit (first published January 1st 2000)

Death Drop by Sean AllenHuman Instincts by Ioana VisanThe Merchant and the Menace by Daniel McHughPoseidon’s Children by Michael  WestAlbion Imperilled by Ruth  Thomas
Favourite Fantasy & Sci-Fi Books
10th out of 63 books — 44 voters
Catching Fire by Suzanne CollinsThe Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsHarry Potter Boxset by J.K. RowlingMockingjay by Suzanne CollinsA Song of Ice and Fire, 5 Book Set Series by George R.R. Martin
Best Fantasy
71st out of 102 books — 18 voters

More lists with this book...

Nataliya
Dec 04, 2013 Nataliya rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: Fans of humorous urban fantasy
Let me tell you how a wisecracking Chicago wizard-for-hire with the most rotten luck imaginable won a permanent spot in my heart, making me a devout Dresdenite.

'Twas a week before USMLE Step 1, the most important test for any medical school student as it pretty much determines which medical specialty you are supposedly smart enough to pursue. Basically, the stakes were high and the stress reached the previously unknown heights. By then my poor average-sized brain has been fully stuffed with all...more
Siria
Dec 03, 2013 Siria rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: Not a single person.
Kat Kennedy
The Dresden Files is one of those books that's intimidating to approach. It has a hard-core fan group that will scream its praises from the top of the roof. Usually, I would approach with extreme caution. I rarely read a series when I've been assured that it gets good after six books. When people tell me that, I simply quietly encourage them to read the Fever Series and avert eye contact.

However, after a discussion regarding male readers and writers of the Urban Fantasy genre, I felt I should gi...more
Jesse
Dec 03, 2013 Jesse rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: lovers of bad writing and raping of the noir genre
You know, the premise of this book actually sounded good. A wizard P.I., sure why not. I like wizards and I like P.I.s, so what could be the problem. The problem was I over estimated this author's abilities.

The main character is like some kind of emotionally retarded uber-geek's idealized life. He lives in a basement and subbasement. He ALWAYS wears a black duster and cowboy boots (even when he's wearing sweats and a t-shirt). He has an abnormally large alley cat that likes to drink coke and doe...more
Patrick

I never got around to reading these books until The Name of the Wind was published. And when I first did, I was a little pissed. First person point of view. Magic based on thermodynamics. Gritty, realistic world. Arrogant wizard who doesn't know when to keep his mouth shut. It struck rather close to home....

Some people say that the first few books of this series were kinda rough. But I didn't notice anything particularly untoward about them. In fact, I burned through the whole series (11 books...more
Brooke
Jun 12, 2007 Brooke rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: Buffy fans
Shelves: 2007, own, fantasy
Earlier this year, I greatly enjoyed the first season of the Sci Fi Channel's The Dresden Files. It certainly wasn't Buffy or X-Files caliber, as far as paranormal television goes, but it was great escapism fun with some interesting characters. As I'm likely to do after discovering that something I watched and enjoyed was based on a book, I went out and got the first book in the series.

I read the 300-pages of Storm Front in less than 24 hours, and it was such a relief to read something light aft...more
Sath
Decided to try this series, as I keep hearing 'Dresden files' everywhere for some reason, and apparently it's even a tv series? I couldn't let an urban fantasy get so popular without knowing what its about!

There are many mixed reviews about this, some love it and some hate it. But I am suprised at the negative reviews, as many complaints could be raised against the genre as a whole, but if you pick up an urban fantasy book - don't you know what you're getting into? I've seen complaints about th...more
Mike (the Paladin)
Okay, some who have looked at my other reviews will immediately note I gave this book 5 stars which I noted earlier I save for very special books. I plan to give the Dresden books (so far anyway) 5 stars. Why? Well while they are not Dumas or Dickens (but then again...I'm not sure I'd regularly be giving Dickens 5 stars, how much Dickens can we all really take anyway???) these are wonderful absorbing reads. Special Books.

I won't be giving a long synopsis of each book... I will say they are an or...more
Laurel
Hot damn, that was a fun read! I know full well the reason I've been avoiding the series was that I would get hooked, and have even more books on my to-read shelf, but I just can't help it! Dresden is a sarcastic, bitter, tongue in cheek rogue that would make Han Solo proud. The plot moves quickly, the action is imaginative, and the humor puts the perfect cherry on top. What a great character!
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads)
Harry Dresden is a wizard for hire. His advert even says so. Enter a very interesting character in the urban fantasy genre. Having grown up in the Chicago area, it's very cool to see this fine city through the eyes of an interesting guy like Harry. In some respects, he's a very normal guy. However he truly is a wizard. He inherited his magical abilities from his deceased mother, and makes a living at it. Helping people. He also works for the Police Department solving crimes of an unusual nature....more
StoryTellerShannon
This is a revised review as of 4/14/2013. Several of the images were off Google Image detailing the graphic novel for visual impact but this is an actual review of the novel.

Tale focuses on a man, well, not just a man, but, a wizard in current day Chicago who uses his magical powers to solve mysteries. Most of them focus on the supernatural and there's a whole underbelly of mythical creatures which mortals are mostly unaware of . .. vampires, werewolves, enemy wizards, faeries, ghosts, etc.

ST...more
Brad
I imagine that some people will complain that Butcher's Storm Front is misogynist, and I can see where they're coming from -- to a point. There is a bad Vampiress who runs a brothel, there are a couple of prostitutes, a sexually abused woman, a sexy journalist, and a tough, rough-cut female cop. I can see these characters striking a nerve with some women, thereby stripping any enjoyment of the book for them.

And fair enough.

But these characters are classic archetypes in the fictions Jim Butcher...more
Lisa Kay
*Harry Blackstone Copperfield Dresden, with his trademark long black leather duster jacket, blasting rod and staff, and pentacle necklace. Those, along with his general disheveled appearance.
description

★★★★½ I’m in love with a wizard. One cynical, irascible Harry Dresden, resident ‘anti-hero’ of Chicago, Illinois. People tried to tell me how wonderful he was, but I didn’t listen. He story is like reading a fantasy for the new millennium set in 1940’s film noir – but with brilliant moments of lush Technicol...more
Becky
Jan 29, 2012 Becky rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Becky by: Urban Fantasy Aficionados
I enjoyed this book immensely. If this is the "weak" start to the series, then I am really really excited for the rest of it. I was drawn into this book from the very start, and I just couldn't put it down.

I loved Harry, the wit, the humor, the magic system, the concept, Bob, Mister, all of it. I loved the frustration and the annoyance at every wrench thrown in the works.

I figured things out before Harry did, but that's OK. The details were unpredictable enough for me that even though I knew t...more
Stephen
3.5 stars. I really enjoyed this book. It is not real deep, but it does not try to be. I does try to be extremely entertaining without being campy and I think it succeeds brilliantly. Excellent and highly recommended.
Sandi
Aug 08, 2008 Sandi rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Sandi by: SciFi and Fantasy Book Club September Theme Book
Shelves: fantasy, cross-genre, 2008
I have seen an episode or two of “The Dresden Files” on the SciFi Channel, so I thought I knew what to expect from “Storm Front.” I was completely wrong. The TV series didn’t even come close capturing the essence of at least the first book. It wasn’t gritty enough or dark enough or exciting enough. What’s the best way to describe Harry Dresden and “Storm Front”? Combine Ellery Queen, Clint Eastwood, Jason Bourne and Buffy Summers. Throw in an evil wizard, a vampire madam, a talking skull, the Ma...more
Jim
It was a fun read, but I'm a bit turned off by the angst that the hero, Harry, carries around. He has his reasons, but I prefer a more upbeat character. He seems a bit too resigned to a crappy world. This might be relieved in the next book, so I plan to read it shortly. There is a LOT of potential here for a great series & so many others have told me they like it. I've seen bits of the TV series, which was good.

The setting & plot were good. It's our world with a slight twist - magic exis...more
Mara
The premise for this book/series is not dissimilar to that of endless cop/detective shows, books etc.- our protagonist is an unconventional sort, not easy to work with, a loaner by nature, distrusted by many, but has some special skill that some member of the police force knows is too valuable to pass up. In this case, that certain je ne sais quoi is that Harry Dresden is a Wizard.

Dresden is no Merlin, Harry Potter or Gob Bluth (I said wizard, not illusionist- try to keep up people)! He can't al...more
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
Dear Harry Blackstone Copperfield Dresden,

description

First of all, the audiobook edition of this story is freaking incredible. James Marsters could recite the dictionary and I'd be hanging on his every word, but combine that voice with the awesome writing of Jim Butcher and I'm in heaven, I'm simply in HEAVEN!

The "first book info dump" wasn't too bad here. I easily kept up with the world-building and I loved what the author created. I loved everything about it, actually. My only issue with this story was...more
AH
I had been meaning to read this series for a long time. Finally, I found a male lead character in an Urban Fantasy. A main character named Harry - and he was a wizard. So, right away, I had images of a kid with glasses and a lightning scar on his forehead. But this is Harry Dresden. Nothing at all like Harry Potter. Harry Dresden is a wizard who works as a private investigator. He investigates the paranormal and consults with the local police department.

Reading this novel made me feel like I ha...more
Richard Reviles Censorship Always in All Ways
Rating: A very, very meager 3* of five

Chicago isn't a place I willingly go, because it's just never been fun to be there. If Chicago starts being like Harry Dresden's Chicago, I will think about it a little bit harder.

Dresden, the only "out" wizard practicing in Chicagoland, has a number of problems: Making the rent; finding a date; convincing his spirit-guide-cum-computer to do its job and not editorialize about his life; avoid the Doom of Damocles that hangs over his head from a past transgres...more
phyllis
Apr 21, 2007 phyllis rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: Anyone who likes a tiny bit of fantasy in their fiction
Shelves: bookcase
Isn't it great when you find a series of books that you really enjoy, and then can't wait for a new one to come out? The Harry Dresden series burst onto my bookcase last year, when I picked up book 7 at the library, on a whim, just before a business trip. 2 days into the trip, I'd finished the book (Dead Beat) and had found the local book store and bought the first in the series: Storm Front.

Ironically, in the first few pages, the book didn't really resonate for me, it took a bit to get into the...more
Karla
Wow was that fun!! So much to love about this book, but the narrator just blew me away!!! He is Harry Dresden!! Review to follow...
Richard
Jun 05, 2010 Richard rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: those seeking a very quick pulp fantasy read with pretty low expectations.
Recommended to Richard by: SciFi & Fantasy Group 2008-09 Fantasy Selection
Second update: Finally got around to looking at Butcher's website, and discovered his short story, Restoration of Faith. It's set before Storm Front, when Dresden is still an apprentice to another private detective. He meets Murphy for the first time. That he names the wealthy folks the "Astors" reminded me that he used to do cheesy obvious stuff like that. He gets better further in the series.

Update, months later: I discovered that I liked the first book enough to read the second, and have si...more
Megan Baxter
So, I've finally read the first Harry Dresden book, bringing my grand total up to two. My husband assures me they get better, and that's good to hear, because although this was fun, it also did not live up to my expectations, given all that I've heard about these books.

As you all undoubtedly know, this book introduces Harry Dresden, wizard. Who works as a wizard-for-hire, despite being under a suspended death sentence from the Council. For vague crimes in his past. (Okay, they're not that vague,...more
Michele Lee
Feb 09, 2008 Michele Lee rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: mystery and fantasy fans
Recommended to Michele by: I liked the tv show
The first book in the Dresden Files series (ten books and counting so far) is a refreshing wind for the urban fantasy genre and this reader. One of the cannon examples of urban fantasy, a blending of mystery and paranormal in a modern setting often with a touch of romance, Storm Front is slanted more toward suspense than romance.

Harry isn't another supernaturally endowed, kick-ass female heroine, taking on the world of evil and the world of men at the same time. Harry is a somewhat-awkward, tech...more
Kat
This book was something my husband stumbled onto. He picked up book 6 in the series because he liked the cover, started reading it and realized it wasn't the first book of the series. He went back to the bookstore and bought the first book, then DEVOURED the rest of them. I was skeptical; our tastes aren't the same in books, but he convinced me, and I have never regretted it! These books are hysterically funny, deeply creepy, intriguingly mysterious, and everything else I love about reading. A g...more
Shannon (Giraffe Days)
This book was recommended to me by several friends on Goodreads, though an equal number weren't impressed by it. I would have to put myself in the latter group, if I had to.

Harry Dresden is a wizard. He has a small office in Chicago and helps people find lost things and investigates ghosts, that sort of thing. He also helps the police in investigations when a crime can't rationally be explained.

It is one such case that draws him into a race against time to save his own neck: someone in the city...more
Amber
This book was terrible. The kind of terrible where I had force myself to read the last half in a day just so I could be done reading it. The kind of terrible that made me reevaluate all the ratings of books I have previously given because I remembered what type of book I save one star ratings for. The kind of terrible where I roll my eyes at least once per page. The kind of terrible where I literally throw the book across the room when I'm done both out of frustration and out of the primitive im...more
Aaron
May 11, 2007 Aaron rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: Fans of Glen Cook
The television adaptation of the novels is certainly not faithful. I'm curious as to why they changed so many inconsequential details (Murphy's first name for example) as well as some rather large ones (the nature of Bob the Skull). That being said, Jim Butcher's books are the literary equivalent of beer and pizza. They're fast, easy to get a hold of, satisfying over the short term, but really, not something that you'd want to build your entire diet around. Also, both have the potential for a ce...more
  • Hex and the City (Nightside, #4)
  • Hexed (The Iron Druid Chronicles, #2)
  • Spellbound (Grimnoir Chronicles, #2)
  • Cursed (Alex Verus, #2)
  • Dead Men's Boots (Felix Castor, #3)
  • Circle of Enemies (Twenty Palaces, #3)
  • Deathwish (Cal Leandros, #4)
  • Unquiet Dreams (Connor Grey, #2)
  • One Salt Sea (October Daye, #5)
A martial arts enthusiast whose resume includes a long list of skills rendered obsolete at least two hundred years ago, Jim Butcher turned to writing as a career because anything else probably would have driven him insane. He lives in Independence, Missouri, with his wife, his son, and a ferocious guard dog.
More about Jim Butcher...
Fool Moon (The Dresden Files, #2) Grave Peril (The Dresden Files, #3) Summer Knight (The Dresden Files, #4) Death Masks (The Dresden Files, #5) Dead Beat (The Dresden Files, #7)

23 trivia questions
2 quizzes
More quizzes & trivia...
“Paranoid? Probably. But just because you're paranoid doesn't mean there isn't an invisible demon about to eat your face.” 1092 likes
“Have you ever felt despair? Absolute hopelessness? Have you ever stood in the darkness and known, deep in your heart, in your spirit, that it was never, ever going to get better? That something had been lost, forever, and that it wasn't coming back?” 257 likes