Amelia O'Donohue is So Not a Virgin

Amelia O'Donohue is So Not a Virgin

3.17 of 5 stars 3.17  ·  rating details  ·  127 ratings  ·  28 reviews

I Never Tell Other People's Secrets...

Amelia O'Donohue was stunning. We all knew we were in the presence of tremendous beauty, humbled by her eyes and by her expensive designer clothes. We all deferred to her, waiting for her to initiate conversation, and hanging on every word she said.

So when Amelia asked for my help, What was I to do? Did I have a choice? It's not lik

Published (first published November 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Amelia O'Donohue is So Not a Virgin, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Amelia O'Donohue is So Not a Virgin

Nomes

I love Helen Fitzgerald's Adult Fiction, which are darkly funny, wild and always surprising. So I was pretty much absolutely thrilled to hear she had a YA novel coming out.

And it's got a different flavour to most YA out there. It's got the same trademark gutsy pacing - it doesn't linger over scenes but keeps pushing on forward making it a swift and page-flipping read.

I LOVED ADORED the Scottish setting. More please.

As a protagonist, Rachel is pretty different. She's a perfectionist, she's angsty...more
Chris Durr
Wow. I mean WOW. This book was BAD. I like the confessions of Georgia Nicolson, but this was some kind of awful. There is lots of unfunny humor, an abandoned pregnancy, pointless and unbelievable social isolation, naivety where there should be maturity and just plain boring writing. This book doesn't know which way is up and is not worth the time it takes to read it.
Beth

This one was unexpectedly great.

I LOVED Rachel Ross, the buttoned-up heroine of "Amelia O'Donohue Is So Not A Virgin." She's not always the most obviously likeable, but there is something incredibly endearing and loveable about her. As a fellow lonely, grade-obsessed neurotic, I really related to her and understood her. Fitzgerald has a brilliant way with her heroines - Rachel's voice is captivating and addictive, but she's also incredibly flawed, and she's oh so different from most gra...more
Karina Halle
3.5 stars.

Liked it more than I thought I would. Had a nice twist that I should have seen coming but didn't. Love those. In short, a quick read about a quirky girl who goes to boarding school in Scotland but manages to be a deeper look at family, sacrifices and the secrets we keep. Kind of went a bit disturbing there for a bit with the "big secret" but I like disturbing so it worked out fine for me!

Sheryl
Rachel goes to boarding school to escape family problems and further her academic goals. Once there, she becomes the girl everyone tells secrets to. She soon ends up with a huge problem of her own. This plot development comes out of nowhere and is extremely unbelievable.
Tina
Original post from One More Page

This book had me at "asthma". Being an asthmatic myself, I like reading about characters who deal with the same thing. Amelia O'Donohue Is So Not a Virgin sounds like a fun book from the title alone. Rachel Ross (sidenote: Friends reference, anyone? :D) is uptight...but that's okay, because her parents finally allowed her to go to the boarding school she wanted, so she can go to Oxford. She works hard to be the best in class, until she discovers a secret that cou...more
Barbara
This book is so not about Amelia O'Donohue.

It is about secrets, and the danger of keeping them too well hidden.

Rachel keeps secrets. Not her own, she keeps everyone else's secrets. She knows who had an abortion, who sneaks out in the middle of the night, who throws up to keep thin, and which teacher is messing around with which student. People tell her their secrets because she never tells. Once, years ago, she shared a secret that resulted in personal tragedy. Now, no matter what, she will not...more
Joy
Rachel Ross is the best at keeping secrets. At age 9 she told a secret that nearly destroyed her parents' marriage and sent them to exile on a Scottish island she hates--where her parents turned super-religious (the local style) and there are no opportunities. She has a boyfriend she doesn't like, no really close friends, and longs for an academic life in an elite boarding school. When she becomes involved in a local scandal, her parents finally send her to boarding school, where she becomes kno...more
Katrina
I'll be honest this book appeared on a goodreads list I was browsing and the title that caught my attention – which isn't very mature of me – and in all honesty I didn't really expect much of it. In spite of the rather odd title I did quite enjoy this book. I quite liked the character of Rachel and I was able to relate to her a fair bit as I tend to isolate myself and have been bullied as well. I also kind of understood how she felt i nwanting to get away but I did feel in many ways she was over...more
Tara Calaby
I picked up Amelia O'Donohue is So Not a Virgin because it looked like just the sort of light and fluffy read I love to bury myself in when I don't want to have to think to much about the book I'm reading. As it turns out, it fulfilled very few of my expectations, but proved an interesting and enjoyable read all the same.

The title and cover of Amelia O'Donohue is So Not a Virgin hint at a novel about friendships and enemies and teen gossip, but there is a greater depth to Helen Fitzgerald's wor...more
Liza Gilbert
I was pleasantly surprised by this book. The cover and title do not do the book any favors; I was expecting something rather forgettable.

One of the most unique qualities that this board school tale has going for it is Fitzgerald's Scottish setting and slang. There are many YA books set in England, but not very many set in Scotland.

It is difficult to review this book without ruining it for others since the book is primarily about secrets. However, it was a fast and engaging read and might serve w...more
Kath Ann
Secrets. After a stressful event in her family's life Rachel has learned at a young age to keep them. As Rachel goes away to a boarding school in Scotland for her senior year, she is thrilled to be out on her own and out of her gloomy home on a small dreary island with her ever depressed and non-communicative parents. Rachel's devotion to her studies, her reputation as a secret keeper and her ever increasing self isolation lead to a shocking climax.

I'd recommend this to a more mature female audi...more
Kiana.707 Brown
In the book Amelia O'Donohue is So Not a Virgin , it tells a story how one girl puts her life in another girl hands so she can keep her secert about not being a virgin. i like the book because it shows that the people that you never talk to or never knew was in your school, u can count on them and they might help you. i rated the book three stars because i wish it could have been more info in the first part and not long and boring. but i do like the book !!!!!!!!! :)
Ashley
Good things about this book: It was a short and very easy read, and I was actually surprised by the big reveal.

Bad things about this book: I couldn't stand any of the characters in it, I probably shouldn't have been surprised by the big reveal, and some parts ((view spoiler)) were really hard to read (possibly because I didn't really care.)
Diana
I wanted to give this book 4 stars, I really did. Even though the ending was wicked predictable (I saw it coming from almost the beginning of the "big secret"), it was interesting and fast paced. The only reason I'm dropping it down to 3 stars is for the gross mis/overuse of the word "retard," which didn't add anything to the story and only served to distract me and make me frustrated time and again.
Dailycheapreads
I am 40 percent of the way through this book and don't think I'll finish. After a promising beginning, the main character has turned into a spoiled whiner. Young adult readers may find the plot interesting, but there is not enough happening to keep me interested.
Mands
At first I thought this would just be a bit of a silly, fun read but the way the author explored the relationship between the MC and her friends and parents was so well done.
laurenpie
Wow! Deft writing!

The plot resolution really took me by surprise, and the writing style was much better than I expected! enjoyed this novel.
Gisbelle
I really like this book. It's funny and unpredictable. I also love the twist, even it's a bit "ridiculous" at some point.
Megan Anderson
It would've gotten more stars, except I guessed the twist at about the end of chapter 3. Well-written, though.
Eves
Not my usual kind of book, but I'm surprised that I liked it a lot. I never would have expected that ending. x
Arshin
Predicted the ending. It was good at first, then later didn't like it.
Tasha
LOVE THE TWITS!!! Never thought it would be a mysterious kind of book!
Magdalene
weirdest book I've ever read. Written so simply but is mindboggling.
Meagan Catherine
Wow! Total shocker..the ending completely surprised me
Angelica
Jan 04, 2011 Angelica marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
to read this book is np and its borning
PWRL
Apr 26, 2011 PWRL marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011-new
E
Banen Chaney
Banen Chaney marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2014
  • Are You Going to Kiss Me Now?
  • The Lucky Kind
  • This Gorgeous Game
  • Princess (American Princess, #1)
  • Five Parts Dead
  • Chasing Alliecat
  • So Many Boys (The Naughty List, #2)
  • Girl Saves Boy
  • The Exile of Gigi Lane
  • If I Could Fly
  • Teenage Waistland
  • Million Dollar Mates (Million Dollar Mates, #1)
  • Rosebush
  • Plus
  • Saltwater Moons
  • The Star Shack
  • Bad Apple
  • The Life and Times of Gracie Faltrain (Gracie Faltrain, #1)
Helen FitzGerald is the second youngest of thirteen children. She grew up in the small town of Kilmore, Victoria, Australia, and studied English and History at the University of Melbourne. Via India and London, Helen came to Glasgow University where she completed a Diploma and Masters in Social Work. She works part time as a criminal justice social worker in Glasgow. She's married to screenwriter...more
More about Helen Fitzgerald...
The Cry The Donor Dead Lovely Deviant The Devil's Staircase